PDA

View Full Version : Descriptions of UT2004's Assault and Onslaught Game Types

Pages : [1] 2

Mark Rein
07-24-2003, 11:04 AM
ASSAULT

Assault is an objective/team based game mode in which two teams (attackers and defenders) battle each other in epic (and sometimes historical) battles taking place in the Unreal universe.
Attackers have several objectives to accomplish in order to win the round.

Defenders must prevent the attackers from doing so in order to win. Several rounds are played and teams can exchange
roles after each round. There are several configurable options, such as the number of rounds in a match, and the time limit for each round.

Accomplishing objectives may involve reaching a key location, using machinery or computers in the level, or destroying a critical piece of hardware.

Assault also features many different useable vehicles and turrets, including Space Fighters, Buggies, Tanks, Energy Turrets, a Minigun Turret and the all powerful Ion Cannon.

ONSLAUGHT

Onslaught is a large scale, team and vehicle based game mode in which players battle for control of huge exterior settings. Since these settings are so large one naturally needs a way to traverse these distances, hence there are a variety of vehicles that can be used in Onslaught. These vehicles are built to not only move but also destroy your foes.

Each team has their own vehicles and you cannot steal your foes vehicles unless they unlock them by first getting into them. If your enemy jumps into a tank and then leaps out to pick up ammo you can then hijack it and turn the tables on him!

The main objective in any Onslaught game is to destroy your enemies' "Power Core." This critical point is usually located in the heart of your opponent's base. Sounds simple, right? Here's the catch - a Power Core cannot be damaged unless your team has a link to it.

How do you acquire a link? By controlling the smaller "Power Nodes" on the map and making a connection from your own Power Core to your opponents. Power Nodes begin as neutral points in the level and once they're touched they begin to build for your team. At this point the opposing team can attack and try to destroy the Node as it is being constructed. If they manage to destroy it it will go neutral again and can be re-claimed by either team. If they fail to destroy it the Node will be built for your own team and a link will be made to your own Power Core.

The next step in an Onslaught map involves proceeding to the next Node. Since the enemies Power Core can only be damaged if there is a link to your own Core you'll have to take over a number of Nodes in order to make this connection. It is extremely important to note that you can ONLY take over a Node if you control an adjacent Node. You must progress across the map, taking over point by point, in order to stage an assault on your enemies' Core.

Since death comes quick in the Tournament it is also good to know that once your team controls a Node you can then choose to respawn at it. This allows a team to have an advancing presence on any given map.

legacy-DeathGoblinX
07-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Awesome thanks for explaining them to us...:D

:up:

legacy-Shuri
07-24-2003, 11:09 AM
:up: :up:

Onslaught sounds like it will make for very long games.

legacy-Scoshi_Tiger
07-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Cheers Mark.

Onslaught sounds as good as 12,000 dollars and a night in a brothel :up:

legacy-Mort_Q
07-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Many thanks Mark... I think this deserves a sticky !?

Originally posted by Shuri

Sounds like fun though!!

legacy-Mofassa
07-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Onslaught sounds amazing..seems like it'll create damn good matches for clans

*u should sticky this thread*

legacy-Jion
07-24-2003, 11:26 AM
... sounds like bf1942 in the UT universe

legacy-DeRailer
07-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Onslaught sounds like BF1942's conquest with a destroyable base, not that it's a bad thing.

legacy-Satch
07-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Sounds cool :up:

Thanks for the info.

legacy-ErecT
07-24-2003, 11:31 AM
:cry: @ veichles..
Thats not Unreal ffs! Thats tribes or sum.. ;) But I guess it will be cool and fun to play once in a while.
Most of all it will sell some lots of copies :)

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-24-2003, 11:37 AM
Hey Mark, small request. Can you guys maybe change Onslaught to something else, so that it's not exactly the same as the mod I've been working so hard on? :sour:

legacy-Radeon285
07-24-2003, 11:39 AM
hmm, from the sounds of Onslaught the battles will take forever, I mean.... it sounds almost too hard to do, with aircraft, tanks and everything else its gonna be near impossible to control everynode and link up........... IMO. We will see tho.....

Assault sounds like alot of fun, cant wait to check out the Skaarj and Robot Factory levels :D :up:

legacy-uTaBenoit
07-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the update.:up: :)

legacy-JohnDoe641
07-24-2003, 11:41 AM
I'd really like to play assault again, and this Onslaught game type sounds like it will bring a unique type of team based gameplay to the Unreal universe.

I can't wait to play both gametypes. :):up:

legacy-Jion
07-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Radeon285
hmm, from the sounds of Onslaught the battles will take forever, I mean.... it sounds almost too hard to do, with aircraft, tanks and everything else its gonna be near impossible to control everynode and link up........... IMO. We will see tho.....

I agree. I suggest that the Power Nodes on a map be constructed in a "rock-paper-scissors" fashion, so that if node A is taken, there is a counter-node to take that, and so forth, coming together in a complete cycle. This could be done with weapon placements and the geography of the map. I wouldn't want to see this on all the maps, but maybe a few of them. Feel free to comment.

legacy-uTaBenoit
07-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Maybe I missed this...BUT once a power node is completely built, can you destroy it? or do you have to stop the construction in descending order of the other node, then attack that one? I don't understand.:p :confused:

legacy-Mort_Q
07-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by uTaBenoit
Maybe I missed this...BUT once a power node is completely built, can you destroy it? or do you have to stop the construction in descending order of the other node, then attack that one? I don't understand.:p :confused:

Good question. I would suspect that it would be indestructable once it is controlled, else there would be a too long supply line to protect. If all the other team had to do was destroy the inner-most node, then the games would last forever...

... unless the nodes health go exponentially higher as more nodes were connected to it...

Interesting...

Mark !?

-=¤willhaven¤=-
07-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by DeRailer
Onslaught sounds like BF1942's conquest with a destroyable base, not that it's a bad thing.

the fact that you have to take them in a certian "order" is vastly different too.

keeps the battles unified because only some parts of the maps are valid at any one time

i can just see teams racing across the map in the beginning getting nodes and fighting over the central nodes to progress... thats where it gets messy :)

legacy-uTaBenoit
07-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Well that's why I thought maybe you had to destroy the nodes in descending order..otherwise the inner node would be too easy and make the game ...crap.:D

Make this a sticky already.

legacy-191
07-24-2003, 12:37 PM
Thanks for explaining this to us. It is really nice to get some official feedback from the Epic people. Onslaught sounds really cool, and i hope it wil really take some looooong battles to win. And we al know assault will rule ! :up:

legacy-Happy_Hamburger
07-24-2003, 12:39 PM
hey mark

will onslaught have the translocator enabled by default

sounds good btw!

legacy-DeRailer
07-24-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Happy_Hamburger
hey mark

will onslaught have the translocator enabled by default

sounds good btw!

I hope not, I don't like the idea of translocating half mile cross the field and wait for it to recharge. :D

On the more serious note: Xloc = bad for all capture and hold system.

Mark Rein
07-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Answers (to the best of my knowledge):

uTaBenoit--> Yes you need to destroy nodes in order. For example to get from your base to the opponent's base you need to capture a line of nodes from your base to theirs. But nodes aren't necessarily in a straight line, the node maps look more like simple spider webs where, on the larger maps, they might be multiple routes between your base and the opponent's base.

191--> Yes Onslaught can turn into some intense and drawn out battles but they're so much fun to play! Good teamwork is really critical to getting across the map. It's no good to jump in as single spy and turn over a node to your side and then three guys in tanks blast you to hell and reset the node to their side a minute later. You really want to coordinate your attacks (or defenses).

Voice over IP is really valuable for gametypes like Onslaught and Assault. The cool thing about VOIP is that even if people don't have mics they can still hear their teammate's so if you appoint one person to the role of coordinator or to be a spy he/she can give instant feedback, even in the heat of battle where taking your fingers off the ASWD keys can be suicide, to those who don't have a mic.

In addition we're currently testing a voice command feature. You can use to give bot orders by speaking into your microphone. For example you could say "Charlie Cover Me" or "Alpha Defend the Base" and it's like you keyed in the voice commands! The speed recognition is very good and mod makers will be easily able to extend this functionality.

Happy_Hamburger--> No. At the moment the TL is not used in Onslaught at all.

legacy-191
07-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Unreal Tournament 2004 sounds better every day :up:

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Mark Rein

In addition we're currently testing a voice command feature. You can use to give bot orders by speaking into your microphone. For example you could say "Charlie Cover Me" or "Alpha Defend the Base" and it's like you keyed in the voice commands! The speed recognition is very good and mod makers will be easily able to extend this functionality.

I hope this technology has progressed in the past few years. Last time I used it, it was finnicky as hell and only recognized about 50% of what I spoke to it.

legacy-BabyNuke
07-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Sounds cool, and yeah, I hope that voice command thing works (I might need to get a GOOD microphone for it though, as my current one sucks, well, for games).

legacy-Happy_Hamburger
07-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks for answering Mark

Will the voice over IP be like Half Lifes?, where the scoreboard tells you whos got a mic etc, and when you speak, a name comes up on the right hand side, that would be really cool and make public games FAR better

legacy-Ubertek
07-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Spectre
I hope this technology has progressed in the past few years. Last time I used it, it was finnicky as hell and only recognized about 50% of what I spoke to it.

Consider that back then, those programs had an entire dictionary to decipher whenever you spoke. This version will only need to figure out if you said "Attack" "Defend" or "Cover Me", if you get what I mean.

Thanks Mark! :)

legacy-Ubertek
07-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Question: Do we get a full screen map, or a "Limbo" menu in Onslaught, or something similar?

All these nodes are going to be very hard to keep track of without a map. As well as having to choose where to spawn. I assume larger maps might have like 12 nodes. All in different "Routes". (All these routes intersect i bet, so each node may have two different other nodes to aquire.)

Does this set up remind anyone of that old gameshow "Blockbuster"!?!? :haha:

EDIT: I am terribly sorry for the double post. I forgot about it. :(

Mr. Brownstone
07-24-2003, 02:31 PM
I hate the word, and it’s so over-used, but Assault and Onslaught sound awesome. :up:

Wowbagger
07-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Radeon285

I agree, if theres a timelimit is there some way to determine a winner even if they havent destroyed the core?

Like the team with the most nodes win or something?

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Ubertek
Consider that back then, those programs had an entire dictionary to decipher whenever you spoke. This version will only need to figure out if you said "Attack" "Defend" or "Cover Me", if you get what I mean.

That's not the issue. It has to be able to interpret people's different accents and intonations. If it deviates too much from the base waveform for the command, the program won't be able to interpret it properly. Hopefully the interpolation algorithms have improved. It should be a great feature nontheless.

legacy-Dark_Knight
07-24-2003, 03:00 PM

I couldn't agree more. I remember a few years ago I bought a Dragon Point and Speak program. And it was the suckiest piece of software I ever used. If I said the word "do" it would type something like "giler" on the screen.

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
07-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Onslaught sounds like a lot of fun. :up:

I <3 prody parrot. :mad:

UnrealGrrl
07-24-2003, 03:08 PM
MARK or any Developer who knows: can you let us know if as far as Voice commands and the Announcer is concerned if current custom voice packages will be obsoleted by the ut2004 update?

will current custom announcers and Player voice packs still work but just not play any new commands or announcements or will they have to be redone to work with UT2004and the new game types? and if there are alot of changes, can someone post a list of new sounds or make the list available somewhere when they are finalized?

tanx!

legacy-Bleuchamp
07-24-2003, 03:47 PM
How many play in each team in a typical Onslaught map? :weird:

legacy-BabyNuke
07-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Wowbagger
I agree, if theres a timelimit is there some way to determine a winner even if they havent destroyed the core?

Like the team with the most nodes win or something?

Well, it depends on a few things I suppose. The amount of nodes, the time it takes to build, the time it takes to destroy a powercore, how hard it is to destroy a node etc...

Plumb_Drumb
07-24-2003, 04:35 PM
Onslaught sounds like a realtime strategy game ("Herzog Zwei", and "Sacrifice" come to mind).

I'm gonna love it :cool: :up:

Mr. Brownstone
07-24-2003, 05:13 PM
That's not the issue. It has to be able to interpret people's different accents and intonations . . .Modern voice-recognition software uses voice “training,” where you are prompted to speak certain words spelled out on screen in order to get the software to adjust to your voice. I wonder if UT2004 will include such a system?

legacy-191
07-24-2003, 05:18 PM
my bet is that Epic will go all the way in making sure every aspect of the game is up to standard and that everything works as it should.

I trust them 200% :up:

legacy-JaFO(JBE)
07-24-2003, 05:20 PM
- Can we mute individuals ?
- can we 'filter'/mask our voices like the X-box Live! system can ?

- is the voice-recognition compatible with foreign accents ?
It kind of works in the PS2 game 'SOCOM', which has an awesome voice-command menu btw.

// --
Onslaught sounds great. Kind of like Warpath (Half-life/TFC map) combined with 'Conquest Marines' (the mod that was released for the MSUC fase 1) and then taken to the next level.

