PDA

View Full Version : [MAP] CTF-Shire *DONE* [link inside]

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 04:57 PM
Its finally done, I went over it literaly 60 times after I thought it was done. If there are any BIG issues (i doubt there will be) let me know ASAP.

**It is a demanding map, for me at least. it has a few trouble spots for me on a AMD1.3 G3 512 ram. I have optimized it as much as I think is possible.**

Other mirrors coming soon.
Grab it here, TOP map listed:

http://www.unrealplayground.com/mapper.php?id=1591

mirror1: http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/119117.shtml
There are wait time there of course

Here's some pics even though I'm sure most have seen it already.

http://www.aengusfinnan.com/temp-bucky/shire-final1.jpg

http://www.aengusfinnan.com/temp-bucky/shire-final2.jpg

http://www.aengusfinnan.com/temp-bucky/shire-final3.jpg

http://www.aengusfinnan.com/temp-bucky/shire-final4.jpg

http://www.aengusfinnan.com/temp-bucky/shire-final5.jpg

http://www.aengusfinnan.com/temp-bucky/shire-final6.jpg

http://www.aengusfinnan.com/temp-bucky/shire-final7.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if you dont love the music like I do, turn it off duhh.

legacy-Loosecontroll6
01-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Woot.

Thanx Bucky....looks great!.
Downlaoding now.

I mailed u with a suggestion for BR-Contact btw.

:p

Plumb_Drumb
01-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Nice.

Let's take a closer look...
(btw, you should change your avatar now ;) )

legacy-froste
01-21-2003, 05:02 PM
wow.

d/l'ing now

iv been waiting for this one :up:

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Plumb_Drumb
Nice.

Let's take a closer look...
(btw, you should change your avatar now ;) )

LOL, I was just doing that, look again :)

legacy-Teddie
01-21-2003, 05:09 PM
Yo Bucky! Congrats man..

I was actually surfing the unrealplayground site and noticed you had just uploaded it and it didn't say beta... came back here to see if you were pimping a final, and here you are.

Congrats...

I'm grabbing it now.

legacy-Loosecontroll6
01-21-2003, 05:13 PM
Love the Map Bucky.

Really has come along way since beta and the new Music is Very Cool and really sets the theme.

Great Stuff all round.

Love the new avatar.
did u see my suggestion yet.

:cool:

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Loosecontroll6
Love the Map Bucky.

Really has come along way since beta and the new Music is Very Cool and really sets the theme.

Great Stuff all round.

Love the new avatar.
did u see my suggestion yet.

:cool:

Thanks man, ya I saw your email , so bout nt getting back earlier I was under (Shire) stress :)

Good idea for BR-Contact, just dont know when I'll be getting U2

legacy-Telzen
01-21-2003, 05:18 PM
nice:up:
i don't have a chance to play it for a while tho:cry:
oh and they deleted your other thread

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Telzen
nice:up:
i don't have a chance to play it for a while tho:cry:
oh and they deleted your other thread

Ya i noticed, pretty mature dont you think. good job supporting the community I asked nicely and I think my maps are good for the game, they let DrSin pimp a map, but not a lowly mapper with over 60,000 downloads, no

Tried to voice my concern with their actions and bamn, another thread deleted. I have been very helpfull to this community and rarely get pissed off.

not very kool.

Angel_Mapper
01-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Buckyfg
they let DrSin pimp a map ;) :D

Good job getting it done, I hope you took my suggestions, and I hope to Jebus that you took my suggestion and found a better song :bulb:

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
;) :D

Good job getting it done, I hope you took my suggestions, and I hope to Jebus that you took my suggestion and found a better song :bulb:

It was a good map he pimped though :) lol

And yes I changed the song

Plumb_Drumb
01-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Ya i noticed, pretty mature dont you think. good job supporting the community I asked nicely and I think my maps are good for the game, they let DrSin pimp a map, but not a lowly mapper with over 60,000 downloads, no

Tried to voice my concern with their actions and bamn, another thread deleted. I have been very helpfull to this community and rarely get pissed off.

not very kool.

Why did they delete your thread?

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 05:48 PM
Why did they delete your thread?

no point in talking about it man. actually ,One thing I will say is that they deleted my thread just announcing my map in the general forum, but yet they leave 30 threads about VSK stealing maps. go figure

you try the map yet?

legacy-Iceburgs
01-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Bucky,

The screens look beautiful! Congrats on finally getting it done. I will DL it when I get home from work and hook up my new DSL connection.

I was just wondering, for those of us who didn't beta test, any chance of you posting that loop from the beta map. I want to hear what everyone was posting about! :)

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Iceburgs
Bucky,

The screens look beautiful! Congrats on finally getting it done. I will DL it when I get home from work and hook up my new DSL connection.

