I've taken a look at: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MobileAudioSystem.html
I have a few questions about the audio pipeline for UDK. As far as I can tell:
- Import audio file (Only allows 16bit wav files. The 'Content Browser' gives and error if you select anything other)
- Audio files stored in .UPK package files with other assets (Meshes, Textures, etc)
- Audio compression level can be set via a normalized compression level
- Audio files are cooked to platform settings (ogg? for PC, mp3/uncompressed? for iOS, etc) at build time using normalized compression level (IE:an XMA quality of 40 was equivalent to an ogg vorbis quality of 0.15)
- This is where I can't find any documentation on how to change the desired compression. If I wanted to compare audio compression formats on an actual build, how do I go about choosing a compression format?
To me, it looks like the UDK Audio System handles all the platform specific audio format settings when the build is cooked. Is this true?
What audio compressions does UDK Mobile use? The 'MobileAudioSystem' page recommends using mp3. Where can I find a list of the other options?
If I'm building an audio heavy game and need compression over CPU can I change the compression for iOS to use Ogg Vorbis?