PDA

View Full Version : Is there any back story for the armor?

14rdb
11-23-2006, 10:45 PM
I was curious if any of the extra materials comment on the COG armor.

I understand the main reason it's so bulky and includes glowing blue lights is because EPIC thought that looked bad-ass, but have they explained why for story-related reasons?

The suit's massive bulk and lights suggest that it is powered for some purpose. The fact that some of the soldiers don't have anything covering their arms and the general gameplay of GoW make it unlikely that the armor grants the wearer super-speed or super-strength or anything like that.

Perhaps it includes some high-tech medical systems (which could help explain the COG soldier's miraculous healing abilities) in addition to communication devices, etc.

Any insight/theories?

SniperGear=Hops
11-23-2006, 11:17 PM
probably a newly manufactured combat suit. for comms, internal injury repair. etc. who knkows

Damon Baird
11-23-2006, 11:41 PM
The lights are obviously to provide slight protection from the Kryll if they're stranded without anything. The armor's bulk is probably a bit powered, but there's no obvious battery packing of any sort. Perhaps it's why they're so muscled, as to be able to cary around the bulk. Then again, the armor's only thick around the throat and back. The rest looks pretty thin, but easily protected.

SniperGear=Hops
11-24-2006, 12:20 AM
also their must be some varients. because u can tell that dom, colonel.hoffman,and marcus have the bulkiest armour of all the COG's. but carmine, Lt.Kim, and baird have like a cut down versian with lighter design. But Cole has like a cut t-shirt type armour.

Rekkej
11-24-2006, 12:24 AM
also their must be some varients. because u can tell that dom, colonel.hoffman,and marcus have the bulkiest armour of all the COG's. but carmine, Lt.Kim, and baird have like a cut down versian with lighter design. But Cole has like a cut t-shirt type armour.

They couldn't make an armor big enough for the Cole Train. Although I know they had him originally fully armored,but after they got the voice actor for him...they just had to make his arms bulked up.

SniperGear=Hops
11-24-2006, 12:27 AM
ya lol. he sounded like everything was just a fun game. But still i think he is hilarious. i love his lines they make me laugh a lot

Aria
11-24-2006, 02:45 AM
I plan to elaborate the armor and it's uses in my novel, if you haven't already checked it out I'd do so now to get cuaght up, It's called Emergence and is located on this forum. As it stands it's not the CoG armor in my novel, it's instead an earlier version of it. But sometime during the novel I will have the actual GEAR armor implimented into the story.

The light aren't desgined nesscerally for defense against Kyrill, it is also there for use in low-light conditions. Fighting in a city and having such a built in light comes in handy when a vast majority of the citites lighting is either not powered or destroyed entirely.

GEAR armor is in most cases, tailored to fit the user, Cole may or may not have modified his armor, or what I like to call a field modification or Field Varient.

The armor itself operates much like the HEV suit in Half-life. It's stops bleeding and has magnets for attaching gear such as weapons or ammunition. As for protection purposes, the armor is not as "heavy" as it looks. Although they are no means light, they do reletively little in the form of blocking Direct Hits, as was suggested by fighting in cover most of the time in the game.

Mostly it was designed against shrapnel and richoches, and yes depending on the gun calibre, it is capable of taking direct hits on rare occasions. As for whether it is powered or not, most of characters in GoW were in prime physical condition, meaning that the actions they performed were from physical strength of the user and not because the suit was powered. I do beleive however that the suit does contain some slight power to run certain things such as the lights, although those of course could be just operating off of a battery.

Sorry I sound a little... weird, like intelligent, I just wrote a chapter where there's something of a nobility character and I'm kinda in that mood cause it makes me write easier.

Damon Baird
11-24-2006, 03:19 AM
If you look in the GoW artbook, there are four variants. Scout, Demolitions, Soldier, Heavy Weapon. It seems that the armor variations in the squad in the game consist of this mix. Baird and Carmine are in the Scout armor. Dom and Fenix are in the Soldier armor, and Cole is in the Heavy Weapons armor.

0v3rd0$3
11-24-2006, 04:46 AM
i think they were using the armor pre e day so the lights arent for kryll.plus you cant have "minor protection" from them lol they either hit you like a juicer or youre fine.i think the light system is for tyle/locating eachother in darkness,seeing as its on their weapons too like if they drop em they can find em.and i thought the thing right behind their head could be a power source/neck stand.

rossifumi
11-24-2006, 07:04 AM
lights are for kryll? that's laughable. you guys have played the game right?

the lights are for artistic license. nothing else. you wouldn't put lights on you in real life, b/c no matter what colour or shape you make them, they all say, "shoot here".