I was just wondering, for those of us who didn't beta test, any chance of you posting that loop from the beta map. I want to hear what everyone was posting about! :)

lol, it was a fun tune. maybe I'll upload it to my server.
I'll let ya know. and let me know what you think later man. cheers

legacy-DuSt0fF
01-21-2003, 06:39 PM
sw33tness, downloading :)

legacy-Jeff P
01-21-2003, 06:53 PM
OUTSTANDING MAP!! 10 out of 10 on my scale. Bots kick butt and the FPS are pretty high.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED DOWNLOAD FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

legacy-marith
01-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Ownage map IMO :up:. Plays well and looks great. I especially love the colouring of the land underneath the water, and the sunlight through the windows.

legacy-1BIGDIRTNAP
01-21-2003, 07:01 PM
ARRRRGGG !!!!

Fooking still at work....... bummer:sour:
map looks sweet as ever Bucky, gonna d/l first thing when I get home :up:

legacy-PlickBadger
01-21-2003, 07:24 PM
SWEET!!! This map rocks arse. fps are great for most of the map and very acceptable everywhere. This is one of the great ones. Thanks for such a kick ass map!!!

virax
01-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Muaha! Great job Bucky, yet another perm. map on mai hard drive.

*Waits for Bucky to get 0wnage*

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks you all!! I worked soo damn hard on this map, and if I didnt have to hold back a bit becuase of FPS I would have added a few things. I will probably be making a DM and DDOM version in the future. want to see how it goes first, looks good so far *fingers crossed*

it was all consuming, but like all mappers know you could work on a map forever but you have to "say when" sometime

It was taking up to 40min to render (in the editor) so it becomes more trouble than its worth. Better make sure my next one is good, doh!

legacy-acc
01-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Great job :up: You fixed up everything I can think of.
My only comment (other than it totally kicks ass ;)) is that the bots completely ignore the Super Shield.

legacy-[SEOD]--|Ripley
01-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Well four maps done and four maps ROCK, this one has to be my fav the sky box is amazing, submit this map to Cliffy B its got Ownage writen all over it .

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by acc
Great job :up: You fixed up everything I can think of.
My only comment (other than it totally kicks ass ;)) is that the bots completely ignore the Super Shield.

Ya i realized after I uploaded that I didnt put in pathnodes to it, rgghh, o well, always something :)

well 121 downloads in an hour is a pretty good start. damn I love Unrealplayground.com

legacy-Buckyfg
01-21-2003, 09:38 PM
[SEOD]--|Ripley, i saw your server but couldnt join. stuck on the all black and ip address screen rggh

legacy-[SEOD]--|Ripley
01-21-2003, 09:43 PM
MMMMMMMM wonderd why none joined this fine map, was getting bored all by myself. ok lets try again.

legacy-Killroy X
01-21-2003, 09:48 PM
I'll Join!! I'll Join!!!

legacy-Bananko
01-22-2003, 12:08 AM
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp No offense, but this map is awesome! :(

legacy-Desperado#2-Rog
01-22-2003, 12:14 AM
The map is pretty good. Not Ownage though.

I found this map fun it is actually a cool ctf map and if the Hobbit thing was not in my mind with this map than it would be pretty cool. though some stuff like the bed and some doors are rather simplistic and many other things... whatever the map is fun and that is what counts in the long run.

I think the best part of this map is the terrian it is well made the textuer layer work is good... does not look like they are just tilled textuers. The terrian did have snags at spots that really did not look like it should.

Close to the bridge a tree plant thing is not in the ground itis floating in the air.

Many things are pretty simple looking I mean blocky.. the old unreal engine looking etc.

Keep it up though your learning and that is what counts keep at it :)

It is a fun map :D

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Desperado#2-Rog

I found this map fun it is actually a cool ctf map and if the Hobbit thing was not in my mind with this map than it would be pretty cool. though some stuff like the bed and some doors are rather simplistic and many other things... whatever the map is fun and that is what counts in the long run.

I think the best part of this map is the terrian it is well made the textuer layer work is good... does not look like they are just tilled textuers. The terrian did have snags at spots that really did not look like it should.

Close to the bridge a tree plant thing is not in the ground itis floating in the air.

Many things are pretty simple looking I mean blocky.. the old unreal engine looking etc.

Keep it up though your learning and that is what counts keep at it :)

It is a fun map :D

edit, you must not like Lord of the rings then, I guess thats allowed.

Thanks ! ya I worked alot on the terrain, too many maps are just one texture and your not pulled into the level.
Without learning Maya, I wont be making a real bed anytime soon:)
With a map this open you cant go around and make everything roundish, it wouldnt be playable then.

I cant believe I missed a floating tree, that suks. I feel I'm already adding more detail and feel than I've seen in some maps. The small things are what makes a map special I think. and for the love of god, please people dontmake any more big room maps people.
just got off a few servers and they well all uninspired rooms. Why do people like that ? I'll never know

legacy-acc
01-22-2003, 02:11 AM
I've always had an urge to make a bedroom map, just to show people how it's done ;) Too many POS maps with a few textured boxes. Bedroom maps have sooo much un-tapped potential it's ridiculous. I look at my desk and see 50 times as many objects as the entire MyHouse level!
It's a shame, really. It's a cool concept, and could have very vibrant and detailed levels, but the mappers ruined it :mad:

legacy-Iceburgs
01-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Bucky,

I played the map and I love it. The music is great too! (Where did you find it?) The gameplay is smooth and all your hard work shows. That said:

Desperado, if you are going to flame, then post elsewhere! Bucky worked a long time on this map; give him his props! If you don't like it, then don't play it and leave it at that. Oh, and take same grammar and spelling lessons too!

Bucky, I noticed some slight imperfections in the map.... I'm not complaining about it. I don't care, is the simple reason as to why--the map is excellent, and you created it on your own. I mean, let's face it, none of us are perfect, and neither is this game (ahem, third patch coming soon to a server near you...).

Keep up the great work, and show us some new shots of your BR map soon! :)

legacy-Teddie
01-22-2003, 02:19 AM
Iceburgs,

Nah. I don't think Desperado was flaming.

Mappers need both good and bad feedback...

It helps a mapper grow.

legacy-acc
01-22-2003, 02:20 AM
Whoa, calm down Iceburgs. Not everyone has to love the map, and he even said he liked it. He didn't flame. You're flaming. :bulb:
Or are you just being sarcastic, 'cause if you are you gotta be just a touch less subtle :D

legacy-Iceburgs
01-22-2003, 02:30 AM
though some stuff like the bed and some doors are rather simplistic and many other things...
Keep it up though your learning and that is what counts keep at it

Teddie, I really have to stretch to find all those comments to be constructive. Bucky has had three threads up about this map, and had countless feedback on the early and beta stages. There comes a point where you just have to stop looking for problems and move on. Seriously, look at it this way: If Bucky went and populated the hobbit holes and other areas with tons of detail crap and special static meshes that are not only not integral to gameplay, but hardly looked at, you would have a really low FPS map with terrible collision problems (like CTF-Chrome). Not only that, Bucky already has 3 excellent maps out before this one--it's not like he's a beginner. Whatever, I am all talked out now. I was shocked to see those comments and felt they were uncalled for. Bucky took it all in stride, but I am sure he didn't really appreciate it.

legacy-Teddie
01-22-2003, 02:52 AM
Teddie, I really have to stretch to find all those comments to be constructive. Bucky has had three threads up about this map, and had countless feedback on the early and beta stages. There comes a point where you just have to stop looking for problems and move on. Seriously, look at it this way: If Bucky went and populated the hobbit holes and other areas with tons of detail crap and special static meshes that are not only not integral to gameplay, but hardly looked at, you would have a really low FPS map with terrible collision problems (like CTF-Chrome). Not only that, Bucky already has 3 excellent maps out before this one--it's not like he's a beginner. Whatever, I am all talked out now. I was shocked to see those comments and felt they were uncalled for. Bucky took it all in stride, but I am sure he didn't really appreciate it.

Ah, bro. I know what you mean, but you really gotta take the good with the bad and find something in critism that can help you with any mapping in the future.

People are finding bugs in my maps that I've made final. It's actually kind of cool to get a pool of bugs together to warrant a revision update to a final... (that might be wierd but)...

Okay, but anyway, strip all the stuff that probably doesn't need to be changed and I'm sure bucky found this one piece very helpful:

"Close to the bridge a tree plant thing is not in the ground itis floating in the air. "

If I put out a final and someone found something like that, I'd want to make a revision, but not just yet, maybe after a few people have found a few more bugs.. enough to warrant putting out a revision.

Look at the retail map Citadel -- people are finding a lot of bugs in that map... I think Epic already put out a revision to that map in one of the patches (?)... And I just saw some recent threads with additional Citadel bugs.

Anyway, I know Bucky worked his booty off on this map and it definitely shows. I won't speak for bucky... I just think if everyone skims over the little bugs that are found and simply tells a mapper that his map is great then a mapper can't grow as a "mapper".

But as a mapper, yes, those "Greats" feel good when you get them.

I ramble, sorry.

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
01-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Well said Teddie. :up:

@ Ice. I guess you missed all the parts where Desp said it was a "fun" and "cool" map. :rolleyes:

Sharpfish
01-22-2003, 07:18 AM
I agree with Teddie, moose and desperado.

This *IS* most definatly a cool map, there are a few minor flaws I spotted straight away (as a mapper) that maybe more casual players don`t notice or don`t mind.

I wholeheartedly looked forward to putting a Bucky map up on my reccomended maps section (as Im still looking for a new `batch`) but when I played it I noticed the following:

.Some textures on bsp/meshes were overscaled to the point of being a little out of place - the main steps up into the rooms is one example.

