PDA

View Full Version : The origins of 'FURY'...

snoogans460
09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I was messing around with my Dreamcast this morning and decided to fire-up Unreal Tournament for a quick nostalgia fix. Anyhow, I began looking at the list of maps and decided to try a map called Sector 9. Sure enough, this baby had the exact feel and look of an early version of Fury.

Here's a few screenshots to check out. Tell me what you think... Was Fury based off this map? I sure think so. In fact, I plan to go through more this week to see if there's any other secrets. Oh yeah, the last pic is of the infamous chainsaw rarely seen.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/fury.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/fury1.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/fury2.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/fury3.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/fury4.jpg

ShredPrince
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Yup Good find: I knew about It ...LOLS

But Yeah totally dude.

We actually busted out the DCast yesterday too, and UT99...LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

There are a few maps on there that are custom or something, not on stock UT99 for PC.Like Face 2 and crap.

Found a PC link for it:
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=8238

Was tough to find actually.

I wonder if Viking Warrior got any credit on it from Epic, or is he in their employ??

I read something about DM-1on1- Ictus near a mention of Sector 9, so maybe he's the culprit.

IT's Fury alright: I think that it's quite possilbe the author is now an employee of Epic that worked on UC2, and decided to revive his old work.

Gauntlet and Morbias are also in UT99.

CounterZeus
09-14-2006, 02:42 PM
looks like an early build of fury to me

ShredPrince
09-14-2006, 03:22 PM
On a side note:

What control config do you use on that game (Dreamcast UT99) SNoogs???

I cannnnot find one I like....

Praxis
http://www.eraserinc.com/ihs/images/tn_gXR70294.jpg (http://www.eraserinc.com/ihs/images/gXR70294.jpg)

snoogans460
09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Dude Praxis is lookin' good!

Anyhow, thanx for the link to that Sector 9 Map on PC, I'm downloading that baby as we speak. You're right, there's many maps in the Dreamcast Version of UT that are custom maps and console exclusives. I actually found a list of Dreamcast and PS2 exclusive maps at Beyond Unreal Forums.

Unreal Tournament: Console Exclusive Maps
Hello again, everyone. I'm looking for conversions of DC and PS2 exclusive maps for Unreal Tournament. Did anyone make a conversion of at least one single map? How about we combine forces and try to put as much of these maps as possible in a map pack to make all UT players happier?

Deathmatch Exclusives:

Halberd
Nebula
Blockparty
Canyonfear
ColdSteelPressure
Damnation
Depot
Dust
Flux
Gearbox
Girder
Google
Industrial
Infernal
Instinct
Megaplex
Neotokyo
Outskirts
Paladin
Pantheon
Sector9
Singularity
Section Control
Underlord

Other exclusives:

DOM-Osiris
CTF-Sepuichre
CTF-Sundial
CTF-Spirito
CTF-Stormfront

Already converted:

- DrunKenobi:

Brickyard
Core
Loathing
Sorayama
Coagulate
Hood

- DavidM

Extortion
Ablee
Melnori

I'm gonna be on a wild goose chase trackin' these down for PC - if they even exist?

By the way, my control configuartion is as follows.... I first began playing UT with the Dreamcast's standard controller, but it's rather difficult with only one analog stick. So, I also tried the keyboard and mouse, but then ditched the keyboard in favor of the controller and mouse. Eventually, I bought a MadCatz Panther Trackball Controller, http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/snoogans460/Panther.jpgbut this baby doesn't work that well. So basically, I use the controller and mouse when playing. Too bad this game isn't still online.

joeGraf
09-14-2006, 11:58 PM
I just forwarded this thread to the guy that did the Dreamcast port. He should be pleased to see that people still play it.

snoogans460
09-15-2006, 02:26 AM
I just forwarded this thread to the guy that did the Dreamcast port. He should be pleased to see that people still play it.

Ha ha, nice. I guess you just answered our question then. Apparently this individual is somehow involved with Epic then. It's always nice being able to keep old favorites alive. Did this guy do other maps as well?

