PDA

View Full Version : Gears Just Killed My Frickin 360!!!!!!!

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Ok,this is ridiculous. I have NEVER had any problems with my 360. NEVER. I bought it either last January or February. So today, I FINALLY get gears. I start up my system. Go into the system settings and set the resolution to 1280x1024(I had it set to 1024x768 for the THP8 demo). I then pop in the game. It tells me it needs an update. It updates, restarts the game. I go to start the campaign, and when I hit a to start it, it freezes. I'm like "ooookkay". I restart the system. The game boots, and THIS time is freezes at the "press start" screen. Now I'm getting worried. The next couple times I restart, The system freezes at random moments. I have pictures down there of a couple of them. And the finally, I get the frickin 3 red lights of death. WTF??!!! I have never had any problems with this system. I was last on it a couple days ago. Soo, yea. This positively blows. Gears killed my 360.

o yea, here are the pics.
http://www.imagehangar.com/view.php?pic=large/31454100_1163100893.jpg
http://www.imagehangar.com/view.php?pic=large/69794400_1163101005.jpg

KoKoS
11-09-2006, 02:40 PM
omg all these problems. I hope my 360 survives o_O

Magnum 50 Cal
11-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Ok, take the disc out. keep you 360 off for 5 minutes, then try to play another game to see if it works

WarDogg
11-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear that.

Quintin424
11-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Agreed. Had to be GoW. This couldn't have been caused by anything else ever. And of course this is the best place to go to get it fixed.

wtf117
11-09-2006, 02:43 PM
try turning down the res

Camp3rJoe
11-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Wow, arnt you stupid, sorry to say but when that happends you dont REBOOT all the time while u know somethings wrong. LMAO, and i bet the resolution is the problem.

vVHybridVv
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow, arnt you stupid, sorry to say but when that happends you dont REBOOT all the time while u know somethings wrong. LMAO, and i bet the resolution is the problem.

^ Agreed, when my xbox 360 froze for the first time on saints row, I left it be for a whole day just to let it cooldown and not give me the 3 rings of teh death.

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Guys, I'm getting the 3 red lights of death. There's NOTHING I can do short of calling MS. The system doesn't boot. I can't play anything or change any settings. And yea, I think gears may have had something to do with it. Seeing as just yesterday I was on it with no problems. It may be in conjunction with a flaw in the system, but I think gears may have triggered it. The only other problem I've ever had with a game is when I was trying to play a scratched PDZ.

Camp3rJoe
11-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Well sorry to say this but i think its your own fault, you rebooted over and over, you should have left it alone.

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 02:49 PM

I'm stupid? I'm playing on a pc monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024, something that is FULLY SUPPORTED by the system. And I think that if a system goes from not being on for nearly 24 hours to not working at all that it doesn't matter how long I wait, or whether or not I rebooted it. Cuz guess what? I would have had to turn it back on eventually and the same thing would have happened.

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Well sorry to say this but i think its your own fault, you rebooted over and over, you should have left it alone.

I rebooted it 3 times before it stopped working. Hardly think that counts as "over and over"

Camp3rJoe
11-09-2006, 02:51 PM
You should have token the disk out, wait a minute, then boot it up, whitout the disk.

Nick Tyndall
11-09-2006, 02:54 PM
He shouldn't have to. It is like every Xbox 360 up to this date is destined to fail at some point. Gears of War seems to be pushing the console to it's limits.

ps. Nice posting the pics of your 360's frozen screens. It's hardly that exciting though as it is a STILL picture.

Quintin424
11-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Well I don't really agree with the part that "you should have just left it alone". I have a feeling that if AMDMan18 were to do that we be seeing this post tomorrow instead of now. But other than contacting support I highly doubt this is the right place for a repair.

Camp3rJoe
11-09-2006, 02:56 PM
He shouldn't have to. It is like every Xbox 360 up to this date is destined to fail at some point. Gears of War seems to be pushing the console to it's limits.

ps. Nice posting the pics of your 360's frozen screens. It's hardly that exciting though as it is a STILL picture.

