PDA

View Full Version : Texturing with maya

legacy-Mofassa
07-03-2003, 11:45 PM
I can't seem how to get a NICE UV map in maya, one that is a nicely layed out texture..i try exporting as an OBJ and then converting it to a UV map, but it doesn't come out neat, looks like things are sitll on angles and aren't lined up..im wondering if ne1 has a nice run througb on how to get a nice UV map for a maya object..and how to apply the texture

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-04-2003, 12:13 AM
You know that page that opens up when you start Maya PLE? That has links to tutorials on all of that. Search around a little, you'll find it.

legacy-ccherub
07-04-2003, 01:20 AM
what does your mesh look like?...lots of T intersections?

uv mapping is not easy

---C

legacy-Mofassa
07-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ccherub
what does your mesh look like?...lots of T intersections?

uv mapping is not easy

---C

well, I'm planning on mapping each part of my mesh seperately, so it shouldn't be too hard. As for what u said spectre i think i'll take a look...*smacks self on face* why didn't i look there before

legacy-Neogin
07-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Let me tell you the simple plain truth. UV mapping is a pain in the ass and you WONT EVER get a perfect UV map on a complex mesh. You will have to edit the UV map by hand using the UV editors tools. It's a pain and everyone knows it's a pain. UV maps are not easy to make, you don't just find some hidden button that does it right for you. Now of course you might be doing something wrong but if you look at a few tutorials around the net you will learn. Also you have to know when to use what type of mapping. For example a human head should use cylindrical mapping, a car should use box mapping, a page of a book could use planar mapping. I usually would use box mapping since it gives me best results. BUT i still have to edit the UV map afterwards, because it's never perfect.

legacy-ccherub
07-04-2003, 12:29 PM
yeah, uv editing iss an art all on its own...i find i have to ultimately do it all by hand and one point or another.

check out this tutorial...

http://www.freelance-animation.com/newwebpage/tutorials/uvmapping.html

legacy-pigpen
07-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Videos on uvmapping in maya.

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/customerwork/stories/dragon/tutorial.shtml

legacy-cold wolf
07-06-2003, 01:42 AM
i have a model all mapped out now. so how do i transfer the texture i made onto the model?

the alias tutorial adds a shader, which i don't think UT2k3 acknowledges. or does it? either way, i dont want a shader, just the texture on the model so i can export it as an .ase to get into the game. i've been looking for hours now and cant find the solution. anyone know?

legacy-pigpen
07-06-2003, 05:31 AM
In hypershade, you need to connect a File 2d texture to your material that you have assigned to your model.

YOu can watch a video on this that shows how to this as well on 3dbuzz.com. Although its on static meshes, it'll show what you need to know.

Find the video "Static Mesh Workflow (Maya to Unreal Ed)" under the UT2003 Game Design Issue 2 section. He talks about the hypershade about 3/5 of the way in the video.

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/uunr_vtmlist.php?c=13