.The mentioned twisty tree mesh which is `see through` from some angles as its not meant as a whole 3d object and wasn`t embedded completely in the other meshes/terrain.

.The edges of the `world` - you can`t get to them (blocked) but you CAN see the jagged edges of a terrain layer just `ending`, this spoils the illusion the rest of the map so wonderfully creates.

.A couple of spots the terrain wasn`t smoothed enough which left `pockets` that you got stuck in - you could x-loc out though.

These are just `techincal` nit picks

Bucky, you know I only ever comment in the threads on GOOD maps so don`t take these points the wrong way - I can see your hard work (that you admit is limited until you get up to scratch with 3d modeling) in this map, the atmosphere is great, the layout is cool, in general the graphical look is good (except a little blocky in places), the music fitted well and the lighting was good.

Special mention to the insides, I found them charming and `cosy` and well shaped.. and loved the `hacked` sunlight in through the window bit.

Maybe if you DO do another version (dom?) then you can improve on these points and turn your great map into an amazing one.

Hope you take these points in the spirit they are intended.

Iceburgs> I know how you feel, I`ve had people stick up for my maps before so you are doing nothing wrong, but there are a few issues here that we would all like to see `fixed` to improve a very cool map?

Rgds
Sharpfish

legacy-Desperado#2-Rog
01-22-2003, 07:35 AM
I am sorry that was found as a flame.

If you wish for me to go more in detail I shall.

I just wrote what I thought, and I saw the slight error of the tree so I put that up just in case he was going to make a new version that error it self is not equal to a new version though. It was never meant for a flame.

Am I hard on maps? Yes I am as I am a map designer myself. But I am not one to just say it sucks like some other people

I think simplistic and describing some stuff was alright.

Ill make sure not to post any of my thoughts here since It seems if everyone loves a map and one person decides that some things could have been worked on… than so be it I am the bad guy ;) But Ill keep posting becuase I like to see new stuff.

I love LOTR

This map has good game-play for a ctf map as I have stated in the last post.

I also dislike it when people mention spelling. This is an international forum and many people come here to share opinions without being concerned with spelling. So many people have English as their second language or even some people have as a third. I can write better but than again as you stated not everyone is perfect. Thus by sheer logic many people here would have problems with writing in English. Oh that is horrible! People can not write well in English!

And to think about it… I was being soft a bit to make sure this would not be looked as a flame.

I still and stress that this map is fun and plays well for a CTF map.

Rogelio Olguin
Desperado#2
Tactical ops Level designer

legacy-Devastation 8
01-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Getting it...Now :p

legacy-Teddie
01-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Desperado#2-Rog
I am sorry that was found as a flame.

If you wish for me to go more in detail I shall.

I just wrote what I thought, and I saw the slight error of the tree so I put that up just in case he was going to make a new version that error it self is not equal to a new version though. It was never meant for a flame.

Am I hard on maps? Yes I am as I am a map designer myself. But I am not one to just say it sucks like some other people

I think simplistic and describing some stuff was alright.

Ill make sure not to post any of my thoughts here since It seems if everyone loves a map and one person decides that some things could have been worked on… than so be it I am the bad guy ;) But Ill keep posting becuase I like to see new stuff.

I love LOTR

This map has good game-play for a ctf map as I have stated in the last post.

I also dislike it when people mention spelling. This is an international forum and many people come here to share opinions without being concerned with spelling. So many people have English as their second language or even some people have as a third. I can write better but than again as you stated not everyone is perfect. Thus by sheer logic many people here would have problems with writing in English. Oh that is horrible! People can not write well in English!

And to think about it… I was being soft a bit to make sure this would not be looked as a flame.

I still and stress that this map is fun and plays well for a CTF map.

Rogelio Olguin
Desperado#2
Tactical ops Level designer

Desperado,

Only one person thought you were flaming.

No worries. You had some good comments.

legacy-Iceburgs
01-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Aiyee! Look what I started. A post that I made way past my bedtime turned into this huge discussion. As I said earlier, it was more of a heat of the moment thing--that's all. Desperado, I really didn't mean for what I said to sound like flaming you. As far as the spelling comment, sorry about that. I'm a proofreader; it's a way of life. (You'd be surprised the errors I see in Newspapers and high-subscription-rate magazines.) I guess at that late hour that I was a bit peeved at a post that seemed to be more critical than helpful, that was a bit on the wee hard side to read. A few minutes looking over one's post would have alleviated that.

That said, I apologize to everyone else who felt that my comments were harsh on Desperado. Desperado is putting together some really nice maps, and I look forward to playing them on release.

Finally, in light of helping Bucky for future versions of this map (should there be any), I would like to point out that you can see the waterfall through the tree that is to the left of it. I like to play maps in lo-grav with quad jump, so I jumped into the tree and basically saw the waterfall right through it.

