PDA

View Full Version : Deathball 1.9 released

legacy-Rens2sea
11-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Major Changes: (Check versions log for detailed info)
Deathball:
-No more "broomstick" move and "hovervolley" possible (as people call them).
-Replays of goals shown (after goal and all goals again after match)
-Deathball Voicepack added
-LOTS of other small fixes and changes

Tennis:
-Real Tennis scoring
-Tourney Mode, lots of players on server, only 2 playing, rest in line waiting for their turn to play.

Warfare Beta 0.5:
-Initial release; a turn based shooter inspired by "Worms"

www.deathball.net (http://www.deathball.net)

http://www.deathball.net/images/m00.jpg

legacy-NtaC-JoKeR
11-01-2003, 09:24 AM
AW RIGHT

VERSION 1.euro!

legacy-shawneboy
11-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Don't bother downloading this. I believe the community will be sticking with 1.8 since this version makes db boring. Just a heads up.

legacy-Spin
11-01-2003, 11:16 AM
I think I'll download it and make my own mind up thanks ;)

legacy-GMZeroX
11-01-2003, 11:30 AM
All these updates and still no bot support.

legacy-anarkist
11-01-2003, 02:55 PM
even though it has bot support...

legacy-JaFO(JBE)
11-01-2003, 03:47 PM
What ? The bots work as keepers ?
They don't run off after the ball at any opportunity they get ?
They pass the ball when asked ?
They actually listen to the commands in the voicepack ?

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
11-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
What ? The bots work as keepers ?
They pass the ball when asked ?

Sort of.

Kyllian
11-01-2003, 04:42 PM
About the only thing that remotely catches my interest is Warfare

legacy-Ph0b0s
11-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Great mod :D :up:
Original and well done. :cool:

legacy-*Holy_Surfing*
11-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by shawneboy
Don't bother downloading this. I believe the community will be sticking with 1.8 since this version makes db boring. Just a heads up.

n00b :)

db1.9 > db1.8

legacy-GMZeroX
11-02-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by anarkist
even though it has bot support... Someone shoots the ball into your goal and your keeper bot jumps completely out of it's way. If the goalie somehow manages to accidentally catch the ball, you might as well run to the center of the field because the ball's going to be reset since the goalie bot will refuse to shoot it. Play a game of one-on-one against a friend with bots for teammates, and 75% of the time, they stand there and don't bother to move, regardless of how many orders you give them. In the odd occasion you do get a bot to work, he plays only until someone scores and then he falls back into a coma.

Yeah ... don't give me crap about Deathball having bot support. It even says in the modification that bot support is incomplete. Don't get me wrong. I think Deathball kicks all sorts of ass ... I just wish it's developers would take a moment to finish one of it's most important aspects.

legacy-Bazzi
11-02-2003, 07:55 AM
It would take a dedicated Coder and at least 6 months to have playable bot support.

No kidding.

Bastian "Bazzi" Grupe
TeamVortex

fuegerstef
11-02-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by GMZeroX
I just wish it's developers would take a moment to finish one of it's most important aspects.

They are too busy bashing and flaming all the other mods out there, so there is no time for them to consentrate on that.

legacy-GMZeroX
11-02-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Bazzi
It would take a dedicated Coder and at least 6 months to have playable bot support.

No kidding.

Bastian "Bazzi" Grupe
TeamVortex So get on it.

You guys have dedicated a lot of time to make Deathball great, so why not finish the job? Six months is nothing when compared to how many years Deathball will be around, especially if there are plans to port it to UT2K4, etc.

legacy-Bazzi
11-02-2003, 01:25 PM
There is no need to port it to UT2k4 since it is compatible anyways...

...plus find a coder willing to do the bots :/

And surely Botplay isn't one of the key aspects, will never be as much fun as clanplay.

Bastian "Bazzi" Grupe
TeamVortex

legacy-GMZeroX
11-03-2003, 01:20 AM
There is no need to port it to UT2k4 since it is compatible anyways...

...plus find a coder willing to do the bots :/

And surely Botplay isn't one of the key aspects, will never be as much fun as clanplay.

