I just started playing UT3 with some enthusiasm after the version 2.0 patch. I had hoped to host some multiplayer games from behind my Linksys BEFSX41 router. I have diligently searched the internet looking for guides, necessary ports, etc. What I have concluded thus far is that private server hosting is a mess. All of these potential solutions have been mentioned in one or more places.
1. Forward ports. This should be simple enough, but which ports are actually necessary? So far the ports that I have found mentioned include:
UDP - 6500, 6515, 7777, 7778, 7787, 7788, 8777, 9777, 13000, 13139, 27900, 28902.
TCP - 3783, 6667, 28900, 29900, 29901
2. Download a "Stun Server" and also forward some ports.
3. Buy a router that utilizes "full cone NAT".
If there is a real server expert in these forums I would love to hear some advice. Here are some specific questions:
1. What is the definitive list of ports that should be forwarded?
2. If the correct ports are forwarded, will most routers work fine?
3. What are some routers that use "full cone NAT"? The specific type of NAT used is not typically listed in the specifications for any routers that I've seen.
4. If you do have a full cone NAT router, do you still need to forward ports for the server to be joinable from the internet?
5. Is the "Stun Server" really necessary, or does that only apply if you're not using a full cone NAT router?
Thanks a bunch. I hope someone (maybe an Epic representative) will step up to the plate. The recently invigorated UT3 would really benefit from many more internet servers being available. I would hope that Epic would try to make hosting servers an easy process. Please, someone, try to clear up this mess.