I am having the strangest crash bug. It's been happening all afternoon:
If I create a new material, setting the blend more to BLEND_masked, apply this material to an object in the scene, them attempt to change to view mode to "LightMap Density" UDK will crash.
After extensive, frustrating testing, I have come up with the following information:
- If I apply a previously created BLEND_masked material it does NOT crash (likewise if I open up a scene using one)
- If I modify the existing previously created - including both assigning a different mask texture or stripping down the material to just a Diffuse and OpacityMask input, or both - it will NOT crash
- If I make a copy of a previously created material and try the above changes it does NOT crash
- If I take a previously created material that is NOT BLEND_masked and set it to such and plug something into Opacity Mask, it does NOT crash
- The crash ONLY seems to occur when I make a NEW material FROM SCRATCH, apply it to an object in the scene, then change the view mode
- The crash occurs when the material is applied a mesh with lightmap UVs or a BSB cube, it makes no difference.
- UDK will not crash so long as nothing is plugged into OpacityMask. Even with BLEND_masked turned on. Once something is plugged into OpacityMask the crash will occur.
- It does not seem to matter how complex or simple the material is. Most of my testing was done with a single 32bit texture plugged into diffuse and opacity
- I have tested this on both my PC and on my Laptop with identical results
- This is occurring with the May2012 built on my PC and my Laptop, as well as the March2012 build on my laptop
In effect, I can replicated exactly an existing BLEND_masked material and the new one will cause the crash while the old one will not. Furthermore I can modify the existing material in anyway and not have it crash.
Critically, this has only started happening this afternoon. All my previously created materials have been and continue to work fine, including ones I made this morning before the crashing began.
I have tried creating new materials in my main package and in completely new packages to no effect. When testing on my laptop I copied across my main package into the may2012 directory, so one possibility is that the inclusion of the package itself is somehow causing the crash - though this doesn't explain why it would effect the March2012 build which does not include it in it's directory structure.
I've even tried turning my PC off and on again.
Any ideas? I'm at a complete loss.