Bastian "Bazzi" Grupe
TeamVortex Please stop making excuses as to why you guys won't ever complete the botplay. I could spend all day countering your reasons, and you'll just think of new ones. It gets old.

In Deathball's menus, it says that bot compatibility is currently incomplete. It doesn't say, "We need a dedicated coder." It doesn't say, "Bots aren't as fun as netplay." It simply says that botplay is incomplete. So, complete it.

Unreal Tournament 2003 is not an online-only game. Nor do some people like to start up a Deathball server and run around playing by themselves without bots until three people decide to join the game. If you don't plan to complete the bot coding necessary to make this mod complete, then you should not have started it to begin with.

This is my opinion. Flame me for it if you wish. I expect you're going to anyway.

legacy-Bazzi
11-03-2003, 03:02 AM
You don't need to start a server and hope for people to join, there are some public servers online you can join in.

legacy-GMZeroX
11-03-2003, 04:27 AM
You don't need to start a server and hope for people to join, there are some public servers online you can join in. Another excuse not to create bot compatibility. I'll add that one to the list.

Not everyone wants to join a public server. Some of us would like to play on a private server with one or two friends. Please stop assuming everybody plays the exact same game in the exact same way.

legacy-Rens2sea
11-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Another excuse not to create bot compatibility. I'll add that one to the list.

Do you have ANY idea how ****ing hard it is to code bots for db? I know, i'm a coder. Are you? NO, so please stfu about it and go back to the hole you came from...:down:

kthx

legacy-GMZeroX
11-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Rens2sea
Do you have ANY idea how ****ing hard it is to code bots for db? I know, i'm a coder. Are you? NO, so please stfu about it and go back to the hole you came from...:down:

kthx I'll ignore the fact that you use abbreviates like stfu and kthx, and pretend that you have a fully-functional brain for a moment so I can respond to your pitiful excuse for a post.

I don't give a rat's ass how hard it is to code bots for Deathball, and quite frankly, it's not my job to know. I do know, however, that if I am unable to code bots for a modification of this calibur, I am not going to begin production on it in the first place.

One of the major problems with the development community is that too many people start projects that they never intend to finish, and there ends up being a ton of beta crap out there as a result. Deathball is one of them. Instead of working on this new joke of a game type you call "Unreal Tennis," how about finishing Deathball first and getting bot support taken care of? It has the potential to be a far more popular game type than it already is ... but not without bot support.

legacy-Bazzi
11-03-2003, 09:59 AM
If you don't want beta crap like DB, buy games like UT2003/4 or others. Ooooooh, wait, what was about UT2003 and beta? :bulb:

Seriously, you can't realize everything you want to do. And Tennis, for example, was a 3rd party contribution at first which has been added to DeathBall later on, why not?

legacy-GMZeroX
11-03-2003, 12:21 PM
If you don't want beta crap like DB, buy games like UT2003/4 or others. Ooooooh, wait, what was about UT2003 and beta? :bulb:

Seriously, you can't realize everything you want to do. And Tennis, for example, was a 3rd party contribution at first which has been added to DeathBall later on, why not? Your first sentence didn't make sense. I'm not trying to sound mean by saying this, but it really doesn't make sense ...

Anyway, Deathball is a sweet idea for a game type. Tennis, on the other hand, isn't as good. My only two complains about Tennis are that you should finish the bot pathing on Deathball first, and you should not include Tennis in the Deathball UMOD, but make it a separate file instead. (It sort of annoyed me that Tennis showed up in my game types list after installing Deathball.)

That's just my opinion, though.

legacy-°$ärgê°
11-03-2003, 02:09 PM
:( :( :sour: :sour:

i really wanna try this mod since ive heard alot about it...downloaded it, installed, and every time i try an online game i get "version mismatch"...some help pls? :confused: :sour: :(

legacy-Bazzi
11-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Your first sentence didn't make sense. I'm not trying to sound mean by saying this, but it really doesn't make sense ...

Anyway, Deathball is a sweet idea for a game type. Tennis, on the other hand, isn't as good. My only two complains about Tennis are that you should finish the bot pathing on Deathball first, and you should not include Tennis in the Deathball UMOD, but make it a separate file instead. (It sort of annoyed me that Tennis showed up in my game types list after installing Deathball.)

