PDA

View Full Version : Zound Problem... again!

QettoE
07-19-2004, 09:10 AM
I've had Zound mutator on my server for a while. It just stopped working with no obvious error.

You connect to the server, download the package and sound file, and when you join the game you can't get it to say a word. Mutate Zounds works in the console and will show you the list of available Zounds, but nothing happens then.

I then upgraded to Zound 45, redid my ini file, redid my .uax file and nothing worked.

Any ideas?

)o(QettoE

Frogger
07-19-2004, 10:51 AM
can you post the serverpackages you are running as well as ony mut lines..are you running ut2vote, or how are you starting the mutator

QettoE
07-19-2004, 12:22 PM
I have these for server packages:

ServerPackages=OmniZoundsss
ServerPackages=Zound45

Server Command Line:

Mutator=Zound45.Zound

Zound45.ini:

[Zound45.ZoundConfigs]
SoundFileName1=OmniZoundsss.uax
SoundFileName2=
SoundFileName2=
bZound=True
SoundDelay=5
LoginDelay=3
SoundsEach=10
DelaysEach=1
Dedicated=True
SayTrigger=False
bAnnounce=True
bBuffSound=False
ZoundVolume=1.75
StandardServer=True
NoSpecToPlayer=False

[Zound45.ZTriggers]
Sounds[0]=10secs
Sounds[1]=artist
Sounds[2]=askinyou
and so on...

Thanks,

legacy-mdhutson
07-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Im running into a few problems running it myself. I have a few questions about the setyup.

1) Do the sound files have to be in the system folder or do they stay in the Sounds folder?

2) Does the ServerPackages= lines have to have the file extension or a folder path or just normal?

3) In the Zound config, you are supposed to put the .uax at the end of the file name right?

QettoE
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
1. In Sounds folder.
2. No extension. Only ServerActors may have extensions.
3. In Zound config you must specify the extension. I never used it without.

Q.

Frogger
07-19-2004, 04:52 PM
i see no issues with this info...when i get home i'll post my lines for reference...in your server dialog/server log..can you see zound being initiated? and any errors find sounds?

Wormbo
07-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by QettoE
1. In Sounds folder.
2. No extension. Only ServerActors may have extensions.
3. In Zound config you must specify the extension. I never used it without.

Q.
1. UAX -> Sounds directory (because it reads "Paths=..\Sounds\*.uax" in UT2004.ini or the server's ini file)
2. Neither ServerPackages nor ServerActors allow you to specify a file extension or path name. If you do your server will most likely crash. ServerPackages ist just the PackageName, ServerActors is PackageName.ClassName, in both cases the values are case-insensitive.
3. No idea about Zounds configuration at all, but it sounds weird to me to specify a file extension where a mutator is supposed to build sound object names (i.e. PackageName.SoundName) from the stuff that'S configured there.

Frogger
07-19-2004, 04:56 PM
entries in zound4x.ini do require the .uax extension

QettoE
07-19-2004, 04:59 PM
It initiates alright, that's why it's weird. I've redone this Zound several times with no results. It just stopped working by itself. The weirdest thing is that there can't be any mutatro conflict since I'm only running UAdminMod and AntiTCC.

You connect to my server, download the packages, .uax, mutator shows up in the list of mutators, and you can even pull a list of available Zounds by typing "mutate zounds" in the console.... but whatever you type in chat will show up on screen despite show word is disabled in my ini.

QettoE,

QettoE
07-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Wormbo

2. Neither ServerPackages nor ServerActors allow you to specify a file extension or path name. If you do your server will most likely crash. ServerPackages ist just the PackageName, ServerActors is PackageName.ClassName, in both cases the values are case-insensitive..

Sorry, my fault. I refered to that ClassName as extension.

QettoE,

Frogger
07-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by QettoE
It initiates alright, that's why it's weird. I've redone this Zound several times with no results. It just stopped working by itself. The weirdest thing is that there can't be any mutatro conflict since I'm only running UAdminMod and AntiTCC.

