I know this isn't a Judgment post, but this is the closest place I could find to a "Future Games" forum.
EDIT: In case point 1 was less than clear; there would be no executions.
Ok, before I get flamed into hell for suggesting Gears go FPS, hear me out. Cliffy B has always said Epic will not make a Gears game w/out Locust (i.e. Pendulum Wars (PW)). I haven’t found specific reasons why but it’s a fair bet that chainsawing fellow human beings (as well as the rest of executions) just doesn’t have the right feel and the outcry from censors and what-not is something they just don’t want to deal with. Moreover, I can’t imagine a contemporary Gears game human on human. However, introducing a FPS with the feel of Gears is something else entirely, and there are other advantages:
1. No lancers – I know some will hate this but the PW was before they were invented and executions/sawing don’t fit an FPS.
2. Traviss’ books detail weaponry and tactics never brought to the games b/c they just didn’t fit: Longspears, gut-punchers, Petrel airstrikes, and UIR weapons. This wider weapon and tactic selection could easily be incorporated into a FPS.
3. Community – Just check these forums, a huge number of players want to see a PW game.
4. Backstory Opportunity – The PW lasted decades; the levels in a FPS could span this time providing new insight into the Gears universe and how our favorite characters became who they are.
5. People Can Fly - However you feel about PCF’s shooter, you can’t deny that it was beautifully rendered. With good planning, a partner like PCF could make one hell of Gears FPS.
Ok, I’ll be fair let’s look at some negative arguments:
1. Comparisons to a certain other franchise – These comparisons will be made, but with enough of Cliffy B’s “polishing” a Gears FPS could be a real competitor and perhaps draw more players and if those players like the game they might go look at the previous titles in the franchise.
2. Gears is just not a FPS – Other games have branched out, Warcraft used to be a strategic warfare game, but creating a MMORPG in that universe took it to the next level; without insulting its predecessors.
3. Gears is team focused – Other FPS have worked the team aspect well, in particular I liked Rainbow Six Vegas.
I’m not saying it would be easy and there would always be some who just won’t embrace a big change like this; but I do feel this is the only way to get a Pendulum Wars Gears game.
Ok, now I’m just going to throw you some mission ideas and then you can all slow-roast me over an open fire.
1. Young Bernie sniper mission where her performance at the end results in her getting promoted to Sergeant. Might have young Hoffman cameo.
2. Pesanga stealth mission, could be during Anvil Gate siege, but not necessarily.
3. Some early Spec-ops mission resulting in getting the intel that the UIR is building the Hammer at Aspho Fields.
4. Any kind of ancillary characters could be examined: Helena Stroud, Adam Fenix when he was a Gear, Dom’s father.
Please add your own thoughts on how to make this idea better.