PS: This poll is not about changing all of UT2004, that's not
going to happen anyway (even though it might be better for the
game), it's about adding an optional gametype that people can
play when they want (redundant, yes, but neccessary). Get it now?
Since a lot of people weren't too pleased with how UT2003 turned
out, but some loved it the way it was, I think it's time for my
official request for a "real" UT-like gametype for UT2004.
The goal would be to get some of the huge crowd of UT-players
playing UT2004, as well as shutting up all "UT99 whiners" once
and for all. Now how can you resist that?
The basic flaws people have mentioned with UT2003 were:
1) too slow ("slow motion") run and fall-speed (adjusted for long dodges)
2) too big maps in relation to character scale (adjusted for long dodges)
3) too complex movement system for newbies
4) too weak weapons (also making it harder for newbies)
5) too fancy/over-detailed graphics in relation to gameplay.
After discussing this subject on INA the last 9-10 months (!), my
simple suggestions to solve these "problems" in an UT-like
gametype are these:
1-3) Remove dodgejumping. But then you also need maps:
Just to get the show started; make 2-3 simple maps with the old
hallway-design of Q3 and UT, adjusted for simple dodging.
Increase gamespeed slightly (10%).
4) Increase the strengths of some weapons (shock combo,
sniper frequency, ++) Then, like in good UT/Q3-maps; Place
weapons to get weapon balance; ie stronger weapons on
exposed locations like you've done with the redeemer.
5) Less "screaming"/fancy graphics? Solve that by simply not
using too much time on designing these few maps. Try going for
the "duller" palette (ref CS, BF1942, UT etc).
My main point is: For an UT99 mod/gametype, you need the
faster movespeed and some weapons to be extra powerful to
get that UT/Q3 arcade-like fragfest feel, but most of all you
need new, smaller maps for shorter dodging.
I personally know I would love and praise Epic for eternity if they did this and did it properly.