How the hell would it put his Xbox to the limit while he could not even play it?

vVHybridVv
11-09-2006, 02:57 PM
How the hell would it put his Xbox to the limit while he could not even play it?

Well GoW uses the most power out of the xbox 360 to date, on the side of saints row. And its possible for him to get the 3 things of death if he got his console before January 2006, So I feel for him.

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Well GoW uses the most power out of the xbox 360 to date, on the side of saints row. And its possible for him to get the 3 things of death if he got his console before January 2006, So I feel for him.

Thanks man. My console manufacture date is 12/16/2005. I'm on hold with MS right now. And for the other guys: I brought this to this forum because I didn't have any issues until I installed that gears update. After that it was all down hill. I think it appropriate for this to be on the GEARS OF WAR forum seeing as GEARS OF WAR seems to have triggered this.

vVHybridVv
11-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks man. My console manufacture date is 12/16/2005. I'm on hold with MS right now. And for the other guys: I brought this to this forum because I didn't have any issues until I installed that gears update. After that it was all down hill. I think it appropriate for this to be on the GEARS OF WAR forum seeing as GEARS OF WAR seems to have triggered this.

Yeah man hope you get your new xbox 360 as quick as possibly, almost everyone who got there console before january has gotten 3 rings of death and if not than it will happen sooner or later, January 2006 and up they used some new stuff for the cpu or something so it wouldn't overheat. Lets just hope you get an xbox 360 that has been manufactured after january and not one thats been repaired...

Leo.R.C
11-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah man hope you get your new xbox 360 as quick as possibly, almost everyone who got there console before january has gotten 3 rings of death and if not than it will happen sooner or later, January 2006 and up they used some new stuff for the cpu or something so it wouldn't overheat. Lets just hope you get an xbox 360 that has been manufactured after january and not one thats been repaired...

I'm just curious, where can I check the manufacturing-date of my 360?
got mine in April but since I live in a pretty small town it might have been sitting at the store for quiet a while.

vVHybridVv
11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
I think somewhere on the xbox 360 box if I remember correctly.

Leo.R.C
11-09-2006, 03:26 PM
I think somewhere on the xbox 360 box if I remember correctly.

2006-02-06....So am I in the danger-zone?
I did buy a 3 year warranty with my 360 so if it dies I'll get a new one but it'd suck anyway.

vVHybridVv
11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
2006-02-06....So am I in the danger-zone?
I did buy a 3 year warranty with my 360 so if it dies I'll get a new one but it'd suck anyway.

Your safe :)

Leo.R.C
11-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Your safe :)

*wipes swett from my forhead*
phheeewww..

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 03:40 PM
After being on for 44 minutes, I have an adress to ship to and a reference number. I thought they mailed out boxes?

Creepsville
11-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Ok,this is ridiculous. I have NEVER had any problems with my 360. NEVER. I bought it either last January or February. So today, I FINALLY get gears. I start up my system. Go into the system settings and set the resolution to 1280x1024(I had it set to 1024x768 for the THP8 demo). I then pop in the game. It tells me it needs an update. It updates, restarts the game. I go to start the campaign, and when I hit a to start it, it freezes. I'm like "ooookkay". I restart the system. The game boots, and THIS time is freezes at the "press start" screen. Now I'm getting worried. The next couple times I restart, The system freezes at random moments. I have pictures down there of a couple of them. And the finally, I get the frickin 3 red lights of death. WTF??!!! I have never had any problems with this system. I was last on it a couple days ago. Soo, yea. This positively blows. Gears killed my 360.

Every single game that is ever released will have some assclown crying on the forums that the game "killed their console". The game didn't kill your console, *****.

