PDA

View Full Version : frame rate?

legacy-chrwil1973
02-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi!

I am tweaking the display options and want to find out how this affects the frame rate? Is there a way of displaying the frame rate? I know there is some kind of console but I haven't used it yet.

Never played Unreal before and just downloaded the UT2004 demo two days ago. Amazing!

legacy-FluxCap
02-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Hit the console key: tilde "~" and type: stat fps

This will display your current fps and average fps in the top right corner.

legacy-chrwil1973
02-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks!

legacy-DUDEY
02-18-2004, 02:20 PM
kwl ill try that! ty :D

legacy-Lord_Slayer
02-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Adding on to that. Is there anything you can type in the console to set your max fps? Most times the default frame rate is set lower ,but the faster computers can play with a highter frame rate. I know for games like RTCW and Et , this could be done.

legacy-chrwil1973
02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
I wish I had the problem of setting a maximum framerate!

Anyway, what type of FPS is favoured in PC games...20...40...60?

I'm getting 25 with most settings on normal, 800 x 600, 32 bit colour. My setup is...

Athlon XP2000+
XFX GeForce 2 64Mb
256 PC133 Ram

I'm guessing that 512 DDR Ram would improve performance a lot...

legacy-thelonecrouton
02-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Drop it to 16 bit colour - you wont notice the difference and your fps will be way better.

And yes, another 256 megs of ram will make a big difference too to your performance.

legacy-Lambdah
02-18-2004, 07:06 PM
well, as far as I know, there isn't a 'favoured' framerate in pc games. The bigger, the better. I assume you're an X-BOXer or something?

legacy-IGotARailgun
02-18-2004, 08:38 PM
25? Definitely get the extra 256. My FPS is normally 100, and I've seen faster. I also agree that the only dif changing to 16 bit will be improved FPS. Anyway, the faster the processor the better, and don't forget about video cards!

legacy-chrwil1973
02-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by Lambdah
well, as far as I know, there isn't a 'favoured' framerate in pc games. The bigger, the better. I assume you're an X-BOXer or something?

I was wondering after the previous question about setting a maximum framerate.

I haven't got an XBOX but I do have a Gamecube and a PS2. I got bored with consoles and am having lots of fun playing online with the PC.

I've set everything to the minimum and am now getting 30fps which plays fine. I'll upgrade my ram soon though. Get 512 ddr...

legacy-chrwil1973
02-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Just something for other UK based newbies, to get the console up you have to press ' and not ~

legacy-Lord_Slayer
02-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Well I own an xbox though I dont play it much. Im more of the online Pc gamer. For instance in the game of Return to Castle Wolfenstine or the follow up game Enemy Territory you could put this in your config file,

Seta Com_maxfps "125"

and if you had a fast enough computer you would play at this framerate. Currently playing Ut my framerate is at about a 60 average. Im thinking thats the default max frame rate. I was just wondering if it can be raised. I mean my game plays fine where its at , but like a earlier post said. The higher the framerate the better
When the full version comes out there will be sites that pop up telling people with slower Pcs, the things they can change to improve framerate. This goes way beyond just changing your colors to 16 bit. There is a cfg file. There will be things in that file that arent important to play the game. Some of those things will be able to be turned off or changed to improve framerate. An example would be seeing blood when your shooting someone.That takes away from your framerate. Im no expert on it, and like I said , it wont take long after the full version comes out for sites to pop up that address this. I was just hoping there was someone that may of figured it out already the way to increase max fps. :)

legacy-{S!N}Sloth
02-19-2004, 11:14 AM
well tv shows and movies are < 30 fps (exact is something like 29.97 for US). honestly you might be able to tell the difference at 40 or even 50 but anything more is probably unnoticeable to the naked eye... at any rate it won't effect your gameplay at all.

legacy-AndrewC
02-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Isn't the most the human eye can see about 60ish fps? I know when I play anything on the PC, i'm happy with anything 60 or higher..

legacy-.InSanE.
02-20-2004, 07:58 PM
26 True FPS is the most a human eye can see.

