PDA

View Full Version : [MOD] Assault

legacy-maniac12ca
10-20-2002, 10:46 AM
The RoAR team si making a Assault mod for all you fans out there.
It will be a port with new options.

here si our link.

http://ut2k3assault.cjb.net/

EDIT:
is only a redirection link.

Use this direct link to avoid pop-ups etc.
http://www.fahadkhan.org/roar/

legacy-Helios
10-20-2002, 10:56 AM
WOah :):up:

Hope you guys make something great

legacy-Peopls
10-20-2002, 11:03 AM
If I were you I'd get rid of that huge Gator installation thing that pops up.
If i went to download a mod and that tried to install itself I would NOT download the mod since I'd think it was riddled with spyware!

If you like I could host you.
Gimme a mail at admin@pcgf.co.uk if you like

legacy-maniac12ca
10-20-2002, 11:43 AM
I'll ask teh boss.

legacy-esti_the_big
10-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Great!!!
You going to have Bot support for the mod?

legacy-maniac12ca
10-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Of couse! I think pretty good support 2.

legacy-esti_the_big
10-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Thats good. I cant afford always playing online, and actually im quite fond of playing offline. I just hope all other mods will have descent bot-support, especially those which use vehicles.

btw, a little question bout your mod:

Could you make steerable guntowers? I mean, in old UT there were computer-steered guntowers that defended the base. To make them steerable by players wouldnt be a big problem (at least I think so, Im no coder or semi-proffesional mapper), since Ut2k3 supports Steerable vehicles?!

legacy-Doc_EDo
10-20-2002, 12:22 PM
is a redirection link.

Use this direct link to avoid pop-ups etc.
http://www.fahadkhan.org/roar/

legacy-THERAILMCCOY
10-20-2002, 01:18 PM
Could i suggest that when you're porting the original maps you retain the same atmosphere and style but also include perhaps one or two alternate routes on those original maps that featured only one path to the objectives? For instance 'Overlord' just ended up being a monotonous spam-fest down narrow corridors and choke points with no optional route and many other maps had similar problems (Frigate, Guardia, High Speed). Return to Castle Wolfenstein featured excellent maps with multiple means of reaching your target in every map and CS was similarly well designed. Also balance is required so neither offence or defense has a massive advantage. Assault is a fantastic gametype for UT2003's gameplay style, it just needs better maps than the original. Good luck with the mod.

legacy-GeneralSpecific
10-20-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Doc_Edo
The problem isn't the wide open spaces - its when the objectives are all littered around in that wide open space. Personally, I love overlord, and it has two large battlefields (the gun room and the landing) - the thing is that they both have a chokepoint on enter and exit, and chokepoints are what make Assault the game that it is.
While high speed is fast and easy, it has one great feature - anybody can understand it. You don't get lost in HS the way you get lost in that goddamn underwater map. HS is the AS level I play the most, just 'cause I can get the newbies into it. All you have to explain is "Attackers are trying to make it to the front - meaning go where the train is heading. Switch on top floor of car 1, then door on bottom to win".
I think a chief problem with AS maps is they don't give the defenders a chance to regroup. Once an objective is completed, the attackers can rush through to the next room, while the defenders have to find their way through to their next defense point. Having some more "delays" (long hallways to run down, or better yet - doors that take a long time to open) before the attackers can start hitting the next objective is good.
Notice I said *start* hitting the next objective. If it takes a long time each time you want to hit the next objective, its just annoying. Respawning at the helicopter when the fight is at car 1 in HS fscking sucks. What I mean is a nice, loud voice saying "Gate will open in 20 seconds" when you hit the switch to open it, giving everyone time to get in position for the next battle.
Another common problem in AS is the lack of instant understanding of the map. Take one look at Face, Hall of Giants, Dreary, or any other CTF map and you'll see there's pretty good indications of where you're going. They use the team colours, banners, motifs, etc to show you which way to head for the flag. Now look at some DOM and AS maps and tell me where the hell I'm supposed to be going. If you haven't played them multiple times before, you're screwed.
Here's a couple of solutions to solve it - first, don't make AS a "first to one point" game - make it multiple rounds, play it best 2 out of 3, or 3 of 5 or something. This way the fact that the rounds last under a minute doesn't matter, you'll get more tries at it. Alternately, you could do it as a cumulative time over several games, but I think simply doing it as a "we were faster, we win this round" system is better, playing to a set score.
Another solution is making the maps more readable. A DOM point looks like a DOM point. A flag looks like a flag, and has big banners and colours to tell you its nearby. An AS objective looks like? Make constant graphics for AS objectives. I suggest 3 types of object - platforms, looking like a giant circular platform you step on - this is for the "get there" objectives; Levers, for the "touch this" objective; and targets, for the "shoot this" objectives. Number the objectives, and put signs on the map showing where each objective is. If they're consecutive, make them numerical, if they can be done simultaneously (like the 2 chains, or the underwater map) give them letters - so the chains would be 1a and 1b, the front door is 2, the back door is 3, and the crystal is 4. The underwater map would just be a, b, c, and d. Make this clear, so a player can spawn in, grab some guns, and see "I have to go that way for obj 1" - then at objective 1, the player can see "oh, now which way to 2". Make this for both teams - and Overlord had an excellent system of helping the defenders get around from place to place - giving the defenders a backdoor system to allow them to quickly move around the level is an excellent feature. Combine this with a forced delay on the objectives and you'll never see the stupid 40 second games, cause then you know the defenders will be in position before the attackers get there.