JoshAdams
09-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Joe was talking about me, the lead programmer on the project. We got a whole slew of mod scene (Rocket Arena, etc) maps and put them in. We got (possibly the original) map makers to strip out parts of the maps that weren't needed to fit on the limited memory of the DC. Internally, we changed some of weapon/pickup placements for balancing/memory usage.

We shipped with 70 maps (+ 3 tutorial maps) in the game!! Far more than any other FPS game that had come out, and maybe even since then.

I was actually at Secret Level when I did the port, although now I'm at Epic :)

And yes, I'm very happy to see people still playing it. This was my baby 5-6 years ago, and the first game I worked on that actually came out in stores :)

ShredPrince
09-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Wow Cool!!!!!!!!!
You know we love Joe 4 ever over here::llol

Thats soo freakin awesome.

So who made Fury??/

I've also wanted to know who made other UC2 maps so I can credit them: list maybe somehow????

My buddy is always trying to get me to play with him.We wont have the panther or a KB&M for it.

I cannot find a control scheme I like: so I always get owned on Dcast....LOLZ

Yo On the Dreamcast I have EVERY single 8-bit nintendo gae: I mean every one: overr a 1000 games....LOLz

Flux
Depot
Canyon Fear
Osiris

Are also on PS2 thus not toally exclusive.

What will forever slay me is how the Dreamcast graphics of UT99 kill the PS2 version that came out a year or two later: makes no sense: lol

And the PS2 version has no dodge: wtf: I guess the guys who are making 07 made that one:p

JoshAdams
09-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know the LDs that worked on any of the maps. The info is probably on some spreadsheet that may or may not have ever been put into some sort of source control. Atari (Infogrames back then) would have it too, I suppose.

Oh, and BTW, the PS2 version came out before the DC version.

Sorry about the control schemes not working out, but we really had a tough time getting it to work on the the DC controller well at all... The one I like dthe best is the unintuitive one, I think where the Analog stick is turning and moving back and forth, and the 4 buttons are strafing and looking up/down. It takes getting used to, but once you do, it's the best one on the controller.

Of course, I imagine DC keyboards are cheap on eBay :)

ShredPrince
09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
I thought about buying that:

Your comments are really cool dude:

This is relly kewl!!!!

Is there any way to get those online maps???
I never had that thing online at all.

That roxors.

So what are you working on now: GoW or UT???
Map design: tell me more: your work etc; I wanna play your stuff.

I used to not like Albatross OVER other maps.After speaking with Ictus many times, I tended to vote for Albatross a little more.Now that I belive I am one of the few who have truly mastered it, I love it.Once you fully realize the skill required to run that map properly, you have to massivly respect it, as a map and an envrioment; the two are different IMO.Great Environments are'nt always good maps.

Anyways: any of your stuff on 2k4?
UC2?

Oh ur a programmer: LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Well uh, what did you code???///LOLZ

snoogans460
09-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Sweet! It's funny how coming across a map by sheer chance would ultimately bring the creator into our forums to answer a few questions. So was Secret Level simply affiliated with Epic when doing the Dreamcast Port? Wow, 70 plus maps you say?

Come to think of it, that version does have countless maps not seen in other renditions of UT. Hmm, if I recall UT on the PS2 was released in November of 2000, and UT for Dreamcast did come out in early 2001 - so that explains the difference between the two.

The standard control scheme does work pretty well, if a tad awkward when aiming. When I first began playing UT it was all I had, so it was essential to make it work. Now that gaming has evolved into a more fitting dual analog layout, it's difficult to adjust back to the early days.

Just curious, what exactly is your role at Epic nowadays? Your work has obviously been well accepted within our Unreal community, so it's be great to hear a few other projects from your past - as well as any current endeavors. Thanks for taking the time out to stop by our boards.

snoogans460
09-16-2006, 03:32 AM
By the way Shred, the Dreamcast never had Downloadable Content, so every map that was made available for that edition of UT was already implemented into the game. Extremely dedicated Dreamcast gamers created a server for Quake 3 Arena (among a few other titles) and still play that game online. It's a shame the same can't be said for UT. If that community started up again, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Many of my fondest (and first) online memories were with the Dreamcast's 56k connection.

