News From Epic Games - May 2012 UDK Beta Released
Epic Games Releases May 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta
Epic Games, Inc. has released the May 2012 Unreal Development Kit Beta, the latest version of the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides access to the award-winning 3D game engine and professional toolset used in blockbuster videogame development, architectural visualization, mobile game development, 3D rendering, digital films and more. The latest UDK beta is available now at www.udk.com/download.
RealD, a leading global licensor of 3D technologies, incorporates its best-of-breed stereoscopic 3D gaming solutions into theUnreal Engine. The RealD Gaming Toolkit will allow for PC and console games to be rendered in stereo 3D and brings developers features such as depth budget allocation (DBA) and AutoCAM. Check out the full press release and download the SOL: Exodus demo showcasing the 3D implementation.
UDK Showcase: Antichamber
Antichamber is a psychological exploration game that took one look at reality, shook its head, and then decided to rewrite everything. Set within a world whose rules resemble those of an M.C. Escher painting, this game will mess with your head and make you question everything you think you know about how games are supposed to work. Sound mind-bending? It is.
We have showcases of some of the most outstanding video game, architectural visualization, and mobile apps using UDK atwww.udk.com/showcase and www.unrealengine.com/showcase. Also be sure to check out the Works in Progress and theReleased Projects forums.Make Something Unreal Live at the Gadget Show Live 2012 overview
- The Commando Kiwi team took top honors in the Make Something Unreal Live competition during the Gadget Show Live 2012. Click here for the full story.
May 2012 UDK Beta Upgrade Notes
New Features and Functionality
- RealD Integration
- Incorporates best-of-breed stereoscopic 3D gaming technology in the Unreal Engine which allows for PC and console games to be rendered in stereo 3D
- 3D experience improved by allowing management of camera separation and 3D depth effects in real time
- Depth Budget Allocation and AutoCAM available with the RealD Game Developer Toolkit
- Free demo showcasing the implementation available at www.unrealengine.com/insiderblog
- Advanced Environment Color
- A simplified directional environment light where the environment color depends on direction
- It is blended between 2 values: ‘environment color’ and ‘environment sun color’
- For example, the side of the sky with the sun could have a slightly warmer and brighter hue compared to the opposite side
- Mobile Shader Key Tool
- Translates mobile shader keys into a human readable form
- Shader keys specify the configuration of a particular shader that is used in the game
- The bits in these keys used to be counted ‘by hand’ which involved counting the position and looking up the source code, this is no longer necessary
- Non-default key bits are highlighted in bold
- Unreal Editor
- DrawScale is now applied correctly in editor to BSPs
- “Ok to All” will now work when move/renaming several sound files in the content browser
- Problems with coverslot selection and dragging are now fixed
- Warning dialogs now launch when reimporting an asset that is older than the one currently loaded
- Fixed a crash that occurred in the AnimSet Editor when removing Material slot  from a skeletal mesh that has more than one slot
- Wireframe edges now render when importing a brush
- Matinee keyframe selection now happens on mouse release, not press
- Cameras imported into Matinee from FBX files work properly now
- New Scaleform HUD for Unreal Tournament maps is now used on mobile devices too
- Fixed crash if mobile emulation mode is enabled when non-mobile features are used in a map (e.g. landscape and morph targets), default material will render instead
- Mesh particle stat tracking now works properly on mobile
- Config option ShouldTrackFPSWhenNonInteractive added to allow fps charts to be generated for non-interactive scenes. False by default in Engine. True for UDKGame
- Texture Paint
- The Texture properties window will now update the texture after committing in texture paint mode
- Added an error in the Mesh Paint Window when the Undo Buffer has exceeded its maximum memory
- Textures in the window will also say how many possible Undo actions are available
- Fixed banding issues
- Fixed the slowdown during undo/redo
New and Updated UDN Pages
- Getting Started
Last edited by rexoli; 07-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
How come this update got removed from udk.com? It says the current update is March 2012...
MSgt. Shooter Person
It's up there now.
Originally Posted by Hamstamps