PDA

View Full Version : Vash Model is done!

legacy-Vash the Stampe
04-25-2004, 08:18 PM
1 full days work here it is!

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Tcldruid/screen_shot.jpg

tell me what you think, any suggestions accepted, and also ummm whats my next step in getting this guy in game... i made it in MayaPLE...

legacy-Vash the Stampe
04-25-2004, 08:20 PM
this is my very first model ever:D

legacy-BronzeMan
04-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I have been following your progress, and I must say that this is exceptional for a new modeler. good job man, and keep up the good work ;)

legacy-Vash the Stampe
04-25-2004, 08:57 PM
thanks... iv been playing with it for a day now and this is the final result... any suggestions would be great and also I hope someone can give me an idea of what i need to do next... thanks in advance...

legacy-dashizzle666
04-25-2004, 10:11 PM
lookin prety good, i like the concept. however the feet look a little pointy and flat. Also the long coat mite pose a problem in some animations, let me know how that works out...i love those kind of models.

other than that i love it!

legacy-acc
04-25-2004, 10:28 PM
You don't use smoothing functions on game models. It's MeshSmooth in Max, don't know what it's called in Maya, but whatever it is: Don't use it.
But to keep it lighting smoothly, even if it is lower poly, you use... "soft edges" I think it's called in Maya. Essentially, it makes shading blend between polygons, to fake a roundish look.

Also, put less individual spikes in the hair and rough out the general shape of it instead (just looks like a ring of spikes right now, empty in the middle).

legacy-Vash the Stampe
04-26-2004, 06:15 AM
ya i think i was going to work on the feet and the hair... the feet looks like a gjini or something... question gow would i do the smoothing u spoke off?

legacy-Vash the Stampe
04-26-2004, 07:35 AM
OK I NEED AN EXACT IDEA OF WHAT I NEED TO DO NEXT...

i plan to make some tweeks to the model but what do I do next after I finish the mesh!? ....

Thanks in advance and thanks to all who got me started... tutorial wise and those who suggested MayaPLE (had no idea it was on the cd)

legacy-Vash the Stampe
04-26-2004, 03:31 PM
bump

legacy-ImaCarrot
04-26-2004, 06:28 PM
The smoothing method that acc is talking about is called soften normals in Maya and smoothing groups in Max. To use it in Maya, go to the Edit Polygons menu > normals > Soften/Harden options. The little box next to the Soften/Harden name will take you to the options. It will bring up a little dialogue box that is pretty self explanetory. Just click the All Soft button and the apply and close. I almost forgot, you need to be in the edges sub object mode and you need to select all of the edges that you want to soften. Hope that helps, I'll explain how to do it in Max if you need that too.

By the way, how many polys is this guy?

legacy-dandeloreon1984
04-26-2004, 07:29 PM
Quick question are u goin to have two versions... one cell shaded version and the other as a normal shaded one?

legacy-Vash the Stampe
04-26-2004, 08:58 PM
i truely have no idea what my next step is i put this model together and probably will end up redoing it to get a better symetrical effect on the body aswell as changing some stuff my hair and boots need some work but once i redo it i can start from there... if anyone has an explanation of what exactly i need to do next to get this thing working or something like that ( like puting it on a skelly or skinning it would be nice to know which i should do next and how..)

Dario D.
04-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by acc
You don't use smoothing functions on game models. It's MeshSmooth in Max, don't know what it's called in Maya, but whatever it is: Don't use it.
But to keep it lighting smoothly, even if it is lower poly, you use... "soft edges" I think it's called in Maya. Essentially, it makes shading blend between polygons, to fake a roundish look.
In Max you can get that same effect by activating MeshSmooth, and not changing the Iterations. Just having MeshSmooth active does some massive normal-flipping, though sometimes to ugly effect.