ShredPrince
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Well then how do you get the online maps???

snoogans460
09-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Maybe the online maps only become active when you're online? It's been so long I forgot how it worked.

ShredPrince
09-17-2006, 06:04 AM
OH well I figured they were like XBL: except on Meory card: who knows:

New skin I made:
http://www.eraserinc.com/ihs/images/tn_0js90605.jpg (http://www.eraserinc.com/ihs/images/0js90605.jpg)

snoogans460
09-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Ya, I'll have to look into it. Maybe something online will jog my memory.

Sweet Skin Dude! Lilith Revamped.

ShredPrince
09-17-2006, 02:15 PM
YEah I made like 3...lol

snoogans460
09-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Shred, how in the world do you get that Death Orb thingy perched on top of the UC2 sign in your rendition of Deadbolt in UT 2004? I tried using the Anti-Grav Boots from the first Deadbolt, but that didn't work. In the newest version I can't find the Boots. I'm not even sure what the hell that yellow orb does exactly?

JoshAdams
09-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Is there any way to get those online maps???

Unfortunately, nope. The DC version had to branch kind of drastically from the PC version, to the PC version couldn't really use the DC maps, aside from the dedicated servers used to run the servers at SegaNet.

So what are you working on now: GoW or UT???
Some of both :) I'm on the engine team so I get my fingers into everything, muwahahaha. I generally do a lot of PS3 stuff actually.

Anyways: any of your stuff on 2k4?
UC2?

Nope, I was still at Secret Level while those were made (working on Magic: The Gathering: Battlegrounds, and the Xbox version of America's Army).

JoshAdams
09-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Sweet! It's funny how coming across a map by sheer chance would ultimately bring the creator into our forums to answer a few questions. So was Secret Level simply affiliated with Epic when doing the Dreamcast Port?

Yeah, SL was contacted by Infogrames (then publisher of UT) to see if we would port UT to DC. Most other developers said, "No, it can't be done! The DC only has 16 megs of RAM!" Well, we at SL decided, screw it, we're real men, we can do it! :)

So, Epic did the PS2 version in-house, and we were able to use a lot of their hard work on "consolizing" the game, and we did some things that they were able to use, pretty give and take (mostly take from SL's side, lol).

Wow, 70 plus maps you say?

The designer/internal producer (Pete Clark) worked lots of hours making sure we had as many maps as we possibly could.

Just curious, what exactly is your role at Epic nowadays? Your work has obviously been well accepted within our Unreal community, so it's be great to hear a few other projects from your past - as well as any current endeavors. Thanks for taking the time out to stop by our boards.
See previous post :)

PeteClark
09-18-2006, 01:20 PM
Wow, UTDC. It's been a while. I've checked out the thread, and tonight I'm gonna go home and see if I can dig up some info on all these maps. At the least I should be able to find out who made each one.

ShredPrince
09-18-2006, 01:52 PM
It's was so funny cause the very day that Josh and Snoogans posted, I got my buddy to whip out the DCast with UT99....

snoogans460
09-18-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, SL was contacted by Infogrames (then publisher of UT) to see if we would port UT to DC. Most other developers said, "No, it can't be done! The DC only has 16 megs of RAM!" Well, we at SL decided, screw it, we're real men, we can do it! :)

16 MB of Ram... LOL. Ahh yes, the almighty Dreamcast and good 'ol SegaNet. How I long for those days.:(

Wow, this info on one of my favorite games of all time has been much appreciated. That's cool you have a part in the production of both GOW and UT 2007. Any chance you could please give a date on when the latter is going to be released on 360? The PS3 obviously has UT 2007 in the works, so where's the love for Microsoft's little console?:confused:

ShredPrince
09-18-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm betting it'll come out on 360, but not counting on it.

StalwartUK
09-18-2006, 06:59 PM
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2958&Itemid=32

Thereís also Unreal Tournament 2007 for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Epicís latest is mind-blowing, and I believe one of the stars of the show.

