PDA

View Full Version : Unreal II the Awakening

legacy-Unreal
03-29-2005, 06:15 AM
I have pretty muched mastered UC so i was thinking of buying Unreal II the Awakening. Would you recommend it?

legacy-Von_Luck
03-29-2005, 06:37 AM
I wouldnt re-install it (it wasnt that good)but while
it was on my HD i really enjoyed it. You should be able
to get it cheap now so give it a go.

legacy-Grimlock
03-29-2005, 09:13 AM
No. It's ****.

U2 is what got me posting regularly at ina in 2001.

The u2 fan base waited for 4 ****ing years and all we got for our time was an overpriced turd.

I'm glad Legend are dead.

legacy-evistro
03-29-2005, 10:01 AM
its not that bad, its ok. you can get ot for like 10 bucks now so why not, its fun.

legacy-Von_Luck
03-29-2005, 11:38 AM
to quote you on unreal 1 grimlock "it was actually a very
bad game". Why did you wait 4 years with such high hopes
for a sequal to a game you thought was very bad.
Perhaps we should take your opinion with a pinch of
salt.

legacy-USATitan
03-29-2005, 11:53 AM
The SP campaign isn't actually too bad, but the MP is bad.

BTW which version are you talking about, the Xbox or the PC version? If you have the Xbox version, go out and rent the game, if you have the pc version, it's not worth the $20 or however much it costs for the game.

legacy-Ranilin
03-29-2005, 12:32 PM
The multiplayer was the funnest part of Unreal II. The single player was okay, but the cutscenes were done in a very atrocious manner.

I liked the game overall though because of the online play. It was fun on the Xbox. I don't play FPS games on the PC much at all though, so I'm not even going by how that version turned out (can't say I really care either since it WAS on the PC).

legacy-Grimlock
03-29-2005, 11:01 PM
"Why did you wait 4 years with such high hopes
for a sequel to a game you thought was very bad.
Perhaps we should take your opinion with a pinch of
salt. "

Basically because we were lied to through every stage of the games development, we were promised hundreds of things that never materialized, we were fooled with photoshopped images.

Legend pretty much took us for a ride.

Also I enjoyed Unreal 1 very much, it's a very nice game, but it isn't the Holy Grail of SP gaming that many U1 fans make it out to be.

The_Deacon
03-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Unreal II, at the time of release, was a game with mediocre plot/gameplay, (mostly) good graphics, and a relatively nice weapon set. The whole game lacked a sense of consistency though. The idea of having different missions just didn't work for me. It just seemed like a cheap way to try show off all the different gfx they could.

I wouldn't have minded if it hadn't been 'Unreal II' implying a sequel to Unreal, when it hardly had anything to do with it.

My summary would be: Average game made a bit better by graphics and weapons. Game is a bit short in the end but would be worth a budget price to play.

legacy-Von_Luck
03-30-2005, 05:00 AM
ah the hype, i never listen to any companys promotional
crap no matter what the game. An impartial review or
demo is a better place to start before you part with
your cash. When i purchased my copy of U2 i knew exactly
what i was getting, a fairly standard FPS with nice
graphics so i didnt have unrealistic (no pun intended)
expectations. Its not a bad game i enjoyed it as did
many others, and my judgement isnt clouded by the hype.

legacy-DoMiNaToR
03-30-2005, 06:03 AM
Unreal 2 is not that bad, its just a game like the other ones, not like Unreal 1 was. Unreal 1 in 1998 was the FPS best game, now, 2005, there are more than 1200 players still playing it online, well, more than 1200, probably 3400 or more, there are lot of servers.

im still playing it, well not now i got bored of it.

legacy-Olav
03-31-2005, 12:57 PM
I pretty much liked the first 3-4 hours of the game, rest of the game was very boring.

legacy-Meta5
03-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Worst single player game ever >:/

(Btw long time no posts by me in here hehe)

legacy-nELsOn
04-01-2005, 12:05 AM
hmm... now - it really doesn't have the atmosphere that unreal 1 has but i still enjoyed the game.
it was pretty short but then again a pretty much straight forward shooter. nice for some evenings spent home alone :)
i guess the problem (not only with the sp titles but with ut's as well) is that back then when they came out there weren't as much shooters as now. go to a game shop and they'll just throw a whole bunch of shooters at you. back in the unreal and unreal tournament days what else could you get? there was basically just quake then... so as a fps fan you either played quake or unreal.
nowadays it takes a really special something to stand out and not that many games have that. (but btw - i hope and at same time am pretty sure epic will manage to make the next unreal tournament stand out!)

legacy-Grimlock
04-01-2005, 05:43 AM
Shows how much you know about FPSers.

legacy-U2F_TG
04-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Graphically it can still compete with all the new ganmes out there..

gamewise.. let's just say that opions differ..

