You've seen some cool Screenshots somewhere, like in the High Quality Screens Thread, and want to know how to make them?
I'll give you some tipps
First of all, here's some Usefull Console Commands, that you can also bind to keys.
- ToggleScreenShotMode - This removes the HUD, type again to show your HUD
- HideHUD - This removes the HUD, but still keeps the XHair; type again to show the HUD
- Slomo 0.1 - Slow Motion, type Slomo 1 to Reset
- FreezeAll - Stop All Movement
- Fly - Guess what
- Ghost - Same as Fly, but you can fly through Walls
- Invisible 1 - Makes you Invisible for Bots, type Invisible 0 to Reset
- FreeCamera 1 - This makes it possible to Cycle around your player, like in Spectator Mode, type FreeCamera 0 to Reset
- LockCamera - Lock the Camera to the Current Location, type again to reset
- Shot / ScreenShot - Make a Shot of the Current Screen
- Fov X - Changes the Field of View. Set one of following for X: 90=Standard, Below 90=Zoom, Above 90=Wierd Effect
- AddBots X - Add X Bots to the current match. Replace X with a number. Typing no number will kill 1 Bot.
- KillBots X - Kills X Bots. Replace X with a number. Typong no number will kill ALL Bots
Note: (Theese commands are all non-Case sensetive, so "SHOT"="shot"="Shot"="ShOt")
I personally have following bound: Slomo 0.1, Slomo 1, ToggleScreenShotMode, LockCamera, FreezeAll;
I bet you can make some good Screenies using only FreezeAll and ToggleScreenShotMode / HideHUD, experiment with differen't commands.
If you want to go make some nice Screenshots, go to your Game Settings,
and Make Sure they are all set to the Maximum, look at mine:
(my Monitor doesn't support any higher Resolution)
Also Activate AA (Anti-Aliasing) and AF (Anisotropic filtering) in your Graphic Card Settings
That's how i do it with my ATI Card, i don't know about other though.
Having that done, you'll need some Software to convert the taken Shots to JPG:
Wilhelms Soft's UT2004 Screenshot Convertor (UT2004SC)
Irfan View for Basic Editing and Converting
FurrSoft's UTPicConverter, excelent converting Program
Or Photoshop if you own that
Now we want to go and Take some Screens. Load up UT2004 and UT2004SC, if you want to use that.
Taking the Screenshots
Okay, Go to Instant Action and Select the Gametype, Map, and Set the Game Rules as Following:
Nubmer of Bots: 0
Bot Mode: Specify Number / Use Bot Roster
Goal Score: 0
Time Limit: 0
And Mutators.... there are some Mutators that have some cool Visual effects.
Use Weapon Mutators (Weapons of Evil look cool), or Try the XxxX Weapons Pack.
Santa Hats (Mirror) and VAS on Fire (very cool Fire Effect) are some of my personal Favourites.
You might want to use the Bot Manager by FlakMagnet, to add and Remove any Bots ingame.
Bot Config Menu
If you Selected "Bot Mode: Use Bot Roster" in the Game Rules Tab, then you can select the "Bot Config" Tab.
Add whatever bots you like. Just your Favourite Models .
Note: You can also do this ingame with the Botmanager Specified Above.
Now there's 2 Options...
If you enter the Game as spectator, you can use the Scroll wheel to zoom close, and you have a free camera View.
Just add some bots, go into slow-motion mode (See Usefull Console Commands) and wait for a cool moment.
Now Freeze the Game, remove the HUD, and change the Angle untill you're satisfied.
Take a few Shots from different angles and then Move on.
2. Active Player
This is Harder than the Spectator version, but you can decide more. It's more advanced.
Start as an active Player, chose the skin you would like to use, and get your coolest looking (custom) weapon. Go to the place in the map that you would like to take a screen of.
Now use LockCamera, hide your HUD, put the Game into Slomo mode. Use a Zoom if needed and whatever else. Now move (you will move slowly) and take screens. You might have some cool poses in them.
Just experiment with differen't bots, Settings, Mutators and you'll see what looks cool.
Lowering your Minimum Desired Framerate (Thanks Gades)
If you Lower your Framerate, you will keep cool effects, and they won't be removed for Performance.
You can change it as following: Open the Console and type "Preferences" and you'll see a window like this:
In the Display Section change the MinDesiredFrameRate from 35 to 0
You can change it back when finished by simply typing "Preferences" or by opening your "UT2004.ini" File, that is located in your "C:\UT2004\System" Folder.
There, search for "MinDesiredFrameRate" and Change the Setting back there.
Anything to add? Make Suggestions!