PDA

View Full Version : [SERVICE]Static Mesh Database[BETA]

legacy-Zyz
01-30-2003, 01:19 AM
Hey! I finally started working on a Static Mesh Database with Pictures! I find a lot of times i'm not sure what package has what mesh or what type of mesh so I end up wasting lots of time looking around all the mesh files. So I decided to make a database! I have not made a design yet for the database right now its just simple text pretty much. Right now I am looking for feedback... I mean should I continue and finish this Database? Ok less yapping, heres the link of the currently uploaded stuff:

http://zyz.fasthost.tv

The current host is just temporary... So tell me what you think and tell me if you think I should continue :)

legacy-Teddie
01-30-2003, 01:40 AM
I appreciate it.

I give thumbs up and ask that you finish it.

Wulf Sternhammer
01-30-2003, 05:06 AM
YES YES YES YES.....Oh please dont stop:D

Wulf Sternhammer

legacy-Fecal Marmaset
01-30-2003, 02:06 PM
YES, by all means.....keep going!

:D

legacy-Zyz
01-30-2003, 07:18 PM
3 replies? thats not that big of a motivation...

legacy-strawa
01-30-2003, 08:41 PM
ah that static mesh browser just s*x!

nice idea, keep working!
(pictures should be brighter, i think)

legacy-Zyz
01-30-2003, 08:52 PM
the abaddon stuff is pretty dark, i'm working on the next set right now.

legacy-communist
01-31-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Zyz
http://zyz.fasthost.tv
Link doesnt work.

legacy-JaFO(JBE)
01-31-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Zyz
the abaddon stuff is pretty dark, i'm working on the next set right now.
Wouldn't it be 'easier' if you made a map to show these meshes ?
Then you could set lights & background to make any mesh stand out from the background.

legacy-DukeMaster
01-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Super Idea , keep us posted:D

legacy-Zyz
01-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by communist
Link doesnt work.

Yep it does.

Originally posted by JaFO(JBE)
Wouldn't it be 'easier' if you made a map to show these meshes ?
Then you could set lights & background to make any mesh stand out from the background.

Agh no, that would take so much editing of screenshots, i'm lazy!

Originally posted by DukeMaster
Super Idea , keep us posted:D

Thx :) Almost finished the second set :)

legacy-Blaaguuu
01-31-2003, 08:03 PM
recently, ive started makign my own statics, and dont plan on using many of the packaged statics very often.. but its still an awsome idea, and its very much apreciated!

http://www.dbcenter.org/forums/images/smilies/icon_hug.gif

legacy-Gusher
01-31-2003, 08:59 PM
I find it very useful Zyz........good job man!

Keep up the great work!

Btw, I think it would be a good idea to move your database to an Unreal hosted site.

legacy-jsheinz
02-01-2003, 01:49 AM
I think it may also be useful (although possibly quite tedious) to set the database up by mesh type instead of by package. This way when you need to get a light, you just click on the light link and all the different light syles come up and the package and filename are listed on the image, something like that.

Also, if anyone out there has any knowledge of true databasing it may help out ZYZ instead of having to build each page with html. Unless that is how he has already set it up, but it looks like straight html. A database would be a much easier configuration to work with. Just build a big database of the information and characteristics of each individual mesh and then can create a search engine to find the exact piece you are looking for, or at least narrow it down.

For example: You can break the meshes down by type (beam, floor, light, etc), style (metal, rusted metal, wood, etc), genre (goth, medievil, sci-fi, etc) and on and on.

I know it is possible to do all this via database construction. Unfortunately I don't know how to do it, so maybe there is someone out there that would volunteer, or maybe show zyz.

legacy-[A]Shrimp
02-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Great idea Zyz, I'm sure it'll be extremely helpful to mappers. I'm always batteling to find the right meshes ;).

Anyway, I run an Unreal site at http://www.unrealza.co.za/ - South Africa's only Unreal site. It has full scripting and database support, so if I were to create you a page and web-based admin interface (easily add/manage packages, groups and the images) would you be interested in maintaining it? It would then be searchable and easily browsable as suggested by jsheinz above.

Regardless, keep it up, it'll be a really great resource once it's finished :cool:

legacy-jsheinz
02-01-2003, 02:13 PM
[A]Shrimp that is exactly what I had in mind. I am assuming zyz could also add users if he found people that could assist in the process?

legacy-[A]Shrimp
02-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Sure ;)

legacy-P1nky
02-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Go Go Go :up:

legacy-GIdenJoe
02-02-2003, 05:40 AM
Zyz, I see you kinda order them by package, which I think should be done better.

How about a page with beams and beams only! And then at the explanation of it, the package and group eventually.

If you're done with that, and have nothing to do, there still is the texture library ;)

legacy-digimortal1622
02-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Zyz, Sometimes I think I look for meshes for hours to remember under what file I saw it. I for one say "HELL YEAH!!!" keep going!! I think after you release it and word gets around, it will be very popular!! Great Idea!! :up: :up:
Digimortal

legacy-Zyz
02-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Gusher
Btw, I think it would be a good idea to move your database to an Unreal hosted site.

I was hoping that after I finish it, completely and give it a design I could try for PlanetUnreal... Dunno, we'll see.

Originally posted by jsheinz
I think it may also be useful (although possibly quite tedious) to set the database up by mesh type instead of by package. This way when you need to get a light, you just click on the light link and all the different light syles come up and the package and filename are listed on the image, something like that.

Fortunately I do PHP and MySQL and was planning on that after some other people suggested it. I'll have it searchable hopefully also by just giving the things ID names that sound similar... or maybe just the Worldcraft/Hammer texture browser way.

Originally posted by [A]Shrimp
I run an Unreal site at http://www.unrealza.co.za/ - South Africa's only Unreal site. It has full scripting and database support, so if I were to create you a page and web-based admin interface (easily add/manage packages, groups and the images) would you be interested in maintaining it? It would then be searchable and easily browsable as suggested by jsheinz above.

I'll take that into consideration, i'm happy to see that people want to help out :) The thing is I was sorta hoping to put my site on PlanetUnreal. But we'll see how things turn out. I finished the second and third packages. Haven't uploaded them yet though, will do soon! :)

GIdenJoe: I am never going to make a texture library. That would take WAY to long :p

legacy-Zyz
02-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Alien Tech package is now up and running.

legacy-Beefypeanut
02-02-2003, 10:35 PM
I like it and give it 2 thumbs up! :up: :up:

legacy-MeanFish
02-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Dude...if you make it such that people can submit static meshes I'll cream my calvins. Seriously, I've been wishing for a static mesh db since the game came out :)