PDA

View Full Version : How about a past-time?

TombstonePoet
11-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Is anyone a little frustrated about the lack of a back story with Marcus Fenix (sp?) I know I have only been in the game for a few hours, but the Cheif comes over yells at you for being a traitor and then we are given no reason as to why he does this... Is this talked about later on and I am just not far enough? If not, that bastard better eat his words as Marcus saves the world.

Tombstone

paz9x
11-09-2006, 01:03 AM
i was kinda thinkgin the same thing, i expected a more thorough introduction. im still on act 1 but there hasnt been anythign in game to develop the story.
the answer to your question is in the manual i believe.

OverKill
11-09-2006, 04:12 AM
the story never really progresses or has direction, which is my only complaint about the game

Mac
11-09-2006, 11:11 PM
I think the assumption is that the player already knows everything he needs to before even starting the game.

We know Fenix left his post to go save his father, was labeled a deserter and a traitor, was freed, etc, etc. Of course I'd like that spare information to be fleshed out a great deal more, but I think we're in a situation where we get only enough story to setup the action and that's it.

However, I am only through the 1st Act, so perhaps I speak too soon.

MrD3SAi
11-10-2006, 12:02 AM
SPOILER
Sad to disappoint you guys but I finished it and there was NO further information (unless I missed it)

Breatheright
11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
SPOILER
Sad to disappoint you guys but I finished it and there was NO further information (unless I missed it)

Duh...Thats so the story can slowly prgress over Gears 2 and Gears 3. :)

ikonic
11-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Yea, hopefully they do give us some more background on all the squadmembers in sequels to come. I personally liked Cole, he's a straight up badass.

0v3rd0$3
11-10-2006, 11:59 PM
that pissed me off,i wanted thrashball.i remember Cliffy saying that it was sorta like rugy.hes a dick,not to mention an attention whore lol.

Locust Bait
11-11-2006, 03:57 AM
With Eric Nylund and Microsoft, you can bet that they will give separate sales for that info. Like with Halo, instead of explaining about the MC and what the hell is happening, M$ realeases 2 books. And instead of explaining about Johnson and the Spartans M$ releases 2 more books!

I doubt Epic will like this (they actually care about more than money) but MC will most likely do it with Eric writing the backstory

TombstonePoet
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
That's such a shame with the gaming industry...There can always be 2nds and even 3rds and make it a series without leaving information out of the first... You look at the MGS series and the stories are totally complete but they are able bring more games to the series by adding to the storty, not subtracting from the original so there's enough for a second... like HALO and the route that GOW is goin... however, the gameplay is so ridiculously amazing that it doesn't matter the story that is just a plus.

TP

specops527
11-15-2006, 09:56 PM
The planet is Sera. Countries fought for decades ,but eventually peace cam to the planet. Then a new fuel source called Imulsion was discovered (all that yellow goo in the mine levels) and something was made that converted it directly into useable fuel. This process was called the Lightmass Process. Countries with mass amounts of Imulsion were the envy of less fortunate countries and war began. The wars lasted 79 years called the Pendulum Wars. Marcus Fenix fought two tours of duty in these wars. Then on "Emergence Day" a new threat came out of the planet's strata. The humans had to cease fighting eachother to counter this new threat. On the first day, one fourth of the human population perished in the locust onslought and the Coalition of Ordered Governments (COG) responded. A fallback to Jacinto Plateau was ordered. Jacinto Plateau was a city on SOLID GRANITE that the Locust could not penetrate. On the same day, MArcus Fenix disobeyed orders and left to try to secure his father (a military Scientist) at the East Barricade Academy, but he was too late. Upon his return he was sentenced to 40 years in the Jacinto Maximum Security Prison for cowardice and failur to obey direct orders. Now, 14 years later, the prison has become overrun with locust.

SPOILERS FROM NOW ON!!!

Dom breaks him out of the prison and gives him a Gear Uniform. They meat the General Hoffman and he explains his idea behind a device called the resonator, that if set off in the mine tunnels that the Locust live in, could map their whole tunnel scheme beneath the city. When the resonator is finally set off, in chapter 3, it didnt work. It only mapped a portion of the complicated tunnels because the tunnels were underestimated. Then the group finds a little device from the East Barricade Academy with a bigger portion of the locust tunnels. They find out it was Marcus's dad's and they go to his old house to check it out and sure enough in a secret lab he discovers a whole map of every locust tunnel. They take the info and board a train that has the Lightmass Bomb on it. Being that the locust practically live in Imulsion, the light mass bomb will turn all of it directy into energy, like throwing a match into a pool of gasoline. They get to the bomb and set it off in the locust tunnels which kills most of the locust, but not all.