PDA

View Full Version : Instagib in "Envy"/UT2006

legacy-wartex
04-07-2005, 01:15 AM
Instagib in UT2003/2004 is a really fun gametype/mutator.
However, it is'nt as skill based as DM, UT99 instagib or Quake instagib.
Will Epic improve intagib in "Envy"?

What do you people think would improve it and make it more skill based?

The_Deacon
04-07-2005, 01:40 AM
Please tell me why UT2003/4 instagib is less skillful than other exmaples of instagib.

There are basically 2 elements to instagib gameplay that differ from normal weapon play.

1) Aim (including reactions)
2) Movement

These don't need to be specifically better or worse for instagib play, just a different focus needs to be put onto it.

Since the weapon in insta is point and click in all insta, what is there that seperates different insta versions, that isn't the exact same case between the normal weapons version of each game?

legacy-wartex
04-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Dodge jumping?

I find it hard to aim in UT99 than in 2k4
Perhaps it's just that the players are better in 99..

Anyhow, i'd like more skill oriented instagib
Perhaps a longer interval between each shot...

legacy-Retodon8
04-07-2005, 03:12 AM
Well, dodge jumping isn't Instagib specific, and Epic already mentioned the movement will be toned down in Envy, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I'm not sure why you think it's harder to aim in the original UT.
Considering there wasn't any dodge jumping in there, players basically move slower.
Of course a dodge jump trajectory is easy to predict, so I'm not sure many Instagibbers use it during firefights.
Either way, in UT enemies are usually a bit closer, therefore bigger, therefore easier to hit.
I personally haven't played UT IG for ages, so I don't know if I think it's harder in UT.

By the way, there was already this thread about the subject:
http://forums.epicgames.com/General_Discussion/b10667/19054988/

The_Deacon
04-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Whenever I go back for a nostalgic game of insta in UT, I have absolutely no problem being up there at the top of the scoreboards. This is usually after 4-6 months of not playing it. The skills transfer between the games very easily and as long as your brain remembers the available features of each game, it's not particularly more skillful in any game.

legacy-wartex
04-07-2005, 06:56 AM
It's something wrong with me then ^^ I find it IG in 99 more difficult than 2k3/2k4.

legacy-Rubberhead
04-07-2005, 10:48 AM
I feel no difference whatsoever except for the fundamental differences in 99/2K*

legacy-Kronon
04-07-2005, 09:13 PM
"What do you people think would improve it and make it more skill based?"

Well, I dont even think Epic should include IG, since IG has been nothing but grief for the community. So my suggestion to your question would be: leave it out!

/Kronon

legacy-Retodon8
04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
IG has been a lot of fun for the community, or maybe a sub-community as well, so Epic can't take the choice that lightly, and for now decided upon leaving it in for the next UT.
(I do agree that IG has its negative influences as well, don't get me wrong.)

legacy-Xtreme_Mast3r
04-08-2005, 01:27 AM
but is there going to be instagib in unrealchampionship 2??

legacy-broez
04-08-2005, 01:57 AM
maybe they could make instagib more like the railgun, but then again if you want the railgun, why don't you play quake?

The_Deacon
04-08-2005, 02:03 AM
"maybe they could make instagib more like the railgun, but then again if you want the railgun, why don't you play quake?"

Make it more like the rail gun in what way? The only difference between the rail gun and an instagib gun is that the rail gun doesn't cause instant death.

legacy-DoMiNaToR
04-08-2005, 02:03 AM
InstaGIB is funny. it trains your aim a lot, and aiming while moving a lot (thats what i do).

legacy-broez
04-08-2005, 02:08 AM
make it more like the railgun so it has a lower fire rate. maybe you are doin something wrong, cause when i shoot someone with the rail its always an instant kill. (quake3)

legacy-Kronon
04-08-2005, 02:30 AM
I think IG is a lot of fun, and have played it quite a lot on pubs (never in clan though). The problem is that new players can get the wrong impression of the game if they start with IG (by wrong, I mean they don't play the game as its supposed to be played).

I also think that IG has split the community in two parts, which is unfortunate. A relative small community like the ones for the UT games have a hard enough time to survive as it is.

Unfortunately, even if Epic do not include an IG mutator, someone else will implement it, and Envy will be split into NW/IG just as UT/UT2003/UT2004 was, but the situation will improve if Epic leaves the IG mutator out of the game.

/Kronon

legacy-Holy_Avenger
04-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Why do you care? If someone enjoys instagib more why should they be forced to play normal? For that matter, why do you think Epic would ever remove something which might really tick off a lot of fans?

RoadKillGrill
04-11-2005, 02:37 AM
no one is forceing you to play insta gib, it is a very popular mutator. if you think that insta gib is ruining the community what about invasion rpg, vctf, and mods. personally i think that ppl will thay what they want, as long as they keep playing ut they arnt harming the community.

i like having these options thats why i like ut

legacy-Shambler
04-11-2005, 05:39 AM
I think Instagib is too big a gameplay difference to really be considered just a mutator.