(sorry for the long quote)
TBH, it's this post that has me a bit worried about the project. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed, but I'm not holding my breath :/

legacy-gilm0re
10-20-2002, 01:54 PM
VIVA LA ASSAULT!

Heya guys...Lemme just say...Make sure you get AS-GrandCanyon in there as a default...:)

legacy-maniac12ca
10-20-2002, 01:54 PM
I'll check here often but if you can please post any concearns/ideas you have on our forum.thx.

legacy-maniac12ca
10-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Gilly...We'll do our best.

legacy-Doc_EDo
10-20-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific
(sorry for the long quote)
TBH, it's this post that has me a bit worried about the project. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed, but I'm not holding my breath :/
I don't remember posting that. It sure doesn't sound as something I would say. :bulb:
I think that's something someone suggested to me at one point.
Would you please post a link where you found that, or just delete that quote?! :mad:

legacy-GeneralSpecific
10-20-2002, 03:02 PM
You may be right (unable to get to the forums ATM) in which case, all apologies :)

legacy-Draco 84
10-20-2002, 05:23 PM
If some original maps are made for the AS mod I would suggest making some maps America's Army-style. Both the large outdoor and smaller indoor maps in that game are great for Attack and Defend.
This should be a great mod though!
Can't wait to see it in action.

legacy-maniac12ca
10-20-2002, 05:40 PM
We will be having mnay new maps made by our team.

legacy-Doc_EDo
10-20-2002, 05:41 PM
We will make 5 min maps, as well as 30 min maps.

legacy-fragba1t
10-20-2002, 08:31 PM
Its great to read that you are making a AS mod, it was prolly my fav mode in UT (even tho i was mainly a Q3 player :rolleyes: ) good luck with the project and i look forward to playing it!

legacy-onan
10-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys! I am so relieved that my friends and I will get to play Assault with UT2003.

I was sooo disappointed when I bought the game that I wanted to give it back.

Assault is by far the most interesting mode to play. God knows why those idiots chose to leave it out.

How good was OVERLORD, GUARDIA, LAVA FORT, PROTOTYPE, etc, etc, etc ???

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

legacy-SpacePirate
10-21-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by onan

How good was OVERLORD, GUARDIA, LAVA FORT, PROTOTYPE, etc, etc, etc ???

I'd really like to see Golgotha and Desertstorm in the new assault :) maybe the authors will redo them for ut2 who knows...
Golgotha is my fav :D

legacy-BabyNuke
10-21-2002, 06:17 AM
Sweet!

Assault was always my favorite!

Mr. Brownstone
10-21-2002, 09:56 AM
Guardia = :mad::up:

legacy-SDCbisonbison
10-21-2002, 10:18 PM
good luck roar guys, im looking forward to the mod :)

legacy-maniac12ca
10-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Thankx for all your compliments.We shall do our best.

legacy-Fragem
10-22-2002, 07:51 PM
Assault R0xors

legacy-BigChiefCrazyCone
10-22-2002, 08:42 PM

I was sooo disappointed when I bought the game that I wanted to give it back.

Didn't you look at the back of the box?

legacy-onan
10-22-2002, 08:53 PM
I ordered it online.

