PDA

View Full Version : *Gasp* Darius = Apophis & Jackhammer?

legacy-Eena
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Ok well I dont know if anyone has ever noticed this, but I do know that anyone who plays this game has at one time or another noticed something odd in this game, well I found something that will shock and amaze, (kinda. Ok, I know that there are alot of poeple out their who say that Darius is Apophis without his mask (because of the costume) but thats not true for a number of reasons, First off though there is a level in Selkets tournament where you fight against Darius when Apophis is on your team. But other than that, today when I was fooling around /my friend on Split screen as Jackhammer I saw Darius straight at me through my sniper scope, and I noticed something. (you can tryt this to) I saw that Darius and Jackhammer have the same face *lmao* so I went to a instant action with lock on freeze turned on and looked to see if it was true. When I did I saw that those were indeed the same mutton chops, the same bulky face, the sam ponytail, and the same scar, the only difference in the faces is skin tone and an earing on Jackhammers left ear. So that is not only weird but proves some points about this game that I am afraid to mention on these forums. (lol) so in return that means that Jackhammer is just a Darius face on a different colored Arclite body. And Darius is a Jackhammer face on a exact replacate of Apophis's body. And there ya have it some thing are still unfound in this game, (like the Decay reflection in Azure's water).

legacy-xXfeenyXx
07-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Shut up. :P

legacy-ShredPrince2
07-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Ok well I dont know if anyone has ever noticed this, but I do know that anyone who plays this game has at one time or another noticed something odd in this game, well I found something that will shock and amaze, (kinda. Ok, I know that there are alot of poeple out their who say that Darius is Apophis without his mask (because of the costume) but thats not true for a number of reasons, First off though there is a level in Selkets tournament where you fight against Darius when Apophis is on your team. But other than that, today when I was fooling around /my friend on Split screen as Jackhammer I saw Darius straight at me through my sniper scope, and I noticed something. (you can tryt this to) I saw that Darius and Jackhammer have the same face *lmao* so I went to a instant action with lock on freeze turned on and looked to see if it was true. When I did I saw that those were indeed the same mutton chops, the same bulky face, the sam ponytail, and the same scar, the only difference in the faces is skin tone and an earing on Jackhammers left ear. So that is not only weird but proves some points about this game that I am afraid to mention on these forums. (lol) so in return that means that Jackhammer is just a Darius face on a different colored Arclite body. And Darius is a Jackhammer face on a exact replacate of Apophis's body. And there ya have it some thing are still unfound in this game, (like the Decay reflection in Azure's water).

Ok first this is very common in these games.IT allows more characters than normally possible.You'll also notice that Merc Anubis, Sobeck, and maybe even Hyena and Miarage have the same body.Just all different heads.It's quite easy to tell that there are really only a few models, and many skins.

The reflection you pointed out is from whats called an enviroment map.

It's a shader/combiner. What it is: a cube map of 6 screen shots from the given map at certain degrees.Each is assigned to a side of the cube, but projected upon a flat texture.This creates a nice water effect.When applied to a fluid surface or used as reflection in wall textures lets say.

Since most people dont tend to STARE into the water, you can usually get away with using an enviroment map from a level with a similar color scheme.

For instance all the "Praxis" themed levels use an enviroment map from Praxis itself. Like Horizon....look out the bottom part of the window really carefully, and you see Praxis.

legacy-twisted
07-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Well if it took you this long to notice something small like this, surely Shred's idea of what developers do is true and a good idea :). Really I'd see no point in trying to change their faces, its hardly noticed (especially cause they are normally bots). Now try and find a guy character and a girl character with the same faces, I'll find that more interesting.

legacy-ShredPrince2
07-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Technically speaking Hyena and Mirage are the same face, only differnt colors.Same for Necris Selket, and Selket.All they do is desaturate the image, and re color it.

NOt the EXact same, but If you saw them all in Black and white, you might have a hard time telling the difference.

legacy-iReProphecy
07-03-2006, 10:35 AM
New skins completely give the model a new look. Its just a way to save time.

snoogans460
07-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Yep, I've noticed these subtle variations myself, but obviously don't fault the developers for using techniques to save time, energy, memory, and resources. There's definitely a logical concept behind the work, and UC2 has enough variety to keep things from seeming too cheap.

CounterZeus
07-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Yep, I've noticed these subtle variations myself, but obviously don't fault the developers for using techniques to save time, energy, memory, and resources. There's definitely a logical concept behind the work, and UC2 has enough variety to keep things from seeming too cheap.

I wonder how they would have looked if the Xbox had more RAM and a better vid card *gasps at high res Selket* [face_blush]

snoogans460
07-04-2006, 03:54 AM

I wonder how they would have looked if the Xbox had more RAM and a better vid card *gasps at high res Selket* [face_blush]

Totally. I still say that Epic should have waited an extra six months and released UC2 right alongside the 360's launch. Then again, it's not all that big a deal I suppose. Things happen for a reason.

legacy-ShredPrince2
07-05-2006, 07:50 AM

They actualyy made the characters alot higher res than they are now, but due to RAM issues, they had to lower the detail.

snoogans460
07-06-2006, 06:43 AM

They actualyy made the characters alot higher res than they are now, but due to RAM issues, they had to lower the detail.

Really? Very interesting.

legacy-ShredPrince2
07-06-2006, 08:12 AM
NOraml (2k4) textures are 1024 x 1024 in pixel size.In UC2 they are dropped to 256x256.

legacy-x_ZerK_x
07-06-2006, 08:30 AM
texturing is a complex thing[face_nerd]

CounterZeus
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM

I know, that's why I wondered [face_cool]

oh, well, I don't think you would notice the difference on a regular tv. UC2 is very ugly on my 17" TFT [face_worried]

legacy-Callisto_Xii
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I already knew this...Apophis has to protect his beautiful face

legacy-ShredPrince2
07-06-2006, 10:14 PM

oh, well, I don't think you would notice the difference on a regular tv. UC2 is very ugly on my 17" TFT [face_worried]

CounterZeus
07-06-2006, 10:15 PM
^^?

legacy-ShredPrince2
07-06-2006, 10:16 PM

You would most certainly notice a 4x higher texture resolution.
I think the main thing is that black on TV for games is really a crazy dark blue.On PC it's pure black 4 reals.<<Cause its hard to see<<

legacy-Sparezno-1
07-08-2006, 06:24 AM
How the he11 can Darius be Apophis without the mask, considering the obvious fact that Apophis is colored?.. Lmao.

snoogans460
07-09-2006, 07:12 AM
I thought about buying a VGA cable so I could hook-up my Xbox to me PC monitor - simply to witness UC2 at full resolution in all its sheen glory.