PDA

View Full Version : RL Fire Modes and other Weapon Issues

Stoned Rhyno
08-25-2006, 08:20 PM
It currently works with primary fire on LMB, alt fire on RMB. Primary is a single rocket, alt is loading up 3 flat firing rockets. If you tap the LMB while holding the RMB to load 3 flat rockets it switches to spiral. If you tap LMB again, it switches to grenades. If you click the LMB again, it will go back to flat fire. You can loop through the firing modes as many times as you want before they automatically release.

Allright, and if you tap the LMB 100 times in a second, you release a self-destruction mode, killing every player on the map.
Couldnīt you make it even more complicated.

Whats the difference between the primary and secondary fire of the UT3/4-RL anyway? If you tap the RMB short, it also releases one Rocket, just like if you press LMB. The only difference i could think of, is the fire rate. But this is simply a matter of balance.

Simple Solution: LMB is fireing the Rockets, RMB cycles through 4 Firemodes: Single Rocket, Single Grenade, Loadable Rockets, Loadable Grenades, Loadable Spiral Rockets. In the Weapon Priority Menu you could set up your personal Default Setting and Fire Mode Proirity.

By the Way: How does the Switching of the Canister Gun between Ammo-Types work?

Beam Colors:
As seen in the new Trailer: The Beam Color of the Link Gun is now Yellow. Actually I liked green much better. As far as I know, the Stinger Energy-Projectiles are blue. The Shock Rifle fires also blue.
I am just trying to say: It would look boring, if the beam colors would not be much different.
e.g. ASMD should be blue, Sniper should get a red trail (if it is sinilar to the UC2 one, as I asume) and the Stinger and Link Gun should one be yellow, the other green.

A lilttle strange request, I had the Idea, when I first saw the Link-Gun on a UT7-Clip wich was released shortly before the E3. The Beam looked like it was green with blue mixed. The model looked like a pink plastic barby doll toy, but it was obviously a matter of level lighting.

Lets just say: The Link Gun Beam Effect has to much white light and should be feeded with more color.

Enforcers:Is there a special animation in the secondary fire mode, like holding both pistols horizontaly to the inside while fireng? This was one of the cool things in UT99 and should also be in UT7. (Because it is a nice animation, not because UT99 was better, btw.)

About the GC Presentation: I expected more details to be released, A look at some Necris and Krall player models and the Sniper Rifle in action, but the only new thing was a picture with a female player model. I hope, there is more to be released soon.

Scylla
08-25-2006, 08:23 PM
The shock rifle is purple...

I think the diffence of the RL in 2003 is that it sounds different and it might have a different firing rate.

Kronos
08-25-2006, 08:42 PM
I think secondary enforcers from what it looked like on a video is a three round burst fire.

The way I think the rocketlauncher will work in 2k7 is simple, I believe holding down primary will be loading up rox while holding down secondary will load up nades, and if you feel like shooting just 1 rocket u just dont hold down the button, instead u click it.

Stoned Rhyno
08-25-2006, 08:44 PM
The shock rifle is purple...

Yes, it is. But in a light spectum there is not a big difference between (the darker) blue and purple, just a few wavelenght. In RGB-Colors, the difference would be more obvious.

NeoPhoenixIIM
08-25-2006, 08:45 PM
I have a simpler solution. Just have a separate "mode button", or just have it like UT99. Though, I kind of like having different modes because it allows the rocket primary to shoot faster without those long pauses like UT99 had. I loved the rocket load/fire speed in UT2k4.

Stoned Rhyno
08-25-2006, 08:58 PM
I think secondary enforcers from what it looked like on a video is a three round burst fire.

The way I think the rocketlauncher will work in 2k7 is simple, I believe holding down primary will be loading up rox while holding down secondary will load up nades, and if you feel like shooting just 1 rocket u just dont hold down the button, instead u click it.

In the videos, I just saw one type of aniomation, as the enforcers were shot each at a time, then moved up. The 3 roud burst-fire would be shot by both pistols at once, i think.

I took the quote about the RL from a quote of an old Thread of the Atari-Forum, posted by an Epic Moderator called Willhaven. So i think, this would be the (imo most confusing) way, how the RL works.

Phopojijo
08-25-2006, 08:58 PM
It works like they plan it.