QettoE,

maybe try running wihout antitcc..i have been running uadminmod for months with zound with no issues.. (no reason to think it conflicts with antitcc..just an idea)

QettoE
07-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Actually it stopped when I was still using UTSecure, but I also tried without any muts... no success.

Q.

legacy-mdhutson
07-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Maybe Q and I have the same problem. Mine just wont work. I see the message saying its loading zounds and it looks okay. I can also pull the list of triggers with the command mutate zounds. I dont have mine set to hide the trigger words but when I type one it just pops up. No sound at all. And I have the volume set to 1.5.

Also, I use the nss11 and nss22 files for sounds. If I put 'ServerPackages=nss11' then how does the game know to look for the nss11 file in the sounds directory and not the system folder?

Frogger
07-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by mdhutson
Also, I use the nss11 and nss22 files for sounds. If I put 'ServerPackages=nss11' then how does the game know to look for the nss11 file in the sounds directory and not the system folder?

not sure how it knows..but i also have texture files referenced as a serverpackage for my logo...it isn't just system files..

legacy-BitterCube
07-20-2004, 05:35 PM
this mutator gets on my nervs at times....some public server out there has just takin it to far...lol

Frogger
07-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by BitterCube
this mutator gets on my nervs at times....some public server out there has just takin it to far...lol

ev1 loves it on ours...

(well the ones that keep coming back anyway)

legacy-BitterCube
07-21-2004, 02:30 AM
ohh well....some ppl like to hear krusty the clown laugh every 2 second when they frag.....i think its annoying :D

legacy-TDW-Socke
07-21-2004, 03:20 AM
how about posting your sound-files and your ini?

i have it running with lots of mutators, including antitcc (also did it with utsecure). I had my problems, but solved them all... maybe we find some things...

legacy-mdhutson
07-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Well for mine I use nss11.uax and nss22.uax. Both of which I got from the uz2.gameservers.net/ut2004 redirect site.

ServerPackages=Zound45
ServerPackages=nss11
ServerPackages=nss22

My ini:

[Zound45.ZoundConfigs]
SoundFileName1=nss11.uax
SoundFileName2=nss22.uax
SoundFileName2=
bZound=True
SoundDelay=5
LoginDelay=5
SoundsEach=10
DelaysEach=10
Dedicated=True
SayTrigger=True
bAnnounce=True
bBuffSound=False
ZoundVolume=1.5
StandardServer=False
NoSpecToPlayer=False

and the triggers were all typed to be what I saw the sound labeled as when I opened the .uax files in UnrealEd to test them out.

And as I think I mentioned before, I get the message in the server console that Zound45 was starting, and upon entering the game, I could type 'mutate zounds' and it gave me the list of triggers. So I know the mutator was active.

QettoE
07-21-2004, 01:26 PM
That seems weird, anyway you look at it. Hope Proasm guys pass by this post and give us some kind of hint.

Q

Frogger
07-21-2004, 01:38 PM
And as I think I mentioned before, I get the message in the server console that Zound45 was starting, and upon entering the game, I could type 'mutate zounds' and it gave me the list of triggers. So I know the mutator was active.

after zound starts (in server console) do you see any messages about not being able to find any sounds? i.e. 'cannot find sound 'hello''

QettoE
07-21-2004, 02:14 PM
No. Nothing at all. It's fully active but triggers don't work. Even plays Hello when you join the server.

Q.

legacy-mdhutson
07-22-2004, 02:33 AM
I saw a message once about not being able to find one. But then I reexamined my ini file and found I had spelled one wrong. I fixed it and no more 'cant find file' errors but still no sounds will play.

legacy-mdhutson
07-22-2004, 03:20 AM
HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fixed mine.

