So after beating the level 350 God King after I lost count of how many tries... I decided to go back to Bloodline 1 and try to practice parry practice (against the God King).
With over 8000 HP in full armor, a Ruin Sword (1 damage), and almost instant healing, this was the ideal setup for parry practice. I spent about a full hour battle with the God King and here are my thoughts:
- The time frame for parrying is pretty bad; you almost had to do it in advance
- There are many instances where if you miss once you are in for at least 3 hits (and depending on your HP in higher bloodlines this might be game over for some of us). Sometimes he alternates the vertical strikes with horizontal ones, but I am not sure. If you aren't sure I guess it's time to dodge or shield.
- He has two "walk-in combos", correction: If you parried his walk-in combo's first hit, he will stop the combo entirely.
- Most importantly is how unforgiving the God King is, he gives you only a split second to stab him should you took the risk to parry his strikes. Not to mention how most of the time you don't even get such a reward in the higher bloodlines.
A comparison with Dodging:
- Majority of his strikes can be dodged by Left Dodge, there's only 2 or possibly 3 scenarios which calls for a Right Dodge, one of them being a long turn around swipe which can be parried very easily.
- It is possible to still dodge after you do a swipe (scratch).
- It is possible to dodge 2 of the God King's strikes within a single dodge.
- If you are interrupted in mid dodge, you still get to dodge or block the rest of his combos, or even counter parry afterwards.
- Dodge Breaks are far easier to achieve than the split second Parry opened stabs.
In conclusion, this game's parry system is not rewarding enough at all.