The goal of Greed is to collect skulls which are dropped from dead/killed players and to deliver those skulls to specific drop points. When a player holding skulls get killed all skulls are dropped and waiting for pickup by other players. The player or team with the higher amount of delivered skulls wins.
GreedGUTS is a slight modification of the original Greed implementation from Mysterial for UT2003/4. The modifications of GreedGUTS are inspired by the UT3 implementation of Greed.
As the original version GreedGUTS provides also the free-for-all (ffa) and team based a game type:
- GreedFFA : free for all game type - each player is on his own.
- GreedGUTS: team based game type - skull deliveries count for the whole team.
Both game types can be used with DM-, BR-, CTF-, DOM-, and VCTF-maps. When using DM-maps the skull drop points are randomly inserted into the map. In the team based maps the already existing team bases are used for the skull drop point placements.
GreedGUTS is still in alpha. There were no in-depth tests of the implemented modifications (yet). There are several known issues which will be removed with a later release (hopefully). But there are for sure also unknown bugs. If you encounter any problem or if you have any suggestion for optimization, please, let me know.
I have renamed this mod and components in order to have as well the original version as also the modified GreedGUTS running in parallel.
GreedGUTS includes the following modifications from the original Greed by Mysterial:
- Skulls Preferred: Instead of coins and score points GreedGUTS is all about skulls :-) Added Mesh, Textures, and Sound for bony white, golden and red skull support. The different colored and sized skulls represent different number of skulls:
- white skull (small) : 1 skull point
- golden skull (medium): 5 skull points
- red skull (large) : 20 skull points
In GreedGUTS the only thing that counts for team score is the amount of skulls delivered to the drop points.
- Drop Points: In GreedGUTS/FFA the drop points are implemented as swirls using the particle emitters of UT2004.
- Red Swirl : drop point of the red team where blue players must deliver
- Blue Swirl : drop point of the blue team where red players must deliver
- Red/Blue Swirl: drop point for all players
In the team base game mode the players must deliver the skulls the other teams base swirl which is colored in color of the other team. In the FFA mode the players can use any red-blue swirls as drop point.
- Player Beacon: The player beacon above the pawns heads does show the player name and the number of carrying skulls. The beacons with the number of skulls are shown for all players regardless of the team. In this way, the Greed is meant to be enhanced as you do know who is worth the kill ;-)
- Drop'n'Relocate: Each skull delivery at the drop point will be announced to all players! After delivering skulls to the drop point the player is relocated near the home base to start another run.
- Not Supported: There are some features of the original Greed by Mysterial which are not supported or which are deactivated by default in GreedGUTS.
- PlayerHUD with player names and number of skulls is deactivated by default
- The additional mutators SCannon, Singularity, and TreasureChest are removed
- The configuration for the key items has been removed (at least from the GUI)
For better modification and testing I removed those features from the original for now.
I would be happy to hear what you think of those slight modifications and if it would be worth to go forward with it (already have some more in mind )
- Mysterial: All the credit goes to Mysterial who implemented this great mod years ago. Unfortunately, I was not able to contact him (contacts from his web site seem to be outdated).
- Epic: Credits go to Epic for the games UT2004 and UT3 as well as for providing the means for game enhancements to the community.
- Test: Last but not least credits go to the GUTS online testers falvis, nemesis, bingobongo and stalker! Hopefully they read this and are willing to do some more online tests with me ...
- Mysterial Original WebSite: seems to be no longer online (http://mysterial.linuxgangster.org/Greed/Index.htm)