PDA

View Full Version : Multiple textures on a face ?

legacy-Agent-X(UK)
07-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Say i want a main texture, and boarders at the top and bottom which are seperate textures, would i have to split the brush into 3 and apply the boarder texture to the top and bottom brushs and the main texture to the centre brush, or is there an easier way to do it ?

-=¤willhaven¤=-
07-03-2003, 09:28 PM
you COULD use a combiner material

this would involve having some photoshop skills...

with a combiner you can combine more than one material... theoretically you could take the trim from texture A, something from texture B, and apply them over a basic texture C to make a new one...

but its usually easier to just make 3 seperate surfaces

legacy-Agent-X(UK)
07-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by willhaven
you COULD use a combiner material

this would involve having some photoshop skills...

with a combiner you can combine more than one material... theoretically you could take the trim from texture A, something from texture B, and apply them over a basic texture C to make a new one...

but its usually easier to just make 3 seperate surfaces

Photoshop isnt a problem, as im quite versed in it, but if its easier just to split the brushs, ill do that and look at combiners when i have some free time :)

Chears mate :)

-=¤willhaven¤=-
07-03-2003, 10:48 PM
check on udn.epicgames.com for information on MATERIALS

there are tons and tons of tutorials there that explain everything about the unreal engine

legacy-Dark_Spectre
07-03-2003, 11:13 PM
:bulb: WTF are you trying to make? With the Unreal engine, it's best to use as few textures on a mesh as possible. Why can't you just put the borders and the main part on a single texture? Are they animated in different directions, or with different styles? If so, then definitely use a combiner for it. Go here to see how to do this:

http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/MaterialTutorial/

Tell me what you're trying to make, and I'll give you more specific advice.

legacy-Agent-X(UK)
07-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Spectre
:bulb: WTF are you trying to make? With the Unreal engine, it's best to use as few textures on a mesh as possible.

Its a BSP though, not a mesh ?
Its just a wall and i want to put a border on it, not sure if ill have one at the top, but i will be having one at the bottom.
I might extrude it a little where the boarder is, make it stand out more.

Hope im making sence :bulb: