View Full Version : Useful Tutorials for the UDK
11-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Let's do a Tutorialcollection. Post every useful Tutorial for the UDK here, and I will edit it into this opening Post.
Maybe make it sticky?
Creating Fractured StaticMeshes - Basics [Video] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or-PSkAF3xE)
Creating your first Map [Part1] (http://www.unrealed.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=451&Itemid=51)
Creating your first Map [Part2] (http://www.unrealed.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=452&Itemid=51)
Importing StaticMeshes into Unrealed (http://fdoze.de/tutorials/ed3/modelimport)
Creating an Elevator (http://www.unrealed.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=482&Itemid=51)
Really big Tutorial Index for UT3 Tutorials (IceCreamYou.com) (http://www.icecreamyou.com/ut3)
Creating JumpPads (UT3 Tutorial, but also useable in UDK) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYIMAPUj34)
Material Editor Part 1
Material Editor Part 2 (http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated2.htm)
Material Editor Part 3 (http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated3.htm)
Material Editor Expressions (http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3matexpressions.htm)
Creating Terrain (http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3terrain.htm)
Creating Fractured StaticMeshes (http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3fracturemeshes.htm)
Introduction to Lightmass (http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3lightmass.htm)
Setting up a SoftBody (http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3softphys.htm)
Some of these Tutorials are originally for UT3, but also working with the UDK
11-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Here is list of tutorials for UT3, i think he has all of them:
They all can be used for learning UDK, and everybody new to unreal engine should get UT3 editors colelction release, or normal Ut3 and download those tuts. Looking at ut3 maps in editors is priceless source of tricks and small things that you never find info about.
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, but for ME the bigger Problems are the big new things and also, scripting.
Things like Softbodys, Breakable Objects etc.
These Topics are nearly nowhere to find.
[EDIT]Added your link, thank you!
11-11-2009, 04:04 PM
No more Answers? CMon, let's expand this collection.
12-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Bump and some more links:
Webpages with multpiple links to tutorials:
* IceCreamYou: http://www.icecreamyou.com/ut3
* Chris Albeluhn: http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html
* Odedge: http://odedge.com/html/ut_3_tutorials.htm
* GeoDav: http://sites.google.com/site/ut40kmod/UT40k_mod/ut3-tutorials-1
Unreal engine related links:
* Material that changes uv mapping with in world position, great for long walls that are created by repeating model. http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Asset_Position_Offsets_Texturet_Tutorial.html
* Lighting tutorial, quite obsolete because now lightmass does it all automagically, but still has some hints: http://www.unreal.fr/tutoriaux.php?tutorial=49
* UT3 topic about optimizing maps: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=589900
* UT3 video tutorials: http://www.utforge.com/index.php?page=31
* Geodav tutorials (mainly characters): http://www.filefront.com/user/geodav
* Geodav character import: http://neomagination.com/downloads/Tutorials/ImportUT3Tutorial_lg.pdf
General graphic art links:
* Great tutorials and source of inspiration for me: http://www.free3dtutorials.com/?page=5
* Hard surface texturing tutorial: http://forums.cgsociety.org//showthread.php?t=373024
Concept art over intertubes:
* Photos "Deterioration": http://www.opacity.us/gallery135_deterioration.htm
* Ancient thread on "unreal playground" that links to more concept art places: http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48083
* Kendall Anderson Daily Photography: http://invisiblethreads.com/potd/collections/galleries.php?cc=1
* Opacity.us: http://www.opacity.us/
* Hazel Whorley: http://www.hazelwhorley.com/photos.html
* Awesome church made of human skulls: http://www.ludd.luth.se/~silver_p/kutna.html
* Modern Ruins - Portraits of Place: http://www.oboylephoto.com/ruins/index.htm
* CgSociety: http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/03/entries.php
* Ben Mathis: http://poopinmymouth.com/
07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
I would also like to add UDK Central as a impressive resource with now over 150 tutorials relating to UDK development - http://UDKC.info / http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Category:Tutorials . UDKC's end goal is provide a one stop resource for all the rare and useful tutorials that are lost in decayed and sunken posts like this.
02-07-2012, 07:13 PM
is there a tutorial for character setup? I mean setting up all of the custom characters animations and using kismet for AI? Like an npc character?
02-08-2012, 02:56 AM
my site's got a few tutorials as well
- How to re-bind keys in-game (http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/867698-How-to-re-bind-keys-in-game)
- Using BoneBreak for dismemberment (http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/796094-Using-BoneBreak-for-dismemberment)
- Replicating Custom Anims to all clients (http://www.sanzpont.com/chosker/elium/?p=96)
09-23-2012, 11:29 AM
A helpful site to explore
09-23-2012, 03:00 PM
My YouTube channel (link is on my signature), I'm planning on uploading more when I can.
09-24-2012, 06:52 AM
check out udk university on youtube
check out their hour long videos!!!
09-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Custom Weapon Tutorial: Mesh/Model, Rigging, Animating, Coding.
great for beginers, I hope you guys find it useful.
09-25-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised no one's said 3D Buzz (http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=292838127fecccd8b151c720035463 86) yet. Learned the ropes pretty much exclusively from them.
10-03-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm updating my blog with some (mainly scripting oriented) tutorials: http://gravityspeedrun.blogspot.com/, updated list can be found in this forum post: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/928445-my-UDK-tutorials-blog
Am I a late? hehe... just found this: www.sarahtaylor3d.com/tutorials.html
06-09-2013, 10:09 AM
http://unrealdb.com is essentially UDK Central's successor for those who are wondering what happened to it, many of the same tutorials are now listed at unrealdb. The two sites are not affiliated with each other though. I am also in the process of completing a free guide to UDK development especially oriented toward artists, also at UDB under KismetKit: UDK Dev For Artists.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.