Oh and about that Grimlock-person .. that's not an opinion, that's just his constipation doing the talking

Now where are the godd*mn smilies on this board... :mad:

legacy-nELsOn
04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
@Grimlock: were you referring to my post?
well, i'll just assume you were...
as i stated by saying 'I guess' that was my personal point of view and to me it seems to be like i already said.
the reason i said it is that i didn't want to post something like this:

OMG - THAT'S TEH R0X0R GAME, D0000D!!! BUY IT!!!

or

F**KING SH*T THAT GAME SUXXX A$$

since there was this kind of post i thought 'hmm... what might be the reason that some people didn't enjoy this game'. and that's the reason for my post.
i'm quite aware that there were some other fps back then but to make clear what i thought i just pointed out this pretty big 'conflict' between quake and ut fans...

if you actually weren't referring to my post i apologize for this amount of... well, stuff... :)

legacy-Summerbee
04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
A friend of mine told that it will show up with nice graphics and cool weapons. But the gameplay won't smack you down - compared to Unreal I.
All in all he was disappointed and told me it was a little boring.
But if you can get it cheaply you should take a try.

legacy-fts
04-01-2005, 10:48 AM
i wouldn't recommend buying u2. The single player is not even comparable to u1, and the multi-player (xmp) doesn't even display the server list anymore. if you pay over $10 for it now, you'll regret it.

UnrealGrrl
04-02-2005, 04:54 AM
Unreal2 was fun, looks good but has its soft spots that have been pointed out...

if you were a hardcore Unreal fan that was looking for a sequel to Unreal, this was not what many of us were hoping for. by itself, its a fun game, but to many fans it was a disappointment...

if youre looking for something like UC then stick with Unreal Tournament games.

but as a decent scifi mission style game with some really fun sequences and good graphics its def worth the 10-20 bucks it costs now.

and ppl need to get over Legend bashing, sheesh.

legacy-Dante
04-02-2005, 06:28 AM
U2:the awakening is ok,if you go in without high expectations you'll enjoy it.the biggest problem was it was supposed to revitilise the single player fps genre,which it didn't-big deal the game is ok,xmp is great,worth the 20bucks or whatever.

legacy-Apophis_Doom
04-03-2005, 02:51 PM
I would not recommend buying that travesty of a game at all it has a terrible story line as well as awful gameplay and pretty disgraceful guns.

This game does not deserve the title of "Unreal"

legacy-DAMARUS
04-03-2005, 11:41 PM
i wouldn't recommend bying unreal 2: the awakening as there are lo...ng ....lo...ad...in...g ...tim....es, if you know what i mean. cause my brother has the xbox version of the game, and i tell you, the loading times are long.

DAMARUS

legacy-DAMARUS
04-04-2005, 10:39 PM
i never thought i would say this. but i think the game would have been better with a couple of plot twists, cooler weapons, and a more diverse range of enemies {apart of the family of diffrent skaarj's are alright}. but this is my opinion of course.

Damarus

legacy-Descentia
04-05-2005, 04:50 AM
If you're wanting an awesome UT game for the PC and you liked UC, I would suggest Unreal Tournament 2004!!! Heck, even UT2003 was good.

legacy-Dante
04-05-2005, 07:09 AM
Or the original UT,im not a fan of 2k3,its map design really irks me,so does the overlying theme of the game.

legacy-rucnok
04-06-2005, 09:29 AM
DONT GET IT FOR XBOX

legacy-dinwitty
04-06-2005, 03:53 PM
mm, Grimlock, we meet again at last, I am your father, and I cut off your hand....buhahahahaa

kidding aside...

U2 definately demonstrated the newer Uengine, but it took me 2 days to play it out.

Unreal took way longer. Perhaps I am a better player, dunno.

I like Unreal better and will replay it anytime.

If there is an Unreal 3 I hope it is done right and take all the time needed to make it cool.

Consider all the extra little things put into Unreal, like a goodie placed underneath a walkramp and you have to jump down and grab it then jump over to a ledge before it collapses you into a deadly brink.

Great detail in a game is cool, but is no good when you need the game to come out cool too.
Legend did really good on Wheel of Time.

Go grab it if you can find it.

legacy-livingtarget
04-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Like most other people said it's a bit weak but not too bad. There is certainly some fun to be had. Definitly looked good at the time.

As said somewhere I would never blame Legend for not making it good enough. I feel strongly that Atari may have had some work in that.

legacy-Netsurfer733
04-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Unreal 2 XMP is a multiplayer mode i still play until this day. You can still see the server lists but if they don't come up sometimes then you just have to check/uncheck the "dead" server filter option on the left.

It's going to be second only to Unreal Championship 2 when it comes out :D [note: much worth the $ alone! Ive played a few min of U2 single player and thats it :P ]

legacy-Kronon
04-18-2005, 03:55 AM
You could also buy UT and then add on some single-player mods to it. Even old Unreal 1 is possible to play from UT, with UTs weapons and all. But ofcourse, these games are pretty old and you wont get the modern fancy gfx with em.

I thought Unreal II was fun while I played it. Nothing special, just easy going fun. By the way, I thought the same when playing HL2 (nice graphics, fairly fun, bad story).

/Kronon

legacy-jay101
04-20-2005, 07:37 AM
is it true ive herd news of UT 2005

legacy-Retodon8
04-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Am I reading right you want to know if you heard news about UT2005?
Truthfully, I don't know, how would I? :)
I'm guessing you did.

It has been more or less announced, but it will be officially announced at next E3.
However, this thread isn't about that, so see the thread about it for more information.

legacy-UndeadMessenger
04-26-2005, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't reccomend it. It wasn't that good.