Smartarse.. ;)

legacy-Sleekage
10-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Looks great guys. But I have a suggestion, instead of using time, would it be possible to give each side 'lives' instead? Like, take out time completely and replace them with lives like in Last Man Standing. You dont have to make this if you dont want to, but it would be really sweet. Also, if you DO make that, could you make it so you can switch between "Time" and "Lives" mode? Just for the people who don't like the idea. :)

legacy-Doc_EDo
10-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Nice idea.
We are planning to implement the MAX LIVES option just like it is in other UT2k3's gametypes, but the game still will be limited by time too.

We'll check about an option to take out time completely, but I can't promise anything about it at this point.

legacy-Mortag
10-23-2002, 04:11 PM
Assault rules!:up:
Try to avoid the few disadvantages Assault had in UT (40sec matches) and your mod is going to be very cool.

legacy-BronzeMan
10-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Could you make a status bar on the site? also I woulden't mind mapping for this mod, I allways loved assault.I am also trying to tool with the vehicles if I actually get something done with them I'll show you it.

Edit: errrrg I just noticed you have a status page :bulb:

legacy-Doc_EDo
10-24-2002, 11:08 AM
You're welcome to map for UT2k3 Assault. Just go to our forums and register. Then you'll be able to show us your work etc... ;)
http://www.fahadkhan.org/roar/yabbse/index.php

legacy-maniac12ca
10-24-2002, 06:03 PM
The more mappers the merrier.

legacy-UC|deWolf
10-25-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Mortag
Try to avoid the few disadvantages Assault had in UT (40sec matches) and your mod is going to be very cool.

Actually, maps like Overlord can be completed in 14..16 seconds and Frigate in 15..16 LOL.

On the other hand, some maps like guardia often run full time if both teams are on the ball.

IMO, there are places for both long and short maps.
Short ~ medium maps are suitable for league matches and long ones favour general online/offline play.

UC|deWolf Assault mapper

http://www.unrealcore.de
http://www.planetunreal.com/unrealcore

legacy-SpacePirate
10-25-2002, 10:47 AM
What are the fastest completion times for the coldsteel maps?
And golgotha :-)

legacy-UC|deWolf
10-25-2002, 12:38 PM
Ummm, (embarassed grin), can't remember :/
There used to be whole list of record times published on the UTASsault.net site, but I just can't locate them now. Think the owners may have closed that section down :(

One unfortunate aspect of some maps were bugs that allowed objectives to be reached by "dirty tricks". I have in mind Ocean Floor which could be completed entirely from outside of the station and Golgotha where the final objective could be completed from Huron's path. Fortunately mappers are now aware of the side effects of certain weapons :/

p.s. If you contact somebody like Phear or Martz, they may have copies of the old records page or at least be able to put you in contact with someone who has.

legacy-DarkHydra
10-25-2002, 06:24 PM
I'd rather wait for Assault 2, aka Unreal: Conflict; (http://www.infinitegames.co.uk) - but every Assault mod is nice :up: :)

legacy-Excelsiore
10-25-2002, 07:31 PM
With Eavy's Assault pack(ie launching, spawnkilling etc disabled) the best I've done on a Standard UT Assault map online is about 40 seconds. This is the time it takes to get from point A-->B when the defense is non-existant. Why is this so strange or wrong to people?

legacy-UC|deWolf
10-26-2002, 07:31 AM
I may be wrong in my assumptions, but I think a large variance in completion times boils down to this:

The North American players tend to favour 100%FF and its attendant launch difficulties, while the Europeans go for 0%FF and a "Get there by any possible means" approach.

legacy-maniac12ca
10-26-2002, 09:12 AM
I live in canada and I love launching and I dont play with FF at all. I know alot fo american players the same way. Try the damit clan BAM server.

legacy-Doc_EDo
10-26-2002, 10:43 AM
UC|deWolf, I thought it was opposite?!?! :weird:

legacy-dumbass
10-26-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by maniac12ca
The RoAR team si making a Assault mod for all you fans out there.
It will be a port with new options.

here si our link.

screw gator, f'in spyware:down:

legacy-maniac12ca
10-26-2002, 11:57 AM
I don't know why its there. I have no charge of the site. My advice:dont dl it.

legacy-UC|deWolf
10-26-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Doc_EDo
UC|deWolf, I thought it was opposite?!?! :weird:

No Doc, just look at any of the matches that are played in the UTASsault league. You will see more launches than you can shake a stick at. The reason I thought that N.A. players did not like it, was due to the number of them that have voiced extreme displeasure whenever the subject has come up in chat rooms.

legacy-Doc_EDo
10-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Those must be NA's UTAS league players.
Players on NA public servers like [DAMIT]BAM love launching.

legacy-Doc_EDo
11-01-2002, 12:34 PM
Look here anthonyng!! ;)

legacy-Doc_EDo
11-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Our web page has been updated.
You can see some new screenies and read some other stuff.