ShredPrince
09-18-2006, 07:08 PM
I already posted that awhile back, but that really does'nt toaly proove it.It has been said by Miday yeah, then Epic will say no....soooo who really knows.

snoogans460
09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
There's no way Sony has "Exclusive Exclusive" rights to UT 2007. It may just be for a short time, but sooner or later Epic's gonna wanna create a 360 version. Why? Money.

ShredPrince
09-19-2006, 01:25 AM
Oh I agree.

I also think they do not care if the PC version runs on most systems cause they'll just release it on console.

snoogans460
09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Oh I agree.

I also think they do not care if the PC version runs on most systems cause they'll just release it on console.
Very true indeed. In fact, I'll be willing to bet that the majority of PC gamers who actually scoop-up UT 2007 will only be playing this bad-boy on medium settings (myself included as my system goes now). Hopefully come early next year I can throw a new processor (upgrade from 2.8 GHz Dual Core to at least 4 GHz?) and also grab a new graphics card. All these upgrades will run roughly $500 bucks when a 360 console and a copy of UT 2007 would be the same.:rolleyes:

ShredPrince
09-19-2006, 02:58 PM
If you want a dual core, you'lll need a new PC, or motherboard.
Socket wont connect for CPU.

joeGraf
09-19-2006, 05:45 PM

That's not true.

ShredPrince
09-19-2006, 06:24 PM
okok

my bad: you know how I can be with my thoeries JOe: Pesimistic at times....LOL

snoogans460
09-19-2006, 08:17 PM
If you want a dual core, you'lll need a new PC, or motherboard.
Socket wont connect for CPU.

I already have a Pentium D Dual Core.

snoogans460
09-20-2006, 04:03 AM
I decided to learn something new tonight and downloaded a freeware program called Ulead GIF Animator. Anyhow, I created this basic image in about 15 minutes.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/UT.gif

Now that I'm accustomed to this program, I plan to make something real killer. I just wanted to make something real quick to see if this GIF program was even worth my time.

ShredPrince
09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Thats pretty coll:

You spoke as if you did not have a dual core.

Which I did think you had, thne you threw me a little there.

you should be fine dude.

joeGraf
09-20-2006, 06:47 PM
my bad: you know how I can be with my thoeries JOe: Pesimistic at times....LOL

We care about our games and put insane amounts of effort into them. It's hard for someone outside to understand what goes into them, but imagine working 70+ hours a week, sacrificing time with your family, etc. I think our track record is very good too. Disagree if you like, but our games are damn good. UT2k7 will be no exception. Too many people here are passionate about making that franchise kick butt. Right now that game is looking like it will be the best unreal title ever.

Get all your lives in order, for when it ships, you'll be playing it non-stop.

joeGraf
09-20-2006, 06:51 PM
And, if you need an Epic fix until 2k7 is in stores, try Gears in a few weeks. If you pick it up, let me know and I'll tell you my gamertag so we can play.

ShredPrince
09-20-2006, 09:48 PM
IF I had a 360 I would.....

Im bucking this charge the gamer out the arse approach: good things come to those who wait.

snoogans460
09-21-2006, 12:32 AM
We care about our games and put insane amounts of effort into them. It's hard for someone outside to understand what goes into them, but imagine working 70+ hours a week, sacrificing time with your family, etc. I think our track record is very good too. Disagree if you like, but our games are damn good. UT2k7 will be no exception. Too many people here are passionate about making that franchise kick butt. Right now that game is looking like it will be the best unreal title ever.

Get all your lives in order, for when it ships, you'll be playing it non-stop.