It is (IMHO) the perfect gametype if both teams are somewhat equal. Having played WP I know that finally taking the next point in the line really is something that's going to feel like a capping the flag in CTF or scoring a point in BR or DDOM.
It's probably as close to a real 'war' as a gametype is ever going to get.

Altough I really prefer a freeform class-like system with loadouts as in Tribes-series instead of hunting weapons ...
but that's something we can fix.

Will we see either of these new gametypes in the UT'04 demo ?

legacy-Shuri
07-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Goddamnit, this will make me look like more of an idiot - people will walk into my room, and I'll be shouting at the computer!

"TAKE THEIR FLAG YOU IDIOTS!"

"COVER ME DAMNIT!!!"

I'll probably start auto-taunting as well....

"DIE, B1TCH!"

"TRY TURNING THE SAFETY OFF!"

;)

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-24-2003, 06:03 PM
I know. My wife says I already talk to the computer too much. :sour:

legacy-gorlackcookies
07-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Just curious... is the Scoring system figuared out yet for individuals.. say if you kill someone else...destroy their vehicle..take over a node and such..it would be kinda cool if you get a bonus for hijacking someones vehicle also..:p

legacy-m0zi
07-24-2003, 07:22 PM
sounds cool...

Mark Rein have one curious question

Will old skool assualt maps be re built in the new engine such as AS-Frigate and AS-Overlord..theywere classic maps.

And I think I remeber CLiffy mentioning about an Onslaught map where u have to over take a moving convoy....sounds like a remake of AS- High Speed sort of :D

anyways good stuff to hear

legacy-/\psalus
07-24-2003, 07:46 PM
w00t! Keep the news coming! :up:

UnrealGrrl
07-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
- Can we mute individuals ?
- can we 'filter'/mask our voices like the X-box Live! system can ?
// --

hopefully any kind of voice system has lots of ways to mute or squelch individuals and or teams as well as a total on/off. if these game types takeoff thatll be great for clans i guess, but i can only imagine what public servers will sound like :eek:

lots of options = goodness ;)

legacy-Victum
07-24-2003, 09:35 PM
That bot ordering thing sounds sweet! I can see it now.. "Bravo engage according to operational *gasp* parameters!"

Or, more in-depth orders.. "Bulldog, taunt pelvic thrust!"

legacy-Shakuurn
07-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by m0zi
sounds cool...

Mark Rein have one curious question

Will old skool assualt maps be re built in the new engine such as AS-Frigate and AS-Overlord..theywere classic maps.

And I think I remeber CLiffy mentioning about an Onslaught map where u have to over take a moving convoy....sounds like a remake of AS- High Speed sort of :D

anyways good stuff to hear

I'm pretty sure that's AS-Convoy, but yeah.

And please remake Rook. That map rocked.

legacy-Mort_Q
07-25-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Bleuchamp
How many play in each team in a typical Onslaught map? :weird:

1-on-1 Onslaught.... game would take forever...

legacy-zenmaster86
07-25-2003, 12:37 AM
I just lost my post because i had to many pics in it but thats fine...
OMG this is going to be awsome

I cant tell you how excited I am

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next step in an Onslaught map involves proceeding to the next Node.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Since death comes quick in the Tournament it is also good to know that once your team controls a Node you can then choose to respawn at it.

quote:
Each team has their own vehicles and you cannot steal your foes vehicles unless they unlock them by first getting into them. If your enemy jumps into a tank and then leaps out to pick up ammo you can then hijack it and turn the tables on him!

These sound like the best thought out game ideas for some serious hardcore carnage...i have goose bumps thinking about it

I have some cyco ideas of how this is going to look.......eeeeee can't imagen the glee of desimating player and node with the hover bike at full speed leving mangaled heeps skiding along the grass for 20 yards

Thanks Mark/Epic for the update

Will there be a warning or guidence system to notify you were and who is controling a/the points that are patched across the map...( sory if you don't know yet or it s not the final answer) But how long will it take to switch over a node, will there be some requirement or down time before you can switch it or will the time needed to switch a point be determined by how long the node has been in control?

legacy-uTaBenoit
07-25-2003, 02:36 AM
Thanks for replying Mark.

I have another question. Will the time vary to build each node according to map size and layout/flow in 2k4? or are all the maps the same size?:weird:

If not, I would suggest it vary accordingly. That's a lot of testing though.;)

legacy-anarkist
07-25-2003, 05:14 AM
I love the way games of BF1942 can last hours. It gives you a real sense of warfare rather than skirmishing. Hopefully Onslaught can achieve this effect also :up:

legacy-NachoUK
07-25-2003, 08:17 AM
Wow... good god that sounds sweeet!!

I love the part about the voice recognition too, if you can make it work that would be brilliant. The voice over IP sounds pretty damn good as well, but please, please tell me that we'll have the ability to ignore certain people without disabling the whole voice thing. Last thing I need is to be able to hear insults flying as well as seeing them in text!

legacy-digital orgasm
07-25-2003, 08:21 AM
woot!

looking forward tho this :)

thx for the info

legacy-emanuel[SoG]
07-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Sniping paradise... :p :up:

legacy-jkadesjo
07-25-2003, 09:05 AM
sounds cool

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-25-2003, 09:42 AM
How are you guys optimizing the large outdoor levels? Distance fog or what?

legacy-petey247
07-25-2003, 10:15 AM
This is gonna rock! Can't wait!:up:

legacy-H-52
07-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Ehrm,

That onslaught game-mode actually sounds pretty well thaught out. Like, it's going to force team members to cooperate even in public servers.

In the meantime, I wonder what the mapsize in these battles is going to be ??

legacy-Scoshi_Tiger
07-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Correction to previous post:

Make it 20,000 dollars....

/me creams :cry: :up:

legacy-Dark_Knight
07-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Rainbow Six 3 is going to be released for xbox this fall, and you will be able to use voice in single player to tell your bots what to do. I have read great reviews on this feature, and no doubt it will just as good for UT2004 to. Playing single player will be a lot more fun now. :up:

legacy-BabyNuke
07-25-2003, 04:35 PM
I said 'blow out that door', NOT 'blow up that dog'!

Argh, morons...

legacy-dethmanrulz
07-25-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by BabyNuke
I said 'blow out that door', NOT 'blow up that dog'!

Argh, morons...

lol.....

legacy-Brandonv
07-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Is there any word on how many players the netcode will be able to support? BF1942 is a blast when playing on the 64 player servers.

legacy-dinwitty
07-25-2003, 06:36 PM

thats how an old PLATO game was... "Conquest" back in th 70's, I played it, it was Star Trekkie, and it was interactive, long before the internet.

2D screen and you take over planets dropping armies.

games could take days, with 4 teams.
Onslaught wouldnt take that long but a good nip and tuck game like any real good CTF game is grinding fun.

legacy-IR-Jasdave
07-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Just wanna get this one clear.
They have the choice to respawn at the last capt'd node? or at base?
I guess this is so that the team can choose if they want to spawn closer to the action, with the risk of being attacked (since the latest node would be closer to where both teams are attacking), or if they want to respawn at base, and take their time to get to the action. Are there only 2 options? or can we chose from all the nodes captured as a respawn?

Wowbagger
07-25-2003, 08:03 PM
My guess is that if you spawn in the node you get directly into action but if you spawn in the base/core you can get Vehicles?

legacy-Jermaine_X
07-25-2003, 08:41 PM
what if people speak in a different language? :cry: :bulb: :eek: :confused: :cry:

legacy-zenmaster86
07-25-2003, 09:18 PM
I want flags on peoples arms or back signifing what provedence or country they are from i think that would be so neet:haha: :up: a text or dubbing of what they say would be awsome but theres no soft ware that is capable of that effectivly in real or other wise that i know of:confused:

legacy-dinwitty
07-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Jermaine_X
what if people speak in a different language? :cry: :bulb: :eek: :confused: :cry:
I thik there would have to be the standard character voices yelling out the usual stuff if you cant use voice.
should be an option if you dont understand them.

legacy-R0B0
07-26-2003, 02:12 AM
Sounds great.

I'm wondering how the new? updated? Unreal engine is going to handle these BIG outdoor scens also. Currently DistanceFog is pretty lame for big outdoor maps. I hope they at least have improved that.

I also hope they are hard at work improving the buggy UnrealEd which never ceases to amaze me with the number of ways it can crash and burn.

Especially for the editor, the terrain editing part needs to be improved a LOT. Start by fixing it so working on edges of terrain's doesn't cause a crash 1 out of 4 times =)

legacy-OzRoy
07-26-2003, 02:43 AM
I would like to know if there is going to be a spawn delay. So if you die you have to wait 30 seconds before you respawn.

The reason I ask is you have to defend your nodes. The nodes are also the spawn points, so it's going to be a bit unfair on attackers if they are attacking a node and every time they kill someone they instantly respawn again.

Wowbagger
07-26-2003, 04:49 AM

Well i think itll be allright, weve been able to talk to eachother through both UT and UT2003 before havent we?
Sure some have typed in their own language but most of us has used English.

legacy-JaFO(JBE)
07-26-2003, 05:20 AM
What about you learning a different language in addition to english ???
Or simply stick to servers within your own country or learn the language that's spoken by the majority of the players on the server you happen to visit ...
:p

legacy-RetodonIIX
07-26-2003, 09:05 AM
I've been wishing for another way to quickly equip weapons for a long time, since I haven't found the perfect way to layout my keyboard bindings yet, and keep them somewhat universal for the different games I play.
Maybe it would be possible to bind some voice commands to the different weapons?

Onslaught sounds like a nice game.
I wonder if we'll get some kind of map to view where we are, where we want to spawn, etc..

legacy-john.andliz
07-26-2003, 09:52 AM
I would also enjoy bringing Assault back. I enjoyed playing it in the first UT Tournament.

Regarding vehicle use in Onslaught, some of us have a bug where we cannot bind a key to "use" a vehicle. No matter what key is selected as the "use" key, it simply will not work.

This bug has not been addressed in any patches. I am sure this would be corrected before Onslaught would be released or many of us, who have never used a vehicle, will remain frustrated.

Thanks.:)

legacy-RetodonIIX
07-26-2003, 09:57 AM
I never experienced the bug with the Use key, but then again, I never use it.
I only tested it in the Bulldog test map a few times.

One more thing about Assault.
It would be nice if the Defenders would also have some objectives to accomplish.
I suppose the only team that can earn points, is the attacking team, and the way to do that, is to complete the entire mission as quickly as possible, not by accomplishing singular objectives, which are just necesary to advance.
(In UT's Assault some weren't strictly necesary, but did help a bunch.)
The defending team could have some of those singular objectives, that wouldn't earn them any points either, but would help them holding off the attackers.
I recall the defenders can mount turrets in certain Assault maps, and that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.
It's just that that way both the attackers and the defenders would have something more to do than just kill off the other team, even before the switching of sides.

legacy-Jermaine_X
07-26-2003, 10:24 AM
What about you learning a different language in addition to english ???
Or simply stick to servers within your own country or learn the language that's spoken by the majority of the players on the server you happen to visit ...
:p
i go on uk servers and still another language is spoken! O_O:(

legacy-zenmaster86
07-26-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm wondering how the new? updated? Unreal engine is going to handle these BIG outdoor scens also. Currently DistanceFog is pretty lame for big outdoor maps. I hope they at least have improved that.

They can handal ithttp://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/wink/thumb.gif:p

legacy-Aggressor
07-26-2003, 01:17 PM
I have a couple of requests regarding bot AI. I hope you realize that bot AI was a great obstacle for us mappers back in UT in that it just did not allow us to build complex maps with branched assault paths and advanced tactics - bots weren't able to defend more that one objective at a time (some maps try to improvise, with variable success), they could not carry out objectives when on defense, they could not provide cover from the distance when on the attacking side, they could not mount attacks with multiple collaborating groups etc. I's really like to see that kind of advanced bot AI, otherwise it will be just an old UT assault in the new clothes - players might love that, mappers WON'T.

I also hope you realize that standard UT2k3 weaponry is stylistically incompatible with new gametypes - they are way too colorful and don't resemble military equipment really (except minigun and assault rifle). I'd opt for gear looking similar to AvP2's marine's.

One last appeal: do implement usable stationary defenses, like legendary Infiltration's Browning in UT Assault.

Other than that, do not release the title until it is *really* done. And good god, do improve the editor, it crashes on me every forty minutes (or less).

legacy-zenmaster86
07-26-2003, 01:29 PM
Mysterial is working on the AI so its covered as best it can:) my only concern is the AI of BOTs to drive vehicles with human pasengers:weird: :) but i think it will be fine.......

also hope you realize that standard UT2k3 weaponry is stylistically incompatible with new gametypes - they are way too colorful and don't resemble military equipment really (except minigun and assault rifle). I'd opt for gear looking similar to AvP2's marine's.

This is a sci fi shooterhttp://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/sally/lol.gifevery weapon should have a futuristic look and feel....