Direct link has been changed now.
It's http://www.roar.fahadkhan.org/
If the direct link changes you can always find it using
http://ut2k3assault.cjb.net, but that link has some pop-ups that you may want to avoid.

legacy-Railgunner
11-15-2002, 07:11 PM
/me waits for as-overlord to be redone and the original music comes with it

legacy-Red_dwarf
11-15-2002, 07:36 PM
Great news :up:

All you need to do to make this be a great mod is;-

Release a beta
Listen to the community
Fix the problems

:)

legacy-Doc_EDo
11-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Yeah, that's what we have planned to do.

legacy-{SUYM}_Ajax
11-16-2002, 06:50 AM
should be a great mod and doc dont forget my offer of beta testing ;)

as for how fast for Golgotha time i would guess just shy of the 2min mark though could be as fast as just over a min if you pulled every launch off and got temple doors dam fast and met no def at final objective, not sure just guessing here though

legacy-SpacePirate
11-16-2002, 08:47 AM
I love Golgotha's ending :D
Feckin' sweet :up:
Can you imagine anything similar to that in this new game? Would seriously rock!

Emmet Otter
11-27-2002, 09:18 PM
Theres a map you can download at UT2k3assault, and its called "Gladiator". I wonder if there a way to view it. Maybe you guys have seen this but i havent.

Mr. Brownstone
11-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Mortag
Try to avoid the few disadvantages Assault had in UT (40sec matches) and your mod is going to be very cool. Nuts to that! Finishing maps quickly is what gives Assault the edge; Your defense had better be top-notch or its game-over (http://www.clan-elite.org/images/gallery/dark_overlord_crys_big.gif) before you know it. ;)

Most team-work oriented game-mode ever. :up:

legacy-SealClubber
11-27-2002, 10:05 PM
when making the maps...

BRING BACK AS-GRANDCANYON and AS-COLDSTEEL

:up: :up: :up: :D

legacy-{SUYM}_Ajax
11-28-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by SpacePirate
What are the fastest completion times for the coldsteel maps?
And golgotha :-)

most clans will have a record zone on thier web page while these anit always the fastest ever time poss they normaly pretty close.

Suym's can be found on www.suym.de for other clans time use the clan listing on the www.utassault.net page and follow the links to their pages dunno times for coldsteel though cos it had a bug it was removed ages and ages ago from the league

Plumb_Drumb
11-28-2002, 08:20 AM
All i can say about this mod, is the maps need to be technically and aesthetically superb.

Shock Systems made some of the best Assault maps for UT, and if you ever tried the Assault Bonus Pack by Eavy (had some Shock Systems maps in it), you would know what quality Assault maps are like.

Sometimes i miss UT for that Assault BP. :(

legacy-DeRailer
11-28-2002, 08:28 AM
coldsteel, coldersteel, coldsteel2? They all rocks. :up:
But bridge is still the best assault map I've ever played. Coldsteel2 is a very close 2nd.

legacy-Doc_EDo
11-29-2002, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Reversion
Theres a map you can download at UT2k3assault, and its called "Gladiator". I wonder if there a way to view it. Maybe you guys have seen this but i havent.
AS-Gladiator is a UT map.

legacy--ProXImus-
11-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Brownstone
Guardia = :mad::up:

some guys dunno what good maps are (spam-maps) :p

legacy--Loric-
11-30-2002, 02:31 AM
In the editor, which properties do you add to an object in order for it to become an objective (intermediary or final)?

legacy-Doc_EDo
11-30-2002, 07:16 AM
You need special custom actors.

legacy-Sett
12-01-2002, 02:44 PM
If you make it I will come.