The point is to have the bouncy grenades a little harder to do (you need to think to double-click the LMB) but its more useful. Harder to just single-spam bouncers.

Stoned Rhyno
08-25-2006, 09:20 PM
It works like they plan it.

The point is to have the bouncy grenades a little harder to do (you need to think to double-click the LMB) but its more useful. Harder to just single-spam bouncers.

Whats the problem with it? Its a Grenade Launcher, not a Super-Weapon.
By switching firemodes, it is also not to easy to fire rockets and grenades at one opponent without delays. Do you mean something like that?

Phopojijo
08-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Whats the problem with it? Its a Grenade Launcher, not a Super-Weapon.
By switching firemodes, it is also not to easy to fire rockets and grenades at one opponent without delays. Do you mean something like that?Kind-of.

If you make it very easy to lob grenades around a corner -- in UT's style of "direct hit kills" -- you can easily noob a few flukes just by having a few good bounces. Whereas: If you have to change your firing mode twice while loading to lob grenades. You need to conciously manipulate the gun to fire correctly, which means that it'll be harder for unskilled players to bounce off of walls and double jump while dropping grenades in bounce mode hoping one will barely skim the enemy's leg.

You'd need to practice holding down RMB while double-LMB-clicking to lob, and even then -- that takes time and would artificially lower the refire rate. Essentially it makes noobs be sitting targets while they fumble with their mouse... giving the skilled players a bit more of an edge. Whereas if it were UT's RMB loads lob -- any idiot can do it while concentrating on moving and dodge-jumping.

Madridista
08-25-2006, 10:06 PM
would be cool if the players could determine the shock/link beam imo..

just a little sweet addon to the game i thought of lol ;)

altough i dont think that epic really pay attention for all those requests from the forum members so it pretty useless. can anyone verify this? :X

Stoned Rhyno
08-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Kind-of.

If you make it very easy to lob grenades around a corner -- in UT's style of "direct hit kills" -- you can easily noob a few flukes just by having a few good bounces. Whereas: If you have to change your firing mode twice while loading to lob grenades. You need to conciously manipulate the gun to fire correctly, which means that it'll be harder for unskilled players to bounce off of walls and double jump while dropping grenades in bounce mode hoping one will barely skim the enemy's leg.

You'd need to practice holding down RMB while double-LMB-clicking to lob, and even then -- that takes time and would artificially lower the refire rate. Essentially it makes noobs be sitting targets while they fumble with their mouse... giving the skilled players a bit more of an edge. Whereas if it were UT's RMB loads lob -- any idiot can do it while concentrating on moving and dodge-jumping.

I think it will be very hard for anyone to dodgejump in UT7, if you know what I mean.

My point is, by including "secret key combinations" (like adrenalin moves and dodge-tricks in the prequels), the game is less intuitive for casual gamers, who just know to use the primary funktions of WASD and LMB/RMB (e.g. I never dodged in UT99 myself, because I didnīt even know, it was possible). This means, that more players loose interest in the game, resulting in its death within month. The idea to fire left and switch mode right is more obvious and has the same effect to think about the action.

My personal interest is, that either RL or GL modes can be very useful in different situations and should be prioritized the same way, while SingleRL and LoadingRL do not really make a difference. However, the Third Fire Mode (SpiralRL) was easier to use, by simply holding both MB, it was a nice trick and not really much important to be used often.

Hiding the Grenade Firemode such way is, if you would have to press always left and right the same time in order to go forward. Just for the reason not to run away so easily.

There is a difference, if an action is used often or in the wrong way. And there is no reason to hide that action.

Stoned Rhyno
08-28-2006, 05:19 PM
How do Wall Dodge and Dodge Jump actually work? I never used them.

BioHaZarD
08-28-2006, 07:00 PM
U jump on a wall and u double press an arrow key: U make a walldodge
Dodge jump is simply tap twice an arrow key and pres jump afterwards: u make a longer jump (also known as "mighty jump" :P cuz its so unreal )
That's doable only on ut2003 and ut2004..

happycat
08-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Wait, dodge jumping is out in 2k7? I just thought it was the wall dodging...

Damn that sucks... it'll be hard to play at first after years of 2k3 and 2k4.