There's no doubt the entire team at Epic has an extreme passion for their work, since it obviously shows in the finished product - even despite what many complainers will say about UC2's laggy gameplay. Every title released by you guys is guaranteed guality, and you have the mentality that a project is done when its ready. The overall style of your franchise games are original and innovative as well. I still love playing other developers games, but most of my time is spent playing Epic stuff - that should speak for itself. I'll definitely be picking-up GOW at release, but I'm more excited for UT 2007.

snoogans460
09-21-2006, 04:15 AM
I can't believe I actually created this abomination... LOL. My apologies are extended to those people with sensitive eyes.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/holycow.gif

ShredPrince
09-21-2006, 11:28 AM
lol.............

hypnotic
09-22-2006, 09:49 PM
joegraph can u tell me staight, is UT2007 coming for the 360?

i felt UC, but UC2 took UC to a next level. if UC3 was ever planned it would be better if the kept in the 3rd person part of it.

the UC's are the only games BAR fight night 3 ive spent HOURS on. even though UC2 had lag issues, when a good game(little lag) came along it didnt matter.

snoogans460
09-23-2006, 09:42 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/ocala460/BlueUnreal.gif

I decided to make a cooler Unreal Symbol than the last. Also, I included this into my Unreal Website. I've finally finished one page for now, and the rest is in major construction...
http://home.wi.rr.com/snoogans460uc2/My_Homepage_Files/Page7.html

ShredPrince
09-24-2006, 01:18 AM
I keep hearing the main reason it's guaranteed for PS3 and not 360 is the Blu Ra DVD: more data.

I'm sure it could be on 360 in some fashion, but maybe not the way Epic wants it to.

joegraph can u tell me staight, is UT2007 coming for the 360?

i felt UC, but UC2 took UC to a next level. if UC3 was ever planned it would be better if the kept in the 3rd person part of it.

the UC's are the only games BAR fight night 3 ive spent HOURS on. even though UC2 had lag issues, when a good game(little lag) came along it didnt matter.

I peeped your site Snoogs, cant wait till you get it going.

Fierce
10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I remembered Sector 9 from the Rocket Arena Mod, the first time I played UC2's Fury. Nice map.

But I wonder about the other maps, that are listed in the "classic map list". Morbias, Gauntlet and Tempest are clear. But AcidRain and Legacy? Is Legacy supposed to be a remake of UT's DM-Pyramid? And what's the origin of AcidRain?

snoogans460
10-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I remembered Sector 9 from the Rocket Arena Mod, the first time I played UC2's Fury. Nice map.

But I wonder about the other maps, that are listed in the "classic map list". Morbias, Gauntlet and Tempest are clear. But AcidRain and Legacy? Is Legacy supposed to be a remake of UT's DM-Pyramid? And what's the origin of AcidRain?

Mmm? Good points. I imagine that Legacy is derived from the classic Pyramid Map in UT, since they definitely resemble each other more than any other I could think of. Acid Rain on the other hand remains a mystery to me - however, I'm sure that somebody has the answer to our burning question.

Entropy
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
All of the maps from the "Classic" map list have some earlier roots that we felt it was worth paying homage to. The layout for DM-Fury was based on the Rocket Arena map by Rich Eastwood. Acid Rain was based off of the Rocket Arena map from Inoxx. (Can you tell I'm a huge RA fan?) Legacy was (loosely) based off of DM-Pyramid from UT99. Gauntlet, Morbias, and Tempest were ports; and for the record, Tempest (99) is one of my favorite maps of all time.

-E

snoogans460
10-30-2006, 05:52 PM
All of the maps from the "Classic" map list have some earlier roots that we felt it was worth paying homage to. The layout for DM-Fury was based on the Rocket Arena map by Rich Eastwood. Acid Rain was based off of the Rocket Arena map from Inoxx. (Can you tell I'm a huge RA fan?) Legacy was (loosely) based off of DM-Pyramid from UT99. Gauntlet, Morbias, and Tempest were ports; and for the record, Tempest (99) is one of my favorite maps of all time.

-E

Sweet, thanks for the info.;)

So Acid Rain came from Inoxx? Wow, I'm gonna' go fire up UT 99 to check that one out. I've always enjoyed Rocket Arena myself - definitely a fun gametype. Tempest has a pretty cool overall layout, although it's difficult to say which version is actually better. I enjoy the atmosphere and darker qualities from the original - even though the corridors and scale of the first is significantly smaller.