As for design, I don't know what came first, but I assume the design was copied from Unreal tournament. this is a rare case where I can forgive Epic for a bit of laziness b/c it's plainly the right choice.
http://www.epicgames.com/

specops527
11-24-2006, 10:46 AM
i too see unreal in this armor...but hey, who cares, its fits perfectly

musilowski
11-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Devs went for a futuristic samurai look for the armour, if I remember correctly. Not sure if they really got what they aimed for...

Nevertheless, I like it. No too bulky (see Gorge from UT200X), nor too light.

EDIT:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8392/407813200507061432317big3gz.jpg

The text in the lower left corner...

specops527
11-26-2006, 04:26 PM
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/46939/Unreal-Tournament-2007/
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/46938/Unreal-Tournament-2007/
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/46937/Unreal-Tournament-2007/

Look familiar? Unreal Tournament 2007

Kaine904
11-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Right down to the three lights on the shoulders....

SniperGear=Hops
11-26-2006, 04:56 PM
If you look in the GoW artbook, there are four variants. Scout, Demolitions, Soldier, Heavy Weapon. It seems that the armor variations in the squad in the game consist of this mix. Baird and Carmine are in the Scout armor. Dom and Fenix are in the Soldier armor, and Cole is in the Heavy Weapons armor.

hey damon where the hell did you find this out at. scout, demilitoins, soldier, and heavy weapon. could you post a link on where i could find that.

specops527
11-26-2006, 04:57 PM
i dont recall any variations of armor shown in the artbook, in fact i have it right now and don't see it.

SniperGear=Hops
11-26-2006, 04:59 PM
ya i know i have a feeling he is lying. because i just searched the artbook and found nothing talking about varients of armour. maybe his own theory most likely his theory

gow56
11-26-2006, 05:42 PM
I think that All the people in blue are newer to the COG army, and the people in grey are old members. IE: dom and marcus and cole, kima nad carmine and baird

SniperGear=Hops
11-26-2006, 05:43 PM
no GOW i doubt that higly

gow56
11-26-2006, 05:47 PM
and to explain cole, the old armor is bigger than the new armor.

SniperGear=Hops
11-26-2006, 05:48 PM
no they had no size of armour for Cole so they gave him a cut off armour so it would fit his huge arms

Reconciliation
11-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Pretty much.
If they fitted Cole's arms with armour, he would either look like the damn Silver Surfer, or those arms just wouldnt be able to bend.

specops527
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
thats what i thought for Cole, maybe the armor is diff because each person chooses, or at least veterans do. Cause it seems to me Dom has unique armor with cut sleeves and then it continues after his elbow

Reconciliation
11-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Im telling you, two words :-

Silver Surfer.

rudespartan117
11-27-2006, 01:37 PM
i just think that the armor may very to each persons rank or they just custimize it to their own likeness

14rdb
11-27-2006, 02:04 PM
ya i know i have a feeling he is lying. because i just searched the artbook and found nothing talking about varients of armour. maybe his own theory most likely his theory
He's not lying. A drawing of the initial concept of delta squad can be found in the art book that is included with the limited edition strategy guide (which is much more extensive than the art book included with the collector's edition of the game).

The classes shown are Scout, Player (what became Marcus), Heavy, and Demolitions. The armors are similar to what they ended up with in the game. 'Player' is a kind of a cross between Marcus' and Dom's while Marcus' final armor is like a bulkier version of the Scout armor.

Interestingly, there is a fifth class shown that didn't make the game: Buckethead -- a massive eight or nine foot tall mech power suit. Maybe we'll see the idea appear in the sequel.

There are also some drawings of the final armor with some helmets that didn't make the game (different from Carmine's) that look very cool.

rudespartan117
11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
[totally random speech]

god i wish i had the collectors eddition

SniperGear=Hops
11-27-2006, 08:23 PM
hey 14db then if thats true then post those pictures on this thread. so i can believe you

gow56
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
My theory rocks socks. The whole Vets: grey New: blue

SniperGear=Hops
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
That was pretty pointless, don't you think? -Frank

gow56
11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Why again is your name hops? because you can jump high or because your name is hopkins?

SniperGear=Hops
11-27-2006, 08:34 PM
both of just what you just said.

gow56
11-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I remember that from a diffrent post. something about new charectors and you wanted hopkins in the game. or Dan.

Your name= Daniel Hopkins

14rdb
11-27-2006, 10:44 PM
hey 14db then if thats true then post those pictures on this thread. so i can believe you
I doubt Epic would appreciate scans from a product they have a sales interest in appearing on their own message board, but I already told you where you can find it: the limited edition strategy guide. It's less than $20 at amazon and includes a very cool art book (the only reason I bought it in the first place).