That's just my opinion, though.

I just wanted to point out, that when you want to retail quality instead of beta quality, go buy some retail games. Simple as that.

If you dont like Tennis, just remove tennis.int from your \System folder and it won't show up anymore, Mr. Smart Guy.

Plus we dont have a UMOD :D

legacy-Bazzi
11-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by °$ärgê°
:( :( :sour: :sour:

i really wanna try this mod since ive heard alot about it...downloaded it, installed, and every time i try an online game i get "version mismatch"...some help pls? :confused: :sour: :(

Most servers weren't upgraded by then. Look for the GS.net 1.9 and any server which has "1.9 final" in the servername.

If youe still got problems drop by IRC, irc.quakenet.org #deathball we will help you there, then.

legacy-GMZeroX
11-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I just wanted to point out, that when you want to retail quality instead of beta quality, go buy some retail games. Simple as that. If you have no intention of assuring the best quality you can deliver into your projects, then you have absolutely no business developing mods for computer games. Simple as that.

If you dont like Tennis, just remove tennis.int from your \System folder and it won't show up anymore, Mr. Smart Guy. That logic doesn't work.

"You can buy this brand new car, but don't mind the leaking corpse lying in the back seat. After you bring the car home, you can always throw the corpse in the trash."

Deathball and the joke you call Unreal Tennis are two completely different things, so don't force people to install the beta onto their machines using the excuse that they can delete it after it's been installed.

Plus we dont have a UMOD :D Executable. Sorry.

legacy-FizzyB
11-05-2003, 07:29 PM
I'm lead designer of Deathball Tennis and i must say im quite offended. can you tell me what about it you hate so much exactly? I find people who have trouble playing it often dont like it, well tennis isnt so much fun if you hit the net all the time eh? DB-Tennis is intended for deathball veterans. and as you seem to dislike pub games i assume you're not.

As for botplay, this isnt a case of bot follow path, bot see you, bot chase you, bot shoot you. You'll find on deathball pubs that deathball doesnt play like say the latest fifa game, it plays like a REAL sport and as such the options open to you at any time are huge. To develop bots that play deathball in an effective way, including defensive and offensive stratergy would be in my opinoin some of the most impressive AI ive ever seen in a recent shooter...and you expect a single coder to do this?

Im pretty offended at your comments on tennis, this is your personal opinoin and i think describing tennis in such a way is pretty rude. Like i say learn to play. if you can even play to the slightest degree and still say it sucks then ill respect your opinoin.

legacy-GMZeroX
11-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by FizzyB
I'm lead designer of Deathball Tennis and i must say im quite offended. can you tell me what about it you hate so much exactly? I find people who have trouble playing it often dont like it, well tennis isnt so much fun if you hit the net all the time eh? DB-Tennis is intended for deathball veterans. and as you seem to dislike pub games i assume you're not.

As for botplay, this isnt a case of bot follow path, bot see you, bot chase you, bot shoot you. You'll find on deathball pubs that deathball doesnt play like say the latest fifa game, it plays like a REAL sport and as such the options open to you at any time are huge. To develop bots that play deathball in an effective way, including defensive and offensive stratergy would be in my opinoin some of the most impressive AI ive ever seen in a recent shooter...and you expect a single coder to do this?

Im pretty offended at your comments on tennis, this is your personal opinoin and i think describing tennis in such a way is pretty rude. Like i say learn to play. if you can even play to the slightest degree and still say it sucks then ill respect your opinoin. Regarding Tennis - I don't recall saying anything about the gameplay in Tennis. There is nothing wrong with people wanting to play Tennis in Unreal Tournament 2003. However, I, personally, find it to be an extremely silly idea for a game type and I've no desire to play it. Yet, I can't install Deathball without having Tennis installed as well. That, my dear developer, is my problem with Tennis.

And for the record, if you're going to get offended everytime someone doesn't like one of your mods, you're in for a world of disappointment.

Regarding Deathball - For the record, the bots are already capable of playing Deathball. They've proven it by actually posing a challenge from time-to-time. It's just that there are a few minor glitches that need to be resolved. In fact, I will name them right here for you.

