I've been thinking for a while about how I want to contribute to the UDK community moving forward. I started by making video tutorials (VoxHouseStudio on Youtube), and plan to continue that but I want to contribute something more. There's always the problem of finding good information without a lot of searching, filtering through poorly done or vague material, and so on. I notice a lot of people complaining about that. So that's one thing I've been actively thinking of solutions for.
I registered the domain http://udk.me several months ago and sat on it for a bit. Now I am starting to build it out and have come a good ways with the infrastructure, so I'm ready to start talking about the site and getting feedback, and inviting participation. It's definitely a work in progress but I hope you see the potential. Ignore the blogs for now as they are dated and somewhat filler-ish.
The key concept of this website is providing a balanced range of information - all things UDK in one pitstop. For now, from the front page you can find:
- Latest recommended videos, which will be filtered for quality and contain content primarily by experienced UDK users. They can range from tutorials, to WIP's and trailers, to vlogs..
- Productivity Tips: I have 10 years of experience in Unreal Editor and I will share some of it here. I also invite you to offer your tips in this thread. You will be credited with a link back to your profile if your tip is used. Tips are refreshed every minute or you can refresh them manually without needing to refresh the entire page with it.
- News & "rumor". At a glance, you will find out what's up with things like the release schedule, new features, links to official statements - things that are normally scattered around forums or random articles.
- An easy search function in the form of a question... a cosmetic thing but I think it will encourage its use.
- Blog/Editorials: I will talk about whatever I damn well please here, in relation to UDK game and film creation. Maybe guest bloggers will be invited on occasion.
- A Help section, which is at present only an FAQ but will expand to links to other resources.
- And of course, our YouTube channel, aptly named UDKVideos - which will host our original content and the cream of the crop from the community.
This may expand into further things in the future.
Here's how video contributions will work:
There are plenty of you out there who have done good solid videos, whether tutorial wise or vlogs or what have you. Show me your channel, and a video or two that you're particularly proud of or think would add to the diversity on offer at our site. Have us host it on UDK.Me, and we will link back to your channel. Maybe you don't think your stuff is that great? Don't be shy. I judge by the folllowing simple criteria:
- Your video is of good visual quality, and at least 720p.
- Preferably, you speak fairly clearly and don't have ridiculous amounts of distracting noise.
- Your content makes sense and provides answers and mostly stays on topic.
Site navigation: You may notice that the website's navigation is patterned after the file menu system in the UDK. You may find this confusing. Don't worry. The navigation menu is somewhat secondary as most important information will be organized in some other way from the front page itself anyway. Where it's not obvious, eg. "View" leading to videos, important sections will be under "File", and most other items found in these menus will be more like easter eggs when all is said and done. A treasure trove of new material to discover
Other easter eggs will reveal themselves soon. You'll see what I mean. The goal is to make this site interesting and a good UDK hangout!
Got anything else you think I might be interested in? Please feel free to post here or drop me a line via the UDKVideos channel linked above. Please do not attempt to PM me here or email the site, there is no functional address there yet and my inbox here is too full. Tank ya.