The new weapons look insane/unreal.....the spider mines are awsome one of the best weapons ever, only eclipsed by the LG and Flack

All methods of carnage and desimation must be UT I-zed :D :up: :)

do implement usable stationary defenses

Hell yes;) :up: manable turets.......It would be cool if you chould move stationary turets with the drop ship by hooking it to the botom,(artilery weapons)

legacy-191
07-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Mr Rein, is there some kind of date when Epic will be starting to promote Unreal Tournament 2004 ? With this i mean a website or more screenshots or a movie or all of the above :). I am really looking forward to Unreal Tournament 2004, and can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I hope you can answer my question.

Mark Rein
07-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Happy_Hamburger
Will the voice over IP be like Half Lifes?, where the scoreboard tells you whos got a mic etc, and when you speak, a name comes up on the right hand side, that would be really cool and make public games FAR better I suspect it will work like that but right now none of the user interface stuff is implemented.

Mark Rein
07-26-2003, 05:56 PM
More answers...

Ubertek--> In Onslaught there is a small map on screen that shows the nodes and indicates who controls the node by color as well as your position and the direction you're going. Assault has a slightly different on screen indicator.

Wowbagger--> I'm not sure how individual scoring works. I'm sure there's some ingenius scheme to give people points like there is in CTF.

NYGrrl--> I don't know of any reason why UT2003 voice packs would not work in 2004.

Bleuchamp--> There are both large and small Onslaught maps.

Mr. Brownstone--> We're using a Microsoft DirectX speech recognition SDK which, as far as I can tell, doesn't require training. I was able to speak commands with nearly 100% accuracy on my first try!

Jafo & NYGrrl --> Yes you can filter out people you don't want to hear. No voice masking is planned. There will be lots of options so that you can talk with the people who want to and not talk with the people you don't want to. I believe we're also planning to have 3D spacialization so you can tell where someone is based on where their voice appears to be coming from. We're going to do some IRC chats on UT2004 soon so I'll try to get Dan to come on and talk about how sound & voice work in UT2004.

Mozi--> The new assault maps are more complex than the original. But you are correct that Convoy is the spritual successor to HighSpeed. It's much better than the original in my opinion.

UtaBenoit--> I believe the time to build a node (and amount of damage required to destroy it) are the same in all cases. Not all the Onslaught maps are the same size. We have some suitable for small player counts 6-8 and some for big player counts (24+).

Dark_Spectre--> Most of the Onslaught levels are pretty hilly so that tends to keep visibility reasonable.

Brandov--> The number of players you can support really depends on the incoming and outgoing bandwidth of your server. However I don't think 64 player servers would be practical in our game. The battles get pretty darn intense!

IR-Jasdave--> I believe you can choose to respawn at any node currently held by your team.

Jermaine--> I assume that you're asking about people speaking in different languages with respect to voice commands. I believe the speech SDK only currently supports English but I could be wrong there. Dan says mod makers can easily extend the functionality so I suppose a language pack mod wouldn't be impossible.

RetodonIIX--> Voice commands for weapon switching isn't currently planned but I'm bugging Dan for that functionality myself as well. Perhaps during a future IRC chat we can get a show of hands on that one and discuss its pros and cons.

Aggressor--> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll make sure Cliff reads them. We DO have some cool stationary weapons that I think you'll like. Unfortunately I don't think there are any significant editor changes until the next generation of the engine shows up in a few years with a whole new (albeit familiar) editor.

191--> We're going to start hyping the game pretty soon. I suspect we'll have a UT2004 website before too long but I don't know for sure when (Atari's area). We're going to do some IRC chats pretty soon and start showing the game to the press on a regular basis. Many of the big cosmetic changes aren't implemented yet so we're reluctant to show too much knowing things will look better and better before too long. But I must say that last night I was playing through a bunch of the new 1-1 DM maps and there are superb! Plus there a new CTF map called MoonDragon that is really fun and beautiful to boot.

legacy-SB]ShadowDrone
07-26-2003, 06:02 PM
I'm going to change my boxes :D

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS MARK!!!!!!

Mr. Brownstone
07-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Mercy! :eek: :up:

legacy-191
07-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Thanks for answering our questions. And people were saying Epic wasn't active enough. I can't wait anymore ! :rolleyes:

legacy-SealClubber
07-26-2003, 07:42 PM
My god.. there better be some DAMN BETTER CTF maps than the ones that came with UT2003! :mad:

legacy-RetodonIIX
07-26-2003, 07:52 PM
SealClubber, you forgot the obligatory: "Or else! :mad: "

Anyway, thanks for the replies, Mark!

legacy-Descentia
07-26-2003, 07:58 PM
ROCK-ON!!!!!!!!! :eek::up:

I can't WAIT!!!!! :D :D :D

legacy-Ubertek
07-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks Mark. Much appreciated. :D:up:

Sounds like I better get my pre-order in now while amazon have it for a oddly low price of £26. ;)

You know, i saw a preview for "C&C Generals: Zero Hour" the other day. I cant remember the site, but they kept refering to the person they had been talking to about the expansion as "Mark Rein".

It wasnt just a typo or something either. They refered to him as "Rein" throughout the whole preview. I know the Producer for C&C Generals is "Mark Skaggs", but I found it funny that a site got you all messed up, im gonna look for the link.

EDIT: http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/previews/jul03/candczero.html

"We got a chance to speak with producer Mark Rein and play around with an early build of the upcoming title at EA's recent press event." - Heh.

legacy-Brandonv
07-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Brandov--> The number of players you can support really depends on the incoming and outgoing bandwidth of your server. However I don't think 64 player servers would be practical in our game. The battles get pretty darn intense!
Thanks for replying to my question. :) I guess 64 players would be too many for Unreals style of play, considering all the mayhem that goes on.

I guess my question should have been: What is the minimum amount of players needed to have fun on the largest maps? 16? 32?

legacy-Aggressor
07-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Thanks for reply, Mark. I'm really looking forward to building complex and interesting maps... that bots will actually manage...

legacy-zenmaster86
07-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the reply;) :up: !!!!

Can/Will there be mobile manable turets........meaning will there be artilery pieces that the drop ship can pick up and move to defend or atack a node?

-Will the map show the location of team vehicles?

-Have you decided how supper weapons will effect vehicles?

-Will there be implemented bot capabilityes to drive vehicles?

-Can you Kamakazi your vehicle?

-Will anny of the vehicles or bace utilityes have (link use) can a stationary turets power be boosted by a suporting player with a link?

-Will there be animations for entering and exiting vehicles?

-When will 2004 beable to be pre ordered?(Amazon)

legacy-R0B0
07-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Zenmaster86.. Have you ever noticed how badly DistanceFog ruins a good outdoor map? You can get big meshes and entire mountains just appearing and dissapearing out of nowhere, even when you are standing still and just looking left and right. IMHO that needs to be addressed.

For my current map I have opted to not have DistanceFog at all because of the abysmal way DistanceFog affects big outdoor maps. When I say big I mean like my map is in a big cube which is 65536x65536x65536 unreal units, and that's BIG! It's CMAS-River, a map for the Conquest Marines mod. My map will be released with the next version of the mod in a few days.

I'm also hoping bot AI is improved a lot when it comes to navigating BIG path networks. My map has a very simple path layout but because of the size of the map the network is VERY BIG. Adding just 1 bot saps 50 FPS and each additional bot drains about 10FPS. That's something that needs addressing also.

legacy-zenmaster86
07-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Have you ever noticed how badly DistanceFog ruins a good outdoor map

Yep, I just ment there are other alternatives than distance fog.....this isn't there first game....and its not that much of an abigues problem....i think they are making hills and large structures to obstruct view and with aircrafts they will probably have clowds to break things up........you saw the mag pics a few weaks ago right?

http://www.beyondunreal.com/image.php?src=staff/raptor/ut2004_jul03/ingame2.jpg
:p ;)

legacy-Happy_Hamburger
07-27-2003, 07:25 AM
Thanks for your replys Mark :)

Can you tell us how many maps are going to be in for each gametype like BR DDOM, CTF DM etc

and also has Digital Extremes started making any maps for UT2004 yet?

Cheers

legacy-RetodonIIX
07-27-2003, 08:46 AM
Happy_Hamburger, the amounts of maps for the different gametypes have already officially been mentioned somewhere.
Of course that amount could change, but it's probably pretty close.
I'm afraid I have no idea where I read that anymore. :(
I think it was in this forum, so you could try and open up Mark of Cliffy's Profile, and search for their most recent posts.

zenmaster86, the bots will be able to drive vehicles.
They mentioned that in the Dutch magazine interview.
Bots will let human players take precedence when it comes to vehicles.
Also it will be possible to order bots to use vehicles, or even the turrets of vehicles if I got that right.

Using your Link to boost turrets for instance still sounds like it could be a nice idea.
If the thing can boost another Link, then why not a plasma tower?

I hope the key for entering and exiting a vehicles will be the same, because that way perhaps the Jump key could be use to give a little extra boost to certain vehicles for instance.
It'd be nice to do some special stunts with those.
I suspect they will keep the Use key, and properply implement it, so I hope you'll need to Use the vehicle again to exit it.

legacy-JaFO(JBE)
07-27-2003, 10:02 AM
NYGrrl--> I don't know of any reason why UT2003 voice packs would not work in 2004.
getting them 'working' might not be the problem, but the 'mutant'-gametype introduced additional announcements for the announcers.
While the 'official' announcers had these, the ones that had been made needed to be upgraded, unless one liked to hear either total silence or the 'old' official announcer at those events. (There was at least 1 reference to a 'roadkill'-type announcement for vehicle-kills ... )

Same applies to the voicepacks as used by players to 'command' bots & teammates.
I can see the need for vehicle-related commands ("I need a ride" vs "Can I get a driver/gunner ?" ) as can be done in Tribes 2.
It would be kind of 'weird' to have NyGrrl's voice (http://www.unrealgrrl.com/) for the 'regular'-commands & taunts and the 'default' female mercenary for the rest ...

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-27-2003, 10:45 AM
unless one liked to hear either total silence or the 'old' official announcer at those events. (There was at least 1 reference to a 'roadkill'-type announcement for vehicle-kills ... )

Speaking of the old voices, you can still listen to the old male and female merc voices in the editor. They never removed them. :bulb:

legacy-CH405
07-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Damn! I shoulda been posting in this thread all this time! :eek: :up:
I have one question Marky!
Well, what will happen if we want to 'bail out' from the flying vehicles? Will there be parachutes or will it just be instant death, like you go SPLAT when you hit the ground :haha: .
Including parachutes would perhaps add a new level of dynamism to the game since you could then 'air-drop' your team to a certain location :)
Its also balanced if you think about it. Good for the attackers, since they don't have to cover land and can reach their destination quickly, bad for attackers because they can just get popped off in the air by a sniper :D

Oh and I was just wondering how the SuperWeapons would be applicable in Onslaught. Perhaps you guys could enhance the Ion Cannon?
Not to be rude or anything, but the current Ion Cannon effect really aint much, neither is the Redeemer Explosion. So hopefully we could have some new visual effects? Coz that would be great!:up:

legacy-zenmaster86
07-27-2003, 04:12 PM
I think the TL will be for bailing outhttp://216.40.249.192/s/cwm/3dlil/rolleyes.gif

You would need to UT-ize the parisute to make it fit in....would feel beter:)

(Ion needs help);) :up:

legacy-JaFO(JBE)
07-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Solution 1 : don't fly at great heights ... besides it makes you look like a target ;)

Solution 2 : use the shieldgun & translocator to break your fall ... ;)

Or use the Fly-mutator to give yourself a jetpack ;)

legacy-191
07-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Solution 1 : don't fly at great heights ... besides it makes you look like a target ;)

Solution 2 : use the shieldgun & translocator to break your fall ... ;)

Or use the Fly-mutator to give yourself a jetpack ;)

Or you could just go the old-fashioned way and land the damn plane :)

Wowbagger
07-27-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by zenmaster86
I think the TL will be for bailing outhttp://216.40.249.192/s/cwm/3dlil/rolleyes.gif

You would need to UT-ize the parisute to make it fit in....would feel beter:)

(Ion needs help);) :up:

The TL isnt even in Onslaught.

legacy-CH405
07-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by 191
Or you could just go the old-fashioned way and land the damn plane :)

And what if my plane gets shot down :p
Yeh I could land it with my mighty flying skillz:o :up:
But Not everyone has those flying skills. So we need something better.

legacy-JaFO(JBE)
07-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CH405
And what if my plane gets shot down :p
Yeh I could land it with my mighty flying skillz:o :up:
But Not everyone has those flying skills. So we need something better.
*eh* I really doubt UT'04-vehicles & stuff will have a realistic flightmodel ;)
ie : just do a steep dive & kill the speed as you approach the ground and just pray your enemy doesn't finish you off while you're doing that ... ;)

legacy-zenmaster86
07-27-2003, 05:02 PM
The TL isnt even in Onslaught.