When will you guys realize that it's not the games, it's your console just messing up? Every game has at least one dude on some forums somewhere crying that it killed his console. It's enevitable. I wish people would be reasonable and have the foresight to see that the world is a better place without people claiming that a game killed their console.

dazinith
11-09-2006, 03:51 PM
i registered just to reply to this thread..

it should be noted that when Saints Row came out there were 3-4 people who made the same claims of 'Saints Row game killed by 360!!'.. it happened a number of times for another game (whose name slips my mind right now) previously as well. these threads frequently pop up in new game forums.

the fact is that some of these newer games are going to stress out the 360 in different ways, whether it is streaming high amounts of data from the disk, using large amounts of ram, etc. so if your 360 dies it is more likely an underlying issue of your hardware - why do you think they extended the warranty period?

and finally, when was the last time you heard of something 'dying' while it was off? fact is is that if its gunna die, its gunna die playing a game, and thats called timing.

p.s. i do feel sorry for you, my friend's was replaced in about 2 weeks, hopefully yours will be quick!

dazinith
11-09-2006, 03:52 PM
After being on for 44 minutes, I have an adress to ship to and a reference number. I thought they mailed out boxes?

my friend had his replaced just a few weeks ago, they shipped him a box to ship his in to make sure it was packaged properly for the trip..

The Pusher Man
11-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I was playing co-op last night with a friend of mine and his 360 started freezing, needless to say, it's dead now. He's exchanging it through Sam's though so he's okay. Mine was manufacturing in March 2006 so I'm all set (hopefully). But yes, Gears IS causing some machines to act flakey and crash. Obviously due to a pre-existing malfunction in the box.

Urza
11-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Hmmm... manufactured 11/14/05.. purchased 12/26/05 and my 360 is running strong without an intercooler. Maybe it'll die when I go and play CoD3 that I just bought.

anon
11-09-2006, 04:29 PM

It was not his fault that his console broke down due to obvious design and production flaws by manufacturer. He didn't do anything weird that could be considered harmful. If your Xbox 360 breaks down should we laugh at you?

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 04:34 PM
my friend had his replaced just a few weeks ago, they shipped him a box to ship his in to make sure it was packaged properly for the trip..

Yea, that's what I thought was supposed to happen. The guy I was talking to sounded like some little punky high school kid who may not have known what he was talking about. I had to tell him about 3 or 4 times that the system was dead and that there was nothing I could do. He asked me twice if I tried it with another game, and then asked whether or not I had it online. Needless to say, none of this is relevant when dealing with a dead system. I hope he gave me the correct information. Maybe this is MS trying to offset some of the costs of the free repairs, since my system qualifies for free repair. And I'm not even paying attention to idiots who think that it's MY fault that my system broke. Don't know if you guys have noticed, but PLENTY of other people on this forum have been having problems with this game. Also, my 360 was working perfectly LAST NIGHT. I've never had any issues with it. And then all of a sudden when I pop in gears: BAM! stuff starts messin up.

crbuke
11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Thank God for Best Buy PRP Warranty.

Launch Unit?

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Thank God for Best Buy PRP Warranty.

Launch Unit?

Not EXACTLY launch, but very close. Manufactured 12/16/2005

RiskTakerGuy
11-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Mine is working just fine. Just got done playing a 48 hour GoW marathon. Guess you just need to stop treating your system like crap.

Leo.R.C
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Mine is working just fine. Just got done playing a 48 hour GoW marathon. Guess you just need to stop treating your system like crap.

Read the previous posts and don't act like a dumb****!
He did not "treat his box badly", it was just a flawed system!!! mother****er...idiots like this break me...

Pedro7_2000
11-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Next time, try taking out the disk and blowing on it.

Locust Bait
11-09-2006, 05:12 PM

Resolution, turn it down.

Habitat51
11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Mines 12/05/05 and its perfectly fine especially with gears!!

It was my first one THAT MELTED that gave me trouble.:rolleyes:

That Dude
11-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Read the previous posts and don't act like a dumb****!
He did not "treat his box badly", it was just a flawed system!!! mother****er...idiots like this break me...

And thats a reason to curse at him, why?
Seriously, if it's bothering you, ignore it...

