PDA

View Full Version : Bot speech/commands and localization

_Lynx
08-28-2006, 03:53 PM
UT series traditionally include about 4-5 official localizations. With the addition of bots chattery between them and players being able to 'conversate' with bots I wonder how the localizations will be done? Is the bots chattery is a text, which is being read by a high quality text2speech engine in different languages, or these will be prerecorded phrases (entirely or in bits and then being constructed on the fly). Or bots will chat only in english? Same with the players - will they be able to give out commands in the selected language or only in english like it was in 2k4?

elmuerte
08-28-2006, 03:59 PM
UT2004 used Microsoft speech engine and therefor limited to English.
I doubt this will change much.

JaFO
08-28-2006, 04:17 PM
hmm that is going to be fun if the Vista speech demo is to be believed ;)

player : "Go left !"
bot : "There is no ho left ... we got them all"
player : "give me ammo"
bot : "no armour available "
There's probably even worse examples ;)

GuntiNDDS
08-28-2006, 04:23 PM
they will get it right. improved "personalized" ai and advance speech regocnition is one of the things they praised about from the first interviews. - and definitly its one of the features i am most excited about.

elmuerte
08-28-2006, 04:47 PM
hmm that is going to be fun if the Vista speech demo is to be believed ;)

bot : "There is no ho left ... we got them all"
bot : "no armour available "
There's probably even worse examples ;)
That happens with wildcard matching, but with command recognition there's only a limited set of posibilities and therefor much less error prone.
I've played a lot with the normal speech recognition used by ut2004 and had some great ideas I wanted to work. But due to some limitation in how the speech recognition was implemented in UT2004 I couldn't execute them.
But nonetheless it worked out very well (after about 10 hours of training it).

ARsEnAl51
08-29-2006, 06:14 AM
UT2004 used Microsoft speech engine and therefor limited to English.
I doubt this will change much.UT2004 does indeed use MS' Speech API, but the Speech API isn't actually limited to english. I know there are SR and TTS engines in french, japaneese and maybe for other languages.
So if you have a non-english SR engine, all you have to do is to edit the XML files located in \UT2004\Speech.
Now of course, it would be nicer to have this done by Epic ;)

FrostBiteEST
08-29-2006, 10:32 AM
I wonder can bot understand me if i have some small english acsent????

elmuerte
08-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I wonder can bot understand me if i have some small english acsent????
yes, but you'll have to train it (takes a couple of hours).

JaFO
08-29-2006, 02:03 PM
That happens with wildcard matching, but with command recognition there's only a limited set of posibilities and therefor much less error prone.
I've played a lot with the normal speech recognition used by ut2004 and had some great ideas I wanted to work. But due to some limitation in how the speech recognition was implemented in UT2004 I couldn't execute them.
But nonetheless it worked out very well (after about 10 hours of training it).
But didn't Epic sort of imply that commands would be more 'natural' this time ?
Stuff like "being able to talk to your bots" were mentioned in past interviews AFAIK.

_Lynx
08-29-2006, 02:49 PM
That's what I mean. How this will fit with localized versions?

Lopar-XL
08-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Based on what is available in the various interviews thus far, and from listening to the bots speak in the videos, it seems like they are capable of speaking hundreds of phrases. Now, if the VPs are made in the same maner as in previous Unreal Tournament games--that is, a packaged database that references .wav files--then we can expect the voice packs to be quite large in file size. On the other hand, Epic could've used a TTS engine with "natural sounding" voices. Thing is, these natural TTS voices don't sound as real as they are supposed to be, and the bots in the video sounded too realistic for TTS, so that's why I think the bots will be using traditional voice packages that use .uax files, ones that stream the audio from the package rather than load the whole thing into memory.

elmuerte
08-29-2006, 04:30 PM
But didn't Epic sort of imply that commands would be more 'natural' this time ?
Stuff like "being able to talk to your bots" were mentioned in past interviews AFAIK.

sounds redundant.

"You! go over there" ... well, that might even work, heck you could even do that in UT2004 with a mod. Anyway, you want to have clear communication like
"Alpha, cover me" or "Beta, return the flag" (although, wtf is alpha and beta)
You do the same thing with your team mates over voice chat thingies.

"Damn morrons, get back our damn flag" ... sure works with humans (more or less), but it's not very clear.

I'd vote clear distintive commands.

Xyx
08-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Localization is an evil that should be restricted to the "under 12" and "over 60". The rest should learn how to speak proper English.

And no, it's not my native language either.

I shudder at the thought of having to address my bots in my own language. Immersion would be ruined.

Scylla
08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
bot : "I've got your back!"
bot : "I've got your back! "

Fixed.

Damn 10 character limit.