PDA

View Full Version : how can i start games in High Priority mode?

legacy-PerfectNebula
11-05-2003, 05:32 PM
I wanna start ut in high prority mode but i dont wanna minimze it and then go to the task menu and set it. I wanan do it like editing the shortcut or soemthing. I know there was a way like making a batch file or something but i forgot

legacy-anarkist
11-05-2003, 05:34 PM
open in notepad, and type-

start /HIGH C:\Games\UT2003\System\UT2003.exe

or whatever your path is and save it as ut2003.bat somewhere, then change your shortcuts.

legacy-PerfectNebula
11-05-2003, 05:39 PM
is this a good thing to do or no?

legacy-Jermaine_X
11-05-2003, 05:40 PM
:D good thing to do :)

legacy-PerfectNebula
11-05-2003, 05:54 PM
now how come i made one uT it worked now im tryin to make on for call of duty multiplayer and it aint?

legacy-If you see kay
11-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by anarkist

or whatever your path is and save it as ut2003.bat somewhere, then change your shortcuts.
This works also
start /ABOVENORMAL Unreal2.exe
sames steps as above
except you want to save the bat in Unreal2\systems and then create a shortcut to it

:confused:

legacy-undrtakr
11-05-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by anarkist

Does this only work with WIn Xp/2000? Cause I have ME, and I think I read from another post that you can only do it with XP/2000.

I'll try it again and see.

legacy-knowley
11-05-2003, 09:48 PM
no to ME :down:

edit: errrr I think... never dared use ME tbh

legacy-ast27
11-06-2003, 02:11 AM
When I did this with UT2003 on my 2GHz, 768MB of ram and a 9700Pro system, if some sort of pop up or window caused my UT to minimize, my system would hang, often needing a reboot.

Just so you know.

legacy-knowley
11-06-2003, 06:14 AM
yep that'll happen, cause your telling the PC to spend most time working on UT, so when u alt tab you have to wait n wait n wait for ut to free up a second of cpu time to get the desktop going.

Don't min. the window if u have increased the priority.

legacy-Kabhal
11-06-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by ast27
When I did this with UT2003 on my 2GHz, 768MB of ram and a 9700Pro system, if some sort of pop up or window caused my UT to minimize, my system would hang, often needing a reboot.

Just so you know. The whole point of loading UT2003 HIGH is so that 100% of your cpu is focused on running the game. This usually makes the game run alot faster and you will generally see a very big increase in fps as well. However, only do this if you plan on staying in the game the whole time until you exit! <==This means you should turn off any other running programs that might pop-up a window at random or whatever and also... If, while you are playing, you want to chat with your friends on ICQ or read the forums, or look at pr0n :D then you shouldn't load the game with high priority as it will just slow multitasking down to a crawl and/or your system may crash, hard. :)

legacy-Packet Ło§§˛
11-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Kabhal
The whole point of loading UT2003 HIGH is so that 100% of your cpu is focused on running the game. This usually makes the game run alot faster and you will generally see a very big increase in fps as well. However, only do this if you plan on staying in the game the whole time until you exit! <==This means you should turn off any other running programs that might pop-up a window at random or whatever and also... If, while you are playing, you want to chat with your friends on ICQ or read the forums, or look at pr0n :D then you shouldn't load the game with high priority as it will just slow multitasking down to a crawl and/or your system may crash, hard. :)

I should write this down somewhere :confused:

legacy-Sailor_Saturn
11-06-2003, 06:56 AM
I tried this, yeah., performance sucks, what I would do is create another user account (xp) just for ut, and in that user account disable just about everything you dont and wont need, and only run ut with it, if you want to look at forums or something you xit game and switch accounts. I got like 3 accounts setup based on what i need to do, one is for optomum windows performance, only thing that runs at startup is anticirus, and then theres my normal account (this one) where i have, winamp, mirc, trillian, teamspeak, and about 5 other programs run at startup so i can do everything and be everywhere all the time, and i run fine when playing 2k3, tho sometimes my game will lag out for few seconds when winamp changes tracks. right now i have 70megs of free memory and im doing just about nothing, listening to some music, teamspeak is dissconected, and i have task manager open and one window of ie for this. Then again, i havnt restarted in 3 days, and alsoim using 266megs of pf, 38 processes running. My specs are 2.0ghz 256ram, gf4 mx 440, i run at lowest details on 640x480 for fullscreen, and normal/highest details for windowed mode. ANyways, setting up accounts based on what you intend to do in your windows session can be usefull. A do all, best unreal performance, best windows performance, and diognostic acount could be good. Just last night a cursor i was working on, when i loaded it, windows didnt like it and it froze up my mouse and i couldnt do anything so i manually rebooted and logged into diognostic account to fix it, and it said the cursor scheme was currupted so i deleted it and the bad source file., went back to my account and im running fine, no safe mode needed. Bah, shut up Saturn.

legacy-Zyngath
11-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Kabhal
The whole point of loading UT2003 HIGH is so that 100% of your cpu is focused on running the game. This usually makes the game run alot faster and you will generally see a very big increase in fps as well.

Thats not true. Only if you have lots of programs running already when you start UT you will gain a reasonable increase in peformance. If there's no other process demanding CPU time, UT will have 100% of you CPU no matter if you run with high priority or not.
Running with high priority will make your system pretty unstable tho. If your firewall or av program does something while another process is running at high priority, a system crash is much more likely to happen compared to a system where the OS controls the process priority.
If you want to have the best possible performance, then end all unneccessary processes before you start UT. Then you wont need to take the risk and run at a higher priority.