PDA

View Full Version : Ping

legacy-Brysamo
03-23-2006, 10:02 PM
wtf is with the ping latley, it's been sky rocketing over 1000 and whenever i finally get into a room with a ping of under 500, i get banned the second i spawn:mad:

it's at the point where i can't even play:mad:

MysTikal
03-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, are you downloading? Where do you live? Whats your isp? Are you connecting to a local server? Whats your download speed? Dial-up doesnt work with UT2004 well.....if you have dial up.

legacy-Brysamo
03-26-2006, 08:53 PM
dl speed: i've seen it go higher than a meg/sec
isp: optimum online

it was fine between thursday(first post) and today, but all of a sudden, my ping is 650.

i have no dl's/ul's going on, no im's although i'm signed on(but that was never a problem), not running any scans, nothing else open

legacy-qazxswedc
03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
i know a guy with optimum online in NY that has a 8ms ping to my server near DC (thats from a tracert, not in game)

Do you have windows patched to the fullest? You could have a worm. it definitely sounds like something is using bandwidth when its not supposed to. Those pings are incredibly high, waaaay high.

If you have those two blinking monitors down by the time, they shouldn't be lighting up unless some program is using bandwidth.

If you don't have that then, control panel, network connections, right click the local area connection tab and hit "status". Those numbers should be practically still, when you aren't on the net, or downloading something. If its constantly increasing, then you have a program hogging bandwidth.

Hit escape mid game and look at your name, see if P/L (packet loss) is something other than zero. Is your player "warping" mid game? Getting jerked around?

MysTikal
03-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Try virus scans/ adware / spyware scans. Check the server location your connecting to, and new modem/router drivers.
Also, if youre connecting through wireless, make sure its a secure network! Many people leech off other peoples connections if its got no security or an easy security pass.

legacy-Brysamo
04-02-2006, 08:55 PM
once again, it was fine all weeks until today

i've been doing spyware, ad-aware and virus scans daily, i've signed off all im services, closed all windows, shutdown limewire, but still had an extremely high ping that increased by 2 every second. wtf is going on!?:mad:

fuegerstef
04-03-2006, 06:47 AM
Did you do a tracert/ping to one of the servers you usually play on and ping to well???

If not and you happen to not know how to do it:

-Select "Run" from the Start menu
-Enter "cmd" (without the quotes) into the text field
- now in the console that opened enter the following:
"tracert 123.456.789.0" (change the numbers to the IP of the server you usually play, you can get it from the Server Browser)

Post the results here if you don't know what that all means.

legacy-Brysamo
04-03-2006, 04:41 PM
but i don't play on one single server, i play on multiple servers a day

fuegerstef
04-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Then just pick one where it occurs (any, I assume?).

ANyways, I am from Germany and will go to bed now. I cannot help you any further til tomorrow. But I think there are others that can help you before me, when you post the results.

That way we can figure out if it is your machine or maybe the ISP or whatever?

legacy-Brysamo
04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
well, it lowered the ping below 100, not far below it, but lower than the point of lagging

what i still don't get is, how come all of a sudden, that was the only way. i mean it was fine and then out of nowhere the pings started sky rocketing. i mean my router was acting up a few weeks ago, but the ping was fine before during and after up until i posted this topic

fuegerstef
04-04-2006, 06:59 AM
well, it lowered the ping below 100, not far below it, but lower than the point of lagging

what i still don't get is, how come all of a sudden, that was the only way. i mean it was fine and then out of nowhere the pings started sky rocketing. i mean my router was acting up a few weeks ago, but the ping was fine before during and after up until i posted this topic

If you would post the traceroutes, we could help you with your questions. But it seems you don't want to do that but keep asking "How come? Why? What happened?"

legacy-Brysamo
04-04-2006, 06:30 PM
ok but, um, wut r traceoutes?:confused:

fuegerstef
04-07-2006, 06:36 AM
ok but, um, wut r traceoutes?:confused:

YOu really do not like to read what other people post??????