The problem was the server packages lines.
They should be

ServerPackages=yoursoundfile.uax

so changing mine to
ServerPackages=nss11.uax

fixed the whole thing.
So for future reference, ServerPackages lines DO need to have file extensions if they are files that reside anywhere but the system folder.

legacy-TDW-Socke
07-22-2004, 03:45 AM
this is wired and in my case, it works without the extensions...

you dindn't do any changes to the soundfiles, right? so as theese files are some kind of public soundfiles, they are all the same. on every server, and on every redirect... that is quite important...

and also there is no other file with the same name allowed in another folder, means no nss11.u or nss11.utx or something like that...

and you know, the triggersounds for the first package go from 0-99, for the second from 100-199 etc. so if your first package has 80 sounds, you must continue with the first sound of the second soundfile at position 100, not at 81.

Frogger
07-22-2004, 07:29 AM
good points socke..

i have never in 10 versions of zound had the extension in my serverpackages lines...

but whatever works...:up:

legacy-mdhutson
07-22-2004, 12:04 PM
well even if Im wrong and you arent supposed to have it in there its the only thing that fixed it for me. And it makes sense. How does the game know to look for a file called nss11 if its not in the system folder. Think about when you use 'ucc decompress' or 'ucc umodunpack' on a file. You always have to have it either in the system folder or specify something like "..\Maps\mapname.ut2.uz2"
Seems to me that ucc can be really stupid about its own directories sometimes.

Frogger
07-22-2004, 01:53 PM
well even if Im wrong and you arent supposed to have it in there its the only thing that fixed it for me. And it makes sense.

i agree...i've never done it that way..but whatever works...

legacy-TDW-Socke
07-23-2004, 06:42 AM
well, i had it right the other way round...

i added a serverpackages=UT2Vote43.UT2Vote and got endless restarts, because ucc couldn't find that file ;)

but as frogger says, as long as it works :)

QettoE
07-23-2004, 08:39 AM
That's werid. I'm pretty sure that they should not have extensions. I just redid my ini file with that extension too see if it'll work, but since I'm at work I can' t check it. I'll post the results later today.

QettoE
07-23-2004, 08:42 AM
That's werid. I'm pretty sure that they should not have extensions. I just redid my ini file with that extension too see if it'll work, but since I'm at work I can' t check it. I'll post the results later today.

Q.

QettoE
07-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Adding .uax did not crash my server. If anyone can check my server out before I get home the address is here: ut2004://66.92.131.5:7777/.

Thank you all for your support. That's why after 33 years of age I'm still playing MP games!

QettoE,

QettoE
07-23-2004, 02:29 PM
It's not working yet. It just shows whatever zounds you call on the screen, but when you connect to the server it plays "hello" zound. I'm going to downgrade it to an older version and see if it'll work.

QettoE,

QettoE
08-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I have found the solution:

IRCReporter did not share resource with other stuff. Disbled it and worked.

Thanks for all your inputs.

QettoE,

ProAsm
08-21-2004, 02:45 PM
LOL amazing how quick a thread grows - sorry for not stopping by earlier.

Yes there are several Mods out there that will break Zound4x
Zound uses the BroadCastHandler to get its triggers.
There are other ways but this is the easiest.
The problem comes in that authors of some mods dont know how to share the BroadcastHandler with other Mods and tend to hog it all to themselves and by doing that, any other Mod that needs the BroadCastHandler just looses out.

Mods that use the BroadCastHandler are mainly IRC, Chat, Advertising, GameStats and sometimes WebAdmin related type mods so just keep an eye out for these.
Version 2.x of OLStats will also break Zound4x

Also any Zound before Zound45 will in some cases break other Mods as its BroadCastHandler return function had a bug that broke some mods.
Zound45 and above is the one to use.

Regarding the Serverpackages, yes I have also noticed that sometimes the Soundfile's extension is needed and sometimes not so whatever works for you is fine :)

In the ini file the 3 SoundFileNames need the .uax extension.
The reason I did this is cosmetic only and makes the admin sit up and think on what he is doing as you will be amazed how many admin leave their files as .wav files and then add their names here.

Another usefull tip which works ok is you can have only ONE filename with 250 words in it and put that filename in all 3 SoundFileNames in the ini file - thanks to Crafty for figuring that one out :D

Crafty also has a nice tutorial here that he put together.
http://tutorials.gamersanonymous.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3

Enjoy ;)