PDA

View Full Version : My map rendering from 14 texture-packages

legacy-Salem78
07-07-2003, 02:30 PM
When I'm done with my new map, it will render textures from 14 different texture-packages, that feels too much.

But 4 of those texture-packages I'm using only 1 texture from each, so I'm thinking about to export&import those 4 textures into my own texture-package(mylevel). That will minimize the number of texture-packages from 14 to 10, but the size of my map will be bigger.

I know I don't have to worry so much about the size and the amount of textues and so on, just keep the poly-count low, but for the loading of the map, I wanna know what the Uengine prefer:
1. smaller map-size with 14 texture-packages
2. bigger map-size with 10 texture packages

Anyone with a good knowledge of the engine?

legacy-Noz
07-07-2003, 02:34 PM
I don't know what the engine preffers but i assume that the difference is minimal, not worth bothering, you can better spend your time on other things imo.

legacy-ennio
07-07-2003, 03:39 PM
Definitely SMALL map size - it won't make any difference that it has to load the textures from different packages.

legacy-Doctor7
07-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Leave it as it is. It will slow down the initial loading of the map as it has to open all those texture packages, but anything that isn't used will be discarded after loading so it won't affect the in-game performance.

legacy-Salem78
07-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Ok, thanks for the info, mates!