PDA

View Full Version : Particle damage

legacy-Doc_EDo
09-02-2003, 08:29 AM
Can particles in xEmitter be set up to damage players?

legacy-inio
09-03-2003, 03:26 AM
No. It's just a fact. Were the particle code to call an UnrealScript function every time a particle collided with something it would be so ridiculously slow that nobody would use it. So rather than implementing a feature that nobody would use they just didn't and spent the time they saved coming up with new and unusual ways to get even more polygons on the screen.

Sir_Brizz
09-03-2003, 03:42 AM
that's not to say you couldn't code for it when it collided with a certain actor type, such as Pawn. Although you may go into it more coding than it's worth. The problem you would have is that you would actually have to extend the emitter (im guessing) and then tell it what to do. As it stand now post #2 is accurate.

legacy-inio
09-03-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
The problem you would have is that you would actually have to extend the emitter (im guessing) and then tell it what to do.The real problem is that the emitter is native code, and therefore it's behavior can't be altered from UnrealScript.

The best way to do this is probably to have some class that spawns objects in a predicable way (like has it's own random number generator). With a little careful replication work you could get this behaving properly over a network with no client-side lag on object (particle) appearance, and minimal bandwidth overhead. It would have a significant processing overhead though - you wouldn't want more than one or two dozen live at any one moment.

Sir_Brizz
09-03-2003, 10:43 AM
eugh...i forgot that was native code...

needless to say you COULD get something working, but you probably would be unhappy with the end result and have wasted all that time... :)

legacy-MeanFish
09-03-2003, 07:32 PM
What you might consider is creating a volume that coincides with the area covered by the particles you're referring to, and take off x amount of life for every x number of ticks your in the volume. easy to process, and a very similar effect. That is, if this is what you were going for.

legacy-inio
09-03-2003, 09:37 PM
Yeah, you could even randomize the delay a bit to make it seem more like random particles hitting you. That only works if you have high enough particle density though.

legacy-Doc_EDo
09-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by MeanFish
What you might consider is creating a volume that coincides with the area covered by the particles you're referring to, and take off x amount of life for every x number of ticks your in the volume. easy to process, and a very similar effect. That is, if this is what you were going for.
Volume? That's tatic.
How am I supposed to make the dynamicaly spawned particles collide then?

The only way I came up with is to spawn invisibile actors that have same speed and fly path as particles. This way I could maybe simulate particle collision....:o

legacy-inio
09-04-2003, 02:10 PM
No, there's really two primary options here:

1. if you particle density is low enough (no more than a few dozen particles live at a time), don't use particles. Instead use some sort of random-but-predictable spawning method to spawn actors with the same location/velocity on the client and server at the same time.

2. If the particle densities are higher than that, use a regular particle system, and in the same location as the particles are flying place a custom physics volume. Have the code of this volume use a random timer to damage players inside the volume. The damage won't match up with particle collisions, but nobody will be able to tell.

legacy-Doc_EDo
09-04-2003, 04:05 PM
The second one sounds like a good idea but i have
a 3rd one:
Put timer() in xEmitter and with a bigger collision damage anyone in its radius.

Sir_Brizz
09-05-2003, 03:58 AM
Doesn't that create a potential for massive slowdowns?? Meaning if there are 12 emitters in the level and you have your timer running at .5 second intervals on each of them that is alot of calculation per second...let alone if there is more than 12 emiters (i wouldn't know in what case though)....

legacy-Doc_EDo
09-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Those xEmitters are supposed to last only a few seconds, and not be many arround.

Sir_Brizz
09-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Isn't the effect on the inside of the bombing run goals an xEmitter?

legacy-Doc_EDo
09-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Yes. Your point?

Xyx
02-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Whoa, 2.5 year bumpage! :eek:

EDIT: Har, har, deleting your post... :rolleyes:

legacy-pcmods
02-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Mahalis, what are you thinking, were you bored or something browsing threads so old. :alien:

legacy-CMan
02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
I lol'd

legacy-Mahalis
02-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Eheh. Sorry about that... I have no idea how I found this but I totally didn't notice the dates. :p

EDIT: Har, har, deleting your post...
Well, if everyone else will do the same, this topic can go back to where it was.

legacy-FatalOverdose
03-03-2006, 04:39 PM
who says it cant be done anyway...? lol :p
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/SFX_Painful

Radiosity
03-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Quite a handy post revival actually, because someone has indeed got something like this working.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/SFX_Painful