Maybe treat it as a totally new gametype base and keep the Instagib servers out of the normal DM/TDM/CTF/etc. server list....
One thing that has disappointed me greatly about UT2k4 is that nearly all the CTF servers are Instagib CTF servers, there are some normal CTF servers but the vast majority of (populated) servers are iCTF.

I think it would be a decent idea to do a new system of categorising gametypes/mutators (maybe adding a whole new catagory above gametypes and mutators, I remember UT1's game selection menu was a bit like this) because when you look at the server browser in UT2k4 and start picking random servers (lets say assault for example) you can end up in a no. of different types of server:
1: racing
2: trials
3: normal assult
Each of those are, in their own right, completely different gametypes...and with similar variety in other gametypes things can be made hard to differentiate from.

legacy-fts
04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
instagib needs to be cut, it takes no skill and it does NOT help your aim in NW servers. people who disagree with me are wrong and need to get off the internet immediately.

legacy-Holy_Avenger
04-11-2005, 03:36 PM
You should follow your own advice, really, mature a little before you post. If it's fun, why why why WHY would they remove it? Plus, your statement that it dosn't improve aim goes to show that you never bothered playing it enough for your aim to shoot through the roof.

RoadKillGrill
04-12-2005, 03:14 AM
[Quote]instagib needs to be cut, it takes no skill and it does NOT help your aim in NW servers. people who disagree with me are wrong and need to get off the internet immediately.[Quote]

you must be one of those lamers that sucks at instagib, there is a level of skill involved, you try running a flag away with 3 ppl that will kill you in one shot.
im not sure what nw your talking about but my lg has become alot more deadly since i started playing insta. im sure your just a little kid that is clueless.

legacy-Retodon8
04-12-2005, 05:18 AM
I normally don't like to gang up on someone, but considering the tone of his post I have to add that I agree with the posts above.

IG takes skill, although there are less skills necesary to play the game, by the very definition of the game the skill(s) you do need are different, and much more specialized.
I don't even understand how anyone can state it does not improve your aim, and actually tells people who realise that of course it does should go offline, and still expect to be taken serious.
Maybe he just doesn't. :)

legacy-fts
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
rofl you guys are clueless newbies... i played instagib for a month straight and was beating everyone at the top end of the competitive ig community with ease. you guys lack the brain power and hand-eye coordination to be good at video games therefor your opinions carry no weight. my word is law, deal with it.

legacy-Holy_Avenger
04-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Man, give it up, you still havn't answered my simple question of why either. Try to make the forums a pleasent place, there's enough trash talk online without more here.

legacy-fts
04-12-2005, 01:34 PM
"If it's fun, why would they remove it?"

it's pointless fun at first but then becomes repetitive and old which attracts new players.. they quickly get tired with it and quit the game altogether therefor limiting new talent into the NW scene.

legacy-Holy_Avenger
04-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Umm, I think generally once someone get tired of instagib they switch back to normal and have better skills than they did before, improving overall skill level. I might be wrong but that's what I did and I was much better afterwards.

legacy-Zasz
04-12-2005, 07:48 PM
i wouldn't worry about epic leaving instagib out...
if they don't include it as a mutator i guarantee the very first day of release someone will make an instagib mutator

RoadKillGrill
04-13-2005, 03:20 AM
[Quote]rofl you guys are clueless newbies... i played instagib for a month straight and was beating everyone at the top end of the competitive ig community with ease. you guys lack the brain power and hand-eye coordination to be good at video games therefor your opinions carry no weight. my word is law, deal with it.[Quote]

hmm you realy immature, i dont single out many ppl but you repeatedly make the tone of this thread rotten.

legacy-fts
04-13-2005, 09:43 AM
"hmm you realy immature, i dont single out many ppl but you repeatedly make the tone of this thread rotten."

at least i know how to type.. cry some more please

legacy-Retodon8
04-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Ignoring your own mistakes for a minute, what use is it to type perfectly if you mainly use those 1337 skills to troll?

legacy-crazzyTHEking
04-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Yes, they should make it so much better mabey add some minor touches to the gameplay. I thought it was hard to hit someone. I really can shoot very well.

BeerNut
04-19-2005, 06:47 AM
I know that this isn't the most popular opinion, but I'd like to see IG gone in Envy as well.

Since UT, many players/clans will play different gametypes (CTF, TDM, etc...), but IN GENERAL most of these same players are either: NW players, or IG players; hence the community gets split in 2 (not a good thing).

However, this is a moot point anyways... Even if Epic didn't include it, it would be modded in faster than it was into the 2k4 demo. :|

legacy-Retodon8
04-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Epic left IG support for Onslaught and Assault in UT2004, so they'll probably do the same for Envy, and add the other less old-skool DM gametypes.
If IG only works in DM, CTF, DOM and BR, it shouldn't be too bad... well, I really don't know, but I'm just saying some gametypes will be safe of IG. :)
I don't hate IG though, it's fun every now and again.