Fatroosi
11-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear that but that update was probably the fall update which screws up many 360's like mine. I sent it to Microsoft on Monday.

Leo.R.C
11-09-2006, 05:37 PM
And thats a reason to curse at him, why?
Seriously, if it's bothering you, ignore it...

Lookig trough your posts you're just as bad as me excpet you don't curse (for the record that might have been the first time I really freaked on these forums, usually I'm just selfrighteous and a total pain)

That Dude
11-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Lookig trough your posts you're just as bad as me excpet you don't curse (for the record that might have been the first time I really freaked on these forums, usually I'm just selfrighteous and a total pain)

Yeah, I freak out, but never enough to curse...
And most of the time, I'm usually messing around.

Leo.R.C
11-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I freak out, but never enough to curse...
And most of the time, I'm usually messing around.

Ok so waht's worse? The fact that I freak once and curse at a dumbass (cursing isn't even uncommon on these boards) or the fact that you freak often without cursing?

JFUNK
11-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm on my third 360 since Jan. 06. Got one right after launch, it died (three rings), Microsoft sent me another in late Feb to replace that one, it died in Oct (repeated screen freezes to the point of no boot--started with NBA Live 2007 and every game thereafter), and during the time it was in Texas getting a tune up I bought another one at Best Buy with the PRP to protect me.

It happens. Just try to protect the unit from overheating and abuse. Also, protect your investment with a product replacement plan if your retailer offers it.

That's all you can do, and understand that still may not keep it from croaking.

Have fun gaming, Epic has set the standard very high for $65 software for this console with Gears. Future is looking bright if Epic has anything to do with it!

This time next year should be very interesting between Sony and Microsoft! Luckily, we gamers stand to benefit as these two heavyweights duke it out for our scrilla (that's a slang term for money, for you squares!:p )

That Dude
11-09-2006, 05:55 PM
Ok so waht's worse? The fact that I freak once and curse at a dumbass (cursing isn't even uncommon on these boards) or the fact that you freak often without cursing?

Haha, I hardly even freak out. Give me some proof-(quotes)- and I'll tell you what I really meant.

SpineChewer
11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
You two need to get the hell out of this thread and duke it out elsewhere. Sorry to hear about the 360 issue. That really sucks. My friend's 360 also took a crap recently, he wanted to play Gears so bad that he just bought another one and mailed out the dead one. I guess he's going to sell the other one once it gets repaired.

That Dude
11-09-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm on my third 360 since Jan. 06. Got one right after launch, it died (three rings), Microsoft sent me another in late Feb to replace that one, it died in Oct (repeated screen freezes to the point of no boot--started with NBA Live 2007 and every game thereafter), and during the time it was in Texas getting a tune up I bought another one at Best Buy with the PRP to protect me.

wow. I've had mine since launch and still no problems.. Same happened to me with the original xbox at the time of it dying..
Maybe I should consider my self lucky? I really hope my 360 lasts. Either way, thank goodness for that 3 year warranty.

Leo.R.C
11-09-2006, 06:04 PM
You two need to get the hell out of this thread and duke it out elsewhere.

Yeah you are right :(
Sorry for acting like a moron (Not for cursing at the dumb**** tough)

That Dude
11-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah you are right :(
Sorry for acting like a moron (Not for cursing at the dumb**** tough)

That's what happens when two egos collide...:D

Haro
11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
3 blinking red lights = hardware error
software cannot kill hardware
thus, GoW is INNOCENT
u just happen to have the worst luck ever...
i feel for u. my xbox 360 is being repaired too as we speak

HamSandwich
11-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I just got the 3 rings of death also. I'm so ****ing pissed off, I had just finished beating Gears single player and today I was going to start playing MP. Looks like it will be another week and a half before that happens. This also means i'm going to miss the game with fame day, awesome thanks M$!

HamS.

Raaandom
11-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Why are people saying it's not the games fault? I had no probs with my 360 till gears went in. i just got another copy gonna test it out ina sec, hope it don't freeze

Raaandom
11-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I think it might of been my disc, i have plyed 5 matches so far and no lockups.

