The following comes from T-Bone regarding Chainsaw in his post here
Hey guys I did some experimenting with the Chainsaw and I found some interesting information that some of you might be interested in.
1) The magic number of shots to take down an opponent's chainsaw is specifically three ammo shots. Does not matter if its the lancer, hammerburst, or COQ pistol. Now timing is everything. You have to shoot the three shots fast and effective. Roughly under two seconds or your opponents chainsaw will not lower. He will just continue to run. Now weapons such as the shotgun roughly takes one "good" hit and I mean good. Sometimes two. The flamethrower just needs one quick push of the trigger which will use two of its ammo. Cool thing about the flamethrower is that it's so powerful that if you land two ammo shots your opponent is pratically dead. The Boltak Pistol only needs one shot to disrupt an opponent's chainsaw. Now I will not discuss the other weapons because if you hit an opponent its not going to matter if they have the chainsaw out because they will be dead. (ex. boom and torque.)
2) If you are trying to chainsaw someone and they knock your chainsaw down you have to wait three seconds before chainsawing again. The reason is that if you try to chainsaw under three seconds you will stumble back again such as if your chainsaw got lowered again. Why this happens I do not know. It just appears to be a glitch.
Now I will talk about the vision of the person trying to chainsaw.
3) If you have your chainsaw up and you have an enemy close by. Roughly two to three feet in front of you. You will pull them in and turn them into kibble and bits.
4) If you have your chainsaw up and your opponent is right up against you and 90 degrees left from your vision (or directly left of your character) you will chainsaw them.
5) That fact is not the same if your opponent is on your right. If your opponent is on your right side. They have to be roughly 45 degrees from your right. If they are directly to your right (or 90 degrees) you will not chainsaw them automatically. I assume that this is the proper angle that you should be at when chainsawing someone. Which means that Epic will have to fix number 4 to make it more balanced.
6) Another fact that I found strangely odd is that sometimes when you are shooting someone who is revving up their chainsaw they will not lower it. This is obviously a glitched. I have killed people revving in my test and they never lowered their chainsaw in the process.
7) The strangest glitched that I found while performing this test is related to number 6. If your opponent indeed is not bringing down his chainsaw when you shoot him, you can actually walk up to him and shoot your lancer while he's revving and you two will automatically enter a duel when your close enough. How I found this out. I had a test dummy that just stood there revving his chainsaw while I continued to shoot and got directly in front of him. I find this glitch on and humerous and cant wait till epic finishes it.
Hope this information is valuable to some of you guys. Have fun playing the game and experiment yourself.
Complaints regarding bugs!!!
Please note, this thread is mainly for providing a central location to find fixes to common problems that have popped up. If you have issues or complaints there is a thread stickied here. Please use that as appropriate and reserve this thread for solutions. If there is a particularly egregious problem that you see occurring multiple times which is not listed below, please PM me. Thanks!!!
NEWEST ISSUES WITH FIXES
"SERIOUSLY" ACHIEVEMENT NOT ACHIEVED
According to poster PunkLivz found here, Mark Rein states the following regarding SERIOUSLY achievement errors:
Link to picture of email for all those who need proof.
"Here is what our Gears of War producer, Rod Fergusson, replied when someone asked about not getting the "Seriously" achievement which probably applies similarly to your question...
I’m assuming that you’re taking your kill count from the Leaderboards. Unfortunately the number on the Leaderboard doesn’t necessarily reflect your progress towards the "Seriously..." achievement, although it’s usually very close. Due to the way Ranked Matches work, if a match is aborted (either by you or the host quitting before it’s complete), if enough rounds have been played then those will get counted towards the Leaderboards but because the match was not fully completed, those kills will not count towards the "Seriously..." achievement. Over time this usually means that there is a small difference between the number on the Leaderboards and your achievement count.
Nothing it broken, you just need to keep playing for a little while longer in matches that go all the way to the end and you will ultimately get the achievement."
Accord to ExpLiciTSainT in the post found here: "if you enable QoS in your router to allow Xbox traffic priority 1 versus computer traffic of priority 255, you will to make your response time for your Xbox a lot snappier. Did this in my house for all devices. Works great!"
According to VINRage in the post found here there is a language fix as follows:
"So, the story is like that, i have a Polish version of game, my friend got russian (dont know how to spell it) version of game. And we both didn't hear the voices of our chracter AND VOICES at the end of the round !
And now, I (briliant guy ;D) though "maybe it's because of languange" so i went to.:
D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Gears of War\Binaries
opened a lang.txt and it looks like this.:
So, if u have ORYGINAL copy of Gears of War in other languange than English, u wont hear the voices of other characters until ur lang.txt file will have only "0409" written in it. So it will look like that.:
A. CONNECTION QUALITY MESSAGES SINCE PATCH
1.)Usually these messages appear, not because your connection quality has dropped, but because someone has decided to leave the match. Whereas prior to the patch you would just see a "______ left" message, now everyone's player freezes and you get the connection error. If this happens, WAIT FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS for the message to clear.
a)Tip: I don't know if this happens when connection quality actually drops, but with this above error you can still always hear your other players. Tell them to wait it out for a second, see what happens.
b) Addendum - Thanks to Hickeroar for clarification - Not everyone has this issue when players drop in matches.
c) Addendum part deux - Sir Fuzzles comments that it appears the connection bug occurs when something shuts off their xbox while still in the room. I.E., that if you just quit the match that no message appears except the regular *xxx quit***
B. VGA ISSUES SINCE THE PATCH UPDATE!!!! FIXED WITH RECENT PATCH!!!
OLD ISSUES WITH FIXES
I. Mic problems - UPDATE!!!! FIXED WITH JANUARY PATCH!!!
II. Connection Problems - Unknown definitive cause at this time.
1.) Make certain the firmware on your router is up to date. UPDATE: RECENT MICROSOFT UPDATE HAS AFFECTED SOME ROUTERS. PLEASE UPDATE FIRMWARE IF YOU ARE GETTING "FIREWALL" SETTING ERROSR UNEXPECTEDLY Reference
2.) This error is potentially due to closed ports on the router, again seethis page for help.
