PDA

View Full Version : Concern for online Gaming.

Cleary
09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Ive got afew concerns about playing this game online.

I have afew questions that mabey some people would be able to answer.
Playing Unreal tournament 2007 online, wouldnt you need like 10 mb broad band to load up them frames? I mean if im lucky I Can get 2mb broad band sharing it with my brother.

Also Servers, They would have to be like twice as powerful as the UnrealTournament 2004 servers.. meaning it would cost double the price meaning there wont be as many servers as before.

Mabey you could answer these questions or add to them.

^.=

Nietzsche
09-19-2006, 09:40 AM
You don't send the graphics over the internet, only things like location of players, weapons (so basically coordinates) etc. have to be send over the net. So the amount of data shouldn't increase too much for the conventional mods, how epic will deal with onslaught/warfare i can't tell.

DeathBooger
09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
No. Doesn't work that way.

Cleary
09-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Ah ok, But the servers would have to be larger surely?

Boksha
09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Maybe, but the servers do not require powerful graphics cards, plus the actual game logic (which is the only thing servers do) won't be as much more complicated as the graphics are.

wickedsteve
09-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Cleary, I suggest you do some research to learn about the netcode in a game, how real time 3D graphics are rendered, and the (major) difference between the two. Short story is that the former is the communication between servers and clients while the latter is how that information is displayed to the player, but there is a lot more to it.

Cleary
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Yea I need to do alot of research about these things.. because when theres official system requirements and a release date for the game im going to be spending 700 on a new PC, Im part of a gaming group and I have another question, How much are Servers in GBP per month?

MonsOlympus
09-19-2006, 09:58 AM
No doubt the new physics engine might even prove to be quicker than 2k4's across the network. Just a guess though, with the vehicles being more intensive physics wise there would have to be some clever network code to go with.

Jrubzjeknf
09-19-2006, 11:30 AM
56k anyone? :D

Omniety
09-19-2006, 11:41 AM
The main thing you have to be concerned about is ping times, how long it takes your connection to reach its destination. The reason 56k is so slow is because of the obviously slow transfer rate based on dialup technology.

Typically it would take about 80ms-100ms to reach my ISP and for accessing servers around my area it would be around 120-150. The engine has virtually no link to network connectivity issues. Most fps's only utlize around the 20-40ish KB/s range.

Also with games the speed you have to be concerned about is the UPLOAD speed, which is how reliable and quick you transfer your client information to the server.

2mb/s is fine for in game. Though if you find yourself or roomates downloading stuff while you game you'll watch your connection cripple itself.

MonsOlympus
09-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Dont 56k's usually use parallel ports as well so the speeds to your modem would be far slower than usb. Not that its gonna make a huge difference on that kind of connection hehhe

Omniety
09-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Nope, internal 56k modems use PCI ports in a computer and use phone line connectors, so all you need is the internal modem and the phoneline connector going to the wall. If you want to use multiple computers you can't use a hub or switch, you'd need a bridged connection which shares it out over a NIC. In terms of the external 56k modems they use serial ports, which is kind of the same transfer speed. Yeah, it would make no physical difference really.. except that a phoneline is capable of up to 8mb/s and the serial cable has no means to supply of speeds greater than .3mb/s.. so there you are certainly correct there sir ;)

p2xelgen
09-19-2006, 12:23 PM
56k anyone? :D

I thought your type had died some years ago?
Get with the program... :D

Jrubzjeknf
09-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm not on 56k, thank god. Used to be on 28k though. Now that was slow..

MonsOlympus
09-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I used to play quake 2 on a serial connection >_<
36.6k FTW

Wait or was that duke3d and doom. Hmmz I think quake demo we had 10mb with nice chunky coaxial. Wait was that 1mb, damn Im old rofl

Omniety
09-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Me too, for like 1-2 years, then we upgraded to 56modem which was virtually no difference.. then telus DSL came to save me.I was on almost equal playing ground with all the LPB's (low ping bastards) pre high speed .. it was entertaining owning all of em' hard when I got my godly connection.

Cleary
09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
I played UT99 with 56k AOL, and it would lag sometimes but it wasnt that bad.

p2xelgen
09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
The good old days :rolleyes:

iLL
09-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Also Servers, They would have to be like twice as powerful as the UnrealTournament 2004 servers.. meaning it would cost double the price meaning there wont be as many servers as before.

Mabey you could answer these questions or add to them.

^.=

I cannot say for sure,but I'd bet its safe to assume servers will be less in numbers because of the higher cost ESPECIALLY if you host Warfare which may have 12 to 32 players(or more) along with around 18 vehicles.

sphinx
09-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Im part of a gaming group and I have another question, How much are Servers in GBP per month?

depends on what you want, here are some (imo ok) server-providers

first 2 are the best (imo)

http://www.k-play.de/
http://www.jolt.co.uk/

http://www.ngz-server.de/?from=%2F
http://www.snakeservers.net/
http://www.speicherland.com/news.php
http://www.monsterserver.de/

and a lot more

Cleary
09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
SnakeServers are the best for me, I get like 14 Ping and they are really cheap.
I hope they do UT2k7 servers.

Jrubzjeknf
09-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Any estimations on price?

Cleary
09-20-2006, 03:20 PM
They was Kind enough to Reply to my E-mail.

Hello,

We cant tell yet.
First we must see what the game/server is doing on machine.
----- Original Message -----
To: support@snakeservers.net
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:28 PM
Subject: UnrealTournament2007

Hey, Me and my UT2k7 gaming devision over @ www.TLSConline.com, We are wondering How much a UT2k7 server would cost? I know its a long shot of a question, but its worth a shot.

Thanks, Billy Cleary.

But judging by their prices on UT2k4, Im sure they'll provide a cheap enough service.

fuegerstef
09-20-2006, 04:00 PM
But judging by their prices on UT2k4, Im sure they'll provide a cheap enough service.

Prices for UT2k4 have dropped on most large server providers though since it's release though. A new game is always more expensive.

Kharn
09-21-2006, 08:50 AM
likely 19.99-29.99 GBP a month, but obviously everyone that answers your question is only guessing. Also depends on how many players you want. (my guess is for a 12 player server - its what my ut2004 one cost from www.multiplay.co.uk when it was released)