Though I'm new to this forum in terms of posts, I have spent some time reading a lot of threads here, and the general sense I get is that a TON of people HATE the Sawed-Off Shotgun, but when people complain about it, they only get 2 different kinds of responses.
1) The "I agree totally, it sux," or "I feel you bro, but there's nothing we can do," response,
2) The "You just suck," or "There are plenty of ways to counter it if you're just good enough, and you use strategies that I oh-so-conveniently won't name here," response.
I'd like to change that.
While it seems a little unreasonable to demand that Epic completely remove a weapon from the game that they've spent many months and dollars designing, testing, and tweaking, I think we CAN, however, come together and post suggestions and strategies for defeating SOS-users here. That way, we can at least help each other out and do something productive rather than simply tell people getting pwned that "they just suck." So please, if you come across something that works, or you yourself use the Sawed-Off and observe how some people still kill you, post about it here. I'll do my best to keep this post updated with your contributions, unless they're ridiculous, of course. Lastly, please try to explain your strategy in BRIEF detail, as well. Don't just say something like, "Oh, I use the Hammerburst against them, it's great!" That's a good start, but tell us HOW you use it, do you sneak around, do you get up close and roll back just before they fire, etc. You don't have to write an essay, but a couple of sentences would be nice. Thanks, and I hope this thread can become a good resource for the SOS-afflicted.
TL;DR: Help people out, post any and all successful tips/strategies you've used/seen for defeating SOSs here.
As far as I can tell, this weapon, more than anything else, seems best-suited to killing SOS-users, as it works best at short and very short range, the exact gap that SOS-users have to close in order to explode you into itty bitty pissed-off pieces. DO NOT try to bayonet charge them. The Sawed-Off is designed to counter exactly that, so if you do manage to pull off a kill, it'll only be because the guy was an idiot or not paying attention.
1) Try to goad SOS-users out of cover, then spray them down. Many of these guys are impatient, so be annoying by taking cover on something a few feet in front of them, and quite often, they'll attempt to pop out of cover and rush you, which is your opportunity to mow them down. This is especially effective in gametypes like KOTH, where there places on the map where people HAVE to be, so you can set yourself up on choke points where they'll have to break cover in order to win.
Seems to be a Jack-of-all-Trades, but Master of None-type of weapon. Best if you can get a sizable perfect Active Reload before engaging the SOS-user.
1) If you see a SOS-user camping in cover, try to maneuver yourself around the edge of it, while staying a few feet back. Specifically, try to get that angle on him (or her now,) where you can shoot their shoulders and hips while they're in cover. This should force them to move, and hopefully you can down them once they're in the open.
1) Try to goad them into wasting a shot on you by getting pretty close and firing a shot or two. Then roll away as fast as you can and hopefully, they'll be left vulnerable. This is pretty risky, though, so you may want to bring a friend to help you take the guy down.