3.) When searching for matches, try and join a match which is less than almost full. Disconnect errors have been attributed to matches being full. As there is no "match too full" error, you only can get a generic "disconnected from host" error.
III. Getting Split-Screen Multiplayer online to work with one Gold and on non-Gold member:
1) This post suggests "What you want to do is have only one player signed in (gold member). Then, go into versus > xbox live > player match - once you get to the menu that asks you to either host a game, find a custom game, or quick match, thats when the second player should press Y and then the guide should show up. Scroll down untill you see guest." (thanks to ban381)
IV. Host Manipulation/Stand By hacks
1) For official word on this go here.
V. VGA with non-widescreen monitor. UPDATE: SEE NEW PROBLEMS WITH VGA ABOVE
VI. - Dish Best Served Cold Accomplishment not achieved.
UPDATE!!!! FIXED WITH JANUARY PATCH!!!
VII. - Chainsaw glitches
1) Chainsawing someone while in cover/close to an object leaves you stuckUPDATE!!!! FIXED WITH JANUARY PATCH!!!
1) Chainsawing thin air leading to dismemberment - (more a visual glitch than anything. USE THE FORCE FENIX)
2) Invincible chainsaw - I really don't know if this is a glitch, considering the animation takes so long, it might just be a balancer. In fact, I rather like that you can't be harmed while chainsawing someone, but some might consider it a glitch. My vote goes for keeping it, because if you're going to get smashed afterwards, it'll happen regardless of the three second wait for it. Now, go an abuse the trick with abandon ;-)
VIII - Getting stuck while switching weapons glitch (may work for other "stuck" glitches). Switching between weapons can sometimes "free" you from these circumstances. I can verify this as I got stuck last night and just had to switch out and back with my weapons. Seems to happen when you grab a new weapon and then boost into cover quickly.
IX - Melee glitches: - (Thanks to aldenceise in his thread here)
1. after a grenade tag, if the tagged individual is downed to the ground the explosion from the grenade doesn't kill him.
2. when someone's doing a barrel roll and gets meleed in the process there's no stun effect. i'm surprised not a lot of people have caught on to rolling into people with the shotgun by now.
3. may not be a bug, but meleeing with the hammer of dawn neither seems to stun nor does nearly as much damage as any other weapon, including pistols.
X - LAG Issues -
a) Host Shotgun seems more likely to gib/kill in certain cases.
b) Bullets take 2-3 seconds after firing to reach their target
These issues are, for the most part, seem to most likely be related to connection issues. I've experienced both, but only intermittently. For the most part everything seems to run well, though I've seen enough mentions of this to include it here. Any advice beyond upgrading your internets is appreciated.
XI - General Glitches - Randomly not recording achievements, not allowing insane mode to be played after completing hardcore, Pushable cars get stuck sometimes, general collision detection bugs. There probably will not be any quick and easy fixes for these, many may be due to the various random errors that come with any release. Will post any fixes if anyone PM's me, other wise will just leave this here as a general notification.
Red lights of Death (specific identifications and instructions -
Thanks to DS Kristoba for finding these:
2 flashing red light on left quadrant
all flash red except for upper right quadrant
all flash red
Any other problems/solutions either post here or PM me and I'll try and update as information flows in.
-Tessier Ashpool, INC.
******How to help your computer and internet run more efficiently*********
DISCLAIMER: I am not a computer person, and these are just things I've found from searching around internet and what works for my system. If anybody has a better grasp and suggest other things, please PM me! I'll update as info comes in, thanks!
There have been some people talking about lag issues around here, and though this may be due to factors beyond your control (you live in a high use neighborhood and there's not enough bandwith to go around, a squirrell is chewing on the cable outside, things of that nature), there are some things you can do to help yourself out.
1) If you have more than one device connected to the network, another computer, another wireless device, it can slow you connection down. I've noticed this at my home, and even have had some dropouts when my girlfriend on the computer and I'm online too. Anything that's connected to your network might POSSIBLY be interrupting your connection
2) Make sure (if you can) to change your wireless settings (if you're connecting wirelessly) to the 802.11a setting. This avoids interference that often comes with the 802.11b or 802.11g settings from other devices such as remote controls.
3)CHECK YOUR COMPUTER FOR SPYWARE, MALWARE, AND REGISTRY BUGS. This is one that seems kind of obvious but I don't think many people necessarily think about it terms of internet connection. If you have 50 little spyware programs each reporting just a teeny bit of information back to wherever, it's going to slow down your connection (and your computer). If your computer is using the same bandwith, this could be interfering with your fragging. Not good. Here's some things to help:
1) AVG Antivirus - FREE - This is an excellent anti-spywar/malware applications. Catches things that Ad-Aware seems not to.
2) Ad-Aware - FREE - A great and widely used anti spyware program.
3) http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/Registry Booster - NOT FREE - This is a program that searches your registry for corrupt files, fragmentation errors. Can help your computer run much more smoothly, though it does cost a bit.