Talon 1-5 is a story-driven co-op mod that aims to combine realism and combat tactics with a science fiction environment. It will put players into a war to end all wars where they will have to think in order to survive. Taking inspiration from history as well as imagination, we will strive to tell a story about the infantrymen and women of the early 22nd century and how they must persevere for survival and victory like all the Marines who preceded them.
Our story centers around a 12-man special forces squad, codenamed TALON attached to the 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment of the United States Marine Corps. As our world once again sinks into war, Talon 1-5 becomes the Battalion Landing Team for 31st MEU. As a special operations unit, Talon 1-5 is tasked with hunting down and detaining an influential revolutionary leader, as he may hold the key to ending the conflict before them. This classified mission will underlie their more immediate objectives in participation of the North American and Asiatic theatres of the third great war.
A first person shooter at its core, Talon 1-5 will incorporate gameplay that is both believable and tactical. However, tactical is not necessarily synonymous with slow. Players will have to work with their squad-mates to survive some of the most frantic and hectic situations that the war will throw at them. Taking inspiration from the Call of Duty franchise for scope and scale, the Ghost Recon franchise for realism, and an intimate understanding of real modern warfare, Talon 1-5 stands to give the player a truly unique and compelling experience.
- A Compelling Story: First and foremost we want to tell this story in the most appropriate fashion, and through that story give players an experience they will never forget. All features that follow, large and small, are designed to reinforce and maximize the player’s immersion into the world and the story.
- Fully Cooperative Gameplay: Players will be able to play with friends occupying the other characters in the squad. Working together will be tantamount to survival.
- Class-based Characters: Each character will have its own class, or MOS, within the unit. Each player must be ready to fulfill what his or her class requires. Failing to do so will break down the unit cohesion and make proceeding through the story that much more difficult.
- Unparalleled Realism: Despite its futuristic setting, you will be completely immersed in this world by everything from the completely realistic ballistics to the way your body reacts to trauma. No longer do you have a simple “100 Health,” “100 Armor.” You will be given a heart monitor which will tie into almost everything you do. On top of that you will have a medical readout which will show you exactly what sort of damage your body has taken, where specifically the wound is, and what its effect is on your combat efficiency.
- Combat Entropy: For every new type of body armor that is invented, so comes a munition that can penetrate it. You are no safer in the future than you would be on today’s battlefields. You may have more technology at your disposal, but rest assured that your enemy is just as well-equipped as you. When the rounds start flying, all you will have is your training, your rifle, and the other Marines at your side.
If you are a talented, hard-working, fun-loving individual who is passionate and forward-thinking about game design, then this may just be the team for you. We are always looking for new people to collaborate with. If you think you've got the right stuff, shoot an e-mail over our way at firstname.lastname@example.org
We're actively looking for someone to revamp our forums and website for UT3's release, so if you have that skillset, shoot me an e-mail at: email@example.com
As our focus will be the first mission of what will become an ongoing mod series, episodic if you will, Talon 1-5 will try and include what is necessary to create the experience that we want to play, but not at the cost of never being able to pull it off in the first place. If aspects of the game have to be rearranged, rethought or removed in order to get the mod made as a whole, then so be it. There are some aspects that are more important than others, to be sure, but if we have to drop certain things to make the first mission, that’s what updates are for.