PDA

View Full Version : WARNING........DIRECTX9 is JUNK (check your closelly)

legacy-Clan [WIZ]
03-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Welp i finally pinpointed out the problem with ALL my pcs and people i know (total bout 12 pcs in all or more)...... it was DIRECTX 9 causing all the KAOS ... even with a fresh OS and installs of everything,, formating too,,,even went as far as changing EVERYTHING (hardware) inside my pc and on ALL the rest of my pcs to find this out.... Im preparing to Write,Call ,and or Email Directx(microsoft) about this issue.... So if anyone here uses directx .. check your version you are using... if your not using directx 9 i would not advise you to update to it.... stay with version 8 series.

If you are, check and watch your visuals while playing any game using directx9,, ecspecially unreal series games,,, it makes the game STUTTER and JITTER bad visually even when playing offline..... if you are getting this ,,you need to email directx right away as well,,,,,,

just to prove my point that IT IS DIRECTX9 .... Change your Video setting ingame in unreal tournament to OPENGL instead directx and you will see how smooth it plays :twisted: just gotta boost up the brightness a bit to see better..

Welp tyme to go send MICROJUNK a book for DUMMYS ... (AgAiN):bulb:

legacy-GrooveI76
03-22-2004, 09:19 PM
I tried this idea yesterday and it still freezes for about 10 secs. Giving the game a chance I thought that maybe it still used the D3D dll despite me commenting out which drivers to use (Now that is what I call reaching). Anyway, I installed it on my Linux side to make sure it was definetly using OpenGL and once again the game still froze for about 10 secs. I don't know but it's just not looking like its a few quirky INI setting or someones computer isn't updated correctly but rather bad programming possibly caused by the company's rush to get the game out the door. So until we get a patch, and hopefully soon, we're stuck with a buggy game. I'm just glad I bought it while it was $30 rather than $50.

legacy-Flak Pyro
03-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Im using the nvidia 40.72's and it works good so far

*knock on wood* :D

legacy-Sean Duncan
03-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I am having random errors on maps where i will get a strange color panel or wall pretruding out of something to the center of my screen. Its random on the maps and does not occur on many maps. about 2 or 3 in total. its kinda weird. any ideas?

legacy-ShiZZa
03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
This game uses the DX8 Interface. The Directx 9 interface wasn't included with the retail game or beta game. So this game is using DX8 extentions and not DX9 extentions. But when they release the DX9 extentions you will be ready for them. Thats why the box says DX9.

legacy-Tkmaster
03-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Clan [WIZ]
Welp i finally pinpointed out the problem with ALL my pcs and people i know (total bout 12 pcs in all or more)...... it was DIRECTX 9 causing all the KAOS ... even with a fresh OS and installs of everything,, formating too,,,even went as far as changing EVERYTHING (hardware) inside my pc and on ALL the rest of my pcs to find this out.... Im preparing to Write,Call ,and or Email Directx(microsoft) about this issue.... So if anyone here uses directx .. check your version you are using... if your not using directx 9 i would not advise you to update to it.... stay with version 8 series.

If you are, check and watch your visuals while playing any game using directx9,, ecspecially unreal series games,,, it makes the game STUTTER and JITTER bad visually even when playing offline..... if you are getting this ,,you need to email directx right away as well,,,,,,

just to prove my point that IT IS DIRECTX9 .... Change your Video setting ingame in unreal tournament to OPENGL instead directx and you will see how smooth it plays :twisted: just gotta boost up the brightness a bit to see better..

Welp tyme to go send MICROJUNK a book for DUMMYS ... (AgAiN):bulb:

Heres the prob

UT2k4 Requires dx9
so no dx9 = no ut2k4

legacy-Tkmaster
03-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by ShiZZa
This game uses the DX8 Interface. The Directx 9 interface wasn't included with the retail game or beta game. So this game is using DX8 extentions and not DX9 extentions. But when they release the DX9 extentions you will be ready for them. Thats why the box says DX9.

i would check it again...
guess what dx9 is included with ut2k4

even the install program says directx 9

legacy-Clan [WIZ]
03-23-2004, 12:23 PM
well this problem im having is happening with ALL my games using directx after i installed directx9 from windows updates and or from directx website:cry: :bulb:

legacy-[SRO]Seaner
03-23-2004, 12:33 PM
I have never ever seen any issue since the release of 9.0b. Seen some problems with DX 9.0 and 9.0a.

I program some graphic apps in DX9.0b, and I think it's awesome. I used to do stuff in OpenGL, but have since switched.

legacy-Tkmaster
03-23-2004, 01:00 PM
well this problem im having is happening with ALL my games using directx after i installed directx9 from windows updates and or from directx website:cry: :bulb:
well its your system..

but you will have to realize eventually your going to have to accept the fact that you will need directx9

legacy-Clan [WIZ]
03-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Well i never had these problems till i upgraded to Directx9,, Im using a ... Leadtek A380 Ultra (nvidia 5950) on my main pc..
my other 2 im using a PNY 5200 ultra and the other i have a PNY gef. 3 TI500 all in all are all good videocards,,, like i said above its not my pcs,,, all my pcs are top notch and also have been rebuilt ,,, i run my own pc repair business if this helps out, so im no dummy to computers... all my pcs run Asus or Soyo Mobos and Kingston Hyper Ram pc3200 400 mhtz 1024 mb each pc.... ,,,,,, my main has a AMD 3200+ prossesor the other 2 pcs have 2600+

Well anyways its not my pcs

And from looking at other posts here in the forum and over in the unreal tournament tech forum,,im not the only one having this issue.

legacy-MSNY
03-24-2004, 12:39 PM
even the install program says directx 9

I beleive its REQUIRED to run the game and it says so. To say it's not or advise people not to install it will create even more problems.