1. Bots occasionally just stop and refuse to move anywhere. I don't think it would be hard to at least make them chase the ball, so they end up on some sort of active strategy path instead of just standing around staring at each other. They know how to shoot the ball already once they've intercepted it, so that's not a problem.

2. How about having the goalies attempt to actually catch the ball instead of leaping out of the way?

3. Once the goalie catches the ball, have him shoot the damn thing somewhere.

These three issues would basically complete botplay as far as I am concerned, and I don't believe they would take six months to implement.

legacy-FizzyB
11-05-2003, 08:00 PM
db bots challenging..lol now i can laugh at you.

and theres a difference between not liking and calling it a joke :)

so you've knocked the mod this much and havnt even played it :) i can disregard your opinoin then. Cya enjoy being pwnd by the bots..lmao

legacy-FizzyB
11-05-2003, 08:02 PM
oh and tennis is a gametype for the mod, and i wouldnt expect the developers of any game or mod to take out a single gametype just because i dont like it. You're rude and you're a fool and you appear to have a disregard for the work of others that's offered to you to play. I tell you what if you dont like tennis why not download deathball at all i'd luv the assurance that you will never enter our community

legacy-GMZeroX
11-05-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by FizzyB
oh and tennis is a gametype for the mod, and i wouldnt expect the developers of any game or mod to take out a single gametype just because i dont like it. You're rude and you're a fool and you appear to have a disregard for the work of others that's offered to you to play. I tell you what if you dont like tennis why not download deathball at all i'd luv the assurance that you will never enter our community Oh no! Someone doesn't like your ****ty Tennis "game type." Cry me a river, man.

legacy-Bazzi
11-06-2003, 02:54 AM
I feel sorry to have you made download 4MB more for Tennis, mate.

legacy-GMZeroX
11-06-2003, 04:13 AM
I feel sorry that you guys are being such babies about this.

I posted saying that Deathball kicks ass and that I don't like Tennis - an opinion that I am very well entitled to have, whether you guys like it or not. If you're going to call me names because I didn't buy Unreal Tournament 2003 to whack a ball over a net, I assure you that I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I'd also like to point out that I have even attempted to share with you the three problems regarding Deathball botplay. They don't seem like troublesome coding issues that would take 6 months of someone's dedicated time to resolve.

legacy-Bazzi
11-06-2003, 08:44 AM
get a clue :cool:

legacy-GMZeroX
11-06-2003, 11:16 AM
get a clue :cool: I've already gotten the clue. You have no respect for the people who play your mod, and you don't care if someone tries to help contribute information in regard to fixing the botplay.

Please, don't make anymore mods.

legacy-FizzyB
11-06-2003, 01:31 PM
you have no idea about coding, no idea about the mod scene, no respect and obviously no idea about playing db. so..i agree with bazzi.

and yes im sure you can fix bots in 3 steps mr uber pro

legacy-Bazzi
11-06-2003, 01:47 PM
GMZeroX: OK, we'll stop making mods sometime in the future, until then, you can play our ones if you like, or don't play it if you dont like.

legacy-froste
11-06-2003, 02:00 PM
I posted saying that Deathball kicks ass and that I don't like Tennis - an opinion that I am very well entitled to have, whether you guys like it or not.

i am of the same opinion

legacy-!Wicked DUDE!
11-06-2003, 03:30 PM
I feel sorry that you guys are being such babies about this.

I posted saying that Deathball kicks ass and that I don't like Tennis - an opinion that I am very well entitled to have, whether you guys like it or not. If you're going to call me names because I didn't buy Unreal Tournament 2003 to whack a ball over a net, I assure you that I won't be losing any sleep over it.

I'd also like to point out that I have even attempted to share with you the three problems regarding Deathball botplay. They don't seem like troublesome coding issues that would take 6 months of someone's dedicated time to resolve.

if you can do better than them i would like to see you try ^^

btw dont comment on something you have no idiea about :X

d!ck head

legacy-Bazzi
11-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by froste
i am of the same opinion

Nothing wrong with that opinion, but that shouldn't force us to not include tennis in DB releases...

legacy-Greyhawk
11-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Wow! People getting angry over a totally free download :confused:

I love the internet :D

legacy-GMZeroX
11-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Granted, I don't code. But I offer three ideas that I think would significantly improve botplay. Mister Deathball himself takes out his pacifier and cries like a baby.

