ASE Export Script
- Download and extract the ASE Export Script.
- In Blender, File / User Preferences.
- Go to the Add-On Tab.
- Install Add-On, select the extracted python script.
- Click Save as Default to enable the script every time Blender loads (optional).
You will find a new export option in File / Export called Ascii Scene Export (.ase). If you do not see the script in the export menu after following the installation instructions, open the Add-On tab and find the script under Import-Export: ASCII Scene Exporter. Be sure that it is enabled by checking the box next to the add-on name. Contact me on my website if you still have problems exporting.
- All non-collision geometries must be UV unwrapped.
- All non-collision geometries must have a material applied.
- Mesh may have more than one material.
- Mesh may have more than one UV texture and/or a lightmap uv.
- Mesh may be assigned as a collision object.
- Mesh may have more than one collision object to determine collision borders.
- Mesh may be assigned smoothing groups.
- Smart people will watch the demonstration video on my website.
Assign a mesh as a collision object by prefixing each object name with UCX_NAME, where NAME can be anything you would like (case-insensitive).
Assign smoothing groups by edge selecting the border of the faces you want assigned to a smoothing group, press ctrl+e and mark sharp. Any face group separated with sharp edges will be assigned a smoothing group.
Apply vertex painting in Blender as normal, be sure that you have at least two uv texture slots. This is not a technical limitation, but due to time constraints I left the vertex painting code inside of a conditional that requires two uv textures. In order to view your vertex painting in UDK you will have to import and set up your materials correctly within UDK.
Version 2.01a to 2.5
- Performance adjustments and code refactoring
- Use Submaterials toggle to give control on how to export materials
- Allow multiple materials to toggle whether a geometry node can have more than one material assigned
- The additions of these new features allow the ASE file to be read by the Id Tech 4 engine and other technologies
Version 2.01 to 2.01a
- Fixed my vertex painting fix
Version 2.00 to 2.01
- Fixed scale bug that prevented proper scaling when exporting.
- Fixed vertex painting 'MeshLoopColor' object has no attribute 'color1'.
- Made default scale 1:1 (1 foot in Blender is 1 foot in UDK, depending on Blender grid setup).
Version 1.41 to 2.00
- Upgraded for Blender 2.63a.
- Fixed smoothing groups (broken in 2.62).
- Extra options in the export window.
- Removed origin recentering.
Version 1.4 to 1.41
- Added an export option to recalculate normals.
Version 1.35 to 1.4
- Added vertex painting support. Requires two uv textures.
Version 1.3 to 1.35
- Fixed a bug causing ugly output when over 32 smoothing groups were assigned
- Recoded a small portion of the script to remove complications when assigning more than 150 smoothing groups.
- Fixed a crash by adding in a bpy.ops.mesh.reveal before calculating mesh data. Any hidden parts of your mesh will be made visible before performing the export.
Download at http://code.google.com/p/ase-export-vmc/