PDA

View Full Version : Linux dedicated server as root?

legacy-neufusion
06-19-2003, 01:57 AM
I'm using the newest Linux dedicated server for UT2003, but for some reason, I HAVE to run it as root or it won't work. It starts up fine if I run it as root, but if I run it as a normal user it comes up with:

ga@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]# ./ucc-bin server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True -nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
Executing Class Engine.ServerCommandlet
Unreal engine initialized
(Karma): Beginning Karma for game.
(Karma): Creating MeAssetDB.
(Karma): Loading: Alien.ka
(Karma): Loading: Bot.ka
(Karma): Loading: Human.ka
(Karma): Loading: intro.ka
(Karma): Loading: jugg.ka
(Karma): Finished Creating MeAssetDB (12 Assets).
Browse: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
LoadMap: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
Bound to Fire.so
Bound to XGame.so
Missing Class Class Editor.TransBuffer
Failed to load 'MenuSounds': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to load 'XGame': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to load 'CTF-Chrome': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'

History:

Exiting due to error
Exiting.
Waiting for file streaming thread to finish...
Name subsystem shut down
ga@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]#

Anyone have any ideas on why its doing this?

elmuerte
06-19-2003, 03:08 AM
don't use ucc-bin you need to use ucc in the install dir:

[~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]# ./ucc server ...

NakedApe
06-19-2003, 03:32 AM
And since 2225 doesn't include ucc, get the old (2199) release and copy the ucc from there.

legacy-neufusion
06-19-2003, 01:31 PM
I copied the ucc (script) from the 2199 install like you said and am using ./ucc but I'm still getting the same error messages:

ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]# ./ucc server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
Couldn't run ucc (ucc-bin). Is UT2003_DATA_PATH set?
ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/System]# cd ..
ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]# ./ucc server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
Browse: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir
LoadMap: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir
Bound to Fire.so
Bound to XGame.so
Failed to load 'MenuSounds': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to load 'XGame': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to load 'CTF-Chrome': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'
Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True-nohomedir: Can't find file for package 'MenuSounds'

History:

Exiting due to error
Exiting.
Name subsystem shut down
ga2@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]#

Any other ideas?

elmuerte
06-19-2003, 02:53 PM
do you even have a file called 'MenuSounds.uax' (or whatever extention it has)

legacy-neufusion
06-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Yes,

/home/ga2/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax

NakedApe
06-19-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by neufusion
Yes,

/home/ga2/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax

And what are the permissions on the files it complains about?

legacy-neufusion
06-19-2003, 04:54 PM
-rw-r--r-- 1 ga2 ga2 4427 Jun 19 12:23 /home/ga2/ut2003/server/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax

NakedApe
06-20-2003, 01:59 AM
-rw-r--r-- 1 ga2 ga2 4427 Jun 19 12:23 /home/ga2/ut2003/server/ut2003_dedicated/Sounds/MenuSounds.uax

Ok. I'm not entirely familiar with how the UT server loads stuff but when it is looking for a "package" isn't that an .int file?
Do you have a MenuSounds.int in your System directory?
Try commenting out the ServerPackage line that includes MenuSounds.

legacy-neufusion
06-20-2003, 02:16 AM
Alright I did that and now its coming up with:

ga@ga1 [~/ut2003/ut2003_dedicated]# ./ucc server CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True -nohomedir ini=UT2003.ini userini=user.ini log=server.log
Browse: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
LoadMap: CTF-Chrome?Name=Player?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Gor ge?team=255?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame .MutBigHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True
Bound to Fire.so
Bound to XGame.so
Failed to load 'Jugg': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
Failed to load 'XGame': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
Failed to load 'CTF-Chrome': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'Jugg'
Failed to enter CTF-Chrome?game=XGame.xCTFGame?mutator=UnrealGame.MutB igHead?Translocator=True?WeaponStay=True: Can't find file for package 'Jugg'

History:

Exiting due to error
Exiting.
Name subsystem shut down

Does no one else have this problem, maybe I've downloaded the wrong thing or something?
The box is a redhat 7.3 box + cpanel w/ a p4 2.4ghz 1gb ram if that helps.

NakedApe
06-20-2003, 10:57 AM
And this all works when you run as root?

Are you using exactly the same options (-nohomedir, mainly) when you run it as root?

I'm not sure, but I think your UT2003.ini is messed up. Get a fresh copy and try again. Add whatever options you need one by one and find out if something breaks.

There is nothing in the 2225 server that requires root (unless you assign it stupid ports)... I run mine as a unprivileged user. Never had a problem.

legacy-neufusion
06-20-2003, 12:37 PM
I deleted my old dir and untar'd it again and copied the ucc over from that old (i think 2199) to my new dir and ran it in the new directory - didn't touch anything and it STILL came up with that damn menusounds problem when I didn't change anything. So now I deleted that tar and directory and am downloading it straight from atari, I had been using a mirror I found on yahoo somewhere. Maybe someone renamed it or messed it up some how. Hopefully this will fix it but it won't be done for 4 hrs cuz it only goes @ 20k/sec for some reason from atari :) Oh well I'll be out of town this weekend and when I get back hopefully it wil all work. Thank you all again for your help! I'll keep you posted when I get back and try it out.

legacy-neufusion
06-23-2003, 03:46 PM
it still doesn't work unless I run as root. Maybe my server has some weird restrictions on it (its using CPanel control panel software). Anyone familiar with this?

NakedApe
06-24-2003, 12:29 AM
it still doesn't work unless I run as root. Maybe my server has some weird restrictions on it (its using CPanel control panel software). Anyone familiar with this?

What port do you assign the webadmin if used?
Which ports do you assign the game?

I remember trying to help some other guy here who had a similar problem on a newer RedHat... Maybe they've done something stupid. It wouldn't be the first time (nor the last, I guess).

Try strace(1) to get a better view of what it is doing when it bugs out.

Or change to Debian GNU/Linux, it just works... ;)

legacy-neufusion
06-24-2003, 02:08 AM
I'm using the complete defaults - I don't think the WebAdmin is even enabled.

NakedApe
06-24-2003, 05:11 AM
I'm using the complete defaults - I don't think the WebAdmin is even enabled.

No, IIRC it isn't by default. But I also think it defaults to port 80 (which will require root privs) so you might want to check to make sure.

legacy-hajjs
07-20-2003, 06:35 PM
I am having exactly the same problem as the original poster, and if anybody (including the original poster) has found a solution to this I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thank you.

legacy-neufusion
07-20-2003, 07:12 PM
I never figured it out - if you do find a solution e-mail me (sam@gamingapex.com) Thanks!

legacy-mumbo$jumbo
07-20-2003, 07:31 PM
Well, for starters the first thing _you_ should figure out is that running the server as root is the second thing you shouldn’t do (the first thing being running an unpatched quakeworld server with rcon enabled as root). But, then I may be mistaken and the only thing your _really_ want is getting rooted.

Here is mumb$jumbos 2 peso advice (free of charge):
Restore your system to it's state prior to the ut2003 installation. Poing your browser at http://www.unrealadmin.org/ and read some of the setup guides there. It will probably help you getting your ut2003_ded instalation straight.
If linux is the problem run your server on Windows (the players on your server won't even notice).