I say that I don't like tennis. The tennis developer takes out his pacifier and cries like a baby.

You guys can go ahead and call me all the names you like. The fact of the matter is you're acting like crybabies because someone openly voiced that Unreal tennis is silly ... and then asked for improved botplay in the one game type you have that doesn't suck.

legacy-Shogun6996
11-06-2003, 06:11 PM
tennis pwns all of you

that is all

legacy-[TV]DavidM
11-06-2003, 06:53 PM
please dont judge me by the rest of my team's comments here, I don't agree with most of it....
whatever :/

legacy-GMZeroX
11-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by [TV]DavidM
please dont judge me by the rest of my team's comments here, I don't agree with most of it....
whatever :/ Thank you for the reassurance that not the entire team acts like this.

I'll apologize for getting worked up over this, as I tend to have a bad habit of getting defensive very quickly. I'll refrain from attacking the rest of your team, but I would at least like to say that I honestly would like to see those three changes implemented into the Deathball botplay.

I'd also like to see Tennis turned into a separate download, because a friend of mine has just informed me that he actually likes that mod, but agrees that it shouldn't be an additional game type installed alongside Deathball.

I realize it is your judgment call to do as you see fit with your own mod, and I've no right to expect anything of any of you. However, I think your teammates need to find a new way to approach the fact that some people won't like their decisions.

legacy-froste
11-06-2003, 08:35 PM
People tend to get worked up when other comment on their work, some more than others.

What the better developers realise is that, feedback is good and they should take it onboard, lambasting someone who downloaded and plays their mod for giving their point of view isnt helping anyone.

I hope your suggestions are taken on board, like you i would like to see db continually improved.

legacy-[TV]DavidM
11-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Due to the minor size of Tennis it's not really worth releasing a seperate DB version without it.

As for botplay...I'm trying, but you don't get a bot coder that easily.
I am hoping for a good contest result, so it might be easiert to get good people on team.

legacy-Rens2sea
11-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Making bots for db work is like teaching retards to play chess, even if you succeed, they are still retarted...

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
11-07-2003, 08:25 AM
http://www.apam88.dsl.pipex.com/files/smilies/fck.gif

legacy-Bazzi
11-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Well said Rens :cool:

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
11-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Word.
Making fun of the mentally handicapped pwns. :up:

legacy-jixor
11-10-2003, 10:45 AM
I have to say I quite like DB and generally don't mind having a little bot game now and then, but It would be nice to just add/tweak a couple of relatively simple functions to the ai.

For example, to at least work out why the goal keeper leaps out of the way of the ball. At least hack out what may cause this behaviour, and maybe code it so there is a chance they will randomly be standing in the path of the ball.

I wouldn't worry about perfecting the ai, but it would be nice to have a slightly more playable game with bots.

It would also be nice if board users were not so nasty. It is totally unnecessary to hurl abuse at other users and usually will make any real point you have directed at another user somewhat less effective. I mean what is the point in developing a good argument when you just fill in the gaps with abuse, arrogant comments, personal judgments, etc?

legacy-M4H0N3Y
11-10-2003, 12:54 PM
where can i get the tennis separately? i tryed deathball in the past and got bored with it, i would like to try this tennis but i dont want to download db

legacy-Zyz
11-10-2003, 01:48 PM
You guys sure are demanding of people providing a free game...

legacy-MikeSobe
11-10-2003, 07:11 PM
How's the worm based game. ATM I cannot install UT2003.:sour:

legacy-Drag00n
11-11-2003, 09:05 PM
It’s kind of cool... Um how do I uninstall death ball without manually searching for each individual file.

legacy-NtaC-JoKeR
11-12-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Rens2sea
Making bots for db work is like teaching retards to play chess, even if you succeed, they are still retarted...

lol...same is with a lot of newbs in db

legacy-Drag00n
11-12-2003, 04:59 PM
mods that come as install exe's that don't include uninstall exe's are eeevill eeeevil! :mad: