PDA

View Full Version : Server Selecting

Dman69
07-31-2006, 01:50 AM
Server List or Auto Server finding?

I used to love server list until halo 2 showed me how amazingly awesome it is to have servers auto picked for you!

Server list suck ass. GRAW being the ultimate example, it takes about 45 minutes to find a server, only to get about 5 minutes of play time. And thats not an exageration :mad:

Having a server auto picked is great, you get completely new teammates / enemies each time and each game is unique. Plus the amount of time it takes to get back into the game and playing is amazingly decreased, of course this depends on the host, but I find most host take at least 3 times longer to restart a game than halo 2 ever took to get you into one.

Server list only work for games with larger number of players and dedicated servers. Counter-strike / battlefield 2 types.

Plus if you want custom servers? Have an option to make your own! just like halo 2!, only without it being in a stupid list

Halo 2 type servers please!

What's your opinion?

JizzO
07-31-2006, 01:56 AM
Server List or Auto Server finding.

I used to love server list until halo 2 showed me how amazingly awesome it is to have servers auto picked for you!

Server list suck ass. GRAW being the ultimate example, it takes about 45 minutes to find a server, only to get about 5 minutes of play time. And thats not an exageration :mad:

Having a server auto picked is great, you get completely new teammates / enemies each time and each game is unique. Plus the amount of time it takes to get back into the game and playing is amazingly decreased, of course this depends on the host.

Server list only work for games with larger number of players and dedicated servers. Counter-strike / battlefield 2 types.

What's your opinion?

All I have to say if you're going to compare it to the 'H' word is that since Bungie was stupid and made it Player-Hosting, I guess you never got Modded by the same people multiple times in a row. In my own opinion I don't mind which is used. It's just the 'H' word's Online Multiplayer was terrible. Host's would always own, Stand-By'ing always happened, and you get annoying losers who most of the time just play the game to annoy people. I'm not pointing that comment towards Teenagers since I, myself am a Teen Gamer (14 y.o.) I think that Auto-Selecting can go a long way with Online Gaming; it just needs to be put in the right hands. And since we're talking about EPIC here, they are in perfect hands.

Dman69
07-31-2006, 02:05 AM
All I have to say if you're going to compare it to the 'H' word is that since Bungie was stupid and made it Player-Hosting, I guess you never got Modded by the same people multiple times in a row. In my own opinion I don't mind which is used. It's just the 'H' word's Online Multiplayer was terrible. Host's would always own, Stand-By'ing always happened, and you get annoying losers who most of the time just play the game to annoy people. I'm not pointing that comment towards Teenagers since I, myself am a Teen Gamer (14 y.o.) I think that Auto-Selecting can go a long way with Online Gaming; it just needs to be put in the right hands. And since we're talking about EPIC here, they are in perfect hands.

I found the majority of "H" matches to be very fair with great teammates, I ran into cheaters rarely, and when I did i reported them, YAY XBOX LIVE! But I'm talking about the server selection. Just because theres a server list, doesn't mean your not running into modders/jerks. Its just that when you do run into them. Its a pain in the ass cause it sucked up about 15 minutes of your time downloading the list, joining the server, getting into the game, finding out they cheat, then having to redownloadt he list, go select a new server, so on... and often times joining the same server because it looked good and you forgot the host name. :mad:

I prefer being able to just quit, report cheating/bad playing, and let bungie/hopefully epic, throw me into another server automatically lickity split

EDIT: oops sorry i just argued against you even though you weren't arguing @_@

JizzO
07-31-2006, 02:06 AM
If you put it that way, then yes I would like Auto-Selecting; just as long as it's not as bad as 'H'.

Dman69
07-31-2006, 02:12 AM
If you put it that way, then yes I would like Auto-Selecting; just as long as it's not as bad as 'H'.

hehe, I found "H" to have the best auto-selecting I've ever used.
Most games with auto select dont actually do it right by sticking you in a server that you can join.

I'm just thinkin back to GRAW really, like when I'd say auto-select, and it would take like 20 seconds of thinking, then BAM! OOPS SERVER IS FULL! WTF!? THEN WHY DID YOU AUTO SELECT IT FOR ME? :mad:

GRAW made me hate server lists forever! At least for player-hosted :)

Anyways I would be extremely happy if epic copied halo 2 server selecting to the letter.

rEDChief55
07-31-2006, 02:28 AM
hopefully is auto server and a dedicated server, not player server :)

JizzO
07-31-2006, 02:42 AM
hopefully is auto server and a dedicated server, not player server :)

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! That's all I need in a game with Online Multiplayer. I always fear if it has Player-Hosting and not Dedicated Servers...... Dedicated FTW! :p

rEDChief55
07-31-2006, 02:50 AM
EXACTLY!!!!!!!! That's all I need in a game with Online Multiplayer. I always fear if it has Player-Hosting and not Dedicated Servers...... Dedicated FTW! :p
and there wont be any "the host has a huge advantage" excuses then, man, was that annoying

UnDeRĝAtH
07-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Yeah, I knew a guy who used a modded controller. We didn't figure it out for a while (me and my friends), we just thought he was incredibly good, (considering ALL he did was play H2 Online, every day all day.) Even without it he could win a 1v1 match 50 to about 1-3, but with it he would win 50 to 0. (the only reason we finally figured it out was when he threw 8 sticky granades at the EXACT same time. It looked like one and then right before it reached my friend it spread into 8 around him.)

He got so kick-ass that no one wanted to play with him any more. I don't know if anyone still does or not, but since most people didn't really treat him all that well I can kind of see why he did it. In 6th or 7th grade I was the only kid that talked to him. I didn't know he wasn't considered "cool". I didn't care. Heck, I wasn't considered "cool". Like I say "I was a geek BEFORE it was cool" (anyone else notice this? Being a geek seems to be "in" nowadays. huh... whats with that...) hell, it almost could have been the other way around. He was the only kid that talked to ME...

Whoa... where did that rant come from? I just started typing about this guy I knew and then I kept going... Well I Guess it just shows you that maybe hackers arn't idiots, they are just people who were misunderstood as a child and so they got messed up as an older teenager and spent all their times playing video games until they had to be the best player out there.

outlaw
07-31-2006, 04:53 AM
hey if you dont like server list what do you think the "quick match " option is for? is exatcly the same as the H word auto pick maybe a little worse. bu the end of the day you can have both.

relyt9
07-31-2006, 05:25 AM
hey if you dont like server list what do you think the "quick match " option is for? is exatcly the same as the H word auto pick maybe a little worse. bu the end of the day you can have both.

Yea, but I can't even count how many times in GRAW I've used quickmatch and it kept on putting me in full games, I think they should have auto select dedicates servers, like someone said earlier.

rEDChief55
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Yea, but I can't even count how many times in GRAW I've used quickmatch and it kept on putting me in full games, I think they should have auto select dedicates servers, like someone said earlier.
that would be nice.....

Headbanger145
07-31-2006, 08:26 PM
i wouldt want server lists i liked the Halo 2 style better, choosing the right server can take awile and just takes away form the fun but if it pics on for you that matches what you want like Halo then its quicker and you can pick up a game that hasnt started yet

rEDChief55
08-01-2006, 01:36 AM
i wouldt want server lists i liked the Halo 2 style better, choosing the right server can take awile and just takes away form the fun but if it pics on for you that matches what you want like Halo then its quicker and you can pick up a game that hasnt started yet
yea both sides have their pros and cons, but i would have to agree with you, i like the party system a lot and it would be great for this game