As I mentioned in a request thread I have started work on a new map, a remake of DM-Zeto, and I thought I would share my progress.
So far all the BSP is laid out and its just the long meshing processing now. Here are some screenshots showing the layout.
The largest change I have made (and its quite dramatic) is converting one area to outdoors. This was more of a personal challenge to see whether it could be done successfully and I am still in the process of deciding whether its worth keeping it outdoors, or changing it back to keep it true to the original.
Ill upload some comparison pics in a bit - unfortunately I have UT'99 on a seperate comp to which I am mapping and writing this update so I will need to get the pics and edit this post.
The next section is meant to have pillars but I am saving this for meshes. I have added a glass top area to it and am quite happy about how its turned out. Also notice I have made a new glass material to get a frozen effect on the windows. The material on the curved glass will be changed to fit properly.
I have already pretty much finished the outdoor area. I knew how I wanted it to look so I could get that done pretty fast. It is quite a dramatic change from the boring snow and cliff face of the original. There is also a crane out there that does some random movements back and forth. No set matinee, its movements are all completely random lol.
This area should be recognisable to any who played the original even though it is nowhere near done. I only have the basic structural essentials in at the moment.
I have also kept to using the doors as was used in the original. I have already got these all working perfectly.
One last area I would like to mention is the hidden shield belt. Previously just hidden behind a wall I have turned the area (because it comes off the outdoor area), into a garage.
Obviously there is nothing amazing here yet but its all still in the early stages. My main query is what people think about having an outdoor area instead of keeping it all inside. There is only one structural change as a result of this which is that normal the flak cannon spawn point was enclosed, however doing this on my version just looks silly and so I left it open.