Pawn-Blocking Volume and Vehicle Exit Prevention Volume?
Hey so I'm curious if anyone knows where to find or how to make a special volume that does not block vehicles, but does block players both from entering the volume and from exiting their vehicles in the volume. If anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it a lot. Even a simple pawn-blocking volume and another volume that damages players when they are not in a vehicle (probably a simple kismet sequence?) any help would be greatly appreciated!
Forced direction Volume has settings to deny vehicle exit and also to block pawns from entering. (bblockpawns, bdenyvehicleexit) To disable the forced direction effect, you can simply specify a vehicle type which will not enter the volume as the "TypeToForce" (for example, a turret class.) Then, it should not force a direction for any other vehicles. The volume may completely block some vehicles by default. To disable this, deselect rigidbody collision in a few sections and you are good to go. Hoverboard is considered a vehicle, so if you need to block these also, you can build a composite of forceddirectionvolumes with the hoverboard as the vehicle type. (TypeToForce.) Note also that enabling bBlockPawns will cause the volume to kill pawns that somehow get inside the volume (players who try to feign death into the volume, players who get knocked into it, etc, and are rag-dolled.)
Originally Posted by idnewton
Thank you so much! I'm working on a Star Wars style space CTF map, so pawns that do somehow get outside into space should die anyways!
Well, in that case, the UTSpaceVolume is also available, and should make players ragdoll, float away, and die; under the correct circumstances
Pre-existing volume tweaks
- * im sure you can just choose a simple volume with the existing blocking volumes; and just choose your channels appropriately
- ^^ will work for pawns- then use a physics volume or trigger volume for the vehicles/
** make your "No pawn volume" say 256x256x256 [example]- player cannot enter only vehicle
**make your player damage volume 200x200x200 [example]- only player is damaged not vehicle
-- this will allow vehicles in - and then when pawns exit they will die
how to damage pawns not vehicles example
^^contains aforementioned damage types - centre of map in the green stuff
Pre-existing posts/ threads
- there is also a plethora of posts related to making custom collision/ volumes / including/ excluding pawns & or vehicles;
- use the search; gather info and learn some new stuff from existing people/ maps
- a link to my old custom volumes
^^ not saying 1 specific volume will work for you; you will have to either tweak the properties; or maybe change the source code to suit your needs.
^^ p.s. this is old and i can probably code better now.
- Radial Force
* you can use physics stuff; e.g. radial force volumes - RB_ force actors etc etc + possibly some Kismet
* force exit vehicle is possible - i am not sure if you can reverse this;
- you could attach a dynamic physics volume to your vehicle- and use that to stop the exit somehow.
- crazy stuff can be done with kismet; but code is better
** basically by the time you try everything and find what suits your needs you WILL have learnt alot from this exercise.
- hopefully this information helps you.
Last edited by TKBS; 04-06-2012 at 12:28 PM.
- oh and sometimes it is prudent to mention exactly what vehicles you have in your map !!!- lol i forgot this bit [sorry ]- but it is INTEGRAL
Last edited by idnewton; 04-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
OK I have another question, I recently realized a critical problem with my map. If players are getting from one capital ship to the other to get the flag, there's no way for them to get BACK because they can't carry the flag in a vehicle! Is there any workaround for this? (to enable flags in vehicles?)
Though I've thought of this map on various occasions I haven't worked on it in a long time. Was thinking of turning it into a core-to-core warfare map (after all, you are simply trying to destroy the enemy ship, theoretically) I'll definitely check that out though if I finish this map. I kinda feel like I should considering that nothing like this has ever been done before (space combat + greater objective) there are several issues to overcome but I could probably pull it off.
Last edited by idnewton; 11-14-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Hi there ... are you still onto it? Stumbled over some old forum entry lately which might be of help:
Originally Posted by idnewton
Thread link: ClassicVCTF
Originally Posted by NeoGzus