SniperGear=Hops
11-27-2006, 11:03 PM
what why would i spend 20 bucks just too see some pictures. then ask one of the admins and see if you can have permission to show me some pictures of that art book of yours

14rdb
11-27-2006, 11:10 PM
And why should I go to all that trouble 'just so you can see some pictures'? It exists and I told you where you can see it for yourself if you really care about it that much.

musilowski
11-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Or could the blue armors be past Emergence Day armor and the gray armors pre ED armor?

Unreal Havoc
11-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I think that All the people in blue are newer to the COG army, and the people in grey are old members. IE: dom and marcus and cole, kima nad carmine and bairdCole and Baird were in a different squad which explains the colour difference on their armour.

Unreal Havoc
11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/gearsofwar/inside.php

This is the hardback book from the collectors edition. It shows some pictures of what the COG originally looked like in concept stages.

specops527
11-28-2006, 04:07 PM
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/scre...urnament-2007/

Look familiar? Unreal Tournament 2007

musilowski
11-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Cole and Baird were in a different squad which explains the colour difference on their armour.

Ahem, Cole and Baird were both on the Alpha squad, which Delta squad was sent to resque alongside with the resonator.

Or do you mean before Alpha squad?

gow56
11-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Or could the blue armors be past Emergence Day armor and the gray armors pre ED armor?

Ohh, back to my theory on that one:

older members*: grey
Newer members:blue

*in the case of cole, none of the newer, body shaped(like carmines) armor was that big, and the older ones were so they gave him an old one.

rudespartan117
12-04-2006, 01:29 PM
This should be merged into the wierd things in SP mode because they forgot the title and decided to talk about armors and they forgot this thread existed so now i brought it to the front page and hopefully it shall be revived

player69
12-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Any idea what alloy the armour is made of? My bet is carbon steel or possibly kevlar.

Punisher-117
12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
The armor could easily be made of an unknown substance, after all, were not talking about earth here, and the metals dont necessarily have to be the same.

rudespartan117
12-05-2006, 10:04 PM
yeah and Kevlar IS NOT metal just to let you know

Clum-Z-Boy
12-05-2006, 11:03 PM
yeah and Kevlar IS NOT metal just to let you know

Neither did he say that Kevlar was metal...

If the armor were to be produced with metals known to man... it would probably have to be the most lightweight (those things are huge), and it would have to be pretty strong too (which rules carbon fiber out).

That, or it could be pretty frail, with a layer of kevlar underneath... but then, what would be the point?

rudespartan117
12-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Lets look back at what he said: Any idea what alloy the armour is made of? My bet is carbon steel or possibly kevlar

Alooys is a mixture of a metal with a metal or another compound/mineral/Etc. so pretty much if he re-said it: Any idea what Metal the armour is made of? My bet is kevlar.

So as you see, my previous post is correct that the Armor can't possible be made of Kevlar because Kevlar IS NOT A METAL!

~Sorry of Being Rude, Its Just My Nature

Clum-Z-Boy
12-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Lets look back at what he said: Any idea what alloy the armour is made of? My bet is carbon steel or possibly kevlar

Alooys is a mixture of a metal with a metal or another compound/mineral/Etc. so pretty much if he re-said it: Any idea what Metal the armour is made of? My bet is kevlar.

So as you see, my previous post is correct that the Armor can't possible be made of Kevlar because Kevlar IS NOT A METAL!

~Sorry of Being Rude, Its Just My Nature

Usually when a person knows the word "kevlar," they know its meaning. It was probably just a syntax error. Not everyone goes over their posts.

Also, if your reply doesn't go towards contributing to the thread, would you mind not posting at all? It's a tad pointless. :rolleyes:

(Yes, I appreciate the irony in my statement)

player69
12-06-2006, 04:30 AM
I\'m sorry, for alloy i meant material :P And i said carbon steel not carbon fibre lol.

Plain-carbon steel is a metal alloy, a combination of two elements, iron and carbon, where other elements are present in quantities too small to affect the properties. The only other alloying elements allowed in plain-carbon steel are: manganese (1.65% max), silicon (0.60% max), and copper (0.60% max). Steel with a low carbon content has the same properties as iron, soft but easily formed. As carbon content rises the metal becomes harder and stronger but less ductile and more difficult to weld. from wikipedia...
Hm... I honestly thought kevlar was a type of metal, but according to wikipedia its just as strong.

Kevlar is the DuPont Company\'s brand name for a particular light but very strong aramid fibre. It was created in DuPont\'s labs in 1965 by Stephanie Kwolek and Herbert Blades, and was first used commercially in the early 1970s. It can be spun into ropes or sheets of fabric that can either be used as-is, or used in the construction of composite components. It is now used in a wide range of applications - from bicycles to body armor - due to its high strength-to-weight ratio, five times greater than that of steel.

Grey19
12-06-2006, 09:13 AM
The armour question is very interesting, and the subject leaves a lot of questions. I'll offer a few suggestions of my own.