OK, that's enough outta me for now. :) Have a great day, guys, and thanks for pointing out my unnecessary remarks. I will try to keep myself in check in the future. :up:

Plumb_Drumb
01-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Teddie

...Only one person thought you were flaming...

Boy, that's a change of pace for these boards :up:

There was a time when if you didn't kiss everyones butt, you were considered a flaming troll of death and the sole reason for hte downfall of humanity itself, and were told to leave.

legacy-Teddie
01-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Boy, that's a change of pace for these boards :up:

There was a time when if you didn't kiss everyones butt, you were considered a flaming troll of death and the sole reason for hte downfall of humanity itself, and were told to leave.

lol.

legacy-SkaarjMaster
01-22-2003, 10:28 AM
DLed late, late last night, but will try tonight! Yes, make all those changes in the DM and DOM versions. This way we can avoid mismatches on servers. Wow, look at the time, isn't it about time for second breakfast? :D

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 10:34 AM
wow, lots has been going on here :)

First Iceburgs, Your original post (in the heat of the moment) shows me that you really like the map, and I thank you. I admit at first I felt a little taken back, BUT when you work on something for so long its like an auto response.

I DO want people pointing out the errors like Teddie,sharpfish e.t.c said, it does help you learn.

I knew of a few things like seeing the outside of the map in one or two places, but I seriously couldnt work on it anymore. I've been getting more patient with every map I make. this one lasted almost twice as long as my others.

I am a ideas man, always wanting to go on to the next thing, thats the hardest part for me. (now if I was getting paid :))

At the moment, I wont be releasing another version, not untill I have a list of things and see things that really impact the map.

Alot of the time, if a mapper looks at your map, they'll see things wrong that the average gamer wouldnt. Its very good to know those to grow as a mapper.

The one thing I need to learn believe it or not is the BASICS. LIke the proper way to make & connect custom shapes (I know about the 2d editor e.t.c) and connect rooms properly. What I mean is if you see that Video tutorial on 3Dbuzz where they make that vertical level with the elevator in the middle. Its made with the exact units in mind and exact rotation of multiple brushes.

I dont have a problem with ideas, just when you teach yourself its not structured learning at all, everyone will learn different things first.

Thanks for all the feedback folks!

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by SkaarjMaster
DLed late, late last night, but will try tonight! Yes, make all those changes in the DM and DOM versions. This way we can avoid mismatches on servers. Wow, look at the time, isn't it about time for second breakfast? :D

If I make big changes I'd be calling it "special edition" in the name. i.e "Shire-SE"

Second breakfast :), 10 zeez, he knows about 11 zeez? Dont think so pip.

(if thats what you meant LMAO)

Sharpfish
01-22-2003, 10:44 AM
"but I seriously couldnt work on it anymore. I've been getting more patient with every map I make. this one lasted almost twice as long as my others.

I am a ideas man, always wanting to go on to the next thing, thats the hardest part for me. (now if I was getting paid )"

I know exactly what you mean, it could be `easy` to spend half a year on a map making it absolutely incredible.. but that is a lot of time to `waste` for little return.. esp when you get excited by the next idea. I too have been getting more patient with the 2k3 maps.. hence my current `slowdown` to gather thoughts and learn more about modeling etc. Though I have to admit I`ve been back in the editor the last 2 days working on a new CTF (eventualy dom/dm) level that is more exciting *for me* than all my other maps put together.. its taking time cos there are a lot of custom meshes/textures to put together. And this time I`ve learned a lot more so it will have proper Cubemaps, use of fog, better zoning etc.. should look and perform pretty well.

Look forward to your next map Bucky.

Sharpfish

legacy-Bananko
01-22-2003, 11:25 AM
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Where are all the hobbits in the map? :confused:

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Well Sharpfish, all the more props to you man, I'd love to just concentrate on Maya for example, but this need to master UED first has taken hold of me :)

You alot like me in mapping I think, from your maps it really show your an ideas man. all unique maps :up:

Cant wait to see what ya have up your sleeve :)

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Bananko
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Where are all the hobbits in the map? :confused:

If I knew how to make hobbits I'd put them in. :D

They dont grow on trees ya know

legacy-Bananko
01-22-2003, 11:45 AM
If I knew how to make hobbits I'd put them in. :D

They dont grow on trees ya know

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Are all the hobbits hiding in their homes, scared of all the "ringwraiths" running around the Shire firing shock rifles, missile launchers, flak cannons and such?

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 11:53 AM
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Are all the hobbits hiding in their homes, scared of all the "ringwraiths" running around the Shire firing shock rifles, missile launchers, flak cannons and such?