I just wrote a few posts above:

If... ...you happen to not know how to do it:

-Select "Run" from the Start menu
-Enter "cmd" (without the quotes) into the text field
- now in the console that opened enter the following:
"tracert 123.456.789.0" (change the numbers to the IP of the server you usually play, you can get it from the Server Browser)

legacy-Brysamo
04-07-2006, 03:13 PM
o, i did that, but what do u want me to post a pick of, the returned statement?

fuegerstef
04-07-2006, 03:52 PM
yep.

You can also copy/paste the text. You have to rightclick into the titlebar for that and select edit -> se÷ect and edit -> copy

legacy-Brysamo
04-07-2006, 08:48 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/brysamo/ping.gif

and btw, my ping is back above 500:mad:

legacy-i_doit3d
04-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Do it without the port. Trace to the IP only.

legacy-Brysamo
04-08-2006, 02:40 AM
k, it worked thx

i'll let u know in a week if it's still workin :p

fuegerstef
04-08-2006, 06:56 AM
k, it worked thx

:bulb:

What worked? Traceroutes aren't supposed to "work". They only give info (i.e. tracing the route) of the signal from your PC through the internet to the server. Additionally there is info how long the signal takes at what point of it's journey.

And from these times you can see where the problem of your high ping comes from.

legacy--elusivex-
04-08-2006, 08:33 AM
:bulb:

What worked? Traceroutes aren't supposed to "work". They only give info (i.e. tracing the route) of the signal from your PC through the internet to the server. Additionally there is info how long the signal takes at what point of it's journey.

And from these times you can see where the problem of your high ping comes from.
lol this guy whom you're helping is weird fuegerstef...it's like he ain't even listening to you fully:noob:

legacy-Brysamo
04-08-2006, 03:56 PM
then if it's not supposed to "work" how did my ping get sliced in half?

anyways, here ya go:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/brysamo/ping2.gif

fuegerstef
04-09-2006, 08:46 AM
As, said. THe traceroutouting doesn't affect your pings at all. It was a pure random incident that it got better while you did that.

OK, the ping seems very fine in this picture.

I assume* that you run a local network with a server in the house? Is this network shared by others (roommates dowloading pics from the internet, parents working from ther home office, etc...)?

*) The router IP is usually not 192.168.0.1 but 192.168.2.1. Is this correct for you? If you do not know, ask someone who knows the IP adresses of your network setup.

EDIT:
IF I am sounding funny or not undestandable at all: I came home at 5:30 AM and after a lot of drinks... ..so be easy with me today.

legacy-Brysamo
04-09-2006, 03:06 PM
1) i don't have a server, i play on other's
2) i currently live at home so it's only shared by me, my dad, and my sister but i'm the only ut2004 player(only one with a comp that can handle it)
3) the router ip is correct

now the thing is, my ping is beyond spontaneous so it might be a while before i can do a trace of it during a high ping

edit: got some anomilies(sp*):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/brysamo/ping3.gif
they're numbered in the order that they were traced

fuegerstef
04-10-2006, 07:17 AM
1) i don't have a server, i play on other's

I was talking about a home network.

Look, not every server in the world is a UT2004 server to play on.
Every website is hosted on a server. And even if you have a small network at home there are servers.

legacy-The Shiny Sword
04-10-2006, 08:33 AM
2) i currently live at home so it's only shared by me, my dad, and my sister but i'm the only ut2004 player(only one with a comp that can handle it)

IT doesn't matter about that. If ANYONE IS ONLINE...! It uses up bandwidth... ON ANYTHING... NOT just Ut2004...! Do you listen at all :bulb:

So if your sister is on a website, +ping. If your dad is doing work or checking e-mail, +ping. If you have Im up, +ping. ANYTHING even remotely online effects it.

legacy-Brysamo
04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
my sister was at a friends house all weekend and my dad wasn't on his while i was

i was completley exited out of aim and msnm, i shut down limewire, and firefox was closed

legacy-Brysamo
04-15-2006, 04:33 PM
um, anyone? fuegerstef? the shiny sword?

legacy-Brysamo
04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
could u atleast tell me how i can find out wut's sucking in the bandwidth?