I'm new to these boards but have been an active player of Gears since it's launch. I would like to preface this post with the following:
Prior to Gears, I NEVER played any XBOX or XBOX 360 games on Live. I come from a long history of playing PC games (mouse and keyboard FPS style). This game SPECIFICALLY brought me back to playing online and I haven't stopped since I started. I never thought I'd be able to retire the old mouse and keyboard in exchange for a controller, but sure enough, I have.
That being said, I wanted to right a complete and concise list of my personal experiences with problems in this game in hopes that they are either addressed in a patch or addressed in the sequel. I'm not going to dive into great detail as I want this to be as simple as possible. Please note, some of these may be construed as "bugs" and therefore belong in the "bug" thread, but most are suggestions to improve the player experience and increase the games logevity.
1) Increase maximum # of players to 6 v 6 or 8 v 8. There may be a bandwidth limitation here and if so, I understand, but I would be very interested to see how a 6 v 6 match plays out in comparison to a 4 v 4.
2) Allow starting weapons to be customized. At least in player matches.
3) "Party" style matchmaking system. Nuff said.
4) Change hit-detection to client side instead of server side. Staggering movements are dififcult enough to control when one experiences lag or latency but to add to that complexity with the thought of leading your target before firing (and at different lengths depending on the host), that really causes some frustration.
5) Modify Locust Player Character Models. I am surprised that not many people notice this but the locust player characters are much larger than the COG, thus making them easier to hit. It is one of the more unbalanced features in the game in my opinion and needs to be modified. General RAAM's character sticks out in almost every situation. I'm not saying redesign them completely, just scale them closer to the COG so that the areas where each model can be hit for both COG and locust are the same.
6) Thrown Grenade detention time decrease. I think that one of two things should change with grenades. Either just put a flat decrease on the time it takes for a grenade to explode once tossed or make the timer shrink based on how long you hold the right trigger before releasing. If neither of these is sufficient, make the grenade landing noise softer so the opposition isn't as quick to hear it.
7) Shotgun Damage. I know this has been repeatedly thrown out there, but the only thing I ask is that when you are greater than 15-20 ft away from your opponent, shotguns should be a useless weapon.
8) Chainsaw Counter. I think that there are far too many players out there rushing in with the chainsaw in the hopes that their opponent will miss fire and allow them to get that kill. It would be nice if there was a seperate "counter-attack" system where if you were getting chainsawed, you'd have a split second to hit X and reverse the attack back onto the sawman. Something where you could knock them down. This would make it so that people rushing headon with the chainsaw would have to think twice, but a sideways or rear attack would be impossible to defend from.
9) Ricochet Damage. I think that it would be cool if when an opponent hiding in an area where the surrounding walls are made of a metal if you could cause ricochet damage to your opponent but only if friendly fire was on (would increase the challange).
10) Alternate Game Mode. Instead of a "weapons-rush" at the beginning of every map, what if there was a game mode where each player on a team (prior to the round starting) had to select a "role" they wanted to play (sniper, boomer, assault, recon, grenadier, etc.). And based on that role, they would be provided with weapons from the get go! This would make each match entirely about strategy and player positioning as opposed to weapon rushing.
11) Ranked Matches Change. Friendly Fire should be on in ranked matches and opponents who teamkill should be penalized as much as 50-100 points per teamkill.
12) Better Bandwidth Reporting. In ranked matches, players should only see hosts that are located in their country and it should show ping times to those hosts. That little "bandwidth meter" doesn't do much for me.
13) Ranked Leaderboards Change. Offer a few views to the leaderboards:
- Based on total points (today's view)
- Based on kills to deaths ratio (individual performance view)
- Based on total matches won (team view)
I feel like the leaderboard system today promotes too much one-man-show type gameplay. Gears should be a team based game and people should want their TEAM to win, regardless of how many kills the individual gets.
14) Early Quitters Penalty. 50 points? Try 50 points per round they left early! If someone quits early in a 5 round match, they should lose 50 points per round or something like that but most people won't care. If they quit early in a 19 rounder, they will lose alot, and therefore they will stick around longer. The number is negotiable, but I think it should be a per-round penalty.
15) Bigger maps with more cover. I'd like to see more outdoor larger maps with lots of cover points and alternate routes. I think that would be very creative.
16) No Forced Character Voice Sounds when last player alive. If you are the last player alive on your team, an easy way to be found is for your enemies to just throw frags or smokes in the general vincinity and listen for your character to say "smoke out" or "smoooooookkke" (if you're a locust). Well if you're the last one alive, who are you saying it to :-). Let's get rid of that to make the hunt for the last survivor a more interesting situation.
That's all for now, but I'll submit more as I think of them. Any feedback you guys have would be most appreciated.