With the prelaunch XP events long gone the road to 100 is a long grind. I know there are a lot of you eager to get your wings and don't want them reset back to 1 or you want to earn them for a second or third time (like myself). These methods are similar to what happens in Gears 3 and why people have their ranks reset so it will help in both games. Please post up any additional ways you know of to get your rank reset so other people can benefit from your knowledge, I'll repost them into the OP. Some people want to avoid it and others want to reset their rank so hopefully we can all benefit from this. Items listed in "To Avoid Getting Your Rank Reset" section do not cause a rank reset 100% of the time so you might get lucky and avoid getting your rank reset by sheer luck. Finally, if you choose to reset your rank you will still get credit for your highest rank when you go to Gears 3. So that "Member of the Old Guard" medal will still be yours even if you don't make it back to 100.
To Reset Rank:
This is the easiest and most reliable way I know of to reset your rank. First you must delete your cache so that all updates from XBOX Live will be removed. Enter the "System Settings" menu at the Xbox 360 Dashboard, and select the "Memory" option. Highlight the hard drive, then press Y for device options. Select "Clear System Cache" and continue to play Gears 2. When the notification pops up to receive an update, deny it and play a local game of horde. After playing a round quit the game and return to main menu. Restart gears 2 and accept the update and you should be reset to rank 1.
To Avoid Getting your Rank Reset:
1) If you take your profile with you on a memory card DO NOT play on an XBOX that does not have any updates. (My first rank reset experience)
2) DO NOT sign into or out of your account when "UPDATING Network Settings are Being Updated" is displayed in the lower right corner. This happens when you first load up the game, enter a lobby, or finish a match.
3) Make sure to accept and complete all updates when they pop up, if they get interrupted then go back to the dashboard so that you can restart the entire process. If you're not sure if the update went through DO NOT go to the multiplayer lobby to check, instead hit the guide button to check if you are connected to XBOX Live. If you're not connected then the update didn't go through, if you are connected then the update installed without a problem.
4) If there are glitchers on your team do not participate in it or assist them because if you get recorded and reported you may have your rank reset and/or banned from Gears 2 and/or XBOX Live.
5) If you happen to be in a glitched match where people get millions of points for a kill, do not kill anyone and just try to avoid getting killed yourself if you do not like to quit matches because of the penalties. (My friend got reset for playing in matches like this, went from about 35 to 100 in 2 days without XP event or the standard 2x, I joined a few of these matches but didn't get any kills in them so I avoided it. I don't think they still occur but they could pop back up.)
6) General rule, if things look fishy and you suspect some sort of tampering going on then simply quit the game before you get associated with it.
7) Do not Dashboard or turn off your XBOX between rounds of ranked, public, social, or even horde matches.
8) Take the extra second to be safe and sign in at the appropriate times, finish all your matches, and return to the main menu when you are finished playing.
To Recover Your Rank: (Updated)
If you happen to get your rank reset and didn't want it to be reset your best shot at recovering your rank is to delete your profile and then recover your gamertag. If your XBOX does not autosign you in, then the best thing for you to do is to turn off your XBOX and then delete your profile without signing into it when you turn on your XBOX. If your XBOX autosigns you in then you may want to remove that setting and turn off that setting. If you played a match with your new rank you will not be able to recover your old rank. It's a terrible feeling to see that level 1 but you can cross your fingers this works for you. Good luck earning back your rank before the release of Gears 3! If you don't make it make sure and come back on holidays such as Halloween.