Your right, all of you are the hobbits thats why you fit in the houses. Just hobbits from the future sent back to help out frodo or sam. :)

legacy-0Xcel
01-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Good map, i like it, but i fell through the map once, i have a screen on it, but have yet to upload it, just gimme a few hours :p i have to go soon

legacy-Desperado#2-Rog
01-22-2003, 12:26 PM
I admit that I was writing that when It was late also. so I did not look it over. No hard feelings :)

Keep at it Buckyfg you are on the right path :)

legacy-Bananko
01-22-2003, 12:42 PM
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Does the local maiden that Frodo and Sam are fighting over appreciate the effort they are going through for her, or has she instead already run off with Merry and Pippen to Acapulco? :(

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 01:43 PM
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Does the local maiden that Frodo and Sam are fighting over appreciate the effort they are going through for her, or has she instead already run off with Merry and Pippen to Acapulco? :(

LOL, I think gandalf cast a spell and has her in the forest.

legacy-[SEOD]--|Ripley
01-22-2003, 02:25 PM
I can understand what Bucky means by the mapper will see things that the gamer wont. As me and bucky played a few rounds on CTF-Shire last night and i must say it was fun ( I got OWNED lol ) see for me i look and like or dislike and then just play the map , and as we were jumping around that much i never noticed any bugs problly because i dont really go looking for them lol, see if somthing like a bug dosnt jump out and hit me in the face its very rare i even notice its there, as most of the time im running around the map like my Ass is on fire.
But as i like this map so much i myself wouldnt mind seeing a SE version. See when you have great mappers like Teddie, desperado and Sharpfish helping out that tells you your onto a winner.:up: :up: :up:

legacy-Fisch
01-22-2003, 05:39 PM

mirror1: http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/119117.shtml
There are wait time there of course

45 min. wait time are to long... Any other mirrors?

legacy-Iceburgs
01-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Fisch,

Try the Unrealplayground link in Bucky's signature.

Also, Bucky, why don't you add a link and a mini screenshot in the gaming section on your website? :)

legacy-Fisch
01-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Thanks!

Dl now...

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Fisch,

Try the Unrealplayground link in Bucky's signature.

Also, Bucky, why don't you add a link and a mini screenshot in the gaming section on your website? :)

Ya I really have to update that. Havent had time yet, been already working on BR-Contact. will be a really kool map I think. FAR from done of course :)

Also the top link in the first post is for Unrealplayground too.

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
01-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Very great map. Nice and Shirey. A vast improvement over your other maps imo. :):up:

As for the crits. There are alot of places where you can see the edge of the terrain, and I'm not too keen on the sound the pump jobbie makes. Doesn't realy suit the old wooden look of it.

legacy-dreamstation
01-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Buckyfg - Just played it and I must say its very good! :):up: Although in some parts it runs a little chunky on my pc (no surprise as its a POS :D) and i dont like the fact that you can see the edge of the terrain as some peeps have already mentioned. But other than that its bloody good. I like the ring jump pads, the eye in the sky is great :up: and I like the addition of Mount doom in your skybox!

Ohh and nearly forgot, The raft on the water is excellently done. I like the way it sways with the water. Those nice extras make up for the couple of bad things! :)

Good work! :):up:

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
01-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by dreamstation
Ohh and nearly forgot, The raft on the water is excellently done. I like the way it sways with the water.
I forgot to mention that. Thought that was great.

Sharpfish
01-22-2003, 08:30 PM
"The raft on the water is excellently done. I like the way it sways with the water"

lol - I didn`t realise it was moving, this is a coincidence cos I have a couple of boats moored and swaying and bobbing in my new map.. Just wanted to clarify I wasn`t copying your idea.. I did this on Sunday night before I`d seen your map .. `great` minds think alike :)

Sharpfish

legacy-dreamstation
01-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Sounds like your next map is gonna be sweet Sharpfish! :):up:

Liked your other maps! :)

Sharpfish
01-22-2003, 08:51 PM
"Sounds like your next map is gonna be sweet Sharpfish! "

thanks Dreamstation - I hope so.

Should say it`s a couple of `decorative` rowing boats on a small lake that forms just a tiny part of the map ... dont want people getting the wrong ideas... (massive cruise liners spring to mind!)

Sorry BFG for minor thread hijack.

Rgds
Sharpfish

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 08:57 PM
OMG I just relealized my nick is BFG lol. (quake for those out of the loop)

thanks for all the kind words folks, I know there was issues, but I hoped that people wouldnt try to TL around the outside of the map :)

And Sharpfish, the floating raft moves very gently, so it can be hard to tell. and with that kind of idea, its a given, you cant steal that kind of thing, its really general. now if I made a level inside a working washing machine and you did too, then we'd have a problem lol.

Sharpfish
01-22-2003, 09:01 PM
"now if I made a level inside a working washing machine and you did too, then we'd have a problem lol"

You been speaking to my beta testers? lol ;)

Coming soon - DM-Whirlpool (Philips)™

Sharpfish

legacy-§uper-]V[oose
01-22-2003, 09:03 PM
thanks for all the kind words folks, I know there was issues, but I hoped that people wouldnt try to TL around the outside of the map :)
I think you meen walk. :p Not a big problem though.

legacy-dreamstation
01-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by sharpfish
"Sounds like your next map is gonna be sweet Sharpfish! "

thanks Dreamstation - I hope so.