Thanks mark:rolleyes:

legacy-CH405
07-27-2003, 05:27 PM

erm dude! don't even think that the TL belongs in Onslaught! Coz it doesnt!
We have vehicles remember :D
I mean whats the point of TL around the map!
Ooh! lets have a race!
Me with my TL vs. the Hoverbike!
Who will win!?!?!(well the answer is kinda obvious)
So the TL is practically useless.

legacy-191
07-27-2003, 06:25 PM
We have vehicles remember :D
I mean whats the point of TL around the map!
Ooh! lets have a race!
Me with my TL vs. the Hoverbike!
Who will win!?!?!(well the answer is kinda obvious)
So the TL is practically useless. `

what about a translocating hover bike thing :o

legacy-Mort_Q
07-27-2003, 06:29 PM
]the TL is practically useless.

If the TL is practically useless on a loarge Onslaught map, then people won't use it.

legacy-CH405
07-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Mort_Q
If the TL is practically useless on a loarge Onslaught map, then people won't use it.

Thus there is no need for the option!
:)
Besides, thats how it is at the moment according to Mark.:up:

UnrealGrrl
07-27-2003, 06:35 PM
More answers...

thanks mark - but like Jafo replied already its not so much if they will work or not but if there are any (or i expect quite a few) new and changed voices and commands for UT2004 (especially in the new gametypes) then the current voice packs will become obsolete or at least won't completely "work" even though they work... kapish? ;)

so what im hoping is sometime before UT2004 is released we can get a headsup list of new commands and the corresponding voice that needs to go with it :)

tanx again!

legacy-TriX R 4 KidS
07-27-2003, 09:15 PM
Hey Mark, small request. Can you guys maybe change Onslaught to something else, so that it's not exactly the same as the mod I've been working so hard on? :sour:

I dont think thatll happen....sorry :` (

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by TriX R 4 KidS
I dont think thatll happen....sorry :` (

That's okay. I've already enhanced my design. :D

legacy-zenmaster86
07-27-2003, 10:03 PM

That wasn't realy the focus of that post.....I was just saying that chould be an option, you can put the TL in a DM game and theres no use for it there and i don't realy like it in BR but thats of cource personal preference..I say let it be an option:) more options/variations to game play the beter...a drag race with the hover bike and the TL might be funny:D (Ied take th hover bike and run him over though:) )http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/sally/lol.gif:up:

Maybe they might make disk that you chuck out the back that once they land you teleport to.......I don't know would rock if Mark told us how they have decided to deal with that they will find some original way of doing it......

I just want the entering exiting and bailing out of vehicles to look awsome and have the UT feel :)

legacy-CH405
07-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Well, Ok TL in Onslaught can be an option, nothing more :o

Oh and I would wait another month or so before more indepth questions are clearly answered. Although Marky did promise some IRC chats :D
See people! Mark is no longer the '2 weeks' man! He is the cool Marketing dude :p!

legacy-SealClubber
07-27-2003, 11:15 PM
Nope, you kids need to learn how to move w/o the Trans for once

having the trans will keep people away from using the vehicles, which is bad

legacy-Muzzy Monster
07-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Hey Mark, small request. Can you guys maybe change Onslaught to something else, so that it's not exactly the same as the mod I've been working so hard on? :sour: Well then hurry up and get yours done before they do.
Oh and I WANT ONSLAUGHT ON THE NEXT UC UPDATE!!

Wowbagger
07-28-2003, 12:48 AM

Dont you rolleyes me :mad:

Read the first page again,

legacy-zenmaster86
07-28-2003, 03:40 AM

Sorry :(

I was just joking with you...because the use of the TL for geting out of the dropship was just a sugestion/discution that we were all talking about....and they may make t enabled only wile in the air. I don't like the idea of the TL in onslaught matches but you can enable it in all the other game modes I.E DOM, DM ect. and it meses up the game play but it still is an option.....

But ime sorry about that post

...the whole reason for coming here is to talk about stuff like bailing out of the aircrafts:) :up:
Ied much prefer somthing other than the TL or sheild for bailing out at height...like a UT-ized parasuite or some hover belt \:( / I don't know

Wowbagger
07-28-2003, 10:16 AM
np
ok i would like the seat to be ejected and equipped with small jets letting it slowly descend :)
Or something ;)

legacy-zenmaster86
07-28-2003, 10:44 AM
OMG:D
Last night I rented final fantacy the movie just for ideas and it was insane......somthing that looked realy cool was how people that were falling broke there fall (this seriously chould be the best way to do the whole decent thing!!!!) The traler below dusn't show them doing it but showes the mist rising away from them
What the Marines did when they jumped out of the drop ship was shoot a canister/s af some green goo that explodeded and looked like a gellowe green water baloon, under neth where they were falling to the ground and landed in it and slowly sank to the botom and the goo quickly evaporated into a wight/green mist trust me it looked sick to watch :haha: :up:

Somthing like this chould be another weapon against vehicles to slow them down (stoping the tank, buggies or slowing it)
And all this is with in the power of the engine, and there would be skill involved with actuly hiting the green stuff to break your fall....

( Think of the green stuff to act like the pool in the back of face3 just above ground in the midal of no were) In face you fall a realy long way into the small pool and quickly stop with out damage;) :up:
What do you all think of the idea of goo pilow things for falling?
23 sec in
http://www.apple.com/trailers/columbia/final_fantasy/

legacy-Scoshi_Tiger
07-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Onslaught looks like it's gonna be a hardcore mode.

One thing. What is the possibility of a seperate set of skins/models for the mode? I think it'd be a bit wierd having a bunch of Nightmares, Robts etc running round the place in their respective team colours.

Makes more sense, to me, to have seperate team models and skins.

If you understand the bag of ****e typed above :p

Grim
07-29-2003, 08:46 AM
Hey Mark.

Sorry if this has been asked before but will UT2004 support more than two teams? So you could like play three or four teams in a game of Onslaught, assuming that the map supports it.

Thanks in advance and cheers

legacy-191
07-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Grimmen
Hey Mark.

Sorry if this has been asked before but will UT2004 support more than two teams? So you could like play three or four teams in a game of Onslaught, assuming that the map supports it.

Thanks in advance and cheers

In the interview posted here a while ago, Steven Polge said they were going for 2 teams per match. So to answer your question: No.

legacy-Nosnos
07-29-2003, 12:01 PM
Just want to know one thing... there is a rumour going around that the LG will be replaced by "the old UT-sniper" in UT2004 and I just wanna now if that is true. Now I know that the sniper is in pictures but I just thought that was for Onslaught (Assualt?) only and that you werent gonna change anything major in the "old" gamemodes DM, TDM, DDOM, BR and CTF...

I personally think it would be a very bad idea to replace the LG in the old gamemodes since LG is a weapon that takes more skill than the old sniper rifle to use and makes for a better weapon balance, imo ;)

So, can you stop the rumours and just tell use how it is going to be? sniper in and lg out or not, that is the question? :)

Oh, and Onslaught and Assualt both looks to be great modes, just hope that there arent as many "bugs" in the assualt maps that lets you clear a map in just a matter of seconds and skip every objective except the last one...

legacy-Mofassa
07-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Nosnos
Just want to know one thing... there is a rumour going around that the LG will be replaced by "the old UT-sniper" in UT2004 and I just wanna now if that is true. Now I know that the sniper is in pictures but I just thought that was for Onslaught (Assualt?) only and that you werent gonna change anything major in the "old" gamemodes DM, TDM, DDOM, BR and CTF...

I personally think it would be a very bad idea to replace the LG in the old gamemodes since LG is a weapon that takes more skill than the old sniper rifle to use and makes for a better weapon balance, imo ;)

So, can you stop the rumours and just tell use how it is going to be? sniper in and lg out or not, that is the question? :)

Oh, and Onslaught and Assualt both looks to be great modes, just hope that there arent as many "bugs" in the assualt maps that lets you clear a map in just a matter of seconds and skip every objective except the last one...

I think (not sure) that the sniper will just be another available weapon..so there will be a sniper..and an LG>..because in a few reports it says stuff along the lines of and adding a few new weapons..such as. So I figure that this sniper will probably have a down side to it..who knows, but Mark would be the right guy to answer it

legacy-191
07-29-2003, 02:07 PM
I think i will die pretty soon if i don't get some UT2004 info :rolleyes:

legacy-zenmaster86
07-29-2003, 05:24 PM
I think i will die pretty soon if i don't get some UT2004 info

Me two:eek: http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/contrib/geno/rotz.gif

O and the lightning gun will still be in 2004 but I think the classic sniper rife will be in maps designed with it in there....
meaning if a maper/Cliff wants it in ONS bla bla blaa he will build it into the map...or it may just be a mutator to replace the LG temporarily but for sure the LG WILL be in 2004;) :up: :)

legacy-Nosnos
07-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Me two:eek: http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/contrib/geno/rotz.gif

O and the lightning gun will still be in 2004 but I think the classic sniper rife will be in maps designed with it in there....
meaning if a maper/Cliff wants it in ONS bla bla blaa he will build it into the map...or it may just be a mutator to replace the LG temporarily but for sure the LG WILL be in 2004;) :up: :)

Thats what I thought too, but I would feel a whole lot better if it was made official by Mr Rein or some other Epic-fellow so that I can show it to the ones who thinks the LG will be history with UT2004 :)

legacy-zenmaster86
07-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Thats what I thought too, but I would feel a whole lot better if it was made official by Mr Rein or some other Epic-fellow so that I can show it to the ones who thinks the LG will be history with UT2004

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/unknown/face4.gifYes it would.http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/unknown/face4.gif

:D He will post here in a bit:confused: I hope;) :p :up:

Edit....Cliff I know your on:weird: J/k scratch that Cliff give us info

legacy-191
07-30-2003, 02:03 PM
I have another little question that is half about UT2004. Is there any ETA on the next Unreal Tournament 2003 patch ?

legacy-Shuri
07-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Beta's were supposed to be around now. Me no likey delays :(

legacy-191
07-30-2003, 02:50 PM
need............Unreal............Tournament...... ......2004..........

legacy-zenmaster86
07-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Beta's were supposed to be around now. Me no likey delays http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/angry/paranoid.gif

He Epic or law guy that reads these forums........(Y/can) 't Epic post 2004 screens on the forums?..........or will they when it comes time:confused: :) it's a tad off setting that users have to post that they found some screens...Ied think Epic or Atari chould let us know they were out or at least were we chould get them:(
Is there a reason....can people not take them off here and publish them?

Don't get me rong ime emencly gratfull for the up dates....if this is all they can give us with out making it a chore than I am compleatly content :)

legacy-nXos
07-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Question > When we talk bout BIG maps in onslaught. how big are we talking, and in what way would limit where we went in them?
- Tribes style? can bascailly go anywhere you want, the hills just keep going and going.
- BattleField style? in theory the maps keep going but theres the border that says turn around or you get shot down?
- or other game styles? Where theres just a giant mountain stoping you?
- or finally the really goofy way? when your flying your ship you just run into an invisable wall?

....and about the LG, the LG would have to be in 2004 because they said 2004 players can connect to 2003 servers i thought? therfor one cant have one weap and the other not.

legacy-Shakuurn
07-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by nXos
Question > When we talk bout BIG maps in onslaught. how big are we talking, and in what way would limit where we went in them?
- Tribes style? can bascailly go anywhere you want, the hills just keep going and going.
- BattleField style? in theory the maps keep going but theres the border that says turn around or you get shot down?
- or other game styles? Where theres just a giant mountain stoping you?
- or finally the really goofy way? when your flying your ship you just run into an invisable wall?

Most likely 2, 3 or 4. Although with a clever use of Warp Zones you can create a wraparound map.

legacy-CH405
07-30-2003, 07:58 PM
/me waits for the next Mark/Cliffy/Dr.Sin post eagerly :eek:

legacy-Kabhal
07-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Hi Mark, I got a few questions as well (assuming your still answering them all):

Do the vehicles spawn only at the main bases or do they spawn at the nodes as well? If they spawn at the nodes, how do you determine which team the vehicles belong to? Are they neutral until used??
Will there be a spawn delay when you die like in BF1942?
Are there anti-aircraft turrets available? Are there new weapons for shooting down aircraft or do you just use the standard weapons?
What are the standard health points of most vehicles? How hard are they too destroy?
In BF1942, destroying a tank can take awhile unless you attack it from the rear. Will the tanks (and other vehicles) in UT2004 have similar vulnerabilities in certain locations or will damage be the same if shot from any direction?
How well do the largest Onslaught maps run compared to UT2003? I can run UT2003 pretty good with everything turned down/off, will it be the same with UT2004 or should I start saving for an upgrade?
Can you give us a sneak-peek of the new CTF-MoonDragon map? ;)

legacy-zenmaster86
07-31-2003, 09:07 AM
Ime not mark but I am a mesanger........

Do the vehicles spawn only at the main bases or do they spawn at the nodes as well? If they spawn at the nodes, how do you determine which team the vehicles belong to? Are they neutral until used??

Each team has their own vehicles and you cannot steal your foes vehicles unless they unlock them by first getting into them. If your enemy jumps into a tank and then leaps out to pick up ammo you can then hijack it and turn the tables on him! Yes ive read around and I think vehicles will only spawn in bacees but that dus not mean some one will not leave one lying around behind a hill:p

Are there anti-aircraft turrets available? Are there new weapons for shooting down aircraft or do you just use the standard weapons?

