Name: DM-Antalus (new name is DM-Tomac, link for beta thread.)
Version: Alpha v2
Compatibility: UT 3 1.2
Description: An inspired remake of DM-Antalus from UT2004.
Comments: I am looking for constructive feedback on the layout of the map and any major game play elements (routes, weapon/ammo/pickup placement). I want to add some more routes as I feel the original was too restricting. I added some walkways that add some needed routes. I also wanted it to have a tighter feel in more sections.
I have basic lighting and there are some gaps in the rocks (they will be fixed). The rock textures will be cleaned up too. Thanks for your time in testing it.
There is a working pathing system in place to test it with bots. There might be a few places that the player gets caught on, but these will be fixed.
Changes from Alpha version 1:
1. Added static meshes for the walkways (replacing the bsp and rocks models).
2. Removed the berserk and invisibility power ups (including walkway to get to the invisibility pu).
3. Removed the jump pads and added basic lifts. I also added a bsp block to act as a temporary platform to exit the lift. As far as I can tell, the bots should use the lifts, but a lack of spectating mode makes this harder to truly test.
4. Lowered the bio gun section a bit, though it still needs some work.
5. Added a basic catwalk system in the cave. I also added a working water volume. The idea is that you if you fall off the catwalk going for the 100 shield, you are at a disadvantage being stuck in the water.
6. Replaced a certain rock static mesh that allowed you to walk into it and see through it.
7. Minor terrain and rock placement tweaking to hide more gaps.
8. Added a pair of jump boots, which works well. Only real concern is jumping on rocks you shouldn't (easy to fix) and being able to see outside the outer rock walls (easy to fix, but might limit the usefulness of the boots?
Concerns for Alpha version 2:
1. I am still kind of stuck on what to do with the cave area. I do like that it has a fourth entrance, but it's much bigger than the original. Does the catwalk/water make it better? Do you have a better idea for it?
2.Is the Bio gun area too small?
3. I don't like how straight the right side is (going from the link gun below the 50 armor to wards the bio gun). Do you agree?
4. The usefulness of the top of the middle section. The only real reason to go up there is the sniper rifle and redeemer. Bot tend to do both. Do I need to give a player another reason?
1. I am eager to start making some progress and will keep everyone's comments in mind. If you have any suggestion, now is a good time for them.
2. My CPU maxes out while using the editor (even if I don't have a map loaded). There is something obviously wrong and it's slowing down my building time. I created a thread, so if your a computer wiz, I could really use some help. I will reinstall the game after this post, so hopefully that will work.
3. I plan on resuming work next Tuesday. Hopefully some of you will have to desire and time to see if I am on the right track. In past maps, I was more the builder and tweaker. My friend was the designer. So it's a challenge to be completely creative with making maps right now.
Credits: Epic and myself so far...
Download: See this thread for beta download links.
Top view of the entire map. This is a shot from the Alpha 1 version.
Flak gun area. The catwalk on the left has been removed though.
Top view of the sniping gun and stinger weapon bases.
Rocket launcher/Link gun section.
Top view of the map of the bio gun area. The walkway on the left has been removed.