Should say it`s a couple of `decorative` rowing boats on a small lake that forms just a tiny part of the map ... dont want people getting the wrong ideas... (massive cruise liners spring to mind!)

Sounds like its gonna be a killer! :):up:

Originally posted by sharpfish
Sorry BFG for minor thread hijack.

Ya sorry man!

legacy-dreamstation
01-22-2003, 09:08 PM
I know there was issues, but I hoped that people wouldnt try to TL around the outside of the map :)

Cant you use a blocking volume to block the translocator but then when you shoot the TL out there it would bounce off an invisible wall :D

legacy-Capt_13M
01-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Absolutly breathtaking Bucky the skybox is tremendous and you scared me when you released it saying there were trouble spots on your machine,for mine is 1/2 what you have and this map runs very smooth at 1024x768 32bit all details on high. doubles frames @ 16bit color. truly awsome and a definite keeper.Fanx

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by dreamstation
Cant you use a blocking volume to block the translocator but then when you shoot the TL out there it would bounce off an invisible wall :D

I have blocking volumes all around the map. I just couldnt work on it anymore. and there are a few spots, but its out now.

BTW no problem on highjacking the post, it onlybumps it for me anyway :)

Capt_13M, I think my drivers are screwed. I also have major SB Live 5.1 card problems. F'n win XP and SBlive combo suks!!

peace out!

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Check it out, I got good front page props for my map at this site:
http://www.ut-2003.de/ I couldnt read it so I had to use babelfish to translate it.

They REALLY like my maps over there across the ocean, for some reason the do well in Europe.

P.S I have NO idea how my map got around that fast.
Its only up at two places. I have a feeling the game in general is more popular across the ocean.

legacy-DeRailer
01-22-2003, 10:43 PM
I think the final product makes a fine ctf map. Like many have already covered, fun gameplay is what's important in the long run.
I like the changes you did to the Super Shield Placement, it's better than the beta since it doesn't serve as an obstecle to the flow, not <i>that</i> much anyway.
I hate to go against the majority here to say this isn't ownage material. I like the gameplay, but Cliffy's expectation on graphic is pretty high, and the blocky parts aren't helping. Recent maps like Trees of Ages, Vertigo, Frozen, Modern History and Unearthed has probably raised the bar quite a bit.
But the map will stay on servers for some time.

legacy-dreamstation
01-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Buckyfg - CTF-Shire is now up on UT2003HQ (sorry for the delay)

Link - http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1403

:):up:

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 11:53 PM
DeRailer, the thing about those maps is there are generally few meshes (usually large ones) and few small details , most maps out there that (especially on Cliff's page) are VERY well done maps. It just seems to me that I will remember a map like 2019, even though that ones not playable :) , longer than treeo***es for example.'

CTF-Shire probably has 30 more textures than those maps. so many maps have two terrain textures MAX (havent played ALL but most of them) it seems I have to do less but be more mathamatical actually to get ownage. Not a bash just observation

P.S making a totally smooth round door was not feasible, it is blocky I know. and terrain can be a real Bit©H when you have to have buildings partly under it. I wanted the grass to come right to the edge of the top of the doors.

ANd I dont think my maps will get ownage anytime soon, because they dont fit into his taste. (I hate having to clarify everything rghh, I think his map choices are GOOD!!!, just to sparse to me)
I think its because I've done web design for years. I like the small things , the final additions really make the map.

Take that as you may, but hear this :) NONe of it is putting down anyones maps!! the ones he mentioned are some of the best ones out there

legacy-Buckyfg
01-22-2003, 11:55 PM
dreamstation, thanks :)

One more thing, I'm thankful for people thinking I should get ownage but remember I only started mapping for ANY game in mid October.

Thanks guys.

Later

Buckyfg

legacy-Iceburgs
01-23-2003, 01:24 AM
Hey Bucky, if you ever figure out that sblive 5.1 sound issue, let me know. Thanks!

legacy-Farting Bob
01-23-2003, 03:42 AM
You're a good mapper Buck!

legacy-Lio Convoy
01-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Nice looking map, however, thoughout the map, as I play, I get graphical glitches like this one. This is the only map out of the 100 or so I've downloaded and played that this happens on.

Here are some pics of the glitch.

http://www.photocountry.com/users/9950/glitch1.jpg
This pic shows the glitch.

http://www.photocountry.com/users/9950/glitch2.jpg
This one shows it as it's supposed to look, if I move my mouse just a little bit.

I don't think it's my video card, or I'd have seen this glitch pop up before now, I do a lot of downloading of maps. This happens in a few places, looking out of the windows, going out the doors, and even when out in the open running around. I can't play it like this, it throws my game off too much.