1. Bulk

We know that Gear armour is very bulky and thick. The Gears themselves are extremly muscular, but even that much mucsle could not carry that much steel armour. The lights suggest some kind of mobile battery unit.

Currently in development in the modern US Military, we have in development what is called an "Objective Force Warrior". This suit is comprised of high-impact composites for armor, and has an artificial muscle system. Basically, an artificial muscle is an external "muscle" which detects when the wearer moves a limb and moves the entire limb armour. What this means, is basically is you were to pick up a large boulder, or try to to, the armour suit you are wearing does most of the lifting. This may be what Gears wear, or a form of it. The "muscles" could be anything from cables to hydraulic pistons, like are seen on the Seeders armour.

*Conclusion:

1.The Gears armour is comprised of a laminate-composite, most likely a Seran version of Chobham Armour.
2. There are several powerful batteries which power the "artificial muscle" in the "backpack" section of the armour.
3. The suit contains a electrical life-support system.

2. Lights.

On the shoulder straps of the armour suit, are three small lights. All are blue, similiar to the lights on COG weapons. These lights are built directly over a compact, armour section of the suit, suggesting an electrical system.
However, they are probably a part of the life-support system.

The question of whether they're "anti-kryll" UV lights is very interseting. However, to this I offer a "no". These lights do not provide enough lights to protect a Gear, and as such in no part of the game do they provide protection.

*Conclusion:

1. The lights are indicators of either battery power, or the amount of life a Gear has left.

Strangely enough, the Gears armour does not appear to be modular in any way, as one would think it would "or should" be.

Unreal Havoc
12-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Let's not forget that they are on another planet that will morfe than likely have different materials and minerals. They could have a really tough metal that is lightweight on Sera.

easilyaroused
12-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Kevlar is stronger then steel... so I agree more with grey's idea then the light weight metal :lol: I think if the lights protected against the kyrll then why did I walk into the dark and get ripped apart? Yeah I also agree that it has something to do with cog technology because the guns have the lights too.

rudespartan117
12-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Now where is that energizer bunny?

StuArk
12-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Anyone Remember this?

yuk!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/stu1515/FREEZE.jpg

wickedsteve
12-11-2006, 11:29 PM
[totally random speech]

god i wish i had the collectors eddition

I hope you have a microcenter near by. I saw a lot of collectors editions at my local microcenter. Maybe they even have em on their online store.

Unreal Havoc
12-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Kevlar is stronger then steel... so I agree more with grey's idea then the light weight metal :lol: I think if the lights protected against the kyrll then why did I walk into the dark and get ripped apart? Yeah I also agree that it has something to do with cog technology because the guns have the lights too.
There is no way the COG would be able to move the way they do realistically if they were wearing Kevlar, that stuff weighs a ton!

specops527
12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
The armour question is very interesting, and the subject leaves a lot of questions. I'll offer a few suggestions of my own.

1. Bulk

We know that Gear armour is very bulky and thick. The Gears themselves are extremly muscular, but even that much mucsle could not carry that much steel armour. The lights suggest some kind of mobile battery unit.

Currently in development in the modern US Military, we have in development what is called an "Objective Force Warrior". This suit is comprised of high-impact composites for armor, and has an artificial muscle system. Basically, an artificial muscle is an external "muscle" which detects when the wearer moves a limb and moves the entire limb armour. What this means, is basically is you were to pick up a large boulder, or try to to, the armour suit you are wearing does most of the lifting. This may be what Gears wear, or a form of it. The "muscles" could be anything from cables to hydraulic pistons, like are seen on the Seeders armour.

*Conclusion:

1.The Gears armour is comprised of a laminate-composite, most likely a Seran version of Chobham Armour.
2. There are several powerful batteries which power the "artificial muscle" in the "backpack" section of the armour.
3. The suit contains a electrical life-support system.

2. Lights.

On the shoulder straps of the armour suit, are three small lights. All are blue, similiar to the lights on COG weapons. These lights are built directly over a compact, armour section of the suit, suggesting an electrical system.
However, they are probably a part of the life-support system.

The question of whether they're "anti-kryll" UV lights is very interseting. However, to this I offer a "no". These lights do not provide enough lights to protect a Gear, and as such in no part of the game do they provide protection.

*Conclusion:

1. The lights are indicators of either battery power, or the amount of life a Gear has left.

Strangely enough, the Gears armour does not appear to be modular in any way, as one would think it would "or should" be.

or they just used the same idea from UT?

rudespartan117
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Well the creaters can do EVERYTHING with the game (People keep forgetting) so that means that they can move like two feet per min or 2 feet per nanosecond.

~Keep in thought: how can they Rogi-run with all that armor?