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309511
Yes, In assualt and Onslaught.......Theres the new spidermines which lay dormant in some grass and once an enemy comes by they crawl after them and detonate...then theres the sticky bombs which you fire and they adhear to skin or metal and detonate on comand:D theirs also some new rocket launcher that they have not given much info on so may be they will tell os a little about that;)
Will there be a spawn delay when you die like in BF1942? Yes, I think:)

legacy-191
07-31-2003, 10:51 AM
/me waits for the next Mark/Cliffy/Dr.Sin post eagerly :eek:

I am still holding my breath for it....

http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/chapel/bigfrogs/bigsick.gif

legacy-RetodonIIX
07-31-2003, 12:48 PM

Idea!
Just like the you're able to carry 2 Assault Rifles in UT2004, make it possible to carry 2 Translocators as well.
That'll even things out a bit. :)

legacy-Shuri
07-31-2003, 01:01 PM

Yes they will.

People are idiots. (Harsh, but often true ;))

legacy-191
07-31-2003, 04:22 PM
I was looking over all the official UT2004 pictures and i couldn't help but wondering, what all those really high towers you see on the onslaught pictures for ?

legacy-|MoNK|Cucumber
07-31-2003, 06:07 PM
Assault sounds good...

Onslaught sounds way too complicated...

It seems too hard to get "control points" one by one in order and then finally shoot down the "master point" at the enemy base... I mean its hard enough in Domination to control two points... so this sounds somewhat impossible..

I'd suggest making it more like the conquest mode in BF1942... so just setup control points on the map, and make a twist on it so that instead of just accumulating points, the object would be to control all say "5 points" on the map. Once you control all the points your team wins.

I dunno.. mabye I'll change my mind when I play this new gametype but from the sounds of it I'm getting stressed out already heh.

legacy-nXos
07-31-2003, 06:22 PM
well im assuming teams will have more players then in Double domination.

and im not sure about the order thing. that makes it sound like a tug of war match. as you progress down the 'line' they keep backing up further to thier base. so it gets harder and harder as you push foward.

i wouldnt mind it not having an order of which you must take them. and teams would have to use thier own knowledge of which they choose to defend heavier then others. and which they choose to stratigically attack next.

sounds to me if you HAVE to take them in order (unless im understanding the order part wrong)

that once you take say like the 3rd node, the first 2 can be left unguarded? because enemy team would have to take 3 before they can take 2 then 1?

legacy-zenmaster86
07-31-2003, 08:22 PM
I think distance and the fact that It will probable more inportant to defent nodes than take them will make it much harder for the nodes to change points quickly.....I see the nodes as ither little bullit shaped short polles or little look out buildings that look like smaller team baces in CTF-Maul......

What do you all think the nodes will look like?

The tower in the midle of the first ons map we sall looks great can't weight to snipe from their...........

It would be neet if the ION was on top or in the middle of that tower and you would need to fly up in a plane to get their...(have the look of the dark lords hide out in Episode 2 where the guy who dances with yoda fight.....:D

legacy-sammboy125
07-31-2003, 09:11 PM
Mark/Cliffy

I'm sure glad you guys are gonna hype this baby! Alot of awnsers should be given just in screenshots alone!:up:

Quick question tho: You still haven't said anything about single-player Onslaught suppourt. Will the bots be able to use vehicles to take full advantage of the new gametypes? If so, what if a custom CTF map using vehicles comes out? Will CTF bots be changed to use vehicles? I realize multiplayer is strong with this game/style, but with UT's mutator capibilities, I just wanna make sure I'll be able to play MY kind of game when I want...

Thanx and keep up the good work!:):up:

legacy-CH405
07-31-2003, 09:29 PM
Hmm, I think question time has ended boys and girls. :(

legacy-zenmaster86
07-31-2003, 11:26 PM
Hmm, I think question time has ended boys and girls.
:confused: Better not be only one or two good post by Epic:( thought theired be a tad more mingaling in the forum...I guess its because wheir fat:( O well once 2004 is out I'll get some serious work out run with my lap top every were playing 2004:D :up:

legacy-vhx
08-01-2003, 03:58 AM
So how will the vehicles be there? Like do they spawn or do you get a certain amount of vehicles around the map. I was also wondering if there was a gun used to repair things such as a turret you can sit in [that would be cool] or repairing a vehicle as it goes direct into the heat of battle, would take lots of teamplay to cover that one though, but REAL fun.

edit: Im wondering if their would be rewards for doing something like, if you take a core it randoms on your team to get a choice of a new vehicle for you. Or maybe as a point system like, you kill so many people and you get points. But you can buy vehicles using these points:
AKA: Kill someone and earn 30 points

Vehicles vary in price to maybe in the 500 range or something to be fair. I dunno it would have to be tested for the points.

legacy-zenmaster86
08-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Their are explanations above on some of the vehicle stuff.:)

legacy-IL_C4
08-01-2003, 08:24 AM
sounds gr8 :D

legacy-Mort_Q
08-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by |MoNK|Cucumber
It seems too hard to get "control points" one by one in order and then finally shoot down the "master point" at the enemy base... I mean its hard enough in Domination to control two points... so this sounds somewhat impossible.

As far as I understand it, once the point is controlled (constructed) it can't be taken away from you.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Power Nodes begin as neutral points in the level and once they're touched they begin to build for your team. At this point the opposing team can attack and try to destroy the Node as it is being constructed. If they manage to destroy it it will go neutral again and can be re-claimed by either team. If they fail to destroy it the Node will be built for your own team and a link will be made to your own Power Core.

legacy-191
08-01-2003, 12:55 PM
As far as I understand it, once the point is controlled (constructed) it can't be taken away from you.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

As far as i can tell, you are mistaken. The control points can be taken over by the enemies team.

I have yet another question: Is there going to be a speedometer (?) for the vehicle ? If so will you be thinking about the european people that use Kilometer per hour instead of Miles per hour.

legacy-CH405
08-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 191
As far as i can tell, you are mistaken. The control points can be taken over by the enemies team.

I have yet another question: Is there going to be a speedometer (?) for the vehicle ? If so will you be thinking about the european people that use Kilometer per hour instead of Miles per hour.

:haha: :haha:
Good point there however :D
Maybe a digital one would be more appropriate, since it is after UNREAL and it is the future :D

legacy-191
08-01-2003, 02:40 PM
:haha: :haha:
Good point there however :D
Maybe a digital one would be more appropriate, since it is after UNREAL and it is the future :D

What ever gets you off :D :o :up:

legacy-zenmaster86
08-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Is there going to be a speedometer (?) for the vehicle ?

Dude, I want a battle scared one where it is smashed in and has skull fragments.......hummmm thats a little to morbid.....has to look cool not some dinky thing that looks like it is made of paper:D

O weight :) In the leaked video that Cliff was playing the vehicles had a bar along the bottom below were your ammo sigh is and it had sort of a gear change bar graph.....

legacy-CH405
08-02-2003, 07:19 AM
Zen->
1. That video wasn't a leak.
2. That wasn't the final hud. :)

legacy-RetodonIIX
08-02-2003, 09:13 AM
Actually I thought the km/h was pretty much used all over the globe, except for America, and probably England.
Either way, I think a simple graphical representation, like a bar, would make more sense.
It would be pretty hard to translate Unreal units into metres.
Also if you'd try and do that, you'd find out people on foot would be REALLY fast.
It simply doesn't add anything, so I'm expecting bars, of circles, or something.

Something I still wonder about is another vehicles thing.
If a vehicle blows up, do the people in it die, or do they just exit the wreckage unscathed?
Speaking of wreckage... will there even be some, or will the model be deleted amongts explosions?
(It doesn't seem like that currently.)
Maybe the driver and gunners lose some health, but not all?

legacy-zenmaster86
08-02-2003, 12:08 PM
1. That video wasn't a leak.
2. That wasn't the final hud.

Realy:p the vid is only avalable in some places it was not an officialy released material and every one on the Epic crew has sed it was not realy suposed to be shown in that form so what would you call a leak?

2. That wasn't the final hud.(Thanks I could not have guessed:) all that statment ment was for every one who hasent seen or has sean the video, was to point out that that looks to be the option their their working on for the "Final HUD")

Did that give clarity to my post?;)

legacy-191
08-02-2003, 01:29 PM
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310428

legacy-Mort_Q
08-02-2003, 02:25 PM
the vid is only avalable in some places it was not an officialy released material and ...

What places would that be !? I've not seen it.

legacy-zenmaster86
08-02-2003, 03:46 PM
What places would that be !? I've not seen it.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ut2004/media.html

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/search.php?s=1&keywords=2004+video&where=news&time=all&location=both&per_page=20

legacy-191
08-02-2003, 04:19 PM
It has been a month since the last screens, maybe it is time to pleasure us with some more ?

The first screens came out June 5th

The second set of screens came out July 5th

The third set of screens will come out August 5th ???

legacy-CH405
08-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Calm down 191! We just got an uber cool sniper piccy :D
I propose a new picture this friday Epic. :o :up:

Yknow, in a couple of weeks, it would be wise to start sending out weapon renders. That would kick serious ass. Well then again, maybe next month. Oh and some intro news would be sweet :D

legacy-191
08-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Calm down 191! We just got an uber cool sniper piccy :D
I propose a new picture this friday Epic. :o :up:

Yknow, in a couple of weeks, it would be wise to start sending out weapon renders. That would kick serious ass. Well then again, maybe next month. Oh and some intro news would be sweet :D

yea but that sniper picture wasn't an official screen, it was a scan from an article, so that doesn't count as an official screen given by Epic.

I guess i am just so much (?) looking forward to Unreal Tournament 2004, so i can't calm down, there is white foam running from my mouth, i am going mad !!! aaaaaahh !!!

o.k got that outta my system.... sorry about that.

legacy-CH405
08-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Well if you had been here before ut2k3, I would have understood your anticipation. But now, most people that wanna see ut2k4 are keeping a lid on their mouth since they dont want what happened to ut2k3 to happen to 2k4. So basically I'm saying dont get your hopes too high. Ut2k4 will rock. But just dont expect too much :)

legacy-191
08-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Well if you had been here before ut2k3, I would have understood your anticipation. But now, most people that wanna see ut2k4 are keeping a lid on their mouth since they dont want what happened to ut2k3 to happen to 2k4. So basically I'm saying dont get your hopes too high. Ut2k4 will rock. But just dont expect too much :)

Yeah, but i love UT2K3 so i cannot be disappointed :)

win win situation.

legacy-CH405
08-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Hehe true.

But have you noticed, the most recent posts have mainly been only either you, me or Zenmaster86. :confused:
We are the trolls of this thread :D ;)

legacy-191
08-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Hehe true.

But have you noticed, the most recent posts have mainly been only either you, me or Zenmaster86. :confused:
We are the trolls of this thread :D ;)

Hehe, that is true. We are the most Loyal UT2K4 fanbase i think :D

legacy-Kabhal
08-02-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by 191
Hehe, that is true. We are the most Loyal UT2K4 fanbase i think :D Nah, you guys just have too much time on your hands. ;)

legacy-CH405
08-02-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Kabhal
Nah, you guys just have too much time on your hands. ;)

He speaketh teh truth :cry:

Ok I think we are starting to stray off topic here.:confused:
Now lets see, hmmm

Oh yeah! Ok you know in that pic with the Sniper Rifle, WTF was that big gun behind him!! :eek:
I mean, is that a turret(which it probably is) and will we be able to use that baby?

legacy-zenmaster86
08-02-2003, 10:15 PM
only either you, me or Zenmaster86.

Ha:) trying to get my fealings about 2004/3 heard:) and trying to ask the questions that wernt asked for 2003....

Also that post about having to much time....:D I wish its a strugle to come in hear dayly my hands are calesed and bloody every day I get home at 2 or 3:) I just ran 12 cat 5 cables through pipe and terminated them and got every thing set then got a ditch witch and dug a 40 yard long ditch to the admin to hook into the server.

Just if you were curious about who I am sence I just got back from dinner. I work for/ with my dad at our charter school my dad started most of the time working with S..... the coputer guru;) we help eachother out working on the systems and network and keeping every thing runing......we are here www.rogerbacon.net ...I work with the computers and work out side working on the buildings and stuff for the teachers..Its been a realy enlightening experence and the area we started the school which is about 35 min from were we live is very rurul and on the low income side:) so a school like us which is better than most private schools that is funded as a public is a dimond in the rough so to speak;) our teaching method gets kids to read in kindergarden....the whole school is computer oreinted, their are projecters in the class rooms where they can watch presintations and lesons and use more thuro teaching aids such as interactive soft wear to minipulate the globe for geography ect. high tek end of schooling:)The area link gives more of an idea of nc around us....the sight explanes what a charter school is.....and one thing thats entertaining is that over half our staff are retired or reserve military:D Great people..