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm using an ATI All IN Wonder Radeon 7500 BTW

Lio Convoy

legacy-Buckyfg
01-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Damn that really sucks. I've never had that problem.
It could be the ATi card. even though it doesnt happen on other maps, there might be something in this map that will ony effect that card, No idea.

I hope others reply with more info.

O and to the people who said mentioned the "floating tree" its in such an obscure place, you have to be looking for it to find it.

I didnt notice it while making the map. or playing it BUT if I do a updated version , that will be fixed

legacy-Teddie
01-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Looks like he might be standing half-in / half-out of a zone portal sheet...

I don't have anything helpful to say...

Is any of that terrain poking into that inside zone?

(scratching head...)

Okay, gotta get back to work.

legacy-Buckyfg
01-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Teddie
Looks like he might be standing half-in / half-out of a zone portal sheet...

I don't have anything helpful to say...

Is any of that terrain poking into that inside zone?

(scratching head...)

Okay, gotta get back to work.

The thing is I dont have a zone portal in the window he was standing in, no idea :(

legacy-Buckyfg
01-23-2003, 08:46 PM
OK, this is pretty trippy, theres a site that breaks down your map (didnt even know it was there) and shows what textures u have how many lights, health e.t.c crazyness :)

http://tuubi51.adsl.netsonic.fi/UTCMS/files/preview/texture/?file_idnt=61729&class=Texture

legacy-[OC]Mr B
01-24-2003, 11:18 AM
And Sharpfish, the floating raft moves very gently, so it can be hard to tell.

It doesn't "sway" gently when you jump on it and use it as a diving board...LOL

Awesome map, BTW... thanks for all the effort on this one. :up: :up:

B.

legacy-Xanax.5
01-24-2003, 05:57 PM
If you have only mapped since October this is damn nice. It's hard to please everyone especially those who have no idea what it takes to construct a map.

legacy-Buckyfg
01-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Xanax.5
If you have only mapped since October this is damn nice. It's hard to please everyone especially those who have no idea what it takes to construct a map.

Thanks alot Xanax.5 (BTW is there a Xanax1.0? :))

Ya if you dont map theres no way to really appreciate the work involved. I'm only at about 40% of what I want to make.

Most mappers in the industry have years under their belt. I'm really trying to speed up the process lol, I spend ALOT of time in the editor. basicly I started mapping mid Oct and have now released 4 maps and have two semi-done.

Normally creative projects for me come easy, not so in mapping, soo much work (alot of thinking involved) compared to music and web design, of course alot of that is learning the hundreds of options.

Thanks again man

Buckyfg

legacy-Zyz
01-24-2003, 06:57 PM
From a mappers point of view i'm amazed, from a gamers point of view i'm amazed. :D hehe good map :)

legacy-FalconNL
01-24-2003, 07:21 PM
I e-mailed Buckyfg this night if he would consider making another LotR-style map, with a Gondor vs. Mordor theme.
Like I said in my mail: "Flags could be in Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul, You would have to go through Osgilath halfway through the (probably really large) map, maybe dodging some flying Nazgul... it would be THE best map around."
Unfortunately, Buckyfg wants a new style in every map so he won't make it. So the obvious question is: are there any mappers out there with some time on their hands and knowledge of LotR?
If anyone could make this make I would be so happy :D.

Will anyone attempt this project?

legacy-Buckyfg
01-26-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by FalconNL
I e-mailed Buckyfg this night if he would consider making another LotR-style map, with a Gondor vs. Mordor theme.
Like I said in my mail: "Flags could be in Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul, You would have to go through Osgilath halfway through the (probably really large) map, maybe dodging some flying Nazgul... it would be THE best map around."
Unfortunately, Buckyfg wants a new style in every map so he won't make it. So the obvious question is: are there any mappers out there with some time on their hands and knowledge of LotR?
If anyone could make this make I would be so happy :D.

Will anyone attempt this project?

Ya sorry Falcon, things are moving fast here, I am probably going to join a serious MOD team. I'm sure someone will do more LOTR maps, I think its a given

legacy-digimortal1622
01-26-2003, 11:54 AM
Buckyfg, I would have wrote sooner, but RL sometimes invades, weather we want it to or not!!:) I'm probally going to sound like a broken record with all the positive things that have allready been said, so I'll keep it brief!
As is the norm from you, your maps visuals are great, really capturing the lush, green, almost tropical feel that I like to escape to in these winter months. My favorite spot is on the bridge with the bent trees near the center of the map. NICE!! The flow is great and I really like the jump "rings"!! Nice for a fast get away!!
:D As I've mentioned before, I'm not a big LOTR fan, but you don't have to be to enjoy a quality map such as this. The music fits the feel of the map nicely.:up:
Anyway, as I promissed I'll keep the gushing brief!! Lastly, I feel lately there have been some beautiful maps were the playability seems almost nonexistant. I know your maps will offer great visuals AND decent game play, CTF Shire shines on both accounts!:up: :up:
Digimortal