... I mean map for it:D

One problem that I have with AS maps is the "all the goals in a straight line"

This defeats the 'team' aspect of AS

I have a very Kick-ass idea for AS, I was pissed that Epic desided to drop AS

legacy-Doc_EDo
12-01-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Sett
"all the goals in a straight line"

The trouble is making maps playable with bots and maps ending too fast.

If goals are in a straight line it's actually possible to defend a map. Otherwise defending is futile...

legacy-maniac12ca
12-03-2002, 09:27 PM
I dont mind launching sometimes..but in ut2k3 i wouldnt mind playing it right.

legacy-SealClubber
12-03-2002, 11:40 PM
yea, AS-Brige and AS-Coldsteel/coldersteel/coldsteal2 will always be the big dogs of assult

legacy-Scott Free
12-04-2002, 10:01 AM

Assault is by far the most interesting mode to play. God knows why those idiots chose to leave it out.

Because noone was playing it online and it was the hardest gamemode to map for? :rolleyes:

legacy-Doc_EDo
12-04-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Scott Free
Because noone was playing it online and it was the hardest gamemode to map for? :rolleyes:

It is far "the hardest gamemode to map for"...but that "noone was playing it online" proves that you're just one of those n00bz taking without having the facts....

legacy-Kev_Boy
12-04-2002, 11:20 AM
When I didn't feel like CTF (wich I played the most) I'd always enjoy a good round of AS :up:

legacy-Scott Free
12-05-2002, 06:30 PM
No, I'm not the n00b.
The Epic employees that made such comments were. :rolleyes:

legacy-Doc_EDo
12-16-2002, 06:50 PM
Site updated with screenies for you to check out. ;)
http://www.roar.fahadkhan.org/

legacy-Railgunner
12-16-2002, 07:04 PM
I read the guide and found this funny.

n00b: Walks around asking for directions (doesn't want to press F3 and read it for himself or play a map offline only once), falls into lava and taunts "You suck" 10 times. After he respawns he shoots at plants, birds and cows, hoping they are anything and falls into lava again.

legacy-Tweak-fragger
12-16-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by -ProXImus-
some guys dunno what good maps are (spam-maps) :p

Spam maps suck, takes no skill

legacy-Bananko
01-03-2003, 12:46 AM
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp What's the latest word on this?

legacy-Doc_EDo
01-03-2003, 06:06 AM
Coding 99% done. Making maps now. 2 done, need 3-4 more for a beta.

legacy-Hacku
01-03-2003, 06:34 AM
:up:

legacy-GeforceFX
01-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Doc_EDo
It is far "the hardest gamemode to map for"...but that "noone was playing it online" proves that you're just one of those n00bz taking without having the facts....
get serious dude... no1 played it online

it had like 100 players when all other game modes had over 700

nice to see it back tho

legacy-Doc_EDo
01-03-2003, 07:09 AM
You're uninformed, not to say ignorant.

legacy-ExiledHunter_6
01-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Not to be an ass or anything, but please update your website a little more often. Even if it's useless info about the mod, just let us know how close you are, expected release date, so on and so on.......

Thank YOu!

legacy-Doc_EDo
01-03-2003, 05:59 PM
Smaller news can be found in our forums.
Link is on the site.

legacy-Killroy X
01-03-2003, 08:04 PM
99%! This is good news! Keep up the good work.
I look forward to playing this.

legacy-Railgunner
01-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Don't forget AS-Overlord and its music.

I aint waiting any longer to play it. :D :up:

legacy-Doc_EDo
01-21-2003, 04:30 PM
UT2k3 Assault web page has been upated
with work in progress screenies of maps and mutators as well as other information.

Kyllian
01-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Where can I get that 'Mini-Instagib' mute? It not listed in download section

legacy-Kaadu
01-22-2003, 12:53 AM
Realease a Alpha or somthing!!!!!

MUST HAVE MY ASSAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

legacy-Doc_EDo
01-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Kel
Where can I get that 'Mini-Instagib' mute? It not listed in download section

That will be included in the mod.

legacy-Doc_EDo
01-22-2003, 01:26 PM
We also have another redirect.
http://ut2k3assault.hopto.org/

legacy-Kaadu
01-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Hehehehe

I went to your new page and it said I couldn't load it because of popularity:cool:

legacy-Doc_EDo
01-23-2003, 09:01 AM
It goes down from time to time because of traffic, but just try again later.