*Moved over from General because this section is more suited, and the other thread basically died out*
Just going to say beforehand, this is an exceptionally long post and there isn't going to be a TL;DR. It's my general thoughts and opinions on multiplayer as a whole, not just VS. These are what I have gathered on everything based off my own experience. Also, quite a lot of this comes from the perspective of (QM) TDM.
Please note that this is not complaining in any way. These are just my thoughts and feelings on all aspects of MP. I am generally very happy with the state that the game is in at the moment, and think EPIC is doing quite a good job.
- Clip needs reducing to 50. It can be fired for an excessively long time, and coupled with an active reload is simply too strong.
- Stopping power needs reducing. Close range you're literally glued to the spot, and further out it's still nigh impossible to get into cover before you're downed. It still needs some SP, but at the moment it's too much.
- Stopping power needs to be removed from this. It's meant to be a long range rifle, and since it does quite a lot of damage at range, there isn't really a need for SP.
- When zooming in with the Iron Sights, the HB should not aim downwards; it should stay how it was. This is quite annoying when you need to quickly shoot someone and it jumps to the floor.
- Again with the Iron Sights, you can aim down them at someone and shoot them but it clips the cover you're in, but if you zoom out, you can still shoot them. It needs fixing because the sights are misleading.
- Failed melee charge should either do no damage, or they should have a very short downtime in which they can't shoot or melee. As it stands, they can charge you from very short distance, then instantly melee or spray you down. There is nothing you can do because you get stunned but they don't and it does a sizeable amount of damage.
- SP should be removed. It downs in half a second; it really does not need SP.
- Should have strong damage drop off at medium and long ranges. This thing completely dominates at close range, (it's a CQC rifle) so there is no reason it should do such strong damage at long range as well.
- General damage nerf, because currently even non-active this downs in half a second.
- Removal of Active Reload damage boost, because it does not need it
- The active range needs reducing- it is simply too far for a shotgun, and downing someone at medium range in 2 shots is too much
- One-shot downing needs to be removed- it should either blow them up or do a lot of damage. Downing them, though, is absurd.
- Although I can guess this is quite a strong technical issue, the consistency of the gnasher could do with an improvement, but I know because it is a spread of pellets, it can make it difficult to address this issue.
- Perfect, imo. It is good enough for newbs and bads to get kills with it, but basically inferior to the gnasher in every way so that the better/longtime players don't feel the need to use it to get kills. I say this only because the SO was introduced for bads/new players, and so this gun should not be better than the gnasher.
- Needs no changes; perfect in it's current form.
As it stands, I feel that at the moment, all of the starting weapons are generally balanced with each other, and these tweaks are more QoL (Quality of Life) issues that could make gameplay better.
- Planted frags need their radius reducing; currently they're like a mini nuke and once it is activated, basically impossible to get away in time, even if you dive round a corner.
- Thrown frags either should have their radius reduced, or a slightly longer (0.5-1sec) activation time before they blow up. If someone throws frags at your feet, and you dive the moment it lands, chances are you're still going to die even though you reacted instantaneously.
- The amount of time the fire stays on the floor after they go off could do with a slight reduction, because it stays there for what I feel is slightly too long a time.
- This has serious consistency issues, and makes these quite frustrating. When you throw the Ink, there's a 50/50 chance it either instantly downs and then kills the person, or just stuns them. Even when the ink is thrown right at their feet, half the time it does absolutely no damage and you can happily run through the poisonous gas left behind and it doesn't do anything.
- The stun has a much too large radius. Take Gridlock sniper spawn- you could throw an ink in there, and everyone inside gets stunned, even if it wasn't anywhere near them. It needs reducing because I have lost count of all the times where I've not even heard it go off, nor see the gas yet my character still covers his face.
- The gas actually needs to do some damage to those who run through- at the moment it just looks cool but doesn't actually stop anyone passing through.
- Even were it to be adjusted, I am fully 100% behind us just getting the G2 Ink back. What we have currently is not an Ink Grenade. It is a stun grenade. It has absolutely no tactical use like the actual Ink did. It is not used to poison people. It is not used as an area of denial. It is used for cheap kills. It is not an Ink. PLEASE give us back the G2 Ink- the real one.
- The amount of the time the smokescreen remains could do with a slight reduction.
Generally nades are also fine- it's just their consistency and blast radius that needs tweaking.
- The amount of ammo it has it too much in gametypes where you have no respawns- 3 shots can take out their entire team. It needs reducing to 2, like it was in Gears 2. Ideally, if it were possible, 3 shots on TDM but 2 on the rest of the gametypes. But if that was a technical problem, 2 is really a good idea and can stop the weapon from being totally over-the-top.
- The reload needs to be longer, because as it stands, it takes barely half a second to reload it after shooting, and coupled with the insane splash damage the active has, it's too much.
- Needs the ammo buffing to 4 shots, because it is very easy to avoid the digger shots, and the explosion isn't the biggest. It's also generally regarded as the weakest power weapon, so an extra shot could help.
- Perfectly fine as it is.
- When zooming in, it needs to stop aiming at the ground. It shares this problem with the HB. Oftentimes when 2 snipers are shooting at each other, one will lose simply because their rifle shot at the ground while the other was fine.
- The recent buff has overdone this weapon. Whilst before it was useless, it has now made it very powerful. There needs to be a happy medium, because even non-active it does too much damage.
- The burning/cauterize effect could do with a shorter time, because even once you get out of the (short) range of the scorcher, the burning effect continues and can still down you, even after you have ran around a corner and got away.
Hammer of Dawn
- At times, it seems as if the range on this is too big, but I don't really feel as if there is a problem, especially since it is only on 2(?) maps. Doesn't really need any changes.
As you can see, I think the power weapons do do their job very well, and only some nerfs are needed to keep them in line. I realise that they are meant to be powerful and help teams win, but in the case of the boomshot and scorcher, they seem just a little overdone.
- Fine as it is.
- I've seen some very strange bugs with this, where the explosion kills the shooter even when it was nowhere close to them. These are rare though, and the mortar is perfectly fine otherwise.
- Fine as it is.
The heavy weapons are good and do not need changing.
- Fine as it is; no changes needed.
- More ammo. So much more ammo is needed.
Apart from the Gorgon the pistols are fine.
Maps(Only mentioning the ones that could do with tweaks)
- Swap out the Boomshot for the Longshot. Almost all of the fighting goes on around this, and leaves a lot of the map untouched. Putting a Longshot there could help more of the map see some action, and quite frankly, I feel that the Boomshot is on too many maps.
- Swapping out the Scorcher with the Digger every other round could help stimulate movement around this map, because at the moment there's quite a lot of camping, which promotes slow and boring gameplay. The digger is perfectly designed to help flush out campers and help this map.
- The current placement of the Mulcher is very poor, and the only time it is ever picked up is when there is a bot on your team. I'm not too sure about what weapon could replace it, and I rather like the idea of just leaving it blank. Adding anything else would be overkill.
It baffles me beyond belief why, out of all of the maps that EPIC could have brought back, they chose Escalation lol.
- On TDM the spawns are switching almost every 30 seconds, and I never know where I'm meant to be looking because there's people spawning in every which way.
- Because of the massive height advantage that one team gets, EPIC decided to try and balance it out by putting 2 Longshots, Frags, AND a digger all at the bottom. In doing so, they've totally overkilled this map, and instead of the top spawn winning, the ones at the bottom win. Seriously, I cannot fathom why they thought it would help map balance
- This is a MUCH smaller issue, and it's really only wishful thinking, but the sandbags around the grenade spawn are often difficult to mantle over, due to their curved nature. Countless times I've been kicked from the other side because it wouldn't let me jump over as I was on the tiniest of curves. Making it easier to mantle over would be nice
- I was a big fan of it going in a systematic, alphabetic order. It meant I would know when both my favourite and disliked maps would come up. Not sure why this was changed to be random, and I cannot think of a single good reason as to why it was made random. People say that it stops you from quitting out when a map you don't like comes up, which is absolute rubbish. Instead of quitting at the end of Old Town because I knew Overpass would come next, now I just wait until Overpass actually shows up and then quit out in the 20second countdown before the match starts. It solved nothing lol.
These are the only maps where I feel there could be some small changes to help the gameplay flow better and be less frustrating.
- Without a doubt, this is definitely one of the biggest problems at the moment. It's been happening since Gears 2, and I assume that you guys at EPIC have been spending considerable resources trying to work out why and how to stop it. All I can say is keep on with it and please get a fix soon, because it's not nice worrying every time you load up Gow3 if your rank has been reset or not.
- As it stands, I think that almost every weapon downs/kills you much too fast, and while they are all balanced with each other, weapons on the whole deal too much damage. Buffing player health, by something like 20%, could help cope with this, imo. Nothing too much because it could mess up with certain weapons and make them too weak, but not so little that it doesn't help anything at all.
- Tying in with my previous point, I think that at the moment ARs are absolutely over-the-top. No matter what weapon it is, if someone shoots you with an active you're going to die. Gnasher gets an insane range, rifles down you in less than a second, and power weapons such as the Boomshot get a massive blast radius. The amount of extra damage Active Reloads give you need to be toned down.
- Or, another option is to make all reloads like HB- move the Active part to the back of the reload, forcing people to wait a bit extra before they get that active. However, I do prefer the first option, a general toning down.
In the current state, this is absolutely horrible.
-People get stuck on top of cover.
-2 people can mantle each other at the same time and get some weird teleporting rubber banding around the map.
-You can mantle someone and have them pushed back but you stay on the other side of the wall.
-You can mantle someone who has dived backwards and is easily out of the way yet still kick them at absurd ranges.
-I've seen one person kick 4 people at once- how the **** did that happen LOL.
-You can mantle someone and have them stagger to the side, instead of backwards, which makes no sense. Why would getting kicked in the head make you run sidewards and shoot off in random directions.
-You can completely miss someone by a hair's breadth and then you leave yourself open to a chainsaw in the back. The amount of times where someone managed to just slip past is insane.
-On that same note, many times I've kicked someone who wasn't even in front of me, yet somehow my legs magically grew and slapped them backwards.
If this was fixed, it would be really nice and be a great mechanic, but at the moment, you can clearly see the myriad of problems that are associated with the mantle kick lol. I don't think I've ever seen something in a game as bugged out as the Mantle Kick
CSHD and Kill Trading
- I'm given to understand that this was added into Gears 2 to help compensate for those without host advantage. However, now that we have (half the time >.<) Dedicated Servers, this shouldn't be an issue. I'm not too sure whether it should stay or go, but I will say that there has been many times I've died in stupid ways
-Gibbing someone with the gnasher yet getting chainsawed at the time time
-Shooting someone in the back and still getting gibbed because they magically span around
-Or my favourite of all time- Getting a super on someone whilst simultaneously getting gibbed by that same person. WHAT. THE. ****. Best Super EU
- Doesn't seem as much of an issue as it used to be, but it still does happen and can be quite irritating at times. But, it does happen- I've seen many people point blank refuse to accept that it happens and that people aren't missing.
Rubber Banding and Teleporting
- Still seeing this happen- getting caught around cover, teleporting forward then magically appearing back in front of the cover you just jumped over. The worst time this happens is when you're trying to quickly evade people, only to have them gnasher your back because Suddenly a Wild Wall appears! Trollface.jpg
Dedicated Server Indicator
- I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would absolutely love an indicator which would tell us whether we're playing on a Server or not. In fact, I think there's even a thread suggesting this which has a sizeable amount of supporters.
Character speech, shout-outs and quotes
- It's unfortunate that for some reason EPIC decided that they would make the characters barely talk at all compared to the previous 2 installments, and even made A.Carmine share the same quotes at C.Carmine: "This is for you, Anthony!" **** logic.
- It would be really nice to start hearing them speak again.
I know these have been mentioned alot on the forums, and also that you have tweaked a fair amount of that to be more achievable. However, imo there are still some that either haven't been changed yet, or could do with even more tweaking.
- The Nemesis medal is still nigh on impossible to get legitly (without boosting) and all your change did was to make it quicker to boost, really. I believe, and I think many others too, it would be better to change it so your "Swift Vengeance" medals also counted for the Nemesis medal, and adjust the amount needed accordingly. The entire concept of this medal seems ill-thought out. In what universe is someone going to die to the same person 5 times, without killing said person, then downing them and then execute them? It's just not going to happen. I have about 5 of these altogether, and only 2 of them were legit lol.
- The Untouchable medal is highly based on luck, because every match you have a 1/5 chance of becoming leader, and you then have to make sure that you don't get captured once. Very difficult medal to get to Onyx.
- The Heavy Weapons medal has too many kills required imo, considering not all maps have heavy weapons on them, and even then they have limited ammo.
- The Founder medal should be removed. I'll go into more detail on this in the Horde section.
- I have seen a lot of debate on the forums as to whether medals should be counted in Horde and Beast as well. I think everybody is in agreement that Reloading and Spotting definitely should. However, I do feel that weapon kills should count too. It takes the same amount of "skill" to get kills in any mode, and even then, a very large amount of people just boost all of their weapons to onyx anyway. It's possible to get 6k with every weapon in only a couple of nights of boosting on bots in private.
- Some of the longer gametypes, like KotH and Wingman need their amount of games to Onyx reduced. Even if you were to boost Wingman, you get about 5 games an hour, which is terrible
Capture the Leader
I'm at a loss as to why EPIC removed Guardian, a beloved gametype of GoW2, and replaced it with a hybrid of Submission, which wasn't really that popular. Whilst their (absolutely terrible) excuse that they lost the code (lol) still stands, EPIC has acknowledged that CtL does need improvement, because not that many people play it.
- When your leader is successfully captured, the match shouldn't end. Instead, all the remaining players should have one life remaining, so that they could still go on to turn the match around. This would go a long way into helping it feel more like Guardian.
- When the leader is freed, they should get a 2second Spawn Protection. It's terribly annoying and boring to get captured, then freed, only to get shot in the back the moment you get up, and captured again. Rinse and repeat this for 10 minutes until one side wins. The leader gets it really bad, and I often feel sorry for those who get picked lol.
Parties in QM
I think that if you are in a party of 3 or more people in QM, you should get a greatly diminished chance of going against 5 randoms, and a higher chance of going against other people who are also partied up. Parties should have no place in QM
- When you roll, your hitbox doesn't readjust until you complete the roll. This is why Incendiaries often catch people in mid air, for example. It's a serious problem and is definitely the cause of a lot of really bad deaths that should not have happened. It needs to adjust faster, and it certainly doesn't help with the mini nukes which frag grenades are.
Spawning-Protection and Swapping
[LIST][*]Spawning is quite annoying at times, especially in TDM. Most of the time, the spawn won't swap when you are getting camped, but will swap when you aren't. This leads to many unnecessary deaths because you suddenly have a full team appear behind your back, or you cannot get out of your spawn zone.[*]This one applies solely to Escalation- the spawns on this swap every ~30-60 seconds. It is absolutely horrendous and causes mass confusion.[*]Spawn protection should be removed once you shoot at someone, so that you don't spawn on someone and have them absolutely powerless because they cannot kill you.[*]Lower the max amount of time you have to wait to 10 seconds, because it's highly boring having to wait 15every single time you die, and if you are lucky this can happen in quick succession.
- Need to have their grenade slot removed. As it stands, they bumrush frags/incends/inks and then never use them, which really hinders your team. Not to mention the amount of times it decides it can't analyse the situation and stands there swinging a smoke.
- Need to be limited to only using the Lancer when it comes to rifles. Currently they are very badly programmed with semi-automatic weapons and shoot it very slowly. With the retro, however, they are demigods because they do not suffer recoil and have pinpoint accuracy. They seriously should not have the retro, lol.
- They should not pick up power weapons because they never get kills with them, and again just handicap your team.
- It should be made social, so that you can join a random match already underway. It sucks that you have to eventually give up around Wave 30 because there's just 2 of you left and neither have any friends to join and help. Letting people join a match in progress is precisely what is needed to combat this.
- The Architect/Founder medal needs to be removed. At nearly the start of every single Horde match, someone will make a beeline for the nearest post, buy it to get the medal, and then leave. In the next 1-10 waves, another person will have left, and by Wave 15 you're lucky if you're not the sole person left. It also seems that barely anyone knows that you can get a Founder ribbon if you buy another base- the sole difference is that it will cost you a bit of money. The previous idea for making Horde social will also help deal with early quitters.
- Although I'm not quite sure how this would work, I feel there should be some sort of punishment for quitting in the first 10 waves. It really does get annoying to have half your team quit in 5 waves. It takes like 10 minutes with an extremely slow team, and I highly doubt you couldn't figure out that you would have to go and do something else soon. It should be a very small punishment at first, such as 30 minutes of being barred from Horde, but if you repeatedly did it, this would get bigger and bigger. You would get a reset of punishments every week. As with the XP penalty in GoW2, if you simply lost connection to the host then you would not get penalised. This punishment system is really wishful thinking on my part because of the horrible state that Public Horde is in at the moment lol, but I don't really expect anything of the sort to be put in.
- The Onyx Guard Decoy needs buffing, either in strength or intelligence, because it's not really worth the cash investment in later waves because it's both weak AND stupid lol.
- The amount of time you can go AFK before getting kicked out could do with a slight increase, imo. If you have to do anything for 30 seconds which takes you away from playing (and due to the amount of time it takes to get to later waves, the possible things that could crop up increase in number) you just get automatically booted out, which is quite annoying when you've been getting point man for the last 20 waves then are removed from the team.
There's not really anything that I think could be tweaked with Beast. It's been very well done and I quite like it. My only real qualm lies with the lack of new content, and I personally think this is going to be addressed with the next DLC (fingers crossed.)
Well, that covers just about everything, I do believe
I apologise for this extremely long post, but I just love Gears and want it to be the best it can be, because the potential is there for this good game to be even better.
I reiterate that this is not me complaining in any way, nor is it an attempt at belittling all the hard work that EPIC has done and being ungrateful. Just a few tweaks here and there and this game would just get better.
Obviously, people are not going to agree with everything I have said, but keep all discussions civil. Any attempt at spamming, flaming or derailing of the thread will be reported. It's fine if you have a differing opinion but kept it across in an acceptable manner. Calling people out and being disrespectful is NOT the way to get your side across.