See here:
http://www.atarisupport.com/newfaq/unrealtournament2004.php?browser=1&osType=WINXP&pageDisplay=INSTALL#faq_prodissues

Most of the newer games on the market require it now a days.

legacy-coldplasma
03-24-2004, 12:48 PM
UT2004 has currently one D3D 8.1 dll. the reason why DX9 was included with the game is because epic haven't created the D3D9 dll yet and will be working on it in the future. the default UT2004 D3D dll uses DX8.1 extensions. if they had no plans to create a DX9 dll, then they would've included DX8.1....end of story

legacy-MSNY
03-24-2004, 12:54 PM
. the reason why DX9 was included with the game is because epic haven't created the D3D9 dll yet

Hmmm.. then someone needs to correct them ...you would think they would KNOW the requirements ?..:weird:

Ahhh but I see this here now:
http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/specs.php

Dx 8.1 or above....

legacy-coldplasma
03-24-2004, 01:12 PM
well the idea was that ut2004 was in a big demand because or delays etc so epic didn't really have the time to make the d3d9 dll as well so they released it without the D3D9 dll so they could possibly add it in a future patch :)

legacy-Tkmaster
03-24-2004, 01:40 PM
Well i never had these problems till i upgraded to Directx9,, Im using a ... Leadtek A380 Ultra (nvidia 5950) on my main pc..
my other 2 im using a PNY 5200 ultra and the other i have a PNY gef. 3 TI500 all in all are all good videocards,,, like i said above its not my pcs,,, all my pcs are top notch and also have been rebuilt ,,, i run my own pc repair business if this helps out, so im no dummy to computers... all my pcs run Asus or Soyo Mobos and Kingston Hyper Ram pc3200 400 mhtz 1024 mb each pc.... ,,,,,, my main has a AMD 3200+ prossesor the other 2 pcs have 2600+

Well anyways its not my pcs

And from looking at other posts here in the forum and over in the unreal tournament tech forum,,im not the only one having this issue.

well that may be true... however change is coming pretty soon your going to have to bite the bullet and install dx9 because eventually dx9 will be needed in all new games

legacy-Resurrecter
03-24-2004, 01:46 PM
I tried running Opengl last night. It ran worse :(

legacy-coldplasma
03-24-2004, 02:00 PM
OpenGL != D3D
OpenGL == Open source renderer

legacy-Fab5Freddy
03-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Damn, I should have read this earlier. I bought a DX9 card for nothing then...Should have waited for the patch, the price would have been below $200...

legacy-PsychoChihuahua
03-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Interesting. When I play under windows (not often, but it does happen), I have no issues. I am using dx 9.0b or something.

Maybe I'm just lucky. However, I do NOT let windows update do much of anything to my machine. I run sp1, dx9 and not much else.

legacy-CA-Colossus
03-29-2004, 01:04 PM
I have been using DX9.0 since its release... Has worked great for me.. But only a few games would really take advantage of DX 9.0....

So I would say your problem is somewhere else.. Maybe one of your drivers are not playing nice with another...

Whatever, Is your video card even DX9.0 complaint?

legacy-timboo_drow
03-29-2004, 02:18 PM
excuse me if these questions seems incredibly dumb, but I genuinely don't know.

1.) How do you change UT2k4 to run in opengl instead of Directx. In the video options I only have two choices: Direct 3D, or software rendering.

2.) How do you roll back directx from 9 to 8? I'm also having trouble with other games now that I'm running directx 9.0b and I'm not too happy about it. How do I know direct x 9 is the problem? Before I installed UT2K4 computer no crash....after install UT2K4 (with directx 9, why do they include it if it's not required, include it in a patch if we need it in the future) computer crash everytime i play a game.

I'm not buying a brand new ****ing video card just because game developers want to use directx 9, i'll just chuck out PC gaming altogether and rely on consoles for games.__ ___________________________________

legacy-PsychoChihuahua
03-29-2004, 02:24 PM
It's in the ut2004.ini file. I don't have access to a box loaded with the game currently (to use as an example), but o fyou search for "opengl" you'll find the block.

Comment out the current rendering engine being used, and uncomment the opengl engine.

legacy-shielded
03-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by coldplasma
well the idea was that ut2004 was in a big demand because or delays etc so epic didn't really have the time to make the d3d9 dll as well so they released it without the D3D9 dll so they could possibly add it in a future patch :)

Don't count on that, they've gotten their sales and I really doubt they'll be adding anymore features to the game... maybe in the next unreal tournament - 2005?

legacy-shielded
03-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by coldplasma
OpenGL != D3D
OpenGL == Open source renderer

Can I have the source code? But please don't link me to mesa GL website because thats not the library that comes with microsoft windows or with latest graphics card drivers...