legacy-AndrewC
02-20-2004, 08:08 PM
how are we able to tell that games running at 60 fps are smoother than 30? At least i can.. heh =p

legacy-.InSanE.
02-20-2004, 08:37 PM
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm Read this, hehe :D

legacy-AndrewC
02-20-2004, 08:56 PM
NOW I get it... :)

legacy-Scottie167
02-20-2004, 09:38 PM
That was very infomative and at the same time confussing...but i now know that my tv flicks instead of a consistent flow of images

legacy-FR1DAY
02-21-2004, 04:24 AM
Actually tv ntsc runs at 25 fps and stnadard movies run at 29 imax movies run at 60 and hdtv also runs at this rate
Its a common mistake to assume the human eye cant notice any diff above 30. i personaly get headackes if my computer monitor refreshes at under 80 mhz 80 times per second.
simple test if you dont believe me switch your monitor to 60 mhz eww nasty that flicker you can see is the monitor refreshing the image 60 times a second now switch it to the highest setting see nice and sharp.
tv and movies use motion blurr to difuse the frame changes thats why you dont see the flicker. pc games while playing with this i.e GTA3 still dont have it down. and an adverage of 30 fps. is going to be around 10 to 15 fps under heavy stress i.e lots of fire on screen and close quaters combat it kinda feels like being stuck in mud . So if you wana play smooth and even try to get 60 fps or above adverage. or you will be at a disadvantage in a close combat situation. its hard to achive on most new pc's games as the company like to push the game to the max. but after a few months the pc's tend to catch up.
Also you will see a lot i mean a lot of information telling you to turn off vsync. dont do it. Okie you want really fast fps scores fine yeah it will do that. You want to play a better game leave it on by not totaly maxing out your cpu all the time when you do hit a frame heavy area you tend to bog a little down less as you have a buffer plus maintaing a constant frame rate leads to a more consistant game mouse tends to move across the screen at a constant rate rather than your FPS going constantly up and down up and down what use is hitting 120 fps if it drops to 30 only to spike to 120 again. try driving your car that way see witch is easyer to control constant or up and down up and down.

legacy-.InSanE.
02-21-2004, 08:55 AM
That is pretty much what was said on the site.

legacy-AndrewC
02-21-2004, 12:19 PM
My monitor's old.. it can only support 60hz.. :(

legacy-foam
02-21-2004, 12:52 PM
You can also download a program called FRAPS goto www.download.com and check it out...You can take still SS's or videos...also shows your FPS

legacy-Lord_Slayer
02-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Thats some interesting info on how many frames per second the eye can see. SO I will agree with the fact that after you reach a certain FPS You cannot notice any difference. But lets talk about 2 people in a game for instance. There at 30 paces from one another and ready to shoot one another. One persons game is running at 60 FPS and another persons game is running at 120 FPS. I assure you that the person whos game is running at 120 FPS will win the battle if they both shoot at one another at the exact time. So though you cant see the difference after a certain FPS you will be more deadly if your running a higher FPS then someone else.

legacy-papaschtroumpf
02-25-2004, 06:58 PM
huh? I don't buy it sorry! FPS and in-game speed aren't related. now maybe the guy with a higher FPS has slightly smoother graphics and can aim better, but I don't buy that at 60 vs 120

Anything faster than your monitor refresh rate is a waste, however make sure you look at *minimum* FPS. An average FPS of 60 may really be 25-100, so when it's 25 it feels uncomfortable.
Run a benchmark to get min/max avergar or you can also use a the free version of fraps

legacy-DarkFrost
02-25-2004, 07:04 PM
lmao, i get over 200 fps when i play :)

legacy-knives
02-25-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by FluxCap
Hit the console key: tilde "~" and type: stat fps

:confused: Since i am a newb to ut I don't understand how do you do this :cry:

legacy-DarkFrost
02-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by knives
:confused: Since i am a newb to ut I don't understand how do you do this :cry:

Ok, another way to do it, is if you press "T" to talk. it brings up a small command prompt, but it uses the command "say" to talk to the people in the game. So instead of letting this happen, press "T" and backspace all the way. then type "Stat fps" (without quotation) and press Enter.

legacy-knives
02-26-2004, 09:09 AM
thanks i will try that :D

legacy-knives
02-26-2004, 10:38 AM
weird i got a 220 average in 2K3 and an 80 average in 2k4 :weird: