I have some concerns with the upcoming DLC 'Fenix Rising', especially regarding Public Horde/Beast but also for Public Versus.
It has been stated multiple times by EPIC representatives that you need the DLC in order to play on the maps, so no Booster Map Pack for this DLC.
Public Horde & Beast
The problem with this, is that for Public Horde & Beast, everyone, all 5 players, will need to have this DLC downloaded in order to let the DLC maps appear as an option. Instead of just the host who needed the DLC in order to let everyone play Horde/Beast on a DLC map. Since this DLC pack was specifically themed for Versus, I wouldn't have that big problems with this, but it amazes me that they added Escalation, which is likely a good Horde map, but it will have to prove itself for Versus. Even some EPIC devs themselves felt the same about this, in fact they even went as far as saying they might remove it from Versus rotation and make it a Horde/(Beast?)-only map.
Proof can be found here:
Now let me say this, for 800 points 5 new maps, a couple of skins and the re-up system isn't that bad. My problem isn't really that it doesn't offer enough content. But it would be a bit frustrating if the only DLC after this would be DLC 4, and Gears 3 ends up having less maps than Gears 2 for example.
On to the problem with Public Versus. Since it won't be like with the Booster Pack, the new maps won't be added to the regular map rotation. So a logical assumption would be that they'd do a special DLC playlist. There are a couple of issues with this:
- I thought the maximum slots was 8, there are 6 gamemode slots + Alpha, leaving one slot free which is usually used for (weekend) events. If this is true then this could cause some problems/complications.
- What gametypes will be supported? Will it rotate between a few/all of them or just TDM, because that's the most popular one?
- How many players will play this playlist? It would be a bit boring to play mostly against bots on these new maps.
- How long will the playlist exist, and will we ever be able to play Public Versus on these maps again if the playlist is gone?
- A DLC-playlist with just the new maps will get old quickly, more so than if it is mixed up with the maps we already have.
The only other option I can think of (without Booster pack or making it mandatory to buy the DLC in order to play online) is to let these maps show up in Public Versus if every player has this DLC. But what are the chances of 10 different players having the DLC happening?
There is another option, as mentioned by TAO Devil, matchmaking will team you up with players who also have the DLC. If they could do this that would be nice, if that doesn't mean there will be connection issues since it will check on DLC rather than optimal connection.
Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, and tell me what you think about this.
P.S. I tried contacting some devs about these issues, but never received a reply, apparently the Season Pass is so unclear that people still don't understand it entitles you to the first four DLC packs.