Sorry if this is out of line just felt like telling you about my job......never ending but extreemly rewarding and reading this takes up time untill 2004 comes out in a blase of Glory and carnage;)

legacy-CH405
08-03-2003, 08:14 AM
That sounds like a very rewarding job Zenmaster86:) :up:
Yeh, we need something to talk about till Mark/Cliffy/Dr.Sin show up again.

And you didn't discuss what I said about the sniper rifle ;)

legacy-191
08-03-2003, 08:40 AM
o.k hmm the sniper rifle...

will it have a zoom like in real life or like the zoom on the LG, a computer generated zoom image. I wonder.

legacy-Shuri
08-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Hopefully a zoom like on the CUT2 sniper.

legacy-191
08-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Hopefully a zoom like on the CUT2 sniper.

and what does that look like ?

legacy-NuForce
08-03-2003, 11:48 AM
I’m sure all of the Mark Rein worshipers are going to slam me for this post!

Let's see,

In UT03 we have a map editor that crashes and Marks reply is "Unfortunately I don't think there are any significant editor changes until the next generation of the engine shows up in a few years with a whole new (albeit familiar) editor." That's not real encouraging for map builders who continue to TRY to build new maps for UT2003....I'm surprised that Aggressor accepted that answer positively. Aggressor, this is my interpretation of what Mark said "the editor is screwed up and we're not going to fix it. Be happy with what you have." Basically, you're going to continue having lockup problems when you start building Onslaught maps and Epic doesn't care. They are not going to spend the resources to fix it. You'll have to just design your own map editor or hope someone does if you want one that works.

What is wrong with you bunch sheep. It's ok to post opinions that disagree with Mark. If Mark/Epic thinks that everything is great we're going to get another disappointing game. Let him know what's going on. That's what this messageboard is all about.

Expectation from the UT community was very high for the release of UT03. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a great disappointment to many UT99 fans. The majority of the complaints centered around the recharging translocator (with no option to turn off the recharger), the crappy sniping rifle/(lightning gun) the ridiculous Shieldgun instead of the impact hammer and worst of all the disappointing QuakeIII movements. All with no option to give the game original UT feel. The good things that can be said for UT03 are the fantastic graphics and stable engine.

In my little UT universe I belong to 2 clans that consist of over 50 players. Out of that number there are only about 8 of them that play UT03 with any consistency. Both clans had UT03 servers, but discontinued them due to lack of interest. They are still running a total of 4 UT99 servers Those are 4 servers that would be running in UT03 if the game would have met the expectations of the fans.

Now Epic is going to roll out a game that sounds cool on paper (messageboards) but is it really going to be a BF1942 want-to-be with a different make-overs? I truly hope not.

Mark described some really cool features. I think the voice over IP feature, active voice commands, movers...planes, tanks, jeeps, etc...are going to be a cool addition. I just hope that these features can also be incorporated into CTF, DM, TDM and BR. If the new game only consist of Onslaught and Assault then I don't think I'm going to be interested regardless of the cool stuff.

I'll keep my expectations low this time and hope to be surprise.

Sincerly,
Nu

PS

I strongly suggest that Epic fix the map editor!

legacy-191
08-03-2003, 12:14 PM
No Significant changes doesn't mean that they will not fix bugs.

I agree with some of your stuff, but you have to understand. People that love UT2003 will really love UT2004. It is understandable that UT2003 fans are very happy with a new instalment in the Unreal Tournament franchise.

And for only agreeing with Mark Rein, that is not entirely true. And since alsmost nothing has been said about UT2004 to dissagree with it is hard to dissagree with him. I also can understand that when you didn't like UT2003 that you are very carefull with hoping that this game will rock.

But give the UT2003 fans a break. :up:

To get back on the sniper rifle, i have a few questions:

1 ] Should it be made possible to aim when you are not i scope mode. I mean that you should have a cross-hair when walking.

2 ] Should it be able to rapid fire, like the sniper in HALO2 (if you saw the movie)

legacy-NuForce
08-03-2003, 01:02 PM
No Significant changes doesn't mean that they will not fix bugs. Mark should have stated that instead of stating that the editor will not change until the next engine is released in a couple of years. He did not say that Epic was working on a fix to the editor problems. I truely hope there is a fix....SOON!

I agree with some of your stuff, but you have to understand. People that love UT2003 will really love UT2004. It is understandable that UT2003 fans are very happy with a new instalment in the Unreal Tournament franchise.

And for only agreeing with Mark Rein, that is not entirely true. And since alsmost nothing has been said about UT2004 to dissagree with it is hard to dissagree with him. I also can understand that when you didn't like UT2003 that you are very carefull with hoping that this game will rock.

But give the UT2003 fans a break.191,
I know that there are some hard core UT03 fans out there and I don't mean to direct any offense at them by my opinion. I personally think UT03 is an OK game but it's not as exciting as UT99 (in my opinion). The point I was trying to make is that there are still a bunch of hard core UT99 fans that feel alienated by UT03 and Epic hasn't done anything that shows they really care about that....in my opinion

If Epic would have release UT03 with an option to configure the game with UT99 style weapons and movements. Example, there’s an option to leave the translocator on or turn it off. Why couldn’t there be an option to have the translocator work without recharging?

Take it a step further, why couldn’t there be an option to simply choose weapon type? For example, an option to choose between the lightning gun and a UT99 style sniping rifle. I don’t know of many players that feel the lightning gun is an improvement over the sniping rifle and same can be said for the shock rifle.

If these options were available when the game was released I doubt seriously that we would be having this discussion.

What I have been seeing lately is UT99 players switching over to BF1942 and other games rather than UT03. There is something wrong with that picture. This saddens me because I can see that UT03 could have been more appealing to the UT99'ers than it is.....just my opinion

All-in-all, I believe that Epic is a good company with some very talented folks. If they keep their ears locked into the voice of their customers we are going to see some good things come out down the pipe.

Keep reading and replying to the messageboards Mark Rien. All of my criticisms of UT03 are not meant to be pot-shots. I hope they are taken with a constructive mind set. I hope Onslaught turns out to be a winner!

Thanks,
Nu

legacy-Mort_Q
08-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by NuForce
I’m sure all of the Mark Rein worshipers are going to slam me for this post!

Let's see,

In UT03 we have a map editor that crashes and Marks reply is "Unfortunately I don't think there are any significant editor changes until the next generation of the engine shows up in a few years with a whole new (albeit familiar) editor." That's not real encouraging for map builders who continue to TRY to build new maps for UT2003....I'm surprised that Aggressor accepted that answer positively. Aggressor, this is my interpretation of what Mark said "the editor is screwed up and we're not going to fix it. Be happy with what you have." Basically, you're going to continue having lockup problems when you start building Onslaught maps and Epic doesn't care. They are not going to spend the resources to fix it. You'll have to just design your own map editor or hope someone does if you want one that works.

You are adding too much spin to what was said. It is not that they don't care, it is just that it doesn't make economical sense to have someone spend the time and energy to fix the problems on the editor.

Their mappers know the work arounds.
The vast majority of the purchasing public are never going to use it.
There is a next generation engine in the works

What is wrong with you bunch sheep. It's ok to post opinions that disagree with Mark. If Mark/Epic thinks that everything is great we're going to get another disappointing game. Let him know what's going on. That's what this messageboard is all about.

I post my opinions. They just don't happen to be the same as yours... there are just as many anti-EPIC sheep on this board as fan-boys... or whatever name people call the people that don't agree with their opinion-of-the-day.

Expectation from the UT community was very high for the release of UT03. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a great disappointment to many UT99 fans. The majority of the complaints centered around the recharging translocator (with no option to turn off the recharger), the crappy sniping rifle/(lightning gun) the ridiculous Shieldgun instead of the impact hammer and worst of all the disappointing QuakeIII movements. All with no option to give the game original UT feel. The good things that can be said for UT03 are the fantastic graphics and stable engine.

At least you used the word opinion. Everything you listed is subjective.

Some hate the xloc altogether, some lthink the changes make it tolerable, some think the changes ruined it... there is no consensus.

How is the Shieldgun more ridiculous than the Impact Hammer?

Never played any Quake stuff... so I can't comment on that.

In my little UT universe I belong to 2 clans that consist of over 50 players. Out of that number there are only about 8 of them that play UT03 with any consistency. Both clans had UT03 servers, but discontinued them due to lack of interest. They are still running a total of 4 UT99 servers. Those are 4 servers that would be running in UT03 if the game would have met the expectations of the fans.

Now Epic is going to roll out a game that sounds cool on paper (messageboards) but is it really going to be a BF1942 want-to-be with a different make-overs? I truly hope not.

You said it sounds cool on paper... then you say that it IS nothing but a BF1942 wannabe... if it sounds cool on paper, then what's the problem? If it is similar to another game, what's the problem? It's a FPS wargame... it is necessarily going to have similarities to other FPS wargames.

Mark described some really cool features. I think the voice over IP feature, active voice commands, movers...planes, tanks, jeeps, etc...are going to be a cool addition. I just hope that these features can also be incorporated into CTF, DM, TDM and BR. If the new game only consist of Onslaught and Assault then I don't think I'm going to be interested regardless of the cool stuff.

I'll keep my expectations low this time and hope to be surprise.

Sincerly,
Nu

The new stuff will require some special maps I suspect... the current ones won't work well with tanks I suspect.

PS

I strongly suggest that Epic fix the map editor!

I hope they do, but I understand why there probably won't be any significant changes.

legacy-191
08-03-2003, 02:02 PM
NuForce: I think that when you make a game for a relative small fan base, you aren't going to have much selling points for your game. If they made a Graphical better UT99 what would the selling point be: Play a 5 year old game with updated graphics ?
The truth is you can't stop progress, and seeing the fact that UT03 was on the 1st place of best selling games for 3 months it think it didn't sell well, so in that perspective they did a great job. I agree with the fact that the online fanbase is somewhat small and slow, not many online players and such. But the fact remains that UT2003 is a good game, if there wasn't a UT99 people would be all over UT2003 and a lot more people would play it. Most UT99 players expected a better looking UT99 and that just doesn't work for sales figures. In these times, where games are comming out every day (wel almost), you need to be original and new, nobody is waiting for an graphical update to an old game, except the UT99 gamers.

I didn't take any offense, you are the first person that i see, that criticezes (?) UT03 normaly and doesn't dump all over it. I too think Epic is a good company, never did i see a company with so much love for their product and their buyers. The three posts Mark Rein made in this forum, are three posts more then most company's make to help their customers.

I really hope UT2004 will do much better then UT2003 online and that it will please most UT99 gamers.

legacy-zenmaster86
08-03-2003, 03:36 PM
and what does that look like ?

Hazed on the sides and a laser dot in the center,not being able to fire wile not in zoom or while crouching is a great idea for a classicly designed rifle:) :up:

Of corce they will be in the classic game types....not in the start their may be one or two maps in CTF or DM that have some vehicles I can promice you the first bonus pack will have some DM maps with some vehicles sooner than later their will be official CTF and DM maps with vehicles, I bet with in the first week their will be some custom user maps with them:)
Expectation from the UT community was very high for the release of UT03. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a great disappointment to many UT99 fans.

I agree 2003 was no were near up to par with what I expected...But I think the reason for this was the fact that Epic was building the core of the engine while they were making content which led to consistancy isues and took alot of time away from work on the actual game I think 2003 was focused onthe core of the game and 2004 will be focused on game play I think 2004 will be a drastic change from 2003 All their doing is polishing and making new content and they now have alot of experience with the new engine:D :up: 2004 is going to be crasy..

I may be disapointed but 2004 looks like they are returning back to UTs roots and the feal and hardcore play.....2003 was a rush job 2004 is what every one was expecting with some new stuff...

legacy-191
08-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Hazed on the sides and a laser dot in the center,not being able to fire wile not in zoom or while crouching is a great idea for a classicly designed rifle:) :up:

Yea i watched the chaos UT movie, that sniper rifle looks old-school but the zoom looks kinda high-tech-like, i really like that. I think the people at Epic/DE will make it really nice.

legacy-NuForce
08-03-2003, 04:19 PM
You are adding too much spin to what was said. It is not that they don't care, it is just that it doesn't make economical sense to have someone spend the time and energy to fix the problems on the editor.

1. Their mappers know the work arounds.
2. The vast majority of the purchasing public are never going to use it.
3. There is a next generation engine in the works Spin!!!!!! Please, I pretty much quoted Marks comment. The easier a map editor is to use the more likely you’ll have more people using it and more quality maps to play. For a game like this to be successful one of two things need to happen, Either Epic needs to start popping a lot out new maps for free or the map editor needs to be easy to use and the bugs need to be fixed. You mean to tell me you don’t see the economic sense in this????? Please…having Epic staff create a bunch of maps that may or may not be popular or letting the purchasing public do it. The smart money goes with the purchasing public using a good reliable map editor.

1. Work arounds???? If the editor is buggy, like this one is, then even hardcore Mappers are going to get frustrated and will be less likely to use it. Do I really need to go to different messageboard and copy all of the complaints about the map editor here to show you that there is a problem that should be addressed??? I don’t think so.
2. No, the vast majority of the purchasing public is not going to use it, but you definitely want the vast majority of mappers to use it. As I stated above...It makes economic sense to fix the bugs.
3. Of course there’s a “next generation” engine in the works! The company would die if they didn’t plan for the future. Even though I don’t care for many of the aspects of UT03 I never tried to imply that Epic was a short sited company. Epic still has a good reputation with us gamers and I look forward to the “next generation” engine.