Haro
11-09-2006, 08:55 PM
freezing is one thing. skipping is common
but the 3 red lights is always hardware, not software. hence, no GoW evilness

Hornet
11-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Try setting the resolution back to normal. Or try and let your 360 cool down for an hour or two. Then, try cleaning the disk, or trying another one.

jeebus_unit
11-09-2006, 09:33 PM
If you get the 3 Rings of Deth just put in the Contra code, spin around two times, and fart in the air. Guaranteed fix, you can thank me later.

Raaandom
11-09-2006, 11:24 PM
My new disc seems to be working , just played 4 hours straight lol GOW OWNS!!!!!!

Yarnage
11-09-2006, 11:30 PM

Gears did not break your system. It's not possible. Microsoft does not have any API hooks into something for the system that can make such a breaking change. It's just not possible.

It's a coincidence and nothing more. Please spread your FUD somewhere else.

Well sorry to say this but i think its your own fault, you rebooted over and over, you should have left it alone.What? Rebooting won't break a system. If something is already broken then rebooting can cause the problem to surface a little quicker but it isn't going to cause a problem especially like this.

He shouldn't have to. It is like every Xbox 360 up to this date is destined to fail at some point.
Technically, ALL electronic devices are destined to fail at some point. This is because of the way electronics and chips are manufactured. They usually last for a very long time though.

Gears of war triggered nothing. That update is used only by the Gears of War game and nothing more.

i registered just to reply to this thread..

it should be noted that when Saints Row came out there were 3-4 people who made the same claims of 'Saints Row game killed by 360!!'.. it happened a number of times for another game (whose name slips my mind right now) previously as well. these threads frequently pop up in new game forums.

the fact is that some of these newer games are going to stress out the 360 in different ways, whether it is streaming high amounts of data from the disk, using large amounts of ram, etc. so if your 360 dies it is more likely an underlying issue of your hardware - why do you think they extended the warranty period?

and finally, when was the last time you heard of something 'dying' while it was off? fact is is that if its gunna die, its gunna die playing a game, and thats called timing.

100% Correct :)

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 11:32 PM
What's the deal with people telling me to turn down the resolution? THE THING IS DEAD. I can't do anything. I actually REALLY can't do anything cuz it's on its way to texas with UPS. Do any of you guys know what the 3 red lights mean? It means "get a new system". Also, that's just dumb. If you're 360 broke and I told you to not play it in HD, what would you think of me?

AMDman18
11-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Technically, ALL electronic devices are destined to fail at some point. This is because of the way electronics and chips are manufactured. They usually last for a very long time though.

Gears of war triggered nothing. That update is used only by the Gears of War game and nothing more.

Both my xbox and ps2(one of the earlier models) still work flawlessly. And I didn't see this problem till I popped in gears. The update is installed to the hard drive, so YEA that could have possibly caused something. Note I'm saying POSSIBLY. I'm not trying to say that I know for sure, but I think it's too good a coincidence. If you put crappy gas in a car and it stops running properly, do you say that it was waiting to happen all along?

dazinith
11-10-2006, 01:46 PM
If you put crappy gas in a car and it stops running properly, do you say that it was waiting to happen all along?

if 1 million other people use the same gas and only 1 of them has their car stop running properly is it the gas?

i feel for you, but the idea that source code killed the hardware is ridiculous, especially since there are 99.999999999999999999% of us for whom the game didn't 'kill'.

like i said, saints row 'killed' a handful too, its not the game.

lord_e
11-10-2006, 05:53 PM
I dont think any of yall know what your talkin about!!!

(queers)

ps. Gears rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

assult27
11-10-2006, 05:58 PM
That has happened to others a few days ago

Spark FX
11-10-2006, 05:59 PM
GAMES CAN'T KILL YOUR 360!!!

It was already broken hardware wise.

Mark Rein
11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Ok guys I don't think there's anything more that needs to be said on this thread. Closing.