PDA

View Full Version : Serrated Station for UT2003

legacy-MortalPlague
03-09-2003, 05:40 AM
Download the latest version (http://www.fragilicious.com/mortalplague/CTF-SerratedStation_Beta1.zip)

The faint shimmer of light on polished steel is nearly hypnotic as you watch the level twist and turn around you, the ramps and catwalks smooth and unbroken. Space looms overhead, rolling gently- or is it the station that rolls? For a moment, the mind is tranquil, viewing the stationís metallic beauty. The second passes, an opponent rounds the corner, and Serrated is once again filled with the sounds of gunfire.

This is Serrated Station. I'm looking for the harshest criticism (constructive though) that I can get.

http://www.fragilicious.com/mortalplague/New/Screenshot.jpg

Grim
03-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Pretty good map imo, could be a very good map with some work.
The first impression I got is that it needs more lightning. It feels very dark, to dark. The textures are flickering on some places. Then I would try to use another texture for the floor and maybe a little bit more static meshes along the walls. The floor texture looks really strange. But I like the layout very much and I do think this can be a kickass map :D :D

legacy-acc
03-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Excellent gameplay! The flow is perfect.

The lighting needs improvement.
It's not too light or too dark, it's just not uniform. The ramp leading out of the flag room is so bright it's almost painful to look at, yet half the gratings on the floor in the level are pitch black (again, esepcially in the flag room). Lots of other areas are just contrasting each other too much, and it doesn't look like it was done on purpose (in otherwords it looks bad). There's one lower hallway/corner that looks good dark becuase it is low down, but the rest shouldn't be lit randomly.
You might also want to try out some more colours with the lighting. Right now it's "white, dull red, dull blue". Take some more risks with it, you may be pleased. And if you aren't, just switch it back.

I don't like the floor texture. The walls/ceilings are a greyish blue. It doesn't match well. It also looks really bad going up ramps.

Try and cover up as many BSP edges as you can with (small, unobstructive) static meshes. It will look a lot, lot better. For example, you could have some along the ledge in the screenshot you have up here. If you have the time and an approriate mesh, covering all or some of the floor-to-wall edges would be a good idea.

One last thing, what's that black stuff around the flak cannon? Oil spill? The shape is odd and looks bad. The idea is fine, it just doesn't look much like fluid (if that's what it is).

The gameplay is ace though. Great map. Tons of potential, just needs a bit more polish.

Grim
03-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by acc
Excellent gameplay! The flow is perfect.

The lighting needs improvement.
It's not too light or too dark, it's just not uniform. The ramp leading out of the flag room is so bright it's almost painful to look at, yet half the gratings on the floor in the level are pitch black (again, esepcially in the flag room). Lots of other areas are just contrasting each other too much, and it doesn't look like it was done on purpose (in otherwords it looks bad). There's one lower hallway/corner that looks good dark becuase it is low down, but the rest shouldn't be lit randomly.
You might also want to try out some more colours with the lighting. Right now it's "white, dull red, dull blue". Take some more risks with it, you may be pleased. And if you aren't, just switch it back.

I don't like the floor texture. The walls/ceilings are a greyish blue. It doesn't match well. It also looks really bad going up ramps.

Try and cover up as many BSP edges as you can with (small, unobstructive) static meshes. It will look a lot, lot better. For example, you could have some along the ledge in the screenshot you have up here. If you have the time and an approriate mesh, covering all or some of the floor-to-wall edges would be a good idea.

One last thing, what's that black stuff around the flak cannon? Oil spill? The shape is odd and looks bad. The idea is fine, it just doesn't look much like fluid (if that's what it is).

The gameplay is ace though. Great map. Tons of potential, just needs a bit more polish.

That was about the same thing I said
Just in more detail :D :D

legacy-acc
03-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Yeah :D

legacy-MortalPlague
03-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Hmm... the black thing on the floor would be a projector, I'm still tinkering with it to get it to look better... More transparency would be my guess. As for the floor, despite what you said I think I'd rather keep it. The floor has really grown on me, and I think it gives the level a bit of a unique and different look.

The lighting has just been re-vamped, and to be entirely honest seemed too bright in my opinion... I'll take a look at it, though. As for uniform lighting, well, I'll have a look at that too.

As for trim, well, I just don't think it would work. In my opinion it would look funny to have trim set against the floor and the walls... It would somewhat interrupt the sinuous flow of the map. But once gain, I'll have a look at it.

Thanks for taking a look, and posting feedback.