I wonder what kind of machine I'll be running in 2 years.

Nu

legacy-CH405
08-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Whoa there boys!
How dare you ask to take off the ability to shoot while not zoomed!
That is purely insane .............

Wait.

Ah I see the logistics of it now :D

I have an idea!
Why dont we reduce the zooming capabilities of the Lightning Gun and increase the zooming capabilities of the Sniper Rifle!
It makes perfect sense then!

Epic if you know whats good for this game, please go through with this. :cool: :up: It will make everyone happy :D

legacy-191
08-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Whoa there boys!
How dare you ask to take off the ability to shoot while not zoomed!
That is purely insane .............

Wait.

Ah I see the logistics of it now :D

I have an idea!
Why dont we reduce the zooming capabilities of the Lightning Gun and increase the zooming capabilities of the Sniper Rifle!
It makes perfect sense then!

Epic if you know whats good for this game, please go through with this. :cool: :up: It will make everyone happy :D

you should be able to shoot without sniping, but you should not be able to aim without sniping. A sniper rifle shoulb be just that, a sniper rifle.

legacy-Mort_Q
08-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Spin!!!!!! Please, I pretty much quoted Marks comment.

You quoted Mark as saying:

"Unfortunately I don't think there are any significant editor changes until the next generation of the engine shows up in a few years with a whole new (albeit familiar) editor."

Which you spun into:

"the editor is screwed up and we're not going to fix it. Be happy with what you have."

Whatever.

legacy-SB]ShadowDrone
08-03-2003, 07:52 PM
I only need one or two fresh screenshots to live another week :D

legacy-CH405
08-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Yes, more screenshots would be nice. :( :up:

legacy-zenmaster86
08-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Would be nice if their were set days they would release stuff like the 5th of every month:) one day away;) :up: :D

legacy-CH405
08-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Would be nice if their were set days they would release stuff like the 5th of every month:) one day away;) :up: :D
Nice Idea!!!! :eek: :D :up:

legacy-191
08-04-2003, 03:57 AM

then we'd have to wait a whole month everytime, anyways the hype machine would be rolling pretty soon. I can't wait :)

legacy-CH405
08-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Man, I wont be able to get into ut2k4 much :(
I mean with Uni n all coming up, who knows whether I will have time to even play!
Degree's can really take a LOT of your time!
Hopefully I may get a good schedule and have a day of in the working week. As for weekends, I should try and make it:
Saturday work
Sunday PLAY :D

I have to go to the cinema now to watch Terminator 3 :p

Yay! I have a social life again!

For now..........:confused:

legacy-191
08-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Let's blow some life in this thread once more, i feel like spamming it.

Lets try to come up with names for the vehicles for UT2004. That could be fun, or not ?

legacy-Jermaine_X
08-04-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by 191
uk uses mph so not all european people

legacy-191
08-04-2003, 05:33 PM

UK always want to be different from europe....

legacy-Dark_Spectre
08-04-2003, 05:43 PM

Really? I thought everyone but the US had switched to metric by now.

legacy-CH405
08-04-2003, 07:59 PM
Really? I thought everyone but the US had switched to metric by now.

We like our Miles Per Hour. :o

legacy-SB]ShadowDrone
08-04-2003, 08:11 PM
I prefer a RKPH(Road Kills Per Hour)
The lower you are, the faster you go. :D

legacy-CH405
08-04-2003, 08:24 PM
good idea :eek:

legacy-SB]ShadowDrone
08-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Mark....

we need a new screenshot :D

legacy-RetodonIIX
08-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by 191
you should be able to shoot without sniping, but you should not be able to aim without sniping. A sniper rifle shoulb be just that, a sniper rifle.

Aiming is the same as pointing in the direction of where you want to go in this game, so you can't disable that of course.
I think you mean you need to be looking into the scope before you can shoot.
That would be unrealistic, since how would the gun know, though that could be explained by something sci-fi, and also: who cares!

The important thing is, that the switch from normal (trigger locked by gun AI or whatever) to scope should take some time to set up, because otherwise people would press the alternate fire and the primary fire all within 0.25 s (they manage when boost-dodging too) and basically still use it as a normal weapon.

So... new screenshots?
I want to see what the PCs and nodes will look like.
(Thinking about ONS maps inside large buildings now for some reason... could theoretically work.)

legacy-191
08-05-2003, 11:41 AM
i mean that the cross-hair should not be vissible without zooming.

-=¤willhaven¤=-
08-05-2003, 11:59 AM
UT03 we have a map editor that crashes and Marks reply is "Unfortunately I don't think there are any significant editor changes until the next generation of the engine shows up in a few years with a whole new (albeit familiar) editor." That's not real encouraging for map builders who continue to TRY to build new maps for UT2003....I'm surprised that Aggressor accepted that answer positively.

the editor is fine IMO...

i almost NEVER have crashes unless i do something stupid and impossible with the art assets...

doing bad things with materials that are impossible, doing incorrect importing of meshes... things like that

i NEVER have crashes when rebuilding or, in general, when im editing.

then again, im on XP and its reaally stable on XP

legacy-191
08-05-2003, 12:04 PM
damn i hoped that today we would get to see some new UT2004 screenshots, seeing as all the visuals were released on the 5th of the month.

legacy-Shuri
08-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Still early over there...

fuegerstef
08-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 191

But then there should be no crosshair for any weapon that doesn't zoom... ...and that would be not so good... :p

legacy-191
08-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by fuegerstef
But then there should be no crosshair for any weapon that doesn't zoom... ...and that would be not so good... :p

no only for the sniper rifle, just like the sniper in the FaceOFF mod.

fuegerstef
08-05-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by 191
no only for the sniper rifle, just like the sniper in the FaceOFF mod.

But why???
Why may players have a crosshair for the ShockRifle or the Link, but not for the Sniper...???

legacy-191
08-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by fuegerstef
But why???
Why may players have a crosshair for the ShockRifle or the Link, but not for the Sniper...???

because snipers are strong and should be just sniper rifles, adds to the gameplay in a positive way. Adds a new level of strategy.

fuegerstef
08-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 191
because snipers are strong and should be just sniper rifles, adds to the gameplay in a positive way. Adds a new level of strategy.

No, it doesn't add something, IMHO (<-note), it substracts something... ...especially when you are a good aimer.
A reduced fire-rate as the LG has is better... ...again, IMHO.

legacy-CH405
08-05-2003, 03:34 PM
Ut2k4 has only two options in terms of 'sniper weapons'.

The LG and Sniper Rifle can co-exist in game modes.
The LG and Sniper Rifle cannot co-exist in game modes.

Now, for the LG and Sniper Rifle to co-exist, they have to be different to each other. If the LG stays as is and Sniper Rifle stays as it was in UT, everyone would use the sniper rifle only! The LG would get neglected! So the Sniper Rifle needs to be used in a different way. To ensure that each weapon has its own unique use, I proposed earlier, that the LG be a non-zooming weapon and the Sniper Rifle be a zooming weapon, for long range attacking.
Please take this seriously guys! That includes you too Epic!
For both of them to co-exist, this must be done. There is simply no otherway.
So stop argueing about it.:up:

legacy-191
08-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Ut2k4 has only two options in terms of 'sniper weapons'.

The LG and Sniper Rifle can co-exist in game modes.
The LG and Sniper Rifle cannot co-exist in game modes.

Now, for the LG and Sniper Rifle to co-exist, they have to be different to each other. If the LG stays as is and Sniper Rifle stays as it was in UT, everyone would use the sniper rifle only! The LG would get neglected! So the Sniper Rifle needs to be used in a different way. To ensure that each weapon has its own unique use, I proposed earlier, that the LG be a non-zooming weapon and the Sniper Rifle be a zooming weapon, for long range attacking.
Please take this seriously guys! That includes you too Epic!
For both of them to co-exist, this must be done. There is simply no otherway.
So stop argueing about it.:up:

my money is still on the not coexist part. I think the sniper will be an onslaught only weapon, or maybe a assault weapon.

But until epic tells us, we don't know for sure.....

legacy-CH405
08-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 191
my money is still on the not coexist part. I think the sniper will be a onslaught only weapong, or maybe a assault weapon.

I personally think that that is the best option out. Who knows. Only time can tell :)

legacy-191
08-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Who knows. Only time can tell :)

Or Mark Rein, *hint hint*

legacy-CH405
08-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 191
Or Mark Rein, *hint hint*

*HINT*HINT*

That could work? :confused:

legacy-191
08-06-2003, 07:25 AM
still nothing, i think the hinting didn't work.

you people at Epic should better be working on UT2004 ! :p

legacy-CH405
08-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, no one has posted here for today!!

Incredible...
anyways, thought I'd bring up some questions.

Ok firstly, what types of themes will the levels in ut2k4 be based on?
So far, in ut2k3, we've had:
Egyptian,
Futuristic,
Ruins/Old Places.

I think it would really rock, if Epic introduced some new themes :).
It would bring some new found life to the game.
I know that the team are working on a space-based map, any other interesting themes?

Secondly, will any 'new' movement techniques be introduced to ut2k4? I mean, in the jump from ut to ut2k3 there were many new moves. I think there should be 1 or 2 new moves for ut2k4.

Thirdly, I was just wondering, it would be nice to have an actual 'weighting' in the world. I mean so that you can actually feel the inertia while moving. I hope the vehicles will have such physics, and perhaps even the players to some extent. Especially since people find the movement a bit TOO unrealistic. I think MORE inertia while moving would definitely, demand a greater degree of skill from the player. At least this way, you cant do a walldodge/boostdodge/dogejump immediately after dodging. Or at least something along the lines of that.
It would be interesting to see what Epic come up with for ut2k4.:up:

legacy-NuForce
08-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Especially since people find the movement a bit TOO unrealistic. I think MORE inertia while moving would definitely, demand a greater degree of skill from the player. Sounds like you are describing QuakeIII. I don't care for all that strafe-runninng stuff. Translocator is much better.

legacy-191
08-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Well, no one has posted here for today!!

Incredible...
anyways, thought I'd bring up some questions.

Ok firstly, what types of themes will the levels in ut2k4 be based on?
So far, in ut2k3, we've had:
Egyptian,
Futuristic,
Ruins/Old Places.

I think it would really rock, if Epic introduced some new themes :).
It would bring some new found life to the game.
I know that the team are working on a space-based map, any other interesting themes?

Secondly, will any 'new' movement techniques be introduced to ut2k4? I mean, in the jump from ut to ut2k3 there were many new moves. I think there should be 1 or 2 new moves for ut2k4.

Thirdly, I was just wondering, it would be nice to have an actual 'weighting' in the world. I mean so that you can actually feel the inertia while moving. I hope the vehicles will have such physics, and perhaps even the players to some extent. Especially since people find the movement a bit TOO unrealistic. I think MORE inertia while moving would definitely, demand a greater degree of skill from the player. At least this way, you cant do a walldodge/boostdodge/dogejump immediately after dodging. Or at least something along the lines of that.
It would be interesting to see what Epic come up with for ut2k4.:up:

You forgot HELL as a theme (DM-Inferno).

What also would be cool is some kind of country teams as models. With this i mean,

team Japan: That could be robots in a japanese style.

team America: That could be Brock kinda figures.

kinda like you have in UT2003 with team egypt so to speak.

Themes for maps are cool to, if they are not all the same as in UT2003, we have seen enough egyption kinda maps.

to the new moves part, that would kinda kill compatibility me thinks, so my guess is they wont do that kinda thing.

As for weapons weighting, that would just suck. This is UNreal Tournament and not REAL Tournament.

But like we always say: time will tell us.

legacy-191
08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
BIG THANKS TO EPIC FOR RELEASING THOSE SCREENSHOTS !!!

:up: :up: :up:

Man i cant wait anymore for this game to come out !

EDIT: thanks to CliffyB to for that interview, i enjoyed reading it !

legacy-Mort_Q
08-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Loosecontroll6 (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=311167)
New info up at gamespy with a 1st look at the Necris and Xan's Posse and some huge guns!.

:Info:
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/august03/ut2004pc/

:Screenshots:
http://www.gamespy.com/previews/august03/ut2004pc/screenshots.shtml

:CliffyB:
http://www.gamespy.com/interviews/august03/cliffyb/

:cool:

I don't think there is a Necris there, but I figured I'd add the links to this thread.

legacy-RetodonIIX
08-08-2003, 02:57 PM
No, there's no Necris.
I think the guy that mentioned one, was thinking about the robot chick.

Originally posted by 191

People put up clocks next to their computers to time powerups, so they'll just put a little bit of tape or something on their monitors to still be able to aim easily.

legacy-191
08-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by RetodonIIX
People put up clocks next to their computers to time powerups, so they'll just put a little bit of tape or something on their monitors to still be able to aim easily.

people really do that ?!

that sounds crazy to me :confused:

legacy-IR-Jasdave
08-08-2003, 05:30 PM

Sounds interesting. :up:
Is "team" a designated word? So if i wanted to give my whole team the same order, it would be like
"Team Cover base"
?
But what if you want 3 bots to do the same thing?
"Charlie cover base"
"Alpha cover base"
"Bob cover base"
Heh seems kinda long, but what ever. Voice is pretty fast compared to text- easier too.
Glad to hear this might come about.

legacy-Mort_Q
08-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by IR-Jasdave
Sounds interesting. :up:
Is "team" a designated word? So if i wanted to give my whole team the same order, it would be like
"Team Cover base"
?
But what if you want 3 bots to do the same thing?
"Charlie cover base"
"Alpha cover base"
"Bob cover base"
Heh seems kinda long, but what ever. Voice is pretty fast compared to text- easier too.
Glad to hear this might come about.

It would seem logical that they would have something that would address the whole team since they do have that for the orders menu ( the A all selection). Whether it is "team' or "all" or something altogether different I don't know...

I don't think they will allow you to call on "Bob," but rather, the players (and bots) will have a NATO alphabet (http://www.nor.com.au/community/sarc/phonetic.htm#NATO) handle...

i.e. Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Delta, Echo, etc.

Checkout this thread (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=311136) for more information.

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
08-09-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by 191
people really do that ?!

that sounds crazy to me :confused:
Blue tack works a treat. :D ( Offline :mad::up: )

legacy-Mort_Q
08-11-2003, 04:21 PM
New CliffyB UT2004 Interview

Originally posted by MadJackMcJock (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=311885)

Not much new here, but worth a read:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=94950

Just keeping this thread up-to-date on UT2004 Information.

legacy-madest
08-12-2003, 07:11 AM
I don't like vhicels either
or if EpiC wanted to create game with them they should call it different but not Unreal Tournament !!!

I know experimenting with game types may win more fanns but you allso my ruin game and lost even more ...

legacy-Kabhal
08-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by madest
I don't like vhicels either
or if EpiC wanted to create game with them they should call it different but not Unreal Tournament !!!

I know experimenting with game types may win more fanns but you allso my ruin game and lost even more ... You remind me of some old woman that doesn't like a certain radio station so she complains and complains instead of just *gasp* changing the damn station.

Onslaught and Assault are two new GAMETYPES that include vehicles. If you don't happen to like vehicles then you don't have to play those gametypes. There will still be new stuff for the "regular" gametypes as well.

legacy-191
08-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Onslaught and Assault are two new GAMETYPES that include vehicles. If you don't happen to like vehicles then you don't have to play those gametypes. There will still be new stuff for the "regular" gametypes as well.

:up: they are working to improve the other gametypes also, this game should be good for everyone. Vehicles are a really good idea, i am glad they made new gametypes for them.

legacy-IR-Jasdave
08-12-2003, 05:21 PM
i think that the sniper rifle should have a cross hair unscoped, like normal UT. Making it like the sniper rifles in Tac Ops or other mods is slightly useless. people would just "aim-dot" (adding a dot to the screen)
I suggest that while unzoomed/unscoped the accuract be as poor as the rifle or other gun.
(Alteast, if they do use no cross hair when un-scoped approach, then use this method as well so people don't always use a dot on their screen. )

When Scoped the accuracy should be like the normal UT sniper rifle's.
I would prefer the sniper rifle over LG because no one knows where u shot from (me hopes epic doesnt add tracer fire for sniper rifles...) for snipeing.
But if i didn't want to restrict my time to snipeing i would go for the LG
if i wasn't sure wheather i wanted to snipe or go into combat, then the LG has coverage over the 2. Good (not great, because people know where u shot from) snipeing capabilities, and good (not as great because it's not as automatic as the rifle) close range combat, which would have the pro over the sniper rifle because it's just as accurate unscoped as scoped.
.if the my above plan was proposed, you get an evenly laid out system between the two.

Sniper Rifle
bad - not as accurate when scoped
good - no one knows where you shot from
LG
good - accurate when scoped/unscoped
bad - not good for snipeing, people know where you are.

legacy-madest
08-13-2003, 09:10 PM
[i]
Onslaught and Assault are two new GAMETYPES that include vehicles. If you don't happen to like vehicles then you don't have to play those gametypes. There will still be new stuff for the "regular" gametypes as well. [/B]

i just cant understand why these vehicles cant be put in game as mutators ???
i dont like playing DathMach with fking cars plins and... who knows what more (space shuttle maybe)

i think they should work with the new game hardware has gone faster and maybe now they could get out with something like they showed in GeforceFX presentation...

I know epic is behind community and supports it but making UT2k4 as a new game?? Bbut something like Ut2k4 it wont look like new game for me... They should do it as ä bonus pack or something.Even im guite big fann having all the unreal titles on PC I can't see myself payng for Ut2k4.
Can you ??

legacy-Kabhal
08-13-2003, 10:22 PM
I know epic is behind community and supports it but making UT2k4 as a new game?? Bbut something like Ut2k4 it wont look like new game for me... They should do it as ä bonus pack or something.Even im guite big fann having all the unreal titles on PC I can't see myself payng for Ut2k4.
Can you ?? You're absolutely right! UT2k4 should be A FREE BONUS PACK!! :mad: I PAID GOOD MONEY for the very =FIRST= UNREAL game! And frankly I can't believe they made me PAY for UT1 when it should have been free FFS!! :mad: :mad: And then... THEN they had the audacity to make me PAY for UT2k3!! WTF were they thinking??!! :mad::mad::mad: And now?? NOW THEY WANT ME TO PAY FOR UT2K4??!!!!11111 This is ridiculous!! WHERE DO THEY GET OFF CHARGING ME FOR UT2K4 WHEN I ALREADY BOUGHT UNREAL???!!!111 :mad::mad::mad::mad:

legacy-madest
08-14-2003, 01:11 AM
You're absolutely right! UT2k4 should be A FREE BONUS PACK!! :mad: I PAID GOOD MONEY for the very =FIRST= UNREAL game! And frankly I can't believe they made me PAY for UT1 when it should have been free FFS!! :mad: :mad: And then... THEN they had the audacity to make me PAY for UT2k3!! WTF were they thinking??!! :mad::mad::mad: And now?? NOW THEY WANT ME TO PAY FOR UT2K4??!!!!11111 This is ridiculous!! WHERE DO THEY GET OFF CHARGING ME FOR UT2K4 WHEN I ALREADY BOUGHT UNREAL???!!!111 :mad::mad::mad::mad:

NOno i didnt mean that
You have to see that differences in game with UT2k3 and Ut2k3 are minimal they are mostly the same game !!!
Even UT2k3 has testmap with car try and youll see ...
So no meaning to make it as new game... Its just not enuf new stuff ...

legacy-Kabhal
08-14-2003, 01:37 AM
NOno i didnt mean that
You have to see that differences in game with UT2k3 and Ut2k3 are minimal they are mostly the same game !!!
Even UT2k3 has testmap with car try and youll see ...
So no meaning to make it as new game... Its just not enuf new stuff ... I assume that you meant the "differences in game with ut2k3 and ut2k4 are minimal they are mostly the same game !!!"

To which I would reply, you have =never= played UT2k4 so how do you know how different the two are? And even if you're right, and they =aren't= that much different, there is =no one= FORCING you to buy the game! Right? If you think UT2k4 is not worth it, then *gasp* DON'T BUY IT!! :eek: This isn't rocket science here man... work with me. :p

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
08-14-2003, 06:20 AM
i dont like playing DathMach with fking cars plins and... who knows what more (space shuttle maybe)
There will be NO vehicles in deathmatch.

legacy-Mort_Q
08-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by §uper-]V[oose
There will be NO vehicles in deathmatch.

That's not to say that you couldn't make a DM map with vehicles in it...

... There are some old Carwars / Autoduel (http://www.sjgames.com/car-wars/) arenas that would make reasonable templates for a deathmatch arena.

Not that I mean to defend madest at all.

legacy-madest
08-14-2003, 04:13 PM
I assume that you meant the "differences in game with ut2k3 and ut2k4 are minimal they are mostly the same game !!!"

To which I would reply, you have =never= played UT2k4 so how do you know how different the two are? And even if you're right, and they =aren't= that much different, there is =no one= FORCING you to buy the game! Right? If you think UT2k4 is not worth it, then *gasp* DON'T BUY IT!! :eek: This isn't rocket science here man... work with me. :p

Im juste too big UT fan to let them ruin it ... I dont like to be dissapointed either but future wont look good from those videos.

legacy-Kabhal
08-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Im juste too big UT fan to let them ruin it ... I dont like to be dissapointed either but future wont look good from those videos. Oh well, that's the future of UT. Take it or leave it. Sorry. Whining about it is not going to change anything because they are too far into it to go back to the past. What are the chances that they are going to suddenly announce that UT2k4 will be UT with updated graphics and no vehicles...? :confused: Not likely.

legacy-191
08-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Im juste too big UT fan to let them ruin it ... I dont like to be dissapointed either but future wont look good from those videos.

I believe they call it progress. If your kind of thinking was the standard in the world everywhere, we would still be living in caves, only the caves would look better. But it is your right to think what you want, so i wont stop you :) :up:

legacy-zenmaster86
08-14-2003, 06:32 PM
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/geno/rotz.gif:weird: http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/geno/rotz.gif LOOK AT MY QUOTE/SIG UNDER NEATH......I have evanglised this forrrrrrr evvvvvvvvorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:( Epic got swamped with 2003, 2004 is all about bringing back or staying true to the Unreal montra....It will be focused entirly on game play:D They are doing every thing they did not get to,could not do,did not finish,did not notice/think about, or were they just had to do rush jobs.......

I can and probably should go on and on.....but find another of my post on this and just read it..........their are probably 8 in this thread alone:D :weird: No more

legacy-Mort_Q
08-15-2003, 02:58 AM
Epic's New Beauty: UT2004 by redef (http://www.planetunreal.com/#PQN436710)

As I’m sure just about everyone expected, Fragmaster and I had the opportunity to visit Epic today and play some UT2004. Coming into it I was genuinely expecting UT2004 to be a smallish add-on sized game. Coming out of It I was grossly mistaken. UT2004 has more content and fun than UT2003 ever did. Additionally, the poor descriptions of the new Onslaught game type do not in any way do it justice. Even as a hardened and skeptical gamer I was blown away by how much fun Onslaught was. It alone, could almost be a game in itself.

At the present time I don’t have enough energy to do a full write-up, but Fragmaster and I will have more for you in coming days. For now a list of some details and a handful of pictures from the Epic offices will have to suffice.

New weapons exclusive to the Onslaught game mode; a sticky grenade launcher, proximity spider mines, AVRil anti-vehicle rocket launcher.
Over 30 new characters (including new races).
Over 90 new maps. :eek:
Revised and done-right Assault game mode. Scenarios include a Starwars-like mission that uses jet-fighters that you must pilot to destroy shield generators, a robot factory where you must take over an enormous ion cannon, a sequel/spinoff to AS-HiSpeed, and many more.
7 new vehicles for use in Onslaught. They include a grenade-launching jeep, the Manta hover craft, a tank, a 3-person truck, a small fighter, a bomber, and a seventh secret vehicle.
Improved weapon and sound effects.
Revised original UT sniper rifle.
HUD improvements.
Several types of different useable gun turrets.
All new game menus.
Voice over IP communication.
Improved networking code (up to 40% more efficient).
Added software rendering (for players with a fast CPU, and poor-quality graphics card or horribly outdated drivers).

Expect proper descriptions and details soon!

Originally posted by Mark Rein (http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4154763#post4154763)

You are correct, that is an approximate total of all the maps that come with the game. But there are more new maps in UT2004 than the entire number of maps that shipped in the box with UT2003.

legacy-madest
08-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Ok oh well let they ruin it then but

can i play regular gametypes (Deathmatch, CTF, TDM, BR, DoubleDOM) from ut2k3 whidout these new vheicles ???

legacy-zenmaster86
08-15-2003, 07:41 PM
"New weapons exclusive to the Onslaught game mode; a sticky grenade launcher, proximity spider mines, AVRil anti-vehicle rocket launcher."
"Over 30 new characters (including new races)"
Improved weapon and sound effects. <hell yeeees

7 new vehicles for use in Onslaught. They include a grenade-launching jeep, the Manta hover craft, a tank, a 3-person truck, a small fighter, a bomber, and a seventh secret vehicle.(wonder what it is)

"HUD improvements."

"All new game menus."

B]"Voice over IP communication."[/B]

:D :D :D Theis are the things that I am most elated about:D :up: :haha:

legacy-Kabhal
08-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Ok oh well let they ruin it then but

can i play regular gametypes (Deathmatch, CTF, TDM, BR, DoubleDOM) from ut2k3 whidout these new vheicles ??? Yes. That's what we've been telling you all along. :p Anyway, thanks for the update Mort... Hopefully out of 90 maps there